Reload this Page >

2020 NBA Playoffs Thread -- The Coronavirus Bubble Edition

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-15-20, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,270 Likes on 937 Posts

Here's the schedule. The Lakers opponent will be determined by the Grizzlies/Blazers Play-in Game.

Old 08-15-20, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,270 Likes on 937 Posts
Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs Thread -- The Coronavirus Bubble Edition

Blazers hung on and won today against the Grizzlies. They are playing the Lakers Tuesday night. Should be a good series.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-15-20 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-16-20, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 126 Posts

Blazers are a very dangerous 8 seed.
Old 08-16-20, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree. I think the Lakers advance but it’ll go five or six.
Old 08-16-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 861 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
If they were healthy all season, they would've been 5/6, I think. Nurkic has been awesome and he was missing all year.
Old 08-16-20, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
If they were healthy all season, they would've been 5/6, I think. Nurkic has been awesome and he was missing all year.
Exactly. With Nurk they're close to the team that went to the WCFs last year.
Old 08-16-20, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I do feel like they really, really miss Ariza, at least defensively. They cannot stop anyone. Like at all. That last game before the play in it was almost comical how Portland couldn't buy an offensive rebound in that 4th quarter against the Nets, and then Lavert and Morant just roasted them those last two games.

Those are just the games I watched. Brown and Tatum got 30 each (Walker played limited minutes), Josh Richardson scored what had to be a season high 34, etc.
Old 08-16-20, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

In the last 40 years how many times has an 8th seed defeated the No. 1 seed in the NBA playoffs?
Old 08-16-20, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

Received 216 Likes on 152 Posts

The Denver Nuggets eliminated the Seattle SuperSonics 3–2 in 1994.
The New York Knicks eliminated the Miami Heat 3–2 in 1999.
The Golden State Warriors defeated the Dallas Mavericks 4–2 in the 2007 Western Conference First Round (becoming the first 8 seed to beat a 1 seed in the best of 7 format).
In 2011, the Memphis Grizzlies beat the San Antonio Spurs, 4–2.
In 2012, the Philadelphia 76ers beat the Chicago Bulls 4–2.
The following users liked this post:
dvd-4-life (08-16-20)
Old 08-17-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 292 Likes on 217 Posts

First Round Predictions:
Lakers in 6
Thunder in 7
Nuggets in 6
Clippers in 6
Bucks in 5
Heat in 7
Celtics in 6
Raptors in 5
Old 08-17-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nuggets are leading the Jazz right now but the big news is Conley being away for two games due to leaving the bubble for the birth of his son. I think they basically have Mitchell playing point guard right now.
Old 08-17-20, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Utah wasted a 57 (!) point game by Mitchell today and lost to Denver in OT.

Murray with 36 and jokic with 29.
Old 08-17-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Incredible game by Donovan Mitchell but Jamal Murray got hot at the right time & lifted Denver to a win.
Old 08-17-20, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 216 Likes on 152 Posts

Toronto is putting a big spanking on Brooklyn in the 1st half (not surprising).
Old 08-17-20, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Toronto is putting a big spanking on Brooklyn in the 1st half (not surprising).
Yeah the top two seeds in the East are going to basically have tune up games in the first round unless something goes horribly wrong with injuries.

edited to add: and just as I said that the Nets are within striking distance in the 3rd...

Last edited by fujishig; 08-17-20 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-18-20, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Celtics in 6
My Sixers could go down in 5 as Embiid was out of gas last night at the end of the game. It's amazing this guy can't get in shape even in a bubble with nothing to do all day.

Oh well if the Sixers lose, I can tune out from the NBA as I'm sick of all of the politics that has been way overdone. I'm usually a diehard who follows the league even after the Sixers lose and love the sport, but it's just too much politics for me.

Old 08-18-20, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 135 Likes on 104 Posts

Politics? They wear an expression on their jersey. The game is still played the same way.
Old 08-18-20, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Politics? They wear an expression on their jersey. The game is still played the same way.
There is also huge 'Black Lives Matter' plastered on the court, you don't think that is political? The commentators constantly talked about it too as Doris Burke was talking about Mail-in Ballots during one game. Yeah, I tune into an NBA game to hear about Mail-in Ballots. Would you like it if the NBA were a conservative run league and they plastered 'Abortion is Murder' on the court? Or the players wore Conservative sayings on their jerseys? I'm consistent in that I don't want any politics in sports, whether it agrees with my viewpoint or not. Sports is one form of entertainment where I can get away from the political world, and now it's seeped into it.

