Reload this Page >

The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 03-06-21, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 546 Likes on 444 Posts
Re: The 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread.

I feel like WWE kind of cheapened Angleís retirement match. It was against an opponent he had no history with and was a short match in the middle of the card. I feel like thatís part of why heís upset with his final run. Kind of went out on a low note.

Still though.. meh to him in AEW. He shouldnít be an active wrestler anymore, and do we need another legend type wrestler in a manager role or whatever? At least AEW does keep some of the older talents around (Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Taz, Jake Roberts).
Old 03-06-21, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 529 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I feel like WWE kind of cheapened Angleís retirement match. It was against an opponent he had no history with and was a short match in the middle of the card. I feel like thatís part of why heís upset with his final run. Kind of went out on a low note.

Still though.. meh to him in AEW. He shouldnít be an active wrestler anymore, and do we need another legend type wrestler in a manager role or whatever? At least AEW does keep some of the older talents around (Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Taz, Jake Roberts).
The problem with WWE was that they brought him back but as a character, not a wrestler. Angle was working on the independent circuit at that time and from all accounts he was in top shape and having great matches. Once he's taken out of that rhythm and put on the sidelines by Vince, Angle lost what wrestlers call the "callous". According to Angle himself, that inactive time made his body stiffen up and then when he was brought back to replace Roman at that PPV, he wasn't in wrestling shape. He kept wrestling on and on from there sporadically, and for a guy his age, that's even worse. I know Kurt's body has gone through a lot, but he was only 50 when he retired and he's now 52. If his body has healed, he can still have some quality matches here and there.

The more I think about it, I don't think he's the surprise signing, but it's most likely that Kurt will end up at AEW. Also, people forget that Jeff Jarrett has been working backstage in WWE for a while and having him and Kurt working together is not a great idea given their past.
Old 03-06-21, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 104 Posts

How does one go about ordering the AEW PPV? On the FiteTv app? I couldn't find any info.
Old 03-07-21, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Today's follow-up video ... it's just a podcast announcement

Old 03-07-21, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
How does one go about ordering the AEW PPV? On the FiteTv app? I couldn't find any info.
Fite TV is only for international customers. You can't order in there unless you're using a VPN to pretend you're somewhere else (If you're comfortable doing that, it also will be cheaper, depending on which country you use.)

Officially, in the US you can only order it thru BRLive (or traditional PPV thru cable, but that is the most expensive option).
Old 03-07-21, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, I see that now. I was hoping it was cheaper another way. I cant afford $50 or $60 😀
Old 03-07-21, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More information on the episodes for season 3 of Dark Side of the Ring

ANOTHER TOPIC REVEALED FOR DARK SIDE OF THE RING

By [email protected] on 2021-03-07 15:06:00POSTWrestling reported today that when Jim Ross was interviewed for third season of ViceTV's Dark Side of Ring, one of the topics of conversation was the infamous WWE Plane Ride from Hell that resulted in the WWE releases of Scott Hall and Curt Henning.

On May 5, 2002 a number of WWE wrestlers and management members flew from Great Britain to the United States following the end of a European tour, which concluded with a British PPV event. On the now-infamous flight, there were a number of incidents involving WWE management and wrestlers that were later attributed to the heavy drinking on the flight, partially because the flight was delayed for an hour before takeoff.

Among the incidents included the late Curt Hennig goading Brock Lesnar into a mid-flight wrestling match after ribbing him about who was a better amateur wrestler. Hennig and Lesnar scuffled in the aisle of the plane with Lesnar taking down Hennig and Hennig being unable to return the favor. Eventually, several others on the flight, including Dave Finley, Triple H, and Paul Heyman had to separate the pair. WWE announced that Hennig was released from the company shortly thereafter, while there was no heat on Lesnar at the time as the blame was placed on Hennig's end.

The wrestling was tame compared to some of the other antics on the flight. Dustin Runnels was allegedly serenading his ex-wife Terri Runnels until being told to stop by WWE Vice President of Talent Relations Jim Ross. Dustin Runnels was in the doghouse for a long time and was publicly dropped by WWE in late 2003 with a WWE.com statement announcing his contract would not be renewed when it expired in January 2004.

Road Agent Michael Hayes was involved in an physical incident with Bradshaw after heavily drinking, allegedly punching him. Hayes' actions led to someone (later believed to be Sean Waltman) cutting off his mullet while he was sleeping. The consensus at the time was that Hayes "deserved it" for his part in starting the incident with Bradshaw.

