Reload this Page >

The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 09-22-21, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 525 Likes on 367 Posts
Re: The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

What did I miss that Cody is getting booed?
Old 09-22-21, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-22-21, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-22-21, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 296 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they're just tired of seeing those Rhodes to the Top promos.
Old 09-22-21, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts

Great fuckin episode of Dynamite. I think this is the first episode they’ve had that has been from top to bottom stars and stars in the making. No one looked out of place there tonight.

My only criticism: why would mist being sprayed in your eyes make you unable to kick out of a small package? That made no sense, they forgot a finisher in between mist and pin.
Old 09-23-21, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Great fuckin episode of Dynamite. I think this is the first episode they’ve had that has been from top to bottom stars and stars in the making. No one looked out of place there tonight.

My only criticism: why would mist being sprayed in your eyes make you unable to kick out of a small package? That made no sense, they forgot a finisher in between mist and pin.
I think Arn Anderson's fall kinda changed things for a moment as they had to make minor adjustments and maybe that's why Black didn't kick him after the mist before the small package.
Old 09-23-21, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 226 Likes on 163 Posts

I was in the building last night and can tell you that the primary reason was because people are totally on fire for Black. No one wanted to see him lose and people were afraid of Cody getting his win back so quickly (something he's done a couple of times to others in the last year or so). When Cody's music hit, it was more of a 50/50 reaction but the crowd completely turned against him as the match went on. Black is the hot new thing and Cody is just Cody.

I think there's also a segment of the fans who have grown tired of his act in general. He's a good, not great wrestler in a company of studs and he does a lot of mainstream stuff some fans don't like. And don't discount the New York factor. That audience has a tendency to react this way. Cody seems to play much better as a face in the south.

The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
Mikey Osmond (09-25-21), Red Hood (09-23-21)
Old 09-23-21, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Did FTR really lose to a 62 year old man? Tell me again how they're not being buried.
Old 09-23-21, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I was in the building last night and can tell you that the primary reason was because people are totally on fire for Black. No one wanted to see him lose and people were afraid of Cody getting his win back so quickly (something he's done a couple of times to others in the last year or so). When Cody's music hit, it was more of a 50/50 reaction but the crowd completely turned against him as the match went on. Black is the hot new thing and Cody is just Cody.

I think there's also a segment of the fans who have grown tired of his act in general. He's a good, not great wrestler in a company of studs and he does a lot of mainstream stuff some fans don't like. And don't discount the New York factor. That audience has a tendency to react this way. Cody seems to play much better as a face in the south.
Yup, I wasn't there (how was it by the way? That crowd seemed like fire, it's hard for me to imagine a reaction like that to just two people locking up in a WWE show), but I agree. And the weird thing is that while Cody played it up a little, the announcers did not which makes me think it's not a planned thing and took them a little bit by surprise. Like you'd think there would be some self awareness there, that those grand self indulgent entrances Cody has had are perfect things to turn him heel, but I don't think they think of it that way. And then I think Brandi herself just has heel heat (it doesn't help that they positioned her as a heel from almost the beginning even when Cody was still a face). The commercial for that reality show has started heavily emphasizing the booking/backstage parts of the show, even though I'm sure it's filled with reality nonsense that the wrestling audience will absolutely hate. They need to turn him heel or at least start the process soon, but I don't think they can with the reality show starting. Maybe it was just the area but I think he's going to get Cena-like unwanted heat.

The first thing I thought of when Black was lying with his head under the ring (at such a weird angle) was that the mist was coming.

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Did FTR really lose to a 62 year old man? Tell me again how they're not being buried.
First off, Sting looked great in there, and it's because of FTR (there was actually so much selling in all of the matches last night). If you want to have a 62 year old man look like a million bucks and not get injured, FTR are your men. Personally I don't think it hurts them at all though I would have liked to see them go over. They aren't being buried at all.

