Reload this Page >

You live in (Insert city), but you're not a fan/hate which local sports teams

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-27-20, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,183 Likes on 878 Posts

Thought this might be an interesting question to ask.

So you live in a certain city, but you don't like or hate one or more of the local sports teams. This could be college or pro. But, it has to be a sport you like. Not some random sport you don't watch or hate.

Anyone care to share theirs?

I'm an NBA fan mostly, but I don't like the Los Angeles Clippers. I will never ever accept them. They will always be the inferior team to me compared to the Lakers. I grew up in So. Cal since I was 2 years old and have watched the NBA actively for close to 40 years and this will always be a Lakers city for NBA for me.

Also, I'm an NFL fan and I will absolutely never accept the Los Angeles Chargers. It was a joke that they even moved to Los Angeles in the 1st place. Their ownership is terrible and they treated the fans in San Diego like shit.

Old 07-28-20, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Re: You live in (Insert city), but you're not a fan/hate which local sports teams

I live in Las Vegas but have always hated the Raiders. Hated them as a kid being a L.A. Rams fan (when the Raiders were much more popular in L.A.) then changed allegiance in med school and became a Chiefs fan for life, who are division rivals of the Raiders. Now I am a Raiders Season Ticket holder and PSL owner. That is mostly so I can see the Chiefs every year. Otherwise I will wear
black colored Golden Knights gear. Will never own or wear any Raiders clothing.
Old 07-28-20, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
Re: You live in (Insert city), but you're not a fan/hate which local sports teams

I like most of the Bay Area teams but watching Raiders games will not be a priority on Sun unless it is a good matchup.

The Warriors are ok but I liked Lakers and the Bulls in the 90's better.
Old 07-28-20, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I live in East Tennessee, and am a football fan, but have no interest at all in UT football. Everything here...and I mean EVERYTHING, is Volunteer orange.
Old 07-28-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm in Kansas City and genuinely don't care about any sports coverage about the Missouri Tigers(Football or Basketball). The majority of graduates don't come to KC, they divorced themselves from the Big 12 and all the great rivalries that went on in the conference, their arrogance is sickening, and the protests and fallout from alleged racist incidents in 2015-16 that turned out to be hoaxes were embarrassing.
Old 07-28-20, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

DC. Don't care about the Nats and Wiz. O's fan. Couldn't care less about the NBA.
Old 07-28-20, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Closest pro market is Dallas
piss on the Cowboys
Old 07-28-20, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

I am in New York and I hate the Jets & the Giants.
Old 07-28-20, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 104 Posts

I live in Boston and I haven’t been able to stand the Red Sox since the current ownership took over. I was a fan all my life and I missed all the World Series in this century due to my hatred of John Henry
Old 07-29-20, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 313 Likes on 218 Posts

I hate the fucking Green Bay Packers
Old 07-29-20, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I hate the fucking Green Bay Packers
I'm guessing you are one of the only people in the state that feels that way. I'd say Aaron Rogers is pretty unlikable at this stage of his career.
Old 07-29-20, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Colts.

It's not football up in the "Oil Can". They play inside an antiseptic sterile shopping mall. I've been to games in scads of NFL stadiums - Cincinnati (Riverfont and Paul Brown), Cleveland (Municipal), Baltimore (Memorial), Miami (Joe Robbie), New Orleans (Superdome), Denver (Mile High), Minneapolis (US Bank), Green Bay (Lambeau), Dallas (AT&T), Washington (FedEx), Carolina (Bank of America), San Diego (Joe Robbie), San Francisco (Candlestick), St Louis (TWA Dome)... even Vancouver (BC Place for CFL), London (Wembley twice) and Barcelona (Montjuic for WLAF).... and likely more that I've forgotten. I've even been to the RCA Dome back when it was standing.... every single one of these places are "football" stadiums. The experience in Indianapolis today is just.... bad.