Jim Ross, in his now-defunct Ross Report on WWE.com, stated the following about the flight in his first column after the tour: "The flight was about seven hours in length and at times was low-lighted by a handful of people who consumed med too much alcohol and consequently acted like children whose parents were away and left the liquor cabinet unlocked. The conduct of this inebriated minority was unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Procedures have been put in place to ensure such conduct does not occur in the future. The bottom line is this: yours truly is the person in charge of the talent roster and the buck stops with me. We will do all we humanly can to solve the problem."

In the same column, Ross noted that Scott Hall (who said to have been asleep during the flight) was not involved with any incident. Hall was soon gone from WWE as his released was announced several days after the UK tour. There were reports that Hall wasn't in the best of condition during the tour, but he was signed shortly after his release to appear by the then-debuting NWA:TNA promotion.

A lawsuit was later filed against WWE and Ric Flair by several Sportjet flight attendants, but was quickly settled.

As we have previously reported, material has also been shot for the following planned episodes for Season Three, which will debut later this year:

*The late Brian Pillman.

*XPW.

*The WCW-New Japan event in North Korea.

*The Smith family - Grizzly Smith and his children, Jake Roberts, Sam Houston and Rockin' Robin.

*The late Dynamite Kid.

*Nick Gage.

*FMW in Japan.

*The late Bruiser Bedlam.

*The late Chris Kanyon.

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/14...-ring.html?p=1
Old 03-07-21, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm, Id always heard that Hennig had taken Lesnar down. It was the other way around?
Old 03-07-21, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Hmm, Id always heard that Hennig had taken Lesnar down. It was the other way around?
I had heard both versions of the story but someone later on said that the real version was Lesnar besting Hennig. The other part of the legend was that Lesnar slam Hennig extremely hard against the emergency door that many thought it would open. In reality those doors don't open that easily when the cabin is pressurized
Old 03-07-21, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Anyone subscribe to WrestlingTV(Roku,Fire TV,PC)?

Looks like its cheaper per month and yearly if you subscribe online.

Mostly 1970s and 1980s(Memphis,Portland,etc) plus 1950s and 1960s.

Picture quality looks good from the 70s and 80s with the 50s and 60s not so good.

Does look legit and looks like nothing here is from the WWE Network.
Old 03-07-21, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last edited by Red Hood; 03-08-21 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-07-21, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This shows once again how little WWE has valued Christian throughout his career there. He just came back at the Rumble, could have been easily placed in a storyline involving Edge and him vs Roman and Jey Uso. Instead, Christian has to switch companies once again to get a real opportunity. But, yeah, this is the same guy who Vince found so ugly that he wanted to put a dot on his face anytime he showed upon camera
Old 03-07-21, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 546 Likes on 444 Posts

Christian is a good worker for sure. I didnít exactly expect the signing to be him as I thought I had heard he wanted to close out his career in WWE with Edge.

WWE has underutilized him time and again though, especially as a singles competitor. He had a better overall run in TNA if you ask me. He was probably best used in WWE on the ECW brand, but thatís not exactly saying a lot.

The question I have with him in AEW is will they use him properly or will he be another wasted talent used for goofy hijinks? Iím leaning towards the latter given AEWís track record.

Also, I canít help but somewhat compare AEW with TNA. Signing a bunch of ex-WWE guys, only now theyíre even older. At least Christian looks to be in good shape unlike some others (*cough* Jericho *cough*). I think itís funny though how TNA got a lot of shit back in the day for signing a bunch of ex-WWE guys or older talents in general. AEW does it and no one bats an eye.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-07-21 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-08-21, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Christian is a good worker for sure. I didnít exactly expect the signing to be him as I thought I had heard he wanted to close out his career in WWE with Edge.

WWE has underutilized him time and again though, especially as a singles competitor. He had a better overall run in TNA if you ask me. He was probably best used in WWE on the ECW brand, but thatís not exactly saying a lot.

The question I have with him in AEW is will they use him properly or will he be another wasted talent used for goofy hijinks? Iím leaning towards the latter given AEWís track record.

