Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Old 01-01-21, 05:39 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 124,558
Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Irish force a punt. Congrats to them.
Old 01-01-21, 06:40 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 124,558
Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Only question now - can Bama cover.
Old 01-01-21, 06:42 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 20,687
Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

ND is about to take a pounding in back to back games. If the Gators only had a halfway competent defense this year.
Old 01-01-21, 06:43 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 52,757
Received 1,230 Likes on 750 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Only question now - can Bama cover.
Yeah the Chik-Fil-A Peach Bowl was great but the Rose Bowl is no fun for disinterested parties.
Old 01-01-21, 07:28 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 124,558
Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Only question now - can Bama cover.
Textbook backdoor cover for the Irish.
Old 01-01-21, 07:35 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 124,558
Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yeah the Chik-Fil-A Peach Bowl was great but the Rose Bowl is no fun for disinterested parties.
That's pretty much the story of college football nowadays.
Old 01-01-21, 11:22 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
~~ PAL ~~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 3,801
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Wonder how many questions Dabo Swinney Is going to field about how he felt after losing to the #11 team in the country?
Old 01-02-21, 01:05 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 20,687
Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

At least Mullen is not the only coach to say stupid shit this week. He still didn't fire his terrible DC today, though.
Old 01-02-21, 02:41 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,522
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Amazing turn-around for Fields (who played like garbage in the B1G CCG).

Now that the ACC trash has been taken out, let's have us a National Championship Game!
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (01-02-21)
Old 01-02-21, 02:47 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 52,757
Received 1,230 Likes on 750 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

I wonder if Fields just made himself a Jet tonight.
Old 01-02-21, 02:56 AM
  #36  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,171
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I wonder if Fields just made himself a Jet tonight.
From his first cigarette...

I don't follow college ball, but I've watched a couple bowl games that feature guys that have been mocked to the Jets. Based on the one game I've seen from each, I like Fields more than Wilson. I'll be watching the Oregon game tomorrow to see Seewell.

One thing I can say is that none of the QBs, including Lawrence, are gonna have as much time to throw the ball as pros as they're seeing right now. NFL defenses are a different breed altogether.
Old 01-02-21, 11:47 AM
  #37  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 124,558
Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

The Bama/OSU total is 76. Will probably go up.
Old 01-02-21, 07:47 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 6,573
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Nothing was sweeter that watching OSU kick Clemson's ass last night! Thankfully, we were spared from one of Dabo's cornball speeches. He finally wrote a check his ass couldn't cover and it was a sight to behold!
Old 01-11-21, 09:52 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: the 870
Posts: 21,599
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Ohio State in real trouble, they’re in a shootout with Alabama
Old 01-11-21, 09:54 PM
  #40  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 21,742
Received 136 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Was hoping to get some redzone stops to keep up, but it's not happening. Buckeyes getting whooped.
Old 01-11-21, 11:20 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,149
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

The last Ohio State QB to have a bowl game this bad was Shane Falco.
Old 01-12-21, 01:23 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 21,821
Received 124 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
The last Ohio State QB to have a bowl game this bad was Shane Falco.
Yeah. I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars.
Old 01-12-21, 03:43 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 15,544
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Alabama the Patriots of college football.

The CFP title game would be a lot more fun if other conferences outside the SEC were in it.

Maybe convert all the bowl games into playoff games instead of just ranking the top 4 team in two semi-finals.
Old 01-12-21, 01:03 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 21,821
Received 124 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Maybe convert all the bowl games into playoff games instead of just ranking the top 4 team in two semi-finals.
Possible Solution:
1 - Eight team playoff. Five automatic bids go to the champions of the top 5 conferences based on intra-conference winning percentage only. If you want you can reserve one of those five for the conference that is home to the defending national champion, so that school is guaranteed to control their own defense of the title. The other 3 bids can be given to the voters via the polls. If any team goes undefeated, they automatically join the field, bumping the 3rd at-large team.
2 - Teams are seeded based on the polls to give the voters something to do.
3 - First round is at campus sites. Top 3 conference champs plus highest-seeded team regardless of status are designated as "home" teams. Best hosts worst, though juggling parings to avoid teams from the same conference from playing is fine. First round is played the weekend after Army-Navy. Losers could become bowl-eligible if that's desirable.
4 - Semi-finals and finals proceed as usual.

