The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 01-07-21, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 515 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Itís a good thing AEW signed Sting. If there is one thing theyíve been lacking itís having someone gingerly walk to and from the ring and just stare at people every Wednesday for 2 months.
I love Sting, but heís been absolutely worthless in AEW so far. Heís essentially done the same thing every damn time that heís appeared. Outside of the promo he cut the second week he was on.

Itís kind of ridiculous how the heels just clear the ring right away too. Theyíre supposed to be tough guys, but the second Stingís music hits and the lights go out they bolt out of the ring right on cue. At least let him come to the ring and swing his bat. Have him get some hits in and then cower.

Thatís one of the big problems in AEW in my opinion. It feels so staged and set up. They all take their cues for certain things and itís so obvious. Like when a guy dives and they wait to be caught by the line of guys on the outside waiting. They also repeat a lot of things where matches seem so staged.
Old 01-07-21, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 278 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
HHH was actually under contract to WCW for a year. He at first used his indy gimmck of Terra Ryzing and later transitioned to the blue blood type character of Jean-Paul Levesque and was teamed with Steven Regal.
I didn't remember him as Terra Ryzing, but his blue blood character of Jean-Paul Levesque is basically the gimmick he took to the WWF as Hunter Hearst Helmsley. That's when I did a double take. I had only seen him a handful of times (if that much) in singles matches on WCW Worldwide.
Old 01-07-21, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I didn't remember him as Terra Ryzing, but his blue blood character of Jean-Paul Levesque is basically the gimmick he took to the WWF as Hunter Hearst Helmsley. That's when I did a double take. I had only seen him a handful of times (if that much) in singles matches on WCW Worldwide.
It is and it isn't. Jean-Paul was French

You don't get to do promos if you're not under contract.
Old 01-07-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

It is and it isn't. Jean-Paul was French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKesj7y0yCQ

You don't get to do promos if you're not under contract.
I watch Mid--Atlantic Wrestling(WWE Network) and many times they do promo's with jobbers(they are really bad interviews) and I doubt if they had contracts(I could be wrong) and probably got paid per TV show appearance..
Old 01-07-21, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With the territories sure. I don't know if they even had exclusive contracts in those days. But once things went national with WWF and later WCW, you're generally not wasting that valuable air time with job guys doing promos.
Old 01-07-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's HHH talking about getting signed to WCW and asking for a one year deal, instead of the 2 year deal that he was offered. Also includes footage from his days as Terra Ryzing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Obi-Wanma:
devilshalo (01-07-21), Red Hood (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's HHH talking about getting signed to WCW and asking for a one year deal, instead of the 2 year deal that he was offered. Also includes footage from his days as Terra Ryzing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5tgl-FDd0g
You can tell by his hairstyle, Ric Flair was a heavy influence on his career choice.
Old 01-08-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I love Sting, but he’s been absolutely worthless in AEW so far. He’s essentially done the same thing every damn time that he’s appeared. Outside of the promo he cut the second week he was on.

It’s kind of ridiculous how the heels just clear the ring right away too. They’re supposed to be tough guys, but the second Sting’s music hits and the lights go out they bolt out of the ring right on cue. At least let him come to the ring and swing his bat. Have him get some hits in and then cower.

That’s one of the big problems in AEW in my opinion. It feels so staged and set up. They all take their cues for certain things and it’s so obvious. Like when a guy dives and they wait to be caught by the line of guys on the outside waiting. They also repeat a lot of things where matches seem so staged.
I dunno, after being behind a bit I caught the last few episodes of AEW (mainly to see the Brodie Lee episode) and thought it was fine. I'm glad the Impact crossover stuff finally went somewhere.

One thing I do think they do a decent job of is mixing things up. Even beyond the Dark Order tribute stuff, you have heels against heels and faces against faces pretty often. And maybe it's just me but I always enjoy Jericho on old school heel commentary.