Also, I canít help but somewhat compare AEW with TNA. Signing a bunch of ex-WWE guys, only now theyíre even older. At least Christian looks to be in good shape unlike some others (*cough* Jericho *cough*). I think itís funny though how TNA got a lot of shit back in the day for signing a bunch of ex-WWE guys or older talents in general. AEW does it and no one bats an eye.
AEW is getting tons of shit for signing ex-WWE wrestlers, but where else are they going to get stars? And people who complained about this happening in TNA simply don't know anything about the business. Wrestlers jumping from one company to another has always happened going back to the territory days. It is how they hone their skills and kept their persona fresh. AEW or TNA or ROH or any other company that gets ex-WWE wrestlers, especially big names, shouldn't care what marks think of this. For fucks sake, the moment Andre was available back in late 1990, multiple companies took a swing at getting him even if Andre couldn't move at all. Andre showed up in UWF, then on WCW and then went to Japan. Vince did the same thing in the 90's hiring any ex-WCW he could get his hands on. That's how he got Austin, Foley, HHH, Vader, Ron Simmons, Sid, Kevin Nash, Razor Ramon, Waylon Mercy, Brian Pillman, Lex Luger, Giant Gonzalez, Ric Flair, Marc Mero, Henry Godwin, Mideon and many more. It's stupid that only the companies getting flack are the ones that acquire talent released from WWE.

What AEW needs to do is improve their booking. Miro right now is completely wasted in the company. He needs to be positioned at a main event level. Same with Paul Wight. Same with Christian. I mean, Jack Swagger was the initial surprise in AEW. A guy who has a good MMA record and is a former WWE Champ, yet he's not being treated with the level of respect his name and talent bring to the company.
Old 03-08-21, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If there's something people can shit on AEW is this

Old 03-08-21, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love that so much. Lol
Old 03-08-21, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 659 Posts

I don't think there's a single person out there who thinks the WWE utilized Christian better than TNA did.

Red Hood addressed this already but the main problem with TNA bringing in stars was that it was done in a largely haphazard way (with guys like Angle and Cage being the main exceptions, mainly because they could still go) and the joke was always that the scrubs coming in from WWE were coming in to just bury the home grown talent. And that's kinda what happened (the X-division guys, mainly free of the incoming talent, were the draw for a long, long time). Maybe some of that is just remembering how Jarrett put himself on top for so long. But I feel like if this were old school TNA, Wight would have come in and buried Wardlow and Sting would have the TNA title beating Allen by now.

Even Miro being in a semi comedic role is kind of keeping him away from being a one and done for the title and developing his post-Rusev character so I think that's ok.
Old 03-08-21, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
If there's something people can shit on AEW is this

https://twitter.com/TheShiniestDan2/...980013568?s=20

That's not real right?

They couldn't just give those 2 a non gimmick match? So much gaga.
Old 03-08-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 659 Posts

Yeah, the explosion was botched and Tony Khan blamed it on Kenny. I'm pretty sure that blame is going to be part of an angle to cover this botch, but the commentary and Eddie's reaction shows that the explosions were really supposed to look a lot more impressive.

Also, man they love to turn their heels face (or have them face each other). Besides Kenny, FTR, newly turned Scorpio Sky and whatever remains of the Inner Circle (which probably means Jericho will be a face for a bit too) everyone is either a tweener or a face: Death Triangle, The Dark Order, Lance Archer, maybe now Eddie's faction.

Also, now that I'm looking at the reaction to the PPV, absolutely nobody is giving them a pass on Christian, though more for the hype and less for him, I think.
Old 03-08-21, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-08-21, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This transition from the Network to Peacock is really coming off as half assed. It's ridiculous that the content available right now on the Network won't be fully available on Peacock until the end of August.WWE NETWORK TO LAUNCH ON PEACOCK MARCH 18

WWE Network Subscribers Save $5.00 per Month by Signing Up for Peacock Premium

Peacock Premium to Stream Fastlane on March 21 and WrestleMania on April 10-11

New York, NY, and Stamford, Conn., March 8, 2021—Starting March 18, Peacock will begin rolling out WWE Network content just before Fastlane, the first WWE pay-per-view (PPV) event on the service. The new WWE destination on Peacock will feature fan-favorite content at launch, including all past WrestleManias leading up to WrestleMania 37—streaming exclusively on Peacock.

