The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 12-11-21, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Exactly. Tony Khan is not a moron fanboy. He has a very positive locker room that raves about working for him. The same locker room that kept their mouth shut last year when Brodie Lee was sick. He's not going to ruin the dynamic by bringing in someone who is a liability because of his addictions. Bottom line is that Jeff Hardy needs help. Hardy seems to be as stubborn as Kurt Angle was when Angle had his drug issues. Either he goes to rehab or neither company will sign him.

This. While his Twitter remarks could be a bit more well timed, Khan seems to have a good grip on why so much talent is leaving WWE. AEW isn't beating WWE anytime soon (at least in overall ratings), so the best he can do is build morale, a good roster, and then hopefully turn a profit with the company. The programming just needs to get a bit more consistent rather than a great show one week and then something that appears more WWE lite the next.
Old 12-11-21, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 841 Likes on 577 Posts

Well Nick Khan and the Rock are tight. I was wrong thinking that the Nia Jax issue would get in between the Rock coming back to WWE vs Roman.

https://www.instagram.com/therock/p/...dium=copy_link
Old 12-12-21, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 258 Likes on 179 Posts

FTR attacked The Briscoes at ROH Final Battle. Dear god I hope they signed with AEW. Thatís a tag team dream match. 2 best tag teams in the world.
Old 12-12-21, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
FTR attacked The Briscoes at ROH Final Battle. Dear god I hope they signed with AEW. Thatís a tag team dream match. 2 best tag teams in the world.

This is another thing AEW does correctly that WWE doesn't; actually acknowledge other promotions and then work with them to build special events and cross over programs. I really do wish all of the non-WWE companies would find a way to agree on some kind of NWA type agreement title that can be defended at any show done by a member of the group.
Old 12-12-21, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,097 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
This is another thing AEW does correctly that WWE doesn't; actually acknowledge other promotions and then work with them to build special events and cross over programs. I really do wish all of the non-WWE companies would find a way to agree on some kind of NWA type agreement title that can be defended at any show done by a member of the group.
Well ROH is in dire straights which is why Tony said he'd do something for them.
Old 12-12-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Well ROH is in dire straights which is why Tony said he'd do something for them.
ROH is owned by Sinclair, which has basically screwed what was good about the promotion since they took over. It didnít help that it was a better training ground than what WWE had for years, so their talent kept getting poached by Vince.
Old 12-13-21, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Big rumor about a surprise entrant at next year's Women's Royal Rumble
Spoiler:
Rumor going around that Paige has been cleared to wrestle and will come back at the Royal Rumble.

Old 12-13-21, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 104 Posts

Alberto Del Rio was cleared of all charges(as the witness failed to appear). This according to one of the YouTube wrestling channels.

He did say in the past that he would like too return to the WWE but I don't think anything has been written in stone.

Also it was said that the WWE is seeking AEW's permission to interview past WWE stars for upcoming documentaries on WWE Network. Tony Khan seemed to be ok with it. Afterall Jericho did appear on Stone Cold Austin's show .
Old 12-13-21, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Well Nick Khan and the Rock are tight. I was wrong thinking that the Nia Jax issue would get in between the Rock coming back to WWE vs Roman.

What, you actually thought Nia Jax no longer being in WWE would prevent the Rock from coming back. That astonishes me.
Old 12-14-21, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like Hook can wrestle. Someone just needs to teach him how to comb his hair.
Old 12-14-21, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Itís really noticeable how bad the Bucks are when you see how much Adam Coles stock has plummeted since joining the Elite. Heís a clown just like them now. This wouldnít be happening if it was Roddy and Kyle instead of the Bucks.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (12-14-21)
Old 12-14-21, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 159 Likes on 121 Posts

Itís really noticeable how bad the Bucks are when you see how much Adam Coles stock has plummeted since joining the Elite. Heís a clown just like them now. This wouldnít be happening if it was Roddy and Kyle instead of the Bucks.
I agree, I just don't understand why Cole would want to be booked like this? If he wanted to be a clown, he should have resigned with WWE. Also, someone needs to reel The Bucks in. There stupid antics are taking away TV time from people who can actually wrestle.
Old 12-14-21, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 521 Likes on 366 Posts

