Reload this Page >

Official 2020 NBA Off-Season Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Official 2020 NBA Off-Season Thread

Old 09-15-20, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts
Re: Official 2020 NBA Off-Season Thread

#$%@[email protected]! Clippers. 3-1 loss again. Again!
Old 09-15-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 365 Likes on 274 Posts

I smell another job opening with the Clippers.
Old 09-16-20, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy shit. What a fucking choke job by LAC. They gave up all those picks for Paul George too.
Old 09-16-20, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess the P in Playoff P stands for puke
Old 09-16-20, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 737 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
Holy shit. What a fucking choke job by LAC. They gave up all those picks for Paul George too.
More first round picks (5) than baskets scored by Playoff P in Game 7 (4).
Old 09-16-20, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Can't blame LAC for PG; he was required to get Leonard. Blame "the klaw" for wanting him so badly.
Old 09-16-20, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Can't blame LAC for PG; he was required to get Leonard. Blame "the klaw" for wanting him so badly.
Ultimately it's not up to the Free Agent to make up the roster of a team. If the Clips had landed a second superstar free agent already (and they had structured their cap to do just exactly that) they wouldn't have had to mortgage their future to land PG.
Old 09-16-20, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Ultimately it's not up to the Free Agent to make up the roster of a team. If the Clips had landed a second superstar free agent already (and they had structured their cap to do just exactly that) they wouldn't have had to mortgage their future to land PG.
Assuming the rumors were true, Leonard wouldn't sign unless the team got PG as well; which is why he's not in purple/gold this season (or still in Toronto for that matter). It was either find a way to pay for PG also or pass on signing Leonard.
Old 09-16-20, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Any team would've done the same deal and twice on Tuesday to land Kawhi and PG. Let's not have revisionist history here.

The way OKC went out last year and blew up their team, it's easy to forget that PG13 had an incredible season that year:
28 ppg, 8.2 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 2.2 steals, with comparable stats even in the playoffs.
Old 09-16-20, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Any team would've done the same deal and twice on Tuesday to land Kawhi and PG. Let's not have revisionist history here.

The way OKC went out last year and blew up their team, it's easy to forget that PG13 had an incredible season that year:
28 ppg, 8.2 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 2.2 steals, with comparable stats even in the playoffs.
Except for Toronto who refused to trade away Pascal to land PG.
Old 09-16-20, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Except for Toronto who refused to trade away Pascal to land PG.
Ask them if they would've done that trade now...

As bad as Pandemic P has been, he at least showed up at times in the second round. I'm not sure Pascal did for even a single game. His best game was game 4 when he scored 23 but took 23 shots to do it.

Granted he's much younger and still a cornerstone of the franchise but man where did he go?
The following users liked this post:
actionjackson29 (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This saddens me greatly, but is spot on. Also, nsfw language:

The Maine Clippers...
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
Shamus McAnally (09-20-20), spainlinx0 (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I would say the good news for the LAC is Kawhi is from the city and you will have time to try and figure out what adjustments need to be made to the roster. I don't think he is opting out unless this goes fully off the rails
Old 09-16-20, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
I would say the good news for the LAC is Kawhi is from the city and you will have time to try and figure out what adjustments need to be made to the roster. I don't think he is opting out unless this goes fully off the rails
They have them for another year at least. After that it really depends on the salary cap, everyone had expected it to continually go up (hence the shorter deals) but the reality might be a salary cap shrinkage and maybe opting in even if it's not the best situation would be more profitable for them than getting a new contract.

The real issues:
Doc: if they get rid of him, who do they get? I guess there are a ton of coaches out there now, though. These epic collapses in the second half of games are becoming a signature for him, and it's not good.
Other contracts: They went all in and acquired a bunch of pieces that are cheap and on the last year of their deals. First and foremost is Harrell, who will surely command big bucks but is still an undersized center. Marcus Morris will be looking for a raise, and while he didn't do all that much Reggie Jackson is basically making peanuts, and they needed him when Beverley was out. I don't think you just spend the money to bring all these pieces back long term
After that: obviously they mortgaged the future to get PG and Kawhi, so they have a year to work it out but are in major trouble for basically the next half decade after that if things don't work out.

Still, the trade was worth it. The alternative was fielding a team with SGA (who is great) but overpaying Tobias Harris and being the scrappy team in a talent-loaded West.
Old 09-16-20, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This saddens me greatly, but is spot on. Also, nsfw language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM-NcMZhcaA

The Maine Clippers...