WWE will have a dedicated page on Peacock where fans can browse and access every PPV event in the last calendar year; current or most recent season episodes of WWE original series Steve Austin’s The Broken Skull Sessions, WWE Chronicle, and WWE Icons; in-ring action with new weekly episodes of NXT the day after air, as well as the 2021 replays of RAW and SmackDown 30 days after air; groundbreaking documentaries, including Undertaker: The Last Ride, WWE 24, and WWE Untold; reality series, including Total Bellas; as well as collections of featured series, topical moments like “Stone Cold” Steve Austin Week, and playlists showcasing current Superstars.

Peacock will continually add WWE Network content to the library, making the entire WWE Network archive—including every WWE, WCW, and ECW PPV event in history—available to stream on demand before SummerSlam.

Peacock Premium will be home to all upcoming PPV events and the current seasons of WWE Original shows. In the free tier, Peacock will offer a new WWE channel; select WWE Original shows; reality shows like Miz and Mrs., Total Bellas, and Total Divas; recent in-ring content; and new weekly episodes of select live shows like RAW Talk and The Bump, both live and on demand.

When WWE sunsets the existing standalone WWE Network app on April 4, Peacock will be the exclusive streaming home to WWE Network in the U.S. To continue streaming WWE Network content, fans will need to sign up for Peacock. As previously announced, WWE Network, including all PPVs, will be available on Peacock Premium for $4.99—a $5.00/month savings. Starting today, Peacock is also offering the WWE Universe deeper savings for a limited time—details available at www.PeacockTV.com/WWE.

Peacock Premium is included at no additional cost for Comcast’s eligible Xfinity X1 and Flex customers and Cox Contour customers. Peacock is currently available on the Roku platform; Apple devices, including iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV 4K, and Apple TV HD; Google platforms and devices, including Android, Android TV devices, Chromecast, and Chromecast built-in devices; Microsoft’s Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One S and Xbox One X; Sony PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, and PlayStation 5; and VIZIO SmartCast TVs and LG Smart TVs.

About Peacock

Peacock is NBCUniversal’s streaming service. Peacock delivers a world-class slate of exclusive originals, on-demand libraries of hit TV shows, plus critically acclaimed films from the vaults of Universal Pictures, Focus Features, DreamWorks Animation, Illumination, and Hollywood’s biggest studios. In addition, Peacock taps into NBCUniversal’s unmatched ability to deliver a broad range of compelling topical content across news, sports, late-night, Spanish-language, and reality. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.

About WWE

WWE, a publicly traded company (NYSE: WWE), is an integrated media organization and recognized leader in global entertainment. The Company consists of a portfolio of businesses that create and deliver original content 52 weeks a year to a global audience. WWE is committed to family friendly entertainment on its television programming, pay-per-view, digital media and publishing platforms. WWE’s TV-PG, family-friendly programming can be seen in more than 800 million homes worldwide in 28 languages. WWE Network, the first-ever 24/7 over-the-top premium network that includes all live pay-per-views, scheduled programming and a massive video-on-demand library, is currently available in more than 180 countries. The Company is headquartered in Stamford, Conn., with offices in New York, Los Angeles, London, Mexico City, Mumbai, Shanghai, Singapore, Dubai, Munich and Tokyo
Old 03-10-21, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WWE will have the Hall of Fame induction ceremony for the class of 2020 and 2021 in April exclusively on Peacock

Old 03-10-21, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Has anyone been announced for the class of 2021?

I recommend:
The Nasty Boys
Missy Hyatt
Baby Doll
Kamala
One Man Gang
King Kong Bundy
Ivan Koloff
General Skandor Agbar

Old 03-10-21, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Has anyone been announced for the class of 2021?
Molly Holly has been announced. That's it so far.

Since they're already combining 2021 with 2020 on the same show, I wouldn't be surprised if new inductees for 2021 are lower key. Batista is already the 2020 headliner holdover (followed by JBL). Undertaker, Kane, and Cena are recently retired no doubt headliners coming up but I would expect WWE to spread them out over the next few years.

I don't mind that the induction ceremony doesn't have a live crowd though. I liked it more in the earlier days when it was a smaller event with just people in the business there (like the Oscars). Having it with a crowd of fans made it seem less classy to me. I know wrestling can be low class in nature, but I liked when a show like Hall of Fame would break from that.
Old 03-10-21, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 154 Posts

UT will almost certainly go in in Texas, Kane might go with him. Cena in LA.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.