The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 09-16-21, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Finally. Itís about damn time Brian Pillman Jr started getting featured on Dynamite. I think heís gonna be a star.
He was on the main event on AEW's show last Friday and the match was horrible.

So much so they had Moxley come out in the end when it should have been Pillman Jr's night too shine in Cincinnati and it didn't happen.
Old 09-16-21, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 529 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
He was on the main event on AEW's show last Friday and the match was horrible.

So much so they had Moxley come out in the end when it should have been Pillman Jr's night too shine in Cincinnati and it didn't happen.
That's not why Moxley came out. Both he and Pillman are from Cincinnati, where Rampage was taped and they were both spotlighted at the end to get the hometown pop. Tony Khan wanted to make a point that he treats wrestlers with respect and lets them shine in their hometowns, contrary to Vince, who for some fucking reason loves burying his wrestlers and announcers in their hometowns. Just see how many times Vince humiliated Jim Ross in Oklahoma. It was just pure bullying.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
Dr. DVD (09-16-21), Mikey Osmond (09-16-21)
Old 09-16-21, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 659 Posts

Yeah if anything Mox was giving Pillman Jr. some rub.

Now there's one guy where if you take the name away from him, he doesn't seem like anything special (yet), but he's growing, and that was a good way to spotlight him after the MJF encounter on the previous show.
Old 09-16-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

So, what was the purpose of rebranding NXT? Talk about trying to fix something that wasn't broke...
Old 09-16-21, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
So, what was the purpose of rebranding NXT? Talk about trying to fix something that wasn't broke...
I mean from a ratings perspective, it worked.
The following users liked this post:
Mikey Osmond (09-16-21)
Old 09-16-21, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure they got a bump from people tuning in to see what was going on. It will be interesting to see the numbers once the new wears off.
Old 09-16-21, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

NXT was so hard to watch with that camerawork an then the embarrassing wedding at the end. I can't imagine people tuning in to see that collection of "talent"
Mikey Osmond (09-16-21)
Old 09-16-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
That's not why Moxley came out. Both he and Pillman are from Cincinnati, where Rampage was taped and they were both spotlighted at the end to get the hometown pop. Tony Khan wanted to make a point that he treats wrestlers with respect and lets them shine in their hometowns, contrary to Vince, who for some fucking reason loves burying his wrestlers and announcers in their hometowns. Just see how many times Vince humiliated Jim Ross in Oklahoma. It was just pure bullying.
I know he is from Cincinnati and that's why they used him too save Pillman's ass.

Maybe they wanted Pillman too not look that good so it made Moxley look better.

I can see Pillman Jr being a star in the future and I hope they keep their tag team(Varsity Blonds) around because Julia Hart is hot but she might be injured because I haven't seen her lately on TV. I didn't see all the matches last night so I don't know if she appeared or not.
Old 09-16-21, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
NXT was so hard to watch with that camerawork an then the embarrassing wedding at the end. I can't imagine people tuning in to see that collection of "talent"
For a WWE "comedy" segment, I thought the wedding was fine. Got some chuckles from me, like Dexter silencing potential objectors with a hatchet, Jiro's reveal of the rings, Andre Chase's unwanted appearance, Johnny's running commentary, and Dexter's first words (not to mention people in the crowd continually shouting out funny things). Has this been the smoothest an in-ring wedding has ever gone? Yeah, the minister got choked out but they got a quick replacement. No snake attacks, satanic rituals, druggings, kidnappings, heart attacks, or wrestler attacks.

The rest of the show though ... yikes. Introducing new talent is fine, but I don't get how shoving a bunch of brand new people at once on tv works. Why should I care about Bron Breakker? Being a Steiner son is cool, but they didn't even mention that. Instead I saw a generic bodybuilder looking guy with all the worst personality traits of Mojo Rawley ("hyped" babyface version). Josh Briggs and Brooks Jensen (had to Google the names to remember) are big, but looked like generic tough guy rednecks. All I know about Von Wagner is he was gifted one of the cheapest ways to get a title shot, is a generic "fiery" babyface, and has a face that reminds me of a caveman. And Tony D'Angelo seems a throwback from the awful early/mid 90s period where everyone had a "second job" gimmick.