But that match between Danielson and Omega was incredible. I know Omega has his detractors here, and you could telegraph that ending a mile away, but man the crowd was great, the pace was great and it left you wanting more, which is exactly what this should have been. I would recommend trying to catch the whole thing but AEW did put up the ending on youtube:

Kenny already setting up the storyline:

I also thought it was cool that they ended with the Women's title match

Last edited by fujishig; 09-23-21 at 08:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikey Osmond (09-25-21)
Old 09-23-21, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
(how was it by the way? That crowd seemed like fire, it's hard for me to imagine a reaction like that to just two people locking up in a WWE show)
It was awesome. The crowd was molten for that first match. Opening the show was probably the best thing they could do in order to maximize the reaction for that particular match, but other than a handful of moments throughout the night, the crowd never got close to that level again. It was still a relatively hot crowd, but it's hard to know how it came off compared to other shows because I haven't seen the broadcast version.

Combined with Rampage, it was a LONG night and I was afraid the energy would crash by the end. It never completely crashed, but it was tough to maintain the initial energy. Poor Anna Jay and Penelope Ford had to go on at 11:30 when everyone was just ready for Moxley and Kingston so they could go home. Speaking of Kingston, he got the biggest reaction outside of the opening match, Punk and Adam Cole. I love Eddie, and he was in his hometown, but given his reactions lately, you'd think he was one of the biggest stars in the world. He addressed the crowd after the show and got real emotional talking about his deceased mom and you can just tell that the last year has been the greatest time of his life. I'd say you could probably find the clip on YouTube, but I'd wait until you see the show on Friday if you're spoiler sensitive.
Old 09-23-21, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I like Eddie but the reaction he gets from the crowds has really surprised me. Like people talk about giving him a run with the title and how big a pop that would be, and maybe a few months ago I would've said no way but he certainly is a crowd favorite.

I know he said on that interview with Renee that he was offered a contract with WWE at the same time as AEW, and if true he definitely chose wisely (or he would have been released as of NXT 2.0). He's one guy where everytime I look at him I'm just like "what is this" but then he gets on the mic and just riles up the crowd.

Last edited by fujishig; 09-23-21 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-23-21, 11:58 AM

I wish Eddie was about 10-20% percent better in the ring and would maybe lose some of the gut, but otherwise I've grown to love him. Heel or face, it doesn't matter. He can sell anything on the mic. I believe everything he says. He's by far my favorite promo in AEW. The fact that they botched his face turn so badly (the exploding ring deal) and he STILL became one of the 4 or 5 most popular guys on the roster is a testament to his talent. It's funny, when he was first paired with Moxley I thought that might be too big a step down for Moxley coming off being the champion. Now it feels like Eddie is surpassing him in popularity. I would totally be down for a quickie title reign, although maybe the TNT title would be a more realistic goal. He's the perfect transitional champ because he could have his big moment, but losing soon after wouldn't really affect his standing. Roddy Piper's IC title run feels like a good comp.
Old 09-23-21, 12:12 PM

Also, I watched the tv version of Omega/Danielson. Even though I knew the crowd was nuts in the building, I couldn't believe how well it came off on tv. Just felt like a massive, massive deal. I think I liked the match even more seeing it on tv. I only had one little question/criticism. I don't know if you guys could pick this up at home, but after the runway v-trigger, Danielson fell out of the ring and 100% was getting counted out. The only reason he didn't was that Kenny broke the count at 9 and went outside the ring to deliver more punishment. I figured that would play into the story of the match as Kenny should have just taken the victory any way he could (Danielson really sold it as though he had been killed dead), but got cocky and lost or something. Watching it on tv I realized that it all took place during the picture in picture and was never really referenced after the fact. I get that this is the sort of the thing they often do to fill in dead time during the commercial and that it's sometimes best not to scrutinize the logic surrounding count-outs or the lack-there-of, but watching live, it really felt like Kenny had won decisively in a way that you don't usually see. It just seemed odd considering that the ultimate story told was that the two are so evenly matched that they went to a draw.
Old 09-23-21, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, I watched the tv version of Omega/Danielson. Even though I knew the crowd was nuts in the building, I couldn't believe how well it came off on tv. Just felt like a massive, massive deal. I think I liked the match even more seeing it on tv. I only had one little question/criticism. I don't know if you guys could pick this up at home, but after the runway v-trigger, Danielson fell out of the ring and 100% was getting counted out. The only reason he didn't was that Kenny broke the count at 9 and went outside the ring to deliver more punishment. I figured that would play into the story of the match as Kenny should have just taken the victory any way he could (Danielson really sold it as though he had been killed dead), but got cocky and lost or something. Watching it on tv I realized that it all took place during the picture in picture and was never really referenced after the fact. I get that this is the sort of the thing they often do to fill in dead time during the commercial and that it's sometimes best not to scrutinize the logic surrounding count-outs or the lack-there-of, but watching live, it really felt like Kenny had won decisively in a way that you don't usually see. It just seemed odd considering that the ultimate story told was that the two are so evenly matched that they went to a draw.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Also I hope those advertisers paid a lot of money because man I would have loved just an uninterrupted match with no PIP.