And that Fenix/Omega match was probably overshadowed by the angle that followed but man that was a match.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-08-21 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-08-21, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 482 Likes on 332 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5tgl-FDd0g
And that was the good thing about competition back then. When WWF had the major players in late 1991 to early 1993, WCW was forced to develop and showcase new talent and use veterans properly. That was then Sting, Luger, Windham, The Steiners, Vader, Stunning Steve Austin, Brian Pillman among others flourished. When Flair went back to WCW and then Hogan, Savage, Beefcake, and others joined, WWF was forced to create new stars and that's when Bret, HBK, Hall, Nash, HHH, Stone Cold, Mick Foley and many others became superstars.
Old 01-09-21, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been listening to Grilling JR podcast for a while and he basically is confirming everything that the dirt sheets/ wrestling sites said back in 2000-2008. First of all, he confirmed that Chyna wanted Stone Cold money and they offered her a guarantee of only $400K. She wanted $1M, but JR didn't believe she deserved that ( which I agree) but at the same time there wasn't a counteroffer to meet in the middle and Ross says something that we heard for a while: Vince doesn't want to pay women the same amount of money as men. I heard the same complaints recently with Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch, and it seems that they were given a raise after Ronda Rousey came in.

The second thing that JR confirm is how HHH held back many wrestlers for no apparent reason other than jealousy and protecting his spot. Ross confirmed that HHH buried Jericho and Booker T among others with management in the company. This completely contradicts all the bullshit that Bruce Prichard has said on his podcast, in which he defends HHH as another wrestler back in that era and that he had no political power.
Old 01-10-21, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I've been listening to Grilling JR podcast for a while and he basically is confirming everything that the dirt sheets/ wrestling sites said back in 2000-2008. First of all, he confirmed that Chyna wanted Stone Cold money and they offered her a guarantee of only $400K. She wanted $1M, but JR didn't believe she deserved that ( which I agree) but at the same time there wasn't a counteroffer to meet in the middle and Ross says something that we heard for a while: Vince doesn't want to pay women the same amount of money as men. I heard the same complaints recently with Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch, and it seems that they were given a raise after Ronda Rousey came in.

The second thing that JR confirm is how HHH held back many wrestlers for no apparent reason other than jealousy and protecting his spot. Ross confirmed that HHH buried Jericho and Booker T among others with management in the company. This completely contradicts all the bullshit that Bruce Prichard has said on his podcast, in which he defends HHH as another wrestler back in that era and that he had no political power.

Been listening to some of this as well. Vince really loved to have JR do his dirty work in the day.
Old 01-11-21, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 161 Likes on 115 Posts

Chris Jericho donated 38 grand to the Trump campaign. Honestly fuck this clown. He can't disappear from wrestling fast enough.
Old 01-11-21, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chris Jericho donated 38 grand to the Trump campaign. Honestly fuck this clown. He can't disappear from wrestling fast enough.
CM Punk said it best

Old 01-11-21, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how a lot of the AEW fanbase would feel if they realized the politics of a lot of the people involved. Iíve heard the Young Bucks and Tony Khan are both on the Trump train too.
Old 01-11-21, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can (and still do) enjoy Jericho's work while disagreeing with his personal politics.
Old 01-11-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I wonder how a lot of the AEW fanbase would feel if they realized the politics of a lot of the people involved. I’ve heard the Young Bucks and Tony Khan are both on the Trump train too.
Same thing with Dustin Rhodes. But most, if not all of them, have kept their politics private. Jericho on the other hand has been vocal about Trump and giving exposure to Don Jr and other conspiracy theorists on his podcast. Plus that stupid tweet above.

I've heard Tony Khan is a republican, but not a Trumper. On the other hand, his dad is a well known Trump supporter.
Old 01-11-21, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Man, the guy will do anything for heel heat (unfortunately this makes him a face to almost half the nation).

Also, Linda McMahon:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/09/pro-...hill-riot.html
However, America First Policies, a pro-Trump policy advocacy dark money group, did disclose in 2019 that they contributed to Women for America First. America First's 990 disclosure form from that year shows they contributed $25,000 to Women for America First.

