Reload this Page >

The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-31-20, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts

Man, what a wild ride we had not only in the world of pro wrestling, but the world in general. I never thought I would ever live to see a wrestling event held without fans. As we say goodbye to 2020 and hello to a fresh, new start in 2021, let's not forget the ones who did not live to see the new year ring in. Here's a video of WWE Superstars remembering the late, great Jon Huber.

The following users liked this post:
Nesbit (01-01-21)
Old 01-01-21, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Had plans to attend the NJPW MSG show in 2020, we even had our plane tickets. Hopefully it happens in 2021.

As of right now I'm looking forward to the Finn Balor/Kyle O Reilly rematch and binge watching the ROH shows that I wasn't aware were back.
Old 01-04-21, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1 is happening right now! Always look forward to NJPWs biggest event.
Old 01-04-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 523 Likes on 365 Posts

No shit, Hulkster. Say racist shit, and most guys will lose your respect.
Old 01-04-21, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 536 Likes on 437 Posts

To be fair though thereís no one on the roster even close to comparable to Hogan in terms of star power. Obviously I donít condone the racist comments heís made in the past, but heís still a draw and will probably help boost the ratings for a night. The legends really accentuate how weak the roster is.
Old 01-05-21, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
To be fair though thereís no one on the roster even close to comparable to Hogan in terms of star power. Obviously I donít condone the racist comments heís made in the past, but heís still a draw and will probably help boost the ratings for a night. The legends really accentuate how weak the roster is.

That's true but is not the roster's fault. Vince didn't give Hogan, Austin or the Rock these convoluted, overproduced, overworded scripts to go out there and spout without any rhyme or reason back when these guys were on top. Then, just look at last night at how Hogan was given this stupid overwritten promo to start RAW and you could see that even a guy like Hogan wouldn't be able to get over thanks to that bullshit. The way things are done now basically handcuffs talent from getting over. And now without a live crowd is even worse because there's no pushback for this bullshit.
Old 01-05-21, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, I find it ridiculous that Goldberg is being pushed better than the entire roster in 2021, getting a title shot out of nowhere. Man, if Vince would have pushed Goldberg like this back in 2003-04, things would have been very different.
Old 01-05-21, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
That's true but is not the roster's fault. Vince didn't give Hogan, Austin or the Rock these convoluted, overproduced, overworded scripts to go out there and spout without any rhyme or reason back when these guys were on top. Then, just look at last night at how Hogan was given this stupid overwritten promo to start RAW and you could see that even a guy like Hogan wouldn't be able to get over thanks to that bullshit. The way things are done now basically handcuffs talent from getting over. And now without a live crowd is even worse because there's no pushback for this bullshit.
Even if he gave them free reign, I don't think there's any way they can recreate the attitude era for a multitude of reasons. I just don't think the audience is there to really create another star at that level, and even if the pure numbers are there, so many fans seem so cynical that I'm not sure anyone could actually get "over" at least not to that level. Guys like Punk and Bryan show that railing against Vince and freeing things up can pay off, but I also think that at least part of their success was going against the establishment anyway. Once the establishment supports/pushes you? Forget it.
Old 01-05-21, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts

Why in the world does Vince trot out Goldberg to take up a spot in the hunt for the WWE Championship? Goldberg should stay out of the picture and retire for good.
Old 01-05-21, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Why in the world does Vince trot out Goldberg to take up a spot in the hunt for the WWE Championship? Goldberg should stay out of the picture and retire for good.
I think the obvious reason is rating suck and trying to bring in casual fans. Kind of like this Legends night stuff. However, it doesn't do anything long term even if somebody beats Goldberg.
Old 01-05-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Even if he gave them free reign, I don't think there's any way they can recreate the attitude era for a multitude of reasons. I just don't think the audience is there to really create another star at that level, and even if the pure numbers are there, so many fans seem so cynical that I'm not sure anyone could actually get "over" at least not to that level. Guys like Punk and Bryan show that railing against Vince and freeing things up can pay off, but I also think that at least part of their success was going against the establishment anyway. Once the establishment supports/pushes you? Forget it.
I also just donít think there are many guys at the level of Hogan, Rock, Austin, HBK, Triple, H, Cena, etc. Punk and Bryan were the last two guys to really breakout as stars.

Really who is the big star of this generation who will be remembered? I canít think of one. There are good workers, but none of them truly stand out as big stars.
Old 01-05-21, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I also just donít think there are many guys at the level of Hogan, Rock, Austin, HBK, Triple, H, Cena, etc. Punk and Bryan were the last two guys to really breakout as stars.

Really who is the big star of this generation who will be remembered? I canít think of one. There are good workers, but none of them truly stand out as big stars.
I'm sure there is an audience, as wrestling still draw big enough to demand that TV channels carry them. Right now we have WWE, AEW, Impact, MLW, ROH and other smaller promotions on weekly TV. Saying that there isn't guys out there that can be stars is the same mentality that WCW had in the 90's with people like Mark Callaway, Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Terra Ryzing, Sexton Hardcastle, and many others. Yes, there are people out there, but the only way to let them get over is by going back to basics. Let the wrestlers speak naturally. Let them tell stories in the ring instead of the matches becoming spotfests. Let the crowd dictate what they like and what they don't.