Sure, it's comfortable. It's like you're in your living room. But the atmosphere is juvenile. Every break in play is accompanied by some on-field personality doing some minor-league schtick, "Hey Colts Fans! It's Kelly! I'm here in the North End Zone with Tom and Mary Sixpack from Muncie and they're here to play NAME THAT COLT!" or "Hey Colts Fans! I'm Tom, and I have a very special announcement. Today is Billy Bumfucker's SIXTH BIRTHDAY and he's here to watch the Colts WIN!" or "Hey Colts Fans! It's Kelly again, and I'm with Rufus Meatgrinder from Terre Haute and we're gonna play COLT PLINKO!"

Or they have their mascot run around in a golf cart shooting t-shirts into the stands.
Or they play awful rap music and challenge the dome camera operators to find the ONLY black family in the lower bowl to see if they're dancing.

I swear to god - it's like being at a minor league baseball game. And the fans - Jesus - they're the worst. They've been spoiled with nearly 20 consecutive years of Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck, with only the single "Suck For Luck" transition year. They're entitled. They're spoiled. They think they're toughened but complain if the roof is open and it's not 73 degrees. And when Luck announced his retirement - they booed.

Classy.

Can't stand them. I root for the Colts to lose every week they're not playing Pittsburgh, or of them winning helps my team. But in general, fuck them and their fans.
Old 07-29-20, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a difficult time comprehending statewide fandom of college programs, especially since most fans didn't even go to school there. This isn't directed exclusively at THE Ohio State (which I admittedly do hate); I have spent enough time in Alabama and Louisiana to know their fan bases are just as obnoxious.

I don't "hate" the Bengals no matter how easy their ownership makes it, but the only times I have paid to attend games are when they have hosted other teams I wanted to watch.
Old 07-29-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've worked at the University of Michigan for over 15 years, but I am a huge Ohio State fan.
Old 07-29-20, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Received 204 Likes on 147 Posts

I live a little north of Cincinnati, and never cared for the Bengals. I've been to many games at Riverfront and Paul Brown Stadium, but it's to see the other team. Lifelong Reds fan, though.
Old 07-29-20, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 313 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I'm guessing you are one of the only people in the state that feels that way. I'd say Aaron Rogers is pretty unlikable at this stage of his career.
You’d be surprised. There are a ton of people here that still think he stole Brett Favre’s job.
Old 07-29-20, 05:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ranger fan, cannot stand the islanders
Old 07-29-20, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Dallas and Cowboys
Old 07-29-20, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

North Seattle suburbs and the Seahawks. Don't care for Pete Carroll since the USC days and opinion of the team will drop even further if they actually sign Antonio Brown.
Old 07-29-20, 11:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

From Boston, but I live in L.A. I support Boston teams. Don't watch college.
Old 07-30-20, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Lived in Dallas 9 years. Hated the cowboys before, during, and after living there. Have always liked the Mavs and Rangers though.
Old 07-30-20, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 837 Likes on 662 Posts

I hate UCLA but that's probably cheating.
Old 07-31-20, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

Live in LA, hate the Clippers and Chargers. Also hate the Anaheim Ducks since technically it's the same market. If you want to go state-wide, I hate the Padres, Warriors, Sacto Kings, and A's, too. I can tolerate the Sharks, Giants, and Rams.
Old 08-06-20, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I was avoiding this thread because it makes me question my sanity, but if you think you don't like a rival team try moving to that team's city for a couple decades. The near constant and unsubstantiated homerism for an entity you loathe makes your ears bleed. Over that time I have found a level of contempt for the Minnesota Vikings that I had no idea could exist without permanent damage to the psyche.

As far as the Goofers college team the kindest thing I can say a about them is: mostly harmless.

I lived near Seattle for years but always had a fondness for the Seahawks...at least until the Pete Carroll regime.

PS: Kinda-sorta kidding about how much I hate the Vikings. It is actually a fairly good-natured for a heated rivalry. Probably the meanest thing I would say to a Vikings fan is that to a Packers fan it is not really a rivalry. But on the other hand, if I ever move to Chicago...
Old 08-07-20, 07:00 AM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

I live in Columbus Ohio (have I ever mentioned that before? ) I'm completely indifferent to American football, but the fact you simply cannot get away from tOSU football, and, since I live close enough to campus that home games affect my life anyway, makes me kinda hate the team.

I'm also pretty indifferent to the Blue Jackets although most of my friends are huge fans. I'll attend a few matches a year but otherwise don't follow them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.