I'm not a huge Bucks fan either, but how exactly has Cole's stock dropped? And how exactly would he be better off with Fish and O'Reilly? For one thing, he is already with Fish (and there's a good chance O'Reilly is coming) and two, the Bucks are 1000x the stars that those guys are, no matter your personal preferences. Cole's also being set up to feud with Omega when he returns, which feels like a pretty big deal to me. They've been doing lots of cool, subtle storytelling with that stuff and I can't wait to see it pay off.
​​​

​​​​
Boondock Saint (12-14-21)
Old 12-14-21, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I'd venture a guess and say that, even with this crowd, if you put Cole, Fish and O'Reilly together to face the Bucks and the flunky the Bucks get booed out of the building. Not heel boos but go away boos. Even this crowd prefers wrestling to whatever the Bucks call what they do.
Sonny Corinthos (12-15-21)
Old 12-14-21, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Looks like Hook can wrestle. Someone just needs to teach him how to comb his hair.
It was cool seeing little bits that his dad Taz must have passed on to him. And not surprisingly that hair-combing is a skill Taz can't help much with

It's such a contrast between how Taz does heel color commentary and how Corey Graves does it. Graves will just bury that faces saying they suck at everything ... which begs the question why we should bother watching people who suck. Taz will express his dislike for the faces but always puts over that they're good in the ring (and he can't wait for one of his wrestlers to get a hold of them).
Old 12-14-21, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 521 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I'd venture a guess and say that, even with this crowd, if you put Cole, Fish and O'Reilly together to face the Bucks and the flunky the Bucks get booed out of the building. Not heel boos but go away boos. Even this crowd prefers wrestling to whatever the Bucks call what they do.
I don't doubt for a second that they'd cheer the UE over the Bucks, but we know what it looks like when the AEW crowd turns on the product (Cody, Dark Order circa 2019) and nothing so far has indicated that they've turned on the Bucks.
Old 12-14-21, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
What, you actually thought Nia Jax no longer being in WWE would prevent the Rock from coming back. That astonishes me.
Like I said before, the Rock is very loyal to people that are family and that are loyal to him. Nia Jax lived with the Rock's mom for 2 years and took care of her while she recovered from the almost fatal accident she had around 6 years ago. The other big issue is that the Rock is a very big proponent about dealing with mental health issues and by all accounts Nia was fired because she asked for more time off due to her dealing with mental health issues. As the Rock has shown in the past, he will work with loyal people and cross off people who have screwed him or his family. One of the main reasons we never saw the Rock face Shawn Michaels was due to how HBK treated Dwayne during his first 2 years in the company.
Old 12-14-21, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

The other big issue is that the Rock is a very big proponent about dealing with mental health issues and by all accounts Nia was fired because she asked for more time off due to her dealing with mental health issues.
I agree with you about the Rock's loyalty, but other than from Jax herself, who else implied she was fired for wanting more time off? She's a sloppy, lazy, dangerous worker and should have been fired long ago.
Old 12-15-21, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Yup, in a sea of people let go she wants to say that's the reason she was let go. It was just her time to go.
Old 12-15-21, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 104 Posts

The Bloodhunter(aka Devon Nicholson,HannibalTV) was fired by World Class Wrestling over the weekend for going beyond the call of duty when he cut a ref.

Afterwards Nicholson said he quit.

He had been giving a lot of publicity about the event but now he isn't associated with the company and he probably will pull all of the videos associated with World Class from his YouTube channel.

He also had a dispute with SWE Fury(now defunct???) about not getting paid but recently he had began showing clips from SWE Fury on his YouTube Channel.
Old 12-15-21, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, the dude went way beyond. Apparently the ref was supposed to blade but didn't blade deep enough so the guy took it into his own hands with an unwilling ref:

Old 12-15-21, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Nia Jax issue aside, he wouldn't even make a 30 second pretaped video for Survivor Series where they spent the whole PPV sucking his dick. Even if he good friend NK and Vince,the notion that one of the biggest movie stars on the planet is gonna risk possibly tens of millions of dollars by wrestling at WM seems unlikely. He basically cost a movie he was filming millions of dollars wrestling Cena in his early 40's,him tearing his peck in his Cena rematch basically ensured he is most likely never wrestling again. If they somehow by a miracle got Rock to agree to a match,they would announce before WM tickets even went on sale as they would want to maximize as much as they can from something that would cost them probably 5-10 million dollars.
Old 12-15-21, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