The other thing that was kind of similar that stood out to me was when Malachi Black kicked Cody, and Cody fell to the floor outside. Black went out and couldn't get him back in the ring, Cody was knocked out. But at the 8 count he rolled back in the ring. Just struck me as odd that Black didn't further punish Cody on the floor or get him back in the ring.
Mikey Osmond (09-25-21)
Old 09-23-21, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Yeah, I noticed that too. Also I hope those advertisers paid a lot of money because man I would have loved just an uninterrupted match with no PIP.

The other thing that was kind of similar that stood out to me was when Malachi Black kicked Cody, and Cody fell to the floor outside. Black went out and couldn't get him back in the ring, Cody was knocked out. But at the 8 count he rolled back in the ring. Just struck me as odd that Black didn't further punish Cody on the floor or get him back in the ring.
At first I assumed he was trying to get him back into the ring, then I convinced myself that he actually had him in some sort submission. But then like you said, he drops him and Cody just gets back into the ring. Definitely an awkward spot.
Old 09-23-21, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Definitely an awkward spot.
The most awkward spot was Arn falling off the ring apron and getting up just in time for the planned spot of getting kicked off the ring apron.
Old 09-23-21, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
The most awkward spot was Arn falling off the ring apron and getting up just in time for the planned spot of getting kicked off the ring apron.
Yeah, he couldn't make it around the ringpost which considering their ring extends way beyond the ropes made me kind of worry for his safety out there. It was made doubly weird because Cody was directing him to go to that spot, but why, was he going to interfere in the match by hitting Black? So odd.

Even the ending, I was wondering how he was going to get the mist out without the ref seeing and Cody just kind of inexplicably hits the ref to allow that sequence to happen.
Old 09-23-21, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cody being booed by the fans just because he's the face of the company is kind of weird, since there wouldn't be AEW without him. Still, I expected all the VPs to turn heel after a years because one of the negative things about most AEW fans is that they are marks and the nature of the business is that marks jeer company executives no matter what. Cody is a solid wrestler with great charisma and could easily be World Champion but the problem will always be is that if he will always be looked at as a person in power, like HHH or Jeff Jarrett
Old 09-23-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cody being booed by the fans just because he's the face of the company is kind of weird, since there wouldn't be AEW without him. Still, I expected all the VPs to turn heel after a years because one of the negative things about most AEW fans is that they are marks and the nature of the business is that marks jeer company executives no matter what. Cody is a solid wrestler with great charisma and could easily be World Champion but the problem will always be is that if he will always be looked at as a person in power, like HHH or Jeff Jarrett
It's not just that. He's got the ornate entrances, he's got the wife that really has no business being in the ring (at least not yet) who booked herself as the lead of the women's division for a time, and he came into the ring with this huge cape, he's basically spent a ton of time promoting stuff outside of wrestling like his two reality shows. And he's battling a fan favorite. Which is why it's so confusing, he's smart enough that this has to be some kind of plotline to turn him heel, because he can't lack that much self awareness, right?