America First Policies, which is also a 501(c)(4) that does not disclose its donors, is chaired by Linda McMahon, a longtime Trump ally and former head of the Small Business Administration. The 2019 filing shows America First Policies ended up raising over $30 million. They were not involved with the planning of the rally itself.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-11-21 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-11-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Drew McIntyre has Covid-19. Man, the Royal Rumble is going to be a super spreader event.

Old 01-11-21, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Same thing with Dustin Rhodes. But most, if not all of them, have kept their politics private. Jericho on the other hand has been vocal about Trump and giving exposure to Don Jr and other conspiracy theorists on his podcast. Plus that stupid tweet above.

I've heard Tony Khan is a republican, but not a Trumper. On the other hand, his dad is a well known Trump supporter.
Even though the Rhodes probably grew up around Conservative culture I would be pretty shocked if either of Dustin or Cody voted Republican based on anything they have said the last few years. And in general I would imagine like 80% of the the euro/aussie wrestlers in wwe/aew/tna are left leaning. The pendulem in America is pretty far right,Biden himself would be considered a moderate or even center right politician in a lot of countries.
Old 01-12-21, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Drew McIntyre has Covid-19. Man, the Royal Rumble is going to be a super spreader event.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1348732406463750145?s=20
I wonder if Roman Reigns will go out again due to his health history? I can't blame the guy if he did.
Old 01-13-21, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Look at this fucking asshole. Of course he got Covid at the super spreader Sturgis Rally event

Old 01-13-21, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to really like Jericho, but itís harder to now with his personal life political views and stupid things he does.

It also doesnít help his cause that I think heís become ultra lazy since coming to AEW.
Old 01-13-21, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know if anyone here pays attention to his "Talk is Jericho" podcast, but a week ago he had one of his worst ones: "The Conspiracies of 2020"

David Weiss of the Flat Earth Podcast returns to talk about conspiracies of 2020 which include everything from COVID19 to QAnon, and of course the Flat Earth! He shares his thoughts on the pandemic (and why itís not a real pandemic), what he thinks about the vaccines and the vaccination process, depopulation theories, and the great deception! He talks about QAnon and Q Drops, the importance of ďwaking people up,Ē and how the Flat Earth philosophy completely changed his life.
Anti-vax, COVID denial, QAnon, Flat Earth ... with some Sandy Hook denial and Lizard people for good measure (and of course last week's Capital riot was an intricate ANTIFA plot). Jericho says he just likes to let different opinions express themselves, and I'm sure he considers it "balancing out" that his most recent podcast is with a legitimate medical expert on COVID. But you know from his words and actions that he's in deep for all of the crazy shit.

I actually like his podcasts when it's a topic and guest I'm interested in ... Jericho's a good conversationalist and keeps the interviews well-paced and interesting.

How has AEW on tv been in the last couple weeks? I've found myself drifting away from watching the show (Brodie Lee tribute was the last show I watched).
Old 01-13-21, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I don't know if anyone here pays attention to his "Talk is Jericho" podcast, but a week ago he had one of his worst ones: "The Conspiracies of 2020"

Anti-vax, COVID denial, QAnon, Flat Earth ... with some Sandy Hook denial and Lizard people for good measure (and of course last week's Capital riot was an intricate ANTIFA plot). Jericho says he just likes to let different opinions express themselves, and I'm sure he considers it "balancing out" that his most recent podcast is with a legitimate medical expert on COVID. But you know from his words and actions that he's in deep for all of the crazy shit.

I actually like his podcasts when it's a topic and guest I'm interested in ... Jericho's a good conversationalist and keeps the interviews well-paced and interesting.

How has AEW on tv been in the last couple weeks? I've found myself drifting away from watching the show (Brodie Lee tribute was the last show I watched).
I find the Sting stuff to be a bit boring (though if it elevates Darby I'm all for it), but the top of the card is basically a TNA crossover where Bullet Club (in all but name) is reforming with Omega, Gallows, and Anderson, and the Bucks reluctantly joining them (or not). That's an interesting enough angle to me. Omega had a great match with Fenix too to set that up last week.

The big weakness is still the women's division.
Old 01-14-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.