Reload this Page >

Is Golf Losing Its Popularity Yearly?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-02-20, 08:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings!

In childhood, I had a dream to play golf but didn't get this chance due to different reasons. However, now, I want my daughter to be a part of this great sports but I am silently watching that the interest of people is declining in this particular sports. Few people think it is expensive due to membership costs and consider it sports of rich people. Do you think the same? Secondly, various news articles also refer each year that golf is losing its charm. To stop the trend of decline in golf membership UK golf organizations are thinking to reduce the membership costs Golf faces an important year to stop declining memberships | The Golf Business but I don't think it is the solution.

Probably, they need to modernize the game with improved access as well. When I talked with various people they also mentioned climate changes and other uncertain things a reason for the decline of golf in Europe https://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2...-golf-courses/. In my opinion, golf courses should try to engage the youth via more media coverage and fewer fees otherwise, golf will become history.

Secondly, as I am doing golf stuff shopping for my daughter so I also need to know a budget-friendly and good quality hybrid golf club for high handicappers. I found some good suggestions here https://golf-hook.com/reviews/best-h...-handicappers/ but I am not sure either they would be enough good for fast-growing teens or not. I am going with hybrid golf clubs because according to her coach hybrid ones are easy to hit by beginners. I shortlisted the Cobra Golf and Callaway Rogue. However, I don't want to invest more than $250. Please give me suggestions according to my budget.

Old 03-02-20, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Is Golf Losing Its Popularity Yearly?

The main thing that has hurt golf over the past decade is easy to ID....Tiger. He broke down the borders of the sport; without him, it doesn't draw the same size audience regardless of how good everyone else is.

For what it's worth, I still look forward to Master's weekend more than any other sporting event.
The following users liked this post:
MeridithHartt (03-02-20)
Old 03-02-20, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

It's a niche sport and always has been.
Old 03-02-20, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
The main thing that has hurt golf over the past decade is easy to ID....Tiger. He broke down the borders of the sport; without him, it doesn't draw the same size audience regardless of how good everyone else is.

For what it's worth, I still look forward to Master's weekend more than any other sporting event.
But maybe fewer media coverage and commercial interest making it unpopular especially among youngsters. It should be modernized.
Old 03-02-20, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MeridithHartt View Post
But maybe fewer media coverage and commercial interest making it unpopular especially among youngsters. It should be modernized.
I disagree. The game of golf is sacred to most who follow it. Nothing should be changed if the goal is to make it more commercially viable. Another phenom like Tiger will get the masses back watching; there just hasn't been another once since him.
Old 03-02-20, 03:04 PM

Tiger Woods did a lot to make it alive but I think we need to engage more people as golf courses membership is declining or maybe people only want to watch golf tournaments, masters etc as compared to playing golf? Do you play golf regularly?
Old 03-02-20, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to play quite a bit, but did not play at all last year for the first time in a long time...

It's expensive where I live and it takes a lot of time.

Maybe when I retire in 10-15 years I will have more time to enjoy, but I don't play much right now....
Old 03-02-20, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
I used to play quite a bit, but did not play at all last year for the first time in a long time...

It's expensive where I live and it takes a lot of time.

Maybe when I retire in 10-15 years I will have more time to enjoy, but I don't play much right now....
I also agree it is expensive in somehow. Maybe it is also a reason people are not playing frequently.
Old 03-02-20, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I've seen tennis more or less die out as a youth sport over the past thirty years in America. Tennis and golf share a lot of similarities as sports in terms of their audiences and participation. Western marketing of professional sports today almost all revolve around minority athletes, which hurts sports like golf and tennis. That is why Tiger was so important for golf when he was on top.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 03-03-20 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-02-20, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Anybody stay home on a weekend just to watch a golf tournament on CBS or NBC?

It still must be popular with the older folk and for people to play while discussing business.
Old 03-02-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Golf was never popular. It gained a slight following with Tiger but was never truly mainstream. It will always be a sports that is played and loved but has little to no business being on TV.
Old 03-02-20, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 14 year-old son loves golf and plays most weekends except in the summer. Between late last November and early this January, he either played or practiced all but maybe 3 out of 40 days.
The following users liked this post:
MeridithHartt (03-03-20)
Old 03-02-20, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I've seen tennis more or less die out as a youth sport over the pasty thirty years in America. Tennis and golf share a lot of similarities as sports in terms of their audiences and participation. Western marketing of professional sports today almost all revolve around minority athletes, which hurts sports like golf and tennis. That is why Tiger was so important for golf when he was on top.
Tennis despite all it's problems has done better at getting non white athlete's involved at the youth level .Since The Williams Sister became stars in the late 90's you have seen many african american,latina and asian females breakthrough on the wta tour. Meanwhile Tigers popularity hasn't translated into future generations of AA golfers
Old 03-03-20, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by beavis69 View Post
Golf was never popular. It gained a slight following with Tiger but was never truly mainstream. It will always be a sports that is played and loved but has little to no business being on TV.