Bray Wyatt is over. The SHIELD was over. Keith Lee was over. Becky Lynch is over. There are many wrestlers out there right now that can be 1A+ level stars like Stone Cold and the Rock and Hogan. The problem is that when these wrestlers are booked 50/50 and put in stupid storylines with verbiage that no one says in real life, it makes it real hard for them to get over and connect with fans. Being against Vince isn't the only thing that made CM Punk and Daniel Bryan over. It was the fact that fans connected to them. They were people being screwed in real life out of success for no good reason.

This should have been the night the torch was passed to Bryan and Punk. Instead, we got a brief flash of brilliance and back to the same boring shit. Just look at the organic reaction from the crowd.

Old 01-05-21, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

I don't think the audience is anywhere near where we were in the Attitude era. From my understanding, the WWE ratings have been terrible even when they were basically the only "live sports" available. AEW is doing well but I don't think it's anywhere near WCW even in the waning days. I kind of doubt anyone will ever be as big as Hogan, Rock, or Austin (Cena probably comes closest).

I will say it's pretty cool to hear the NFL and NBA have to promote wrestling, though.
Old 01-05-21, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the audience is anywhere near where we were in the Attitude era. From my understanding, the WWE ratings have been terrible even when they were basically the only "live sports" available. AEW is doing well but I don't think it's anywhere near WCW even in the waning days. I kind of doubt anyone will ever be as big as Hogan, Rock, or Austin (Cena probably comes closest).

I will say it's pretty cool to hear the NFL and NBA have to promote wrestling, though.
It's a weird thing because the day to day audience is not near the Monday Night Wars but the overall audience for the product still there. Wrestling has positioned themselves in the same league as professional sports and people still consume the products (network, toys, merchandise, etc) in a much better way than during the 1993-95 years.

There still a huge audience. Wrestlemania sells out as fast as the Super Bowl. The solution is that Vince needs to pass the reigns to people who are in-touch with society. It's very hard for an old guy like him who doesn't watch TV to know what is cool and what isn't.
Old 01-05-21, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Saying that there isn't guys out there that can be stars is the same mentality that WCW had in the 90's with people like Mark Callaway, Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Terra Ryzing, Sexton Hardcastle, and many others.
Edge was never in WCW. Sexton Hardcastle was his indy gimmick.

I used to see him, Christian (Cage), Rhino (Richards), and Joe E. Legend as the group "Thug Life" all the time on the Detroit Indy scene for ICW. They were awesome.
Old 01-05-21, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem is that the guys who are stars now days are mostly the comedic style guys. That just isnít my style whatsoever, and I question how long that will last, and how much long term damage it will do to the business.
Old 01-05-21, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Edge was never in WCW. Sexton Hardcastle was his indy gimmick.

I used to see him, Christian (Cage), Rhino (Richards), and Joe E. Legend as the group "Thug Life" all the time on the Detroit Indy scene for ICW. They were awesome.
Yes he was, under the name Damon Striker

The following 3 users liked this post by Red Hood:
Deadman31 (01-05-21), Obi-Wanma (01-06-21), Sonny Corinthos (01-06-21)
Old 01-05-21, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I take that back, but was ever contracted to WCW, or was he just a random indy guy doing job work, as many of them do. Seeing as I had never heard about this until now, I would guess it was more likely the latter, The made up name was probably to protect his valuable at the time indy character.
Old 01-05-21, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After his run as Sexton, he was brought in and given tryout matches in 1996, but the powers that be, including Bischoff and Sullivan, didn't see anything special. Later that year, WWF brought him in for some matches in Canada, was sent to Bret Hart's house, where he was training wrestlers while injured and then WWF officially signed him to a developmental deal.
Old 01-05-21, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, it is weird seeing Edge interact with the Giant so early in his career and later on they both went to become industry legends.
Old 01-05-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well to be fair, even as someone who watched and enjoyed him in the indies, I never really envisioned him becoming what he ultimately became either, so I wouldn't particularly blame WCW for not hitching their horse to him based on a few tryout matches. These kinds of matches happen every weekend (or they used to), and WWE has missed the boat on guys this way too. There's plenty of other guys that they actually had and misused to pin on them. Thanks for those matches though, I had never seen them!
The following users liked this post:
Red Hood (01-05-21)
Old 01-06-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know if this one was posted before, but it's heartbreaking

Old 01-06-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 292 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Well to be fair, even as someone who watched and enjoyed him in the indies, I never really envisioned him becoming what he ultimately became either, so I wouldn't particularly blame WCW for not hitching their horse to him based on a few tryout matches. These kinds of matches happen every weekend (or they used to), and WWE has missed the boat on guys this way too. There's plenty of other guys that they actually had and misused to pin on them. Thanks for those matches though, I had never seen them!
Was that the same for Hunter? I remember seeing him briefly in WCW and then he was in the WWF.
Old 01-07-21, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts

Itís a good thing AEW signed Sting. If there is one thing theyíve been lacking itís having someone gingerly walk to and from the ring and just stare at people every Wednesday for 2 months.
Old 01-07-21, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Was that the same for Hunter? I remember seeing him briefly in WCW and then he was in the WWF.
HHH was actually under contract to WCW for a year. He at first used his indy gimmck of Terra Ryzing and later transitioned to the blue blood type character of Jean-Paul Levesque and was teamed with Steven Regal.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.