I can see Pillman Jr being a star in the future and I hope they keep their tag team(Varsity Blonds) around because Julia Hart is hot but she might be injured because I haven't seen her lately on TV. I didn't see all the matches last night so I don't know if she appeared or not.
Julia Hart's been wrestling on Dark. That's the problem with their roster being so big. People just get lost, especially if you only watch the tv. Women like Shida and Abaddon seem like they left the company, but they're just stuck on the dark matches for months.
Old 09-16-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
F
The rest of the show though ... yikes. Introducing new talent is fine, but I don't get how shoving a bunch of brand new people at once on tv works. Why should I care about Bron Breakker? Being a Steiner son is cool, but they didn't even mention that. Instead I saw a generic bodybuilder looking guy with all the worst personality traits of Mojo Rawley ("hyped" babyface version). Josh Briggs and Brooks Jensen (had to Google the names to remember) are big, but looked like generic tough guy rednecks. All I know about Von Wagner is he was gifted one of the cheapest ways to get a title shot, is a generic "fiery" babyface, and has a face that reminds me of a caveman. And Tony D'Angelo seems a throwback from the awful early/mid 90s period where everyone had a "second job" gimmick.
Josh Briggs wasn't new last night, he debuted on NXT in July as part of the Breakout tournament.
Old 09-16-21, 09:15 PM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys watching Dark Side of the Ring?
Red Hood (09-16-21)
Old 09-16-21, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think AEW may want to hold back the debut of Ric Flair

By the way, Tommy Dreamer came off as an idiot for defending Flair’s actions in plane ride from hell. It’s not a joke Tommy.
Mikey Osmond (09-16-21)
Old 09-16-21, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-16-21, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At the end of the day, the blame should have been put squarely on Vince’s shoulders. He was in the plane, but instead of acting as an adult and owner of a company that was going public in a week, Vince decided to be one of the boys and partake on the childish behavior.
The following 3 users liked this post by Red Hood:
B.A. (09-17-21), Mikey Osmond (09-16-21), Shamus McAnally (09-19-21)
Old 09-16-21, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-17-21, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I know he is from Cincinnati and that's why they used him too save Pillman's ass.

Maybe they wanted Pillman too not look that good so it made Moxley look better.
Nonsense.
Old 09-17-21, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 104 Posts

Old 09-17-21, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"But let's change Adam Cole's name so people don't think he's related to Michael Cole."

Adam said he never heard that but it's still so bad that it's such a believable Vince take that nobody really questioned it when that rumor came out.
Old 09-17-21, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No surprise here. Tommy Dreamer is a fucking idiot, but doesn't surprise me as this was the same guy who thought about crashing Wrestlemania 17, kill Paul Heyman and the commit suicide.

TOMMY DREAMER INDEFINITELY SUSPENDED BY IMPACT WRESTLING

By [email protected] on 2021-09-17 14:17:00Impact Wrestling's Ed Nordholm issued an email to the company's roster and staff today announcing that Tommy Dreamer was suspended indefinitely going forward.

In the email, Nordholm stated that the company was made aware of comments Dreamer made on last night's Dark Side of the Ring and they were "out of line with our core values" as a company. In the episode, Dreamer commented on allegations made about Ric Flair on the infamous "plane ride from hell" twenty years ago.

Nordholm stated Dreamer was "asked to leave effective immediately" from Nashville, TN and was suspended going forward.

Nordholm also asked that if anyone had any concerns of questions, to approach Gail Kim, Scott D'Amore or himself.

PWInsider.com's attempts to reach Dreamer after learning of his suspension were unsuccessful as of this writing.
Old 09-17-21, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder what's going to be Conrad Thompson's relationship with the Dark Side of the Ring crew after last night's episode. He's married to the Flair family.
Mikey Osmond (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not defending anyone when I say this, but this story has been told to death over the past 18 years. It's not like it's breaking news. If you are a wrestling fan, you have had to hear about this before. There was an interview years ago by Triple H telling all about it, including Flair's infamous robe incident.
Old 09-17-21, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed, what did Dark Side of the Ring really report that was new. Anybody in the wrestling industry criticizing Flair now looks pretty fake as they likely already heard the story before, there was a legal settlement a decade ago. Dreamer is pretty dumb though defending him in this day and age. WWE still looks stupid for not firing him at the time.
Old 09-17-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 546 Likes on 444 Posts

I had obviously heard about The Plane Ride From Hell incident before, but I donít think Iíve heard the Flair part of it. I mostly knew about the drunkenness on behalf of many on board, and Mr. Perfect and Lesnar getting into it.
Mikey Osmond (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Busted Open--the XM radio show that Dreamer cohosts on Wednesdays--opened today with the hosts somberly talking about how what they saw last night will be taken seriously and doesn't fit with their morals. They did not announce any formal action against Dreamer at the time it aired.

No loss to me if they let him go. The real stars of the show are main host Dave LaGreca and Bubba Ray Dudley who cohosts with Dave on Mon, Tues, Thurs. I can listen to Bubba talk wrestling all day.
Mikey Osmond (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 07:11 PM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same! Even when I don't agree with Bully I get his logic.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.