There is always a tournament that gets weekend coverage on one of the big four 3 letter networks and Jim Nantz covers most of those on CBS so it must be a big deal.
Old 03-06-20, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I enjoyed playing well into my 20s and was actually pretty good. But once we started having kids I could not justify spending anywhere near the time and money it took to stay at that level, and I couldn't stand watching my game deteriorate...so I quit. Then I found out I did not miss it in the least and haven't played a round in several decades.

As for viewing I will watch maybe the back 9 of the Masters if it looks competitive. That's about it.
Old 03-09-20, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The PGA just signed a new massive TV deal

The PGA Tour has inked a sprawling new rights deal that will cement golf’s broadcast future for the next decade. Everyone’s going to benefit, but who’s going to benefit the most? And with all due respect to important folks like sponsors, rights holders and the Tour itself … how’s this going to impact fans? Let’s dig in.

First, the basics. The new deal kicks in starting in 2022, and includes a reaffirmation of existing agreements with CBS and NBC, along with a new agreement with ESPN. The new deal lines up with an agreement signed in 2018 for international digital rights to the Tour through 2030. (Note: the PGA Tour does not control the broadcast agreements for the majors. The Masters, U.S. Open et. al. will proceed at their own pace.)

Right, but what does that all mean? For the regular season, CBS and NBC will control the events, with CBS averaging 19 tournaments and NBC eight over the course of the year. The two networks will trade off broadcast rights for the FedEx playoffs and Tour Championship, with NBC broadcasting five playoffs and CBS four over the life of the deal. Golf Channel will continue as the cable broadcaster of the early portions of tournaments.

The most significant new addition is the ESPN component—specifically, the fact that the Tour’s “PGA Tour Live” streaming service will move over to ESPN+, ESPN’s own subscription streaming service. Per the Tour, ESPN+ will air 4,000 hours of golf annually, plus original programming and “speed rounds,” quick views of tournament days.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-pga...131129309.html
Old 03-09-20, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Tennis despite all it's problems has done better at getting non white athlete's involved at the youth level .Since The Williams Sister became stars in the late 90's you have seen many african american,latina and asian females breakthrough on the wta tour. Meanwhile Tigers popularity hasn't translated into future generations of AA golfers
While that is true, the Williams sisters are a product of Richard Williams. Generally speaking, the US's elite player development program(s) have been left in the dust. American kids need American champions to emulate and it's pretty much been crickets for decades.
Old 03-09-20, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I grew up playing golf with my Dad (we lived across the street from a golf course) but lost interest in my 20s. And I certainly wouldn't bother watching it on TV. I'd rather spend the afternoon masturbating.
Old 03-09-20, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
The PGA just signed a new massive TV deal

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-pga...131129309.html
Live sports is the last content on television standing that resists the streaming/DVR model. People still want to watch sports live, unlike virtually everything else.
Old 03-09-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

In one of the former ToysRUs locations near my work, they recently opened a new golf supply store. This despite one of the golf courses in the area being shut down and houses put up.

Somebody is still playing. I caddied for my dad and had a few lessons as a kid, but it just never clicked with me. And I have concerns with the ecological impact of all the work required to keep the fairways and greens in that picture perfect condition.

If you want to make the game interesting, stop the high level maintenance, let the grounds get a little wild and then see how well the pros can handle some really roughage.
Old 06-29-20, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NBC now has the rights to the U.S. Open

Golf on FOX

Fox has sold NBC Sports media rights to the United States Golf Association, including the U.S. Open with years of the deal left running through 2027.

NBC owns the Golf Channel and has rights to the PGA Tour.

The Wall Street Journal, which first reported the story, said Comcast’s NBC Universal is paying significantly less than what Fox had been paying for its deal that started in 2015 as it bulked up on content for its new national sports cable channel Fox Sports 1. NBC and Disney’s ESPN had previousy shared the rights until Fox outbid them with a $1.1 billion pact that put the annual price at $93 million. Now it’s back on NBC. The WSJ said NBC’s new deal is only slightly more than the $37 million it and ESPN were paying six years ago, citing people close to the talks.

Addin the USGA championships gives NBC properties rights to the U.S. Open, Open Championship, Players Championship and Ryder Cup and partnerships with the PGA Tour, European Tour, LPGA, PGA Tour Champions, Korn Ferry Tour and NCAA.
https://deadline.com/2020/06/fox-ssp...ts-1202972535/
Old 06-29-20, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched it a lot during the early Tiger domination days. I enjoyed watching him and Phil. Now that Lefty is a shell of his former self and Tiger plays so infrequently I rarely tune in. If the leaderboard looks interesting on a Sunday I might watch a little. Golf needs another Tiger to build it back up. The second comings