Old 09-17-20, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Vince Carter has his new job

Old 09-17-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love Vince.
Old 09-19-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

LeBron on post-season awards :

Old 09-21-20, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For anyone who might be interested, this past Friday's 20/20 dedicated their full episode on the murder of Lorenzen Wright.

https://abc.com/shows/2020/episode-g...ery-in-memphis

Former Clippers and Grizzlies center who was murdered by the boyfriend of his ex-wife, who sanctioned the killing.
Old 09-22-20, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 09-22-20, 07:25 PM

Rightly or wrongly, the Bulls has long had this stigma/reputation of not treating their players right. This is why even when they had the cap space for two max players nobody wanted to go there. What is a fact though, is that they had been living off the good will of their 90's dynasty and truly have not done shit since. They have a long way to to re-establish themselves as an organization with a desire to win and is willing to do what it takes to get there. With the long overdue overhaul of their front office, they might finally have the vision and the plan to go toward that goal.

Interestingly, this is actually the first time in a long time that the Bulls hired an established coach for the position. For the longest time they kept hiring people with zero professional head coaching experience ( Doug Collins, Phil Jackson, Tim Floyd, Bill Cartwright, Vinnie Del Negro, Tom Thibodeau, Fred Hoiberg, and Jim Boylen ), some worked out but most others were just unmitigated disasters. Billy Donovan will be the first hire since Scott Skiles in 2003 that comes into the job with prior HC experience.
Old 09-22-20, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ View Post
Rightly or wrongly, the Bulls has long had this stigma/reputation of not treating their players right. This is why even when they had the cap space for two max players nobody wanted to go there. What is a fact though, is that they had been living off the good will of their 90's dynasty and truly have not done shit since. They have a long way to to re-establish themselves as an organization with a desire to win and is willing to do what it takes to get there. With the long overdue overhaul of their front office, they might finally have the vision and the plan to go toward that goal.

Interestingly, this is actually the first time in a long time that the Bulls hired an established coach for the position. For the longest time they kept hiring people with zero professional head coaching experience ( Doug Collins, Phil Jackson, Tim Floyd, Bill Cartwright, Vinnie Del Negro, Tom Thibodeau, Fred Hoiberg, and Jim Boylen ), some worked out but most others were just unmitigated disasters. Billy Donovan will be the first hire since Scott Skiles in 2003 that comes into the job with prior HC experience.
You're talking NBA HC experience, but I don't think that's necessarily a knock on a team if they go out of the box to hire coaches. This wasn't necessarily the organization being too cheap to hire a coach (trust me, I'm a Clippers fan, i know what that looks like). For whatever reason they were enamored with Floyd even during the Jackson dynasty, and they hit paydirt for a little bit with Thibodeau. Hoiberg, for instance, was seen as someone from the college ranks that would do well (and then he started coaching).

I don't think you have to necessarily keep hiring retreads, and it's hard to attract the best retreads without a talent-laden roster.

They really hired Jim Boylan and Jim Boylen, though? man.
Old 09-22-20, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think you have to necessarily keep hiring retreads, and it's hard to attract the best retreads without a talent-laden roster.
And yet somehow the Bulls landed Billy Donovan. Must have paid him a fortune. Where do they draft?

And have we decided if this is a terrible draft class or just one full of players nobody knows?
Old 09-22-20, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
And yet somehow the Bulls landed Billy Donovan. Must have paid him a fortune. Where do they draft?

And have we decided if this is a terrible draft class or just one full of players nobody knows?
Both? Thereís obviously limited info this season, but I donít think thereís a consensus top pick. Bulls are fourth, so itís possible they might get their top choice there if other teams value other guys.
Old 09-23-20, 12:38 AM

You're talking NBA HC experience, but I don't think that's necessarily a knock on a team if they go out of the box to hire coaches. This wasn't necessarily the organization being too cheap to hire a coach (trust me, I'm a Clippers fan, i know what that looks like). For whatever reason they were enamored with Floyd even during the Jackson dynasty, and they hit paydirt for a little bit with Thibodeau. Hoiberg, for instance, was seen as someone from the college ranks that would do well (and then he started coaching).

They really hired Jim Boylan and Jim Boylen, though? man.
Yeah, my comment about the Bulls not hiring retreads was not a complaint, but more of an observation of their tendency. Obviously, Phil Jackson alone is evidence enough to warrant taking a chance on new bloods. However, Jerry Krause's master plan "After Jordan" completely blew up in his face, and everything he did failed miserably; that included setting up his buddy Tim Floyd for failure. But the worst recent hire of all had to be Jim Boylen, who took less than a month to lose the whole team, and players regressed under his watch. There were also unsubstantiated rumor that Boylen back-stabbed Hoiberg to get the HC job, which I have no idea what to make of. Bottom line, there is no doubt in my mind that Boylen is one of the worst coaches in the NBA.