Reload this Page >

The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 04-12-21, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 889 Likes on 601 Posts
Re: The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

One of the few things that Raw was doing good was the announcing team of Tom Phillips, Byron Saxton and Samoa Joe. Of course, Vince had to fuck that up and now brought in Graves and Adnan Vink from MLB and ESPN to Raw along with Sexton. Tom Phillips has now been demoted to 205 Live and Samoa Joe is apparently returning to the ring
Old 04-12-21, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts

These 6-8 hour shows are way too long for people who have to get up and go to work and the kids have to go to school. I'm not going to be sleepy as heck the next day at work due to staying up late to watch a long, drawn out PPV or whatever they are calling them now. Knowing WWE, they will find a way to milk two days for WrestleMania going forward.
Old 04-12-21, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,174 Likes on 912 Posts

So I haven't actually watched a complete Raw in about a year I think. But I always tune into the Raw after Wrestlemania.

Woof.

Riddle jobs after jobbing over the weekend, I can only assume he's being punished for botching that promo or something because that didn't really help Lashley.
Ripley vs. Asuka again, except much worse with no finish.
That women's tag match: is the new "gimmick" for the women's roster that they slip all the time and they botch everything? Who thought that was a brilliant idea?
Bray is just... whatever. Reset again?
They cast out Cedric and Shelton to make them jobbers and replace them with jobbers. Brilliant.
Drew vs. Lashley again. So much for Wrestlemania resetting the table. Just another PPV at this point.

The only "surprises" were Charlotte and the Viking Raiders, if you could call it that.
Old 04-13-21, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts

Drew vs. Lashley again. So much for Wrestlemania resetting the table.
No surprise. Backlash is always filled with WM rematches. Now that's it's named "Wrestlemania Backlash" the point is only reiterated.
Old 04-13-21, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts

Last night was the first time I had seen Charlotte in a while and she's had so much surgery done, I wouldn't have recognized her if I didn't see her name on the screen.
Old 04-13-21, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 149 Likes on 121 Posts

Nobody looks worse the Dana Brooke. Mandy Rose is a close second 😀

I'm scared to see what Becky might look like when she comes back.
Old 04-13-21, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Mandy look's okay still just overtanning and a bad wig. Her and Carmella are basically 1-2 face procedures away from going into Charlotte/Nattie territory where it looks weirdly out of proportion and can no longer have the ability to move all your facial muscles.
Old 04-14-21, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
These 6-8 hour shows are way too long for people who have to get up and go to work and the kids have to go to school. I'm not going to be sleepy as heck the next day at work due to staying up late to watch a long, drawn out PPV or whatever they are calling them now. Knowing WWE, they will find a way to milk two days for WrestleMania going forward.

Was the second night alone 6-8 hours? I've always taken the day after Mania off work and used a vacation/personal day because it's so long. Didn't do it the past two Manias because quite frankly, I no longer care about them.
Old 04-14-21, 08:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Each night was just around 3 hours. Night 1 ended later than Night 2 because of the rain delay.
Old 04-15-21, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Mandy look's okay still just overtanning and a bad wig. Her and Carmella are basically 1-2 face procedures away from going into Charlotte/Nattie territory where it looks weirdly out of proportion and can no longer have the ability to move all your facial muscles.
Ive never noticed Natayla. She doesn't strike me as the type to have work done but who knows.
Old 04-15-21, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 441 Likes on 226 Posts

I was never really into Charlotte either way, but my wife insists that she looks so much better since coming back.
Old 04-15-21, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally caught up (again) to AEW.

While I like Jericho as a smarmy face and getting the cheap face heat with the crowd, it just feels like man there are too many factions. Taz's group, Hardy's group, the Pinnacle, the Inner Circle, QT Marshall's Factory, the Dark Order and of course the Elite who hold the Tag and top titles. Even Best Friends are now four people and on the verge.

That being said, the Bucks work better (or maybe are more fresh) as heels and that opening match between them and Pac/Fenix was incredible.
Old 04-15-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 554 Likes on 330 Posts

The annual after Mania cuts are coming, some a bit surprising:

WWE has come to terms on the release of Samoa Joe, Chelsea Green, Tucker, Kalisto, Bo Dallas, Wesley Blake, Billie Kay and Mickie James.
Old 04-15-21, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Billie Kay and Samoa Joe are really surprising. Kay was just in Wrestlemania, and it really seemed she was carving out a niche for herself in a comedy role. Samoa Joe, even if not wrestling is such a good announcer. Seems a shame they don't have any use for him (unless this is one those releases where he wants to get the chance to leave and do something else with the rest of his career).
Old 04-15-21, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm so glad Billie Kay is gone. I really thought Samoa Joe was doing great as announcer. Only other surprise to me is Chelsea Green. I thought they were quite high on her before she was injured. The rest of them weren't worth it.
Old 04-15-21, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just read that Peyton Royce got released as well
Old 04-15-21, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am really surprised they cut Samoa Joe. Even if they didn't feel like his commentary was cutting it, they didn't have a place for him on the active roster?

Not that this means they will go there, but:
Peyton Royce is Shawn Spears's wife (AEW)
Chelsea Green is engaged to Matt Cardona (Zack Ryder) who is in Impact
Mickey James is married to Nick Aldis (NWA)

Last edited by fujishig; 04-15-21 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-15-21, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I"m surprised by the release of all of them except Bo Dallas. Bo had asked to be released weeks ago as he's going to run a Real State business that he co-own with his girlfriend Liv Morgan.

