Reload this Page >

Official 2021 NHL Off-Season Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-09-21, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Some teams are already done with their season, others have several games left for the regular season. Thanks Covid-19.

Rick Tocchet will not return as Coyotes Head Coach next season. The Coyotes will move to the Central Division next season to make way for the Seattle Kraken I believe.
Old 05-10-21, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
Re: Official 2021 NHL Off-Season Thread

Decker - your thoughts on Gerard Gallant as a head coach? He's obviously connected to Yzerman and for the past season, I've been expecting us to fire Blashill and hire Gallant for a team with lots of young talent and needing a new voice in the room. His firing from Vegas was a surprise to me.
Old 05-10-21, 09:24 AM

I liked him. Good guy, straightforward. A player's coach. He was really popular with both his players and the community. Never got a really good reason on why he was shockingly fired the first time this team dropped a few points out of playoff position, nor if the firing would have happened if De Boer was not readily available to take over.
Honestly I am kind of surprised that he wasn't hired in the last off season or before now yet. We all kind of assumed that he was waiting for the Seattle job (and you would think that they would want a coach in place well ahead of the July expansion draft).
Old 05-10-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 384 Likes on 300 Posts

Yeah, I'm also surprised Gallant hasn't been hired elsewhere. I mean, his success in Vegas was either genuine or a flash in the pan, but NHL coaches have been hired on far less ambiguity than that.

Tortorella is also out in Columbus.
Old 05-12-21, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rangers fire coach Dave Quinn. Happy to hear it. Hated having the guy who played for my college team and eventually coached them going to my most hated team in pro sports.
Old 05-18-21, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts

Blashill is back... he did show progress with a team decimated by injuries. I suspect he's on a very short leash.
Old 05-21-21, 10:50 AM

Super-weird story here. The AHL isn't having the Calder Cup this year - that's fine. But for some odd reason the seven Pacific Division teams are having a tournament to decide the division champion? The players aren't getting paid for it and they are pissed.
From The Athletic :
Spoiler:
The AHL’s decision to hold playoffs in just one division is angering players who say they don’t want to play.

For just the second time since 1937, the Calder Cup won’t be awarded this year. And, for all but one of the five pandemic-altered AHL divisions, that means the 2020-21 season ended or will end this week with the final regular-season games.

The Pacific Division, however, is playing through a postseason tournament that started earlier this week and will conclude sometime before May 29 with the winning team taking home the division title. AHL players on a whole were opposed to the playoff format. A non-binding survey of players by the Professional Hockey Players’ Association (PHPA) yielded a 133-8 vote against a postseason tournament within the Pacific Division.

Players, to put it mildly, aren’t pleased. The Athletic spoke to six current AHL players who asked to remain anonymous because they weren’t authorized to speak on the matter.

“We played a game (this week) that was essentially an exhibition that they decided to label a playoff game,” one player said. “I’m sorry, but no one cares about playing playoff games for a division title.”

Another player added: “None of us got paid to work earlier this week, while the management and scouts and everyone else were still collecting a paycheque for watching.”

The plan to play a divisional playoff came after the seven teams in the Pacific Division (representing the San Jose Sharks, Arizona Coyotes, Colorado Avalanche, Los Angeles Kings, Vegas Golden Knights, Edmonton Oilers, and Anaheim Ducks) voted 7-0 to have a postseason tournament. The other divisions could have played on as well, and the Central Division teams also considered hosting one, but only the Pacific had a majority of teams vote ‘yes’ on a playoff proposal.

For those teams in the Pacific Division, it was seen as a chance to get prospects some high-leverage games in a season that lacked them.

“We had our vote and they came back and said they don’t care,” another AHL player said. “They basically came back with this format and before we even had a chance to respond through our union, they then announced the format publicly.”

The feelings surrounding the playoff threaten to raise already high tensions between the players and the league. The truncated AHL season began with frustration among players who said they were forced into accepting a deal that paid just 48 percent of their salaries for the year.

Many players said they had gone into this season believing a playoff format would be based on the league’s ability to generate revenue, which didn’t happen. Without fans in the stands or a Calder Cup, there wasn’t much of a reason to play.

AHL president and CEO Scott Howson pointed to the agreement players signed prior to the season.

“I understand an overwhelming number of players didn’t want to play,” he said, noting that a memorandum of understanding signed by both sides, which The Athletic reviewed, was clear that potential playoff games were part of the 48 percent calculation and compensation. In fact, Howson said, compensation was only that high because of the potential to play playoffs games, since the league was trying to add as many games as possible for a proper payout of salaries.

AHL players received their final paycheques on May 16, so many who are still playing feel they aren’t getting paid for this tournament. While some teams offered to make it right for their individual players by covering leases or providing hotels, the league itself wasn’t providing any financial help for players who would still be incurring expenses for rent and leases because of this tournament.

“Everyone was basically left to fend for themselves,” one AHL player said. “Some organizations did a lot for players, setting up hotels and such, but like those games this week, no one got paid to play in those games. And yes, normally players don’t get salary in the playoffs, but there is still a playoff bonus in the CBA and nothing like that was made available.”

AHL players had the choice to opt-out of the tournament without financial penalty. But the players said they felt pressure to play and feared that opting out could be held against them in the future.

Some players also received mixed messages from their agents and advisors. According to some players, their agents told them opting out would be career suicide, while others were told by their agents that they should opt-out since they had already fulfilled their responsibilities on a contract in a weird year.