Kevin Owens re-signed with WWE. Cant say I care. I was a fan of Steen but had no interest in Owens for long time. Although, I certainly understand why he is staying financially.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/kevin...deal-with-wwe/

Old 12-15-21, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In the beginning of the Adam Page/Danielson match I was like, yeah, this is going to another draw. They were feeling each other out and taking it slow. By the middle of the match I'm like, how can this last another 30 minutes? A completely different style of match than the Omega/Danielson match but I thought it was still great. Love or hate AEW, the matches that Danielson has been able to put on and just the fact that he's out there busting his behind pretty much every week is an amazing thing to see. Hard to believe he almost retired. Also hard to believe he could've probably had a much easier road, probably making more money, staying where he did (and I don't blame guys like Owens from doing that) but he was like nope, I want to wrestle, I want to see how good I still am, etc.

I mean he texted Moxley before making his decision and he said "I'm not sure I can keep up with these young guys" and Mox basically laughed in his face and said "You're Bryan F***ing Danielson."
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
Boondock Saint (12-16-21), Red Hood (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Nia Jax issue aside, he wouldn't even make a 30 second pretaped video for Survivor Series where they spent the whole PPV sucking his dick. Even if he good friend NK and Vince,the notion that one of the biggest movie stars on the planet is gonna risk possibly tens of millions of dollars by wrestling at WM seems unlikely. He basically cost a movie he was filming millions of dollars wrestling Cena in his early 40's,him tearing his peck in his Cena rematch basically ensured he is most likely never wrestling again. If they somehow by a miracle got Rock to agree to a match,they would announce before WM tickets even went on sale as they would want to maximize as much as they can from something that would cost them probably 5-10 million dollars.
The rumor at one point was that the match between Roman and the Rock was going to be done cinematically. With the next WM being at Cowboys Stadium, they want the match to be live to sell out that huge ass arena. The Rock is 49, so this is his last chance of doing this. The storyline itself it's leading to this. If WWE doesn't provide this main event that they keep teasing and do another Brock/Roman fight or put someone like Drew, it certainly will be another disappointment in the long list of disappointments that WWE has been over the last 8 years. I agree that there's nothing for the Rock be in this match, but he still loves the business and apparently still wants to give back.

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Kevin Owens re-signed with WWE. Cant say I care. I was a fan of Steen but had no interest in Owens for long time. Although, I certainly understand why he is staying financially.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/kevin...deal-with-wwe/
I think Owens saw the writing on the wall that there are too many top level free agents out there right now with Bray Wyatt, Braun, Gargano among others besides the ones that have already joined AEW and he won't get as much money in AEW but also he could be easily lost in the mix and his stock drop due to too many newcomers. In WWE right now he has a top spot and is getting top money. He can ride this out for a while longer and then go to AEW if he desires. The fact that there's competition though really helped him money wise for sure.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
In the beginning of the Adam Page/Danielson match I was like, yeah, this is going to another draw. They were feeling each other out and taking it slow. By the middle of the match I'm like, how can this last another 30 minutes? A completely different style of match than the Omega/Danielson match but I thought it was still great. Love or hate AEW, the matches that Danielson has been able to put on and just the fact that he's out there busting his behind pretty much every week is an amazing thing to see. Hard to believe he almost retired. Also hard to believe he could've probably had a much easier road, probably making more money, staying where he did (and I don't blame guys like Owens from doing that) but he was like nope, I want to wrestle, I want to see how good I still am, etc.

I mean he texted Moxley before making his decision and he said "I'm not sure I can keep up with these young guys" and Mox basically laughed in his face and said "You're Bryan F***ing Danielson."
This is why the recent comments by Ric Flair dismissing Bryan as a nobody really piss me off. Bryan is one of the all time greats whether Ric likes it or not. Flair says that Bryan isn't Steamboat. Well Ricky Steamboat was never WWF champion. Ricky Steamboat never had arenas around the US scream "Yes" at their top of their lungs. Steamboat was one of the best wrestlers ever, but promo wise, he sucked. Bryan on the other hand is a great wrestler and a great promo. He is a top tier guy in the history of prowrestling

Last edited by Red Hood; 12-17-21 at 07:09 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.