As for everyone else, I don't even know what to say other than I hope AEW scoops them up. Peyton Royce was never allowed to shine in the women's division. Everyone knows that she has tons of star potential. Billy Kaye was great in her comedy role and until WM, she was Carmella's sidekick. Mickey James is a veteran and future Hall of Famer and would be an asset in the AEW women's division. Chelsea Green was also another great asset that simply had bad luck with injuries. Samoa Joe is a main eventer and showed that he can be a great color commentator. AEW needs to sign him up now. Tucker was pretty good but suffered from creative stupidity when he was taken away from Heavy Machinery. Kalisto was a great jobber to the stars.

I'm still surprised Erick Rowan hasn't been signed anywhere. He should have been signed by AEW to come in as part of the Dark Order.
Old 04-15-21, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rowan did come to AEW right after Brodie's passing in the tribute show, but I'm not sure they have the space to devote to another big guy monster.

Old 04-15-21, 02:41 PM

It's weird because when they broke up the IIconics, everyone said that it was so that they could give Peyton Royce a singles push, which totally makes sense as she is obviously the star of the two.

Instead they did basically nothing with her, but they gave tons of TV time to Billie Kaye, and even gave her a WrestleMania spot.

Which is fine, Billie is great in the role, but only one of them were given a WM spot, I would have thought it would have been Peyton.

Still, Peyton's a star, and Billie obviously does not suffer from "Creative has nothing for you" syndrome. And yet here we are, and both of them are gone.

Somebody higher up in the company must not like Chelsea Green either, as even before she was injured right after her debut on Smackdown, she was sitting around healthy with nothing to do for a while.
Old 04-15-21, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Rowan did come to AEW right after Brodie's passing in the tribute show, but I'm not sure they have the space to devote to another big guy monster.

https://twitter.com/GabrielHorse08/s...78133019987969
I remember Rowan showing up then but it was a one night deal as part of the tribute. Still, Rowan is too talented to be a free agent for a while now.

Honestly, AEW needs to start releasing fill in talent and hire some of these WWE releases. People always complain about TNA doing this 10-15 years ago, but people need to remember that this is how WCW but more importantly, how WWF got to find their way in 1995-96. As I have mentioned in the past, WWF took a risk of signing many wrestlers released by WCW, like Steve Austin, Mick Foley, HHH, Marc Mero, Dustin Rhodes, Vader, Mark Callaway, Sid Vicious, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. Vince made them all superstarr, with the exception of Vader and Marc Mero. But Mero at least brought in Sable that became the biggest female star of that era next to Chyna.

Tony Khan needs to get some veteran minds like Lance Storm and have them run the booking instead of letting the inmates run the asylum. I understand that Cody wants to make AEW different, but hiring people who develop long term storylines wouldn't hurt them at all.
Old 04-15-21, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, WWE has too much talent right now that they aren't using. These wrestlers need to find their way outside that structure.

And Bo Dallas, they missed the boat with him. Bo should have been part of the Wyatt Family a long time ago.
Old 04-15-21, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Chelsea Green is engaged to Matt Cardona (Zack Ryder) who is in ROH
Interesting decision for her. ROH still books women like its the dead era of the 2000's,meanwhile her best friend is Deonna Purazza the Women's champ in TNA,and TNA overall has been the one company where women consistently are booked.
Old 04-15-21, 02:48 PM

Matt Cardona is signed to Impact, not ROH. Chelsea has been there already. I would rather see her in AEW than joining Cardona in Impact.
Old 04-15-21, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I remember Rowan showing up then but it was a one night deal as part of the tribute. Still, Rowan is too talented to be a free agent for a while now.

Honestly, AEW needs to start releasing fill in talent and hire some of these WWE releases. People always complain about TNA doing this 10-15 years ago, but people need to remember that this is how WCW but more importantly, how WWF got to find their way in 1995-96. As I have mentioned in the past, WWF took a risk of signing many wrestlers released by WCW, like Steve Austin, Mick Foley, HHH, Marc Mero, Dustin Rhodes, Vader, Mark Callaway, Sid Vicious, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. Vince made them all superstarr, with the exception of Vader and Marc Mero. But Mero at least brought in Sable that became the biggest female star of that era next to Chyna.

Tony Khan needs to get some veteran minds like Lance Storm and have them run the booking instead of letting the inmates run the asylum. I understand that Cody wants to make AEW different, but hiring people who develop long term storylines wouldn't hurt them at all.
The problem with TNA is that they brought over largely older talent that wanted to run the show (while already having had Jarrett dominate for a long time previous to that) and they just buried/overshadowed the home grown stars like AJ. But bringing in guys like Angle and Christian who could still go was great for them.

I do think AEW bloated their roster with indy talent at least in part to help some of the talent weather the storm as the indy feds were just devastated by COVID. They probably start releasing some of that talent shortly. They have done an excellent job featuring even guys who are not technically signed with them on their youtube shows.

I disagree that they should bring in everyone the WWE discards. Joe, if he wants, is the clearcut must sign, even if he can't go in the ring (not sure if he's healed or if it's a worse injury than we thought). Iiconics and Green would be fine additions. Guys like Rowan, I just think he missed his chance: If Brodie were still alive and the Dark Order were still serious heels, I think he may have had a place there, but otherwise they have a bunch of big guys they need to get over including Miro. Bo Dallas I think wants to retire, and Kallisto would get lost in the luchadore shuffle, I think.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.