Wouldn't've worked this year, as there were practically no intra-conference games, but using the 2017 season as an example:

Auto-bid conferences: ACC, SEC, B10, B12, P12
Auto-bid conference champs: #1 Clemson (ACC), #3 Georgia (SEC), #5 Ohio State (B10), #2 Oklahoma (B12), #8 USC (P12)
At-Large bids: #4 Alabama (SEC), #6 Wisconsin (B10), #7 Auburn (SEC)
Undefeated Team: #12 Central Florida (American), bumps Auburn

Opening Round (12/17/2016)
#12 UCF (AAC A/L) at #1 /Clemson (ACC)
#8 USC (P12) at #2 Oklahoma (B12)
#6 Wisconsin (B10) at #3 Georgia (SEC)
#5 Ohio State (B10) at #4 Alabama (SEC)

Winners go to Sugar and Rose Bowls, best plays worst but no intra-conference matchups permitted.
Old 01-12-21, 02:45 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,249
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Personally, I think an 8-team CFP would be the sweet spot.
Old 01-12-21, 03:32 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 21,821
Received 124 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Personally, I think an 8-team CFP would be the sweet spot.
As long as teams earn their way in by wins/losses, not by beauty contests or opinion.

I have an innate dislike for championships being awarded based on the opinion of sports writers rather than being decided on the field. The current system reduces the effect of polls but only slightly, as it decides who the top 4 teams are based on opinion rather than something more objective. It's better than the old 2-team BCS system, but what we have only serves to move the arbitrary cutoff line from the 2/3 spot to the 4/5 spot. Teams like Auburn in 2005, who won every game, got excluded because they supposedly didn't look as good as two other teams. But I thought the reason you played was to win, not to look good. Auburn did everything asked of them, they went undefeated, yet they were denied a chance to play for the title. They might have had the best team in the country that year, we'll never know. (By the way, I couldn't care less about Auburn -- I'm an Ohio State fan, but I dislike the way they got shafted by the system). Similarly, Boise State went undefeated in 2004, UCF did that in 2016. Did anyone think they were the best in the land -- nope. But darn it, they should've been given a shot. They were screwed because they don't play in a Big Five Conference. Had they won every game by 100 points, folks would've pooh-poohed them, claiming their schedule was soft. They had ZERO chance of a shot at the title only because of where they play. They MIGHT have had the best team in the country that year, we'll never know.

All I want is for every team in the country to have the ability to earn a national championship based on their own performance without having to worry about impressing voters.
Old 01-12-21, 04:17 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 52,757
Received 1,230 Likes on 750 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

That's a compelling argument for 8 teams. You're bringing me around.
Old 01-12-21, 04:49 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,249
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
As long as teams earn their way in by wins/losses, not by beauty contests or opinion.

I have an innate dislike for championships being awarded based on the opinion of sports writers rather than being decided on the field. The current system reduces the effect of polls but only slightly, as it decides who the top 4 teams are based on opinion rather than something more objective. It's better than the old 2-team BCS system, but what we have only serves to move the arbitrary cutoff line from the 2/3 spot to the 4/5 spot. Teams like Auburn in 2005, who won every game, got excluded because they supposedly didn't look as good as two other teams. But I thought the reason you played was to win, not to look good. Auburn did everything asked of them, they went undefeated, yet they were denied a chance to play for the title. They might have had the best team in the country that year, we'll never know. (By the way, I couldn't care less about Auburn -- I'm an Ohio State fan, but I dislike the way they got shafted by the system). Similarly, Boise State went undefeated in 2004, UCF did that in 2016. Did anyone think they were the best in the land -- nope. But darn it, they should've been given a shot. They were screwed because they don't play in a Big Five Conference. Had they won every game by 100 points, folks would've pooh-poohed them, claiming their schedule was soft. They had ZERO chance of a shot at the title only because of where they play. They MIGHT have had the best team in the country that year, we'll never know.

All I want is for every team in the country to have the ability to earn a national championship based on their own performance without having to worry about impressing voters.
I agree wholeheartedly, though even if the CFP was expanded to 8 teams, there will always been some level of subjective differentation at the cutoff point. What expanding to 8 teams allows for is that it would be much less likely to exclude the kinds of teams you brought up (undefeated while playing a possibly-weaker schedule than other teams through no fault of their own), which is a big reason why I think it's a good idea.
Old 01-12-21, 08:25 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 15,544
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

It would be better than what they have now
Old 01-13-21, 02:51 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,176
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: 2020-2021 College Football Bowl Thread

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I agree wholeheartedly, though even if the CFP was expanded to 8 teams, there will always been some level of subjective differentation at the cutoff point. What expanding to 8 teams allows for is that it would be much less likely to exclude the kinds of teams you brought up (undefeated while playing a possibly-weaker schedule than other teams through no fault of their own), which is a big reason why I think it's a good idea.
Not if a requirement to get in the playoffs is you have to win your conference. I don't care if Georgia is 9-3 and beats a 12-0 Bama in the SEC Championship game. They didn't win their conference game so they don't advance.

This whole "well they have a better record" horseshit has to end. Life isn't fair, win the big games.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.