The NBA has a total right to get political, and I have a total right to tune out.

Last edited by mcnabb; 08-18-20 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-18-20, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Imagine that, a league full of black men doesn't want black men to be killed and wants to express that.

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
The NBA has a total right to get political, and I have a total right to tune out.
I appreciate that; most people who complain about sports and politics (or entertainers and politics) act like those people should shut up. At least you recognize that they don't need to shut up, you're just exercising your right not to care what they say.
Old 08-18-20, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There is also huge 'Black Lives Matter' plastered on the court, you don't think that is political? The commentators constantly talked about it too as Doris Burke was talking about Mail-in Ballots during one game. Yeah, I tune into an NBA game to hear about Mail-in Ballots. Would you like it if the NBA were a conservative run league and they plastered 'Abortion is Murder' on the court? Or the players wore Conservative sayings on their jerseys? I'm consistent in that I don't want any politics in sports, whether it agrees with my viewpoint or not. Sports is one form of entertainment where I can get away from the political world, and now it's seeped into it.

Abortion is Murder would be akin to having "Defund the Police" or something more politically charged. Having something plastered all over the court in a league that as LurkerDan said is mainly made up of a demographic who is directly affected by it doesn't seem all that strange to me. Also I'm pretty sure if a player wanted they could put a conservative saying on their jersey? Is there a restriction on that?
Old 08-18-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,420 Posts

You can put VOTE on your jersey. If you want people to vote for your party, that should be a totally appropriate message, right?
Old 08-18-20, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You can put VOTE on your jersey. If you want people to vote for your party, that should be a totally appropriate message, right?
I dunno, I still think this is taking it too far:

Old 08-18-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Imagine that, a league full of black men doesn't want black men to be killed and wants to express that.
Again, I'm not arguing the issue. I'm arguing that I don't want any politics in my sports or they risk turning me out. I grew up in a time where athletes didn't get involved in politics (80's/90's), as Michael Jordan famously said, "Republicans buy sneakers too!" It has nothing to do with what they are protesting, as I would get annoyed if they put a Trump 2020 saying across the court. If I want to get my political fix, there is a WHOLE host of outlets I can get my politics at. And NBA game is a basketball game to me.

And as I've said before, I do find it ironic that the NBA players are getting political now, yet they all went mum last fall about China after the Rockets GM tweeted to 'Free Hong Kong.' It's interesting that they don't want to alientate the China market?

I appreciate that; most people who complain about sports and politics (or entertainers and politics) act like those people should shut up. At least you recognize that they don't need to shut up, you're just exercising your right not to care what they say.
That's what makes this country great is everyone is allowed to do what they want. The players and NBA have a right to put as much politics as they want into the games, and I have a right to tune out. I love the NBA so I am one of their key fans (unlike most of my friends who only tune in when Jordan, Kobe or Lebron make the Finals). I'm very turned off by the politics because I know that will open a can worms (example: Milsap Jersey that was posted above).

I'm just different than you guys as I enjoy entertainment (political free) as that is one time I can get away from what is going on in the world). That is why I tuned out of late night as they got too political, that is why I tuned out of award shows as they got too political, and now the NBA is really turning me off. I'm not here to convince you guys as that's not my point, all I'm saying is the politics is too much for me (no matter what the issue is).
Old 08-18-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it wasn't clear, I was just joking about the Millsap jersey, I honestly didn't think anyone could be offended by having vote on a jersey. But I understand where you're coming from, mcnabb. However, what if the Sixers make the Finals?

Clippers barely eked out the win yesterday and that was only after a questionable ejection of Porzingis (well, at least one of his two techs was questionable). Should be a good series, though.
Old 08-18-20, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not here to convince you guys as that's not my point, all I'm saying is the politics is too much for me (no matter what the issue is).
I'm the opposite. Jordan got a lot of heat for not speaking up on issues of his time, and I agree with those who gave him heat. I am much more in favor of a guy like Lebron, who uses his platform to speak out against things. I WANT my entertainers to have opinions and I want to know what they are. I don't want to watch a movie with James Woods in it, I don't want to give my time and attention to that nutjob. I like players more when they speak out, I gain respect for them. And if they have opinions I strongly disagree with, then I get to not respect them for good reasons.

That said, the China thing bugs the crap out of me. Our entire country -- political leadership and economy -- looks the other way on China because it makes us money (same thing with Saudi Arabia). That pisses me off, I wish they were more honest and more consistent.
The following users liked this post:
spainlinx0 (08-19-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.