“It became this big thing and issue for, what, one game for two of the teams?” one player said. “We didn’t need any of this.”

Multiple AHL players placed blame on Howson, who replaced the retiring Dave Andrews last summer. Andrews had negotiated one deal with AHL players before retiring, which would have paid 75 to 80 percent of salaries before it was renegotiated by Howson in January after the number of games likely to be played had to be decreased as the season’s start date was delayed twice.

Howson has been put in a difficult position taking over during a pandemic. Still, the players who spoke to The Athletic consistently said they felt that things would have been handled differently if Andrews was still in charge. An NHL source, meanwhile, pointed out that Howson isn’t responsible for making sure the PHPA communicates effectively within its own ranks.

Either way, there is uneasiness between the league and the PHPA as they try to navigate a future with a new regime and turn their focus to the 2021-22 season, which all sides are hopeful will feature a Calder Cup trophy presentation.

“Because of how they’ve acted and treated us over the last year, our union and our agents have to really take notice,” another AHL player said. “We have to realize we are dealing with a new regime and … we have to pivot accordingly in the future to actually get a fair setup on things.”
Old 05-27-21, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Gretzky is climbing on board the Turner Sports hockey train.

https://www.nhl.com/news/wayne-gretz...st/c-325009610
Old 06-02-21, 10:03 PM

The Sabres won the Draft Lottery and will pick first. The expansion Seattle Kraken will pick second. The Anaheim Ducks will pick third
The following users liked this post:
andicus (06-02-21)
Old 06-02-21, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

When is the expansion draft?
Old 06-02-21, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 255 Likes on 210 Posts

First round will be July 23rd and rounds 2-7 will be July 24th.
Old 06-02-21, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the expansion draft itself is on the 21st.

Given how the Sharks played this year I don't really care who they decide not to protect.
Old 06-02-21, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 255 Likes on 210 Posts

Oops. Yes, he did say expansion draft.
Old 06-02-21, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
I think the expansion draft itself is on the 21st.

Given how the Sharks played this year I don't really care who they decide not to protect.
I was at the VGK Expansion Draft. Your Front Office did a great job protecting players because we didn't get shit from the Sharks

Old 06-02-21, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How many players including goalies will teams be able to protect?
Old 06-03-21, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
How many players including goalies will teams be able to protect?
EXPANSION

Kraken 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

Seattle will select one player from each team, excluding Vegas

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
April 30, 2021
  • The Seattle Kraken officially joined the NHL on April 30 when they made their final expansion payment. The 32nd team in the NHL will begin play in the 2021-22 season. .

The 2021 NHL Expansion Draft, which is scheduled for July 21, will be under the same rules for the Kraken as the Vegas Golden Knights in 2017. The Kraken will select one player from each team excluding the Golden Knights for a total of 30 (14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goalies) not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules.

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. The Kraken cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year professionals, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.
Old 06-05-21, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lame that Vegas is excluded.
Old 06-05-21, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Lame that Vegas is excluded.
They don’t get a share of Seattle’s expansion buy-in fee, so it would be unreasonable to expect them to part with any players.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (06-08-21)
Old 06-05-21, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am guessing that Seattle will get a goalie from Toronto.
Old 06-08-21, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
They don’t get a share of Seattle’s expansion buy-in fee, so it would be unreasonable to expect them to part with any players.
I forgot about that.
Old 06-11-21, 02:56 AM

You guys may remember that I’ve posted a few times how the Nurse Practitioner I employ and her family are neighbors and good friends with former Golden Knight and current (or former, I guess) Colorado Avalanche forward Pierre Bellmare, and how they have over the years gifted me with his team-signed jersey and playoff game-used stick. Well to my surprise there is an article today in The Athletic — not just about Pierre and how he is still beloved in Las Vegas, but his close relationship to them! It’s pretty cool.

https://theathletic.com/2642666/2021...rmer-nhl-home/
The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
B.A. (06-14-21), BearFan (06-12-21), davidh777 (06-28-21)
Old 06-15-21, 01:12 AM

The Rangers hire beloved former Golden Knights coach Gerald Gallant as their next head coach. Congrats!
Old 06-21-21, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Former NHL defenseman Tom Kurvers died

Former NHL player Tom Kurvers dies at 58 from lung cancer (nbcsports.com)

He unfortunately might always be remembered as the player the Devils traded to the Leafs for their #1 pick in 1991, which almost ended up being first overall: Eric Lindros. Instead it was the 3rd pick (expansion San Jose was given the 2nd), Scott Niedermayer.
Old 06-21-21, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

To Leafs fans, that's really all Tom Kurvers is known for.

But Leafs fans are used to stuff like that.

Like trading away their 1st round pick which wound up being used for Roberto Luongo.
Trading away Tukka Rask.
Trading a first in 2010 (2nd overall) and a first in 2011 (9th overall) to Boston - which they drafted Tyler Sequin and Dougie Hamilton.
Drafting Luke Richardson instead of getting Joe Sakic
Having 3 1st round picks in the '89 draft (#3, #12, #21) and drafting Scott Thornton, Rob Pearson and Steve Bancroft... all from the Belleville Bulls. Who? Exactly.
Andy many many more.
Old 06-21-21, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Hey, I remember Steve Bancroft!

Played for our IHL team and was pretty good. I think he even got called up a couple of times. But that's not exactly what you want to say about a first round pick I imagine.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.