He doesn't even book himself to win all the time. In fact, in the very beginning he fought Jericho for the title, lost, and the stipulation was that he could never challenge for the AEW world championship again. And he's been elevating talent this entire time, including basically a squash match with Brody Lee to establish him when he first got there.
Dr. DVD (09-24-21)
Old 09-23-21, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn’t watch NXT on Tuesday but just found out that they debuted a character named Joe Gacy that is basically a stereotype of what right wing idiots think “the woke left” is and the dude is spouting bullshit about safe spaces among other things. Of course, this shit got picked up by Fox News and the New York Post, in very cheerful articles. And of course, it’s getting backlash from anyone with common sense as how that gimmick is just fucking stupid among other things. So much backlash from everyone that everything about Gacy just got deleted from WWE’s website and social media. Seriously, how fucking stupid can Vince McMahon be?
Old 09-24-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I didn’t watch NXT on Tuesday but just found out that they debuted a character named Joe Gacy that is basically a stereotype of what right wing idiots think “the woke left” is and the dude is spouting bullshit about safe spaces among other things. Of course, this shit got picked up by Fox News and the New York Post, in very cheerful articles. And of course, it’s getting backlash from anyone with common sense as how that gimmick is just fucking stupid among other things. So much backlash from everyone that everything about Gacy just got deleted from WWE’s website and social media. Seriously, how fucking stupid can Vince McMahon be?

I don't know if Vince is stupid as much as he knows what makes up a lot the audience . Of course one could argue that this means he thinks the audience is stupid, or that he's trying to stay in the good grace of his buddy Donald Trump.

Dynamite was awesome. Saw some people on Twitter shrugging it off because it only drew a 1.3 (a little below that) rating. However, to sell out a stadium and deliver the kind of ratings they are after only two years is quite good for an upstart company like AEW. I remember when TNA/Impact hit the two year mark it was still struggling to find someone to air their programming, and when they finally did it was in some throwaway time slot on Fox sports or an ESPN network of some sort on a Friday afternoon. Also, they were still doing shows from the state fairgrounds in Nashville and only filling it by giving out free tickets. AEW was mostly a legit sellout.
Old 09-24-21, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Arthur Ashe Stadium is completely sold out. If Nick Khan and Vince doesn't think this is competition, then they are morons. And there's a huge difference between WWE and WWF back in 1995-96 when they saw real competition from WCW. Back then, Vince had big name stars in Bret, Diesel, HBK, Undertaker, Razor Ramon, Lex Luger, Yokozuna and Sid Vicious with good mid-card roster of Bam Bam Bigelow, the Smoking Guns, British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Mabel, HHH, 1-2-3 Kid and Savio Vega. Now, WWF barely has stars getting over due to their shitty 50-50 booking. The only true stars they have right now are Roman, AJ Styles, Becky Lynch, Charlotte, Brock, Lashley, Drew, Randy Orton and the New Day. Everyone else seems to be floating in the mid-card with no direction, including former champions like Shamus, Jeff Hardy, Dolph Ziggler and Seth Rollins.
It is amazing what AEW did, but again, it's not like it is really hurting WWE. People still go to see WWE because it is WWE and they can still get guys like Lesnar and Cena on big shows. They just did their biggest gate at the Garden and did 50k fans for SummerSlam.
Old 09-24-21, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Man I cringe if they put the tag titles on Sting and Darby. I give major props to Jericho who actually takes that L against the younger guys.
Old 09-25-21, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 104 Posts

They may have already dropped the character

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/23821...am-media-press
Red Hood (09-25-21)
Old 09-25-21, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
It is amazing what AEW did, but again, it's not like it is really hurting WWE. People still go to see WWE because it is WWE and they can still get guys like Lesnar and Cena on big shows. They just did their biggest gate at the Garden and did 50k fans for SummerSlam.

True, WWE is WWE, and right now and probably for several more years they will continue to be more popular promotion. However, Jim Cornette recently pointed out that AEW is capitalizing by signing young and hungry performers who feel shortchanged by WWE, especially when they go from NXT to the main roster. WWE may have Lesnar, Cena, and possibly even another appearance by Rock up their sleeves for the next year or so, but they aren't really elevating anyone to new star status aside from maybe Roman Reigns. Like you said, they can still get some big names for big shows for now, but like WCW they switch the focus to people who were popular in the past when they feel interest is slipping. Eventually, that well will run dry and they won't have any true young wrestling talent left, just athletes and well built actors trained to do wrestling moves. I put the video below as he explains it a bit better.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.