Reload this Page >

Official 2020 NBA Off-Season Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-14-20, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 567 Posts

For the first time in many years, we don't have to start this thread by welcoming Lakers fans!

Bulls fire head coach Jim Boylen after 2 seasons
The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
davidh777 (10-15-20), LurkerDan (08-14-20), Sonny Corinthos (08-15-20)
Old 08-14-20, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 365 Likes on 280 Posts
Re: Official 2020 NBA Off-Season Thread

Suns are officially the first team to win their last 8 games and not make the playoffs. Of course, usually if you're that far out you start tanking, but still an incredible feat, I would be very encouraged as a Suns fan.

The announcers for the game yesterday said that only two players on the whole team are married with kids, and they started speculating that the lack of distractions in the bubble may have helped the team. I'm not sure there's any way of knowing for sure but that's a hilarious theory.

Speaking of, we have no idea what the state of the virus is going to be whenever they get around to next season so maybe the bubble Suns will continue (though obviously they can't be in the bubble long term).
Old 08-14-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Joel Embiid said on JJ Reddick's podcast he misses playing with Jimmy Butler (they have become best friends). Embiid has been pouting all year (and supposedly he and Ben Simmons aren't getting along), so I wonder if he starts the wheels in motion to push a trade to the Heat? I don't know what assets the Heat have but Pat Riley is one of the best GM's in the game. The way the NBA stars have all the power, it wouldn't suprise me in 2020.
Old 08-14-20, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Joel Embiid said on JJ Reddick's podcast he misses playing with Jimmy Butler (they have become best friends). Embiid has been pouting all year (and supposedly he and Ben Simmons aren't getting along), so I wonder if he starts the wheels in motion to push a trade to the Heat? I don't know what assets the Heat have but Pat Riley is one of the best GM's in the game. The way the NBA stars have all the power, it wouldn't suprise me in 2020.
Maybe they could trade Butler for him...

Darnit, already counting the 76ers out and in the off season?

Old 08-14-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Maybe they could trade Butler for him...

Darnit, already counting the 76ers out and in the off season?
The 2019-20 team was an implosion waiting to happen from day one. Now that Simmons is out indefinitely, a long playoff run is pretty much out of the question. Joel has been unhappy all season (he has said countless times he isn't having fun anymore), sounds like Ben Simmons has a serious knee injury, we have a 26 million dollar Al Horford who can't find a place in the offense next to Embiid/Simmons, and Jimmy Butler (who is now playing for the Heat) was the heart of soul of the team last year. Along with a Head Coach who is on the doorstep from getting fired. I love the Sixers and will be watching every game against the Celtics next week in Round 1, but I think THEY are the one's who are into the offseason.
Old 08-14-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Losing Reddick was a huge loss for that team. When your 2 best players can't shoot from outside, you need to surround them with shooters.

Embiid to the Heat for Adebayo, Herro, Iguodala, and picks?
Old 08-14-20, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I have to laugh at Horford who gave up over 10 million when he left the Celtics to joint Philly. He could be 10+ million richer AND be on a better team if he didn't opt out of his last contract year.

Last edited by Noonan; 08-14-20 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-14-20, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I have to laugh at Horford who gave up over 10+ million when he left the Celtics to joint Philly. He could be 10+ million richer AND be on a better team if he didn't opt out of his last contract year.
It wasn't the money this year, it was the longevity. Philly gave him four years, no way the Celtics were going to do that (not sure anyone else would have either).

The 76ers definitely needed Butler (and Reddick, who actually missed the playoffs for the first time in forever... either of those guys were probably a better fit than even Harris). Actually, Minnesota really needed him too (they made the playoffs because of him and haven't even been close since). But he wasn't really happy in either situation and an unhappy Butler is not good for your team, so it actually worked out well for him going to Miami, probably better than anyone thought it would.

The team I really need to eat crow on, though, is OKC (who are not in the offseason yet, I know): I didn't think they had a chance at all, and this is with liking a lot of their players (some of their best players are former Clippers). Trading away both of their superstars worked out pretty well for them (well, as well as it could).
Old 08-14-20, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The Jim Boylen firing was a long time coming. Apparently, the reason it took this long was because they were waiting for the 19-20' season to be officially over.
Old 08-14-20, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I have to laugh at Horford who gave up over 10 million when he left the Celtics to joint Philly. He could be 10+ million richer AND be on a better team if he didn't opt out of his last contract year.
Uh, Horford signed with the Sixers because it came with more money. I guarantee you he is getting more in total compensation with the Sixers than if he had stayed in Boston (regardless of opting in or not). That's the actual reason he left!
Old 08-14-20, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 468 Likes on 346 Posts

Vlade Divac is out as Kings GM

Old 08-14-20, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I wonder if this means Luke is out, because IMHO he hasn't done the team any favors either. Hield especially seems disgruntled and he's their best player.
Old 08-14-20, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That would probably be up to Joe Dumars and the new GM. Luke was a Vlade hire, so who knows if the new GM wants to stick with him.
Old 08-14-20, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I wonder if this means Luke is out, because IMHO he hasn't done the team any favors either. Hield especially seems disgruntled and he's their best player.
Yeah, Luke has been a shit sandwich for that team.

But Hield is not their best player.
Old 08-14-20, 07:08 PM

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Yeah, Luke has been a shit sandwich for that team.

But Hield is not their best player.
Yep. Hield doesn't even start. De'Aaron Fox is their best player easily with Hield, Bagley, and Bogdanovic pretty even for second.
Old 08-14-20, 07:10 PM

Losing Reddick was a huge loss for that team. When your 2 best players can't shoot from outside, you need to surround them with shooters.

Embiid to the Heat for Adebayo, Herro, Iguodala, and picks?
No way the Heat trade Adebayo even it was for Embiid. Especially with Embiid's injury history.
Old 08-14-20, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Yep. Hield doesn't even start. De'Aaron Fox is their best player easily with Hield, Bagley, and Bogdanovic pretty even for second.
Ah, right, I completely forgot about Fox (has he been injured the past couple?), and for some reason I just assumed Bogdan was moving on since he didn't sign an extension yet, but that's probably premature.

Luke is staying anyway:

Old 08-15-20, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pelicans fired Alvin Gentry

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/08/...h-alvin-gentry

No surprise there. They were awful in the bubble and overall had a disappointing season considering all the talent they acquired.
Old 08-15-20, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gentry is universally acknowledged as a great guy, and a great basketball mind, but I think it should be very clear by now that he's not a good head coach.
Old 08-15-20, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
No way the Heat trade Adebayo even it was for Embiid. Especially with Embiid's injury history.
Maybe not. But it's fairly easy to imagine Embiid as the best player on a championship team, much harder to imagine that with Adebayo, though he's a great player who is still improving a lot.
Old 08-15-20, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Pelicans fired Alvin Gentry

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/08/...h-alvin-gentry

No surprise there. They were awful in the bubble and overall had a disappointing season considering all the talent they acquired.
Man that has to be an attractive job for any out of work NBA head coach or very hot college coach.
Old 08-15-20, 05:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

That is clear. I never really understood why the Chicago vacancy is dubbed as an "attractive destination", maybe when compared to the Knicks? I would think 10 out of 10 candidates rather go with NO if offered both positions. Unless, for some reason, a coach actually buys into the supposed cultural change by the Bulls front office.
Old 08-15-20, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe not. But it's fairly easy to imagine Embiid as the best player on a championship team, much harder to imagine that with Adebayo, though he's a great player who is still improving a lot.
They don't need Adebayo to be the best player on a championship team when they have Jimmy Butler. That said even if Adebayo improves every year he doesn't have a ceiling near Embiids. If the Sixers feel they have to trade Embiid and break up him and Simmons any team would be crazy not get him at a low rate.
Old 08-16-20, 02:01 PM

I don't see any chance that Embiid gets even remotely close to reaching his ceiling. He's way too injury prone, constantly out of shape, and doesn't have the alpha mindset necessary to lead a championship team.
Old 08-19-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The body cam video with Masai Ujiri and the police officer from last year Game 6 celebration has been released by Ujiriís lawyers and it clearly shows that the officer instigated the confrontation. Pointless lawsuit by the officer.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.