Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The 2020 NBA Finals Thread -- Miami Heat vs Los Angeles Lakers -- The Florida Bubble Edition

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2020 NBA Finals?
Lakers in 4
6.67%
Lakers in 5
46.67%
Lakers in 6
33.33%
Lakers in 7
0%
Heat in 4
0%
Heat in 5
0%
Heat in 6
6.67%
Heat in 7
6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

The 2020 NBA Finals Thread -- Miami Heat vs Los Angeles Lakers -- The Florida Bubble Edition

Old 09-27-20, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,250 Likes on 923 Posts

Starts Wednesday night on ABC. The 1st ever Fall edition of the NBA Finals

I thought I might as well start this one instead of continuing the long NBA Playoffs thread.
Old 09-27-20, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: The 2020 NBA Finals Thread -- Miami Heat vs Los Angeles Lakers -- The Florida Bubble Edition

Will be interesting to see how many people tune in on the Sunday games. The ratings have been fairly bad when going head to head with the NFL.
Old 09-28-20, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,391 Posts
Re: The 2020 NBA Finals Thread -- Miami Heat vs Los Angeles Lakers -- The Florida Bubble Edition

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ View Post
Will be interesting to see how many people tune in on the Sunday games. The ratings have been fairly bad when going head to head with the NFL.
Do ratings ever take into account that some people flip back and forth between two different sporting events?
Old 09-28-20, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes! for being able to watch the games with the rabbit ears on my HDTV instead of watching on facebook.
Old 09-28-20, 12:59 AM

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

I chose Heat in 6. Should be a great series.
Old 09-28-20, 01:41 AM

Old 09-28-20, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 847 Likes on 669 Posts

Dwight vs. Baby Dwight...
Old 09-28-20, 02:01 AM

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Do ratings ever take into account that some people flip back and forth between two different sporting events?
I honestly have no clue how the current method of TV ratings works now. But if say you are being tracked for rating purposes, then it would probably count both events?
Old 09-28-20, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

Lakers in 6.
Old 09-28-20, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 121 Posts

I dislike both teams, but dislike the Lakers more. But I probably dislike Butler more than the Lakers star players. Can they both just lose?
Old 09-28-20, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I dislike both teams, but dislike the Lakers more. But I probably dislike Butler more than the Lakers star players. Can they both just lose?
You have to hand it to Butler though. Everyone, and I mean everyone, thought he was crazy for leaving the 76ers and not joining another super team, and he always said he loved the attitude and structure of the Heat organization and that he wasn't just after a payday. From that podcast where he talked about the chaos in Philadelphia:

“No matter if you’re on a minimum contract or a max contract, everybody is running in the conditioning test at the beginning of the year. No matter if you’re on a minimum contract or a max contract, everybody is showing up to the plane in Heat gear. It’s the smallest things that just show who that organization is. Come on, coach Pat is in every practice, at every home game, he’s going a lot on the road. But it’s like all hands on deck. Everybody is in this thing.”
He's been categorized as "too wild to control" but every team that has lost him has been worse for it, and he willingly went to a team that had more structure and authority, so it's not like he just wanted freedom to do whatever he wanted.

Michelob Ultra chose their spokesman well. Mountain Dew, however... "Joel Embiid is sad." Yeah no kidding.
Old 09-28-20, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Sad to see the Celtics lose but it was a great series overall. Props to Miami. That being said, LA in 5. They can't stop LeBron or AD.
Old 09-28-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Sad to see the Celtics lose but it was a great series overall. Props to Miami. That being said, LA in 5. They can't stop LeBron or AD.
Most teams can probably contain one of them, it's when they're together that it's a major problem.
Old 09-28-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Most teams can probably contain one of them, it's when they're together that it's a major problem.
AD is the bigger concern. Who does Miami have that can match with him? Bam? Not that the Celtics would have a great answer for him but at least Theis and Kanter are close, physically.
Old 09-28-20, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
AD is the bigger concern. Who does Miami have that can match with him? Bam? Not that the Celtics would have a great answer for him but at least Theis and Kanter are close, physically.
On the other hand, I don't know how the Lakers handle Dragic, Herro and Robinson. I feel like I (and everyone else) has been underestimating Miami for this entire playoffs (besides the 1st round), and they've proven me wrong every time. Either way I hope it's a good series.
Old 09-28-20, 11:59 AM

On the other hand, I don't know how the Lakers handle Dragic, Herro and Robinson.
They're great, no doubt - especially Herro. But of course I heard repeatedly that the Lakers would have no answer for Dame, Harden and Murray and yet here they are losing only one game to each of their teams.
Old 09-28-20, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're great, no doubt - especially Herro. But of course I heard repeatedly that the Lakers would have no answer for Dame, Harden and Murray and yet here they are losing only one game to each of their teams.
I would say all those guys are either the 1 or 1A on their team, and the three I mentioned are like maybe the 3rd best. The other thing is, all three of those teams were really questionable defensively (though statistically Houston was decent), and the Heat seem a lot better on that end (and they'll have to be).

I still think the Lakers win, I mean Lebron is focused and firing on all cylinders. He put away that last game down the stretch pretty much by himself, and he knows exactly how to attack the weak point in the defense. But the role players need to step up.
Old 09-28-20, 12:22 PM

I still think the Lakers win, I mean Lebron is focused and firing on all cylinders. He put away that last game down the stretch pretty much by himself, and he knows exactly how to attack the weak point in the defense. But the role players need to step up.
No doubt about that. The only one who really has stepped up has been, amazingly, Playoff Rondo. And, to a lesser but significant extent the equally-shocking Dwight Howard. Danny Green really needs to be productive and I am hoping he starts soon. I have never been much of a Kuzma fan but man, it's time to show up and hit some shots.
And to be fair, Alex Caruso has done a much better job than I had expected. That guy is 5% talent and 95% effort. I can see why he's a fan favorite.
Old 09-28-20, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I definitely do hand it to Butler, what he did has played out perfectly.

As for questioning the Heat re how they handle AD, that's kinda weird, he's the star where the answer is obvious. Bam is tailor made to stop him. Lebron causes bigger issues, IMO. I think this series will be decided by how well the Heat can contain LeBron vs how the Lakers secondary players do vs the Heat.
Old 09-28-20, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 330 Likes on 275 Posts

Network executives were shitting themselves at the thought of a Miami-Denver final.
Old 09-28-20, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Network executives were shitting themselves at the thought of a Miami-Denver final.
And that's why Silver made the call to one Mason Plumlee...
Old 09-28-20, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,250 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Like the New Jersey/San Antonio NBA Finals from years ago. I'm pretty sure that was probably one of the lowest rated NBA Finals.
Old 09-28-20, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I definitely do hand it to Butler, what he did has played out perfectly.

As for questioning the Heat re how they handle AD, that's kinda weird, he's the star where the answer is obvious. Bam is tailor made to stop him. Lebron causes bigger issues, IMO. I think this series will be decided by how well the Heat can contain LeBron vs how the Lakers secondary players do vs the Heat.
I think Butler might be as good a choice as anyone in the League besides Kawhi to contain him (to some extent).
Old 09-28-20, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Butler might be as good a choice as anyone in the League besides Kawhi to contain him (to some extent).
Maybe. They also have Iggy and Crowder.

The Lakers have to be big favorites, but I'm done underestimating the Heat. I now predict Herro scores 87 points in Game 2. And Robinson goes 57 for 83 from downtown.
Old 09-28-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hilarious: Regardless of who wins, Dion Waiters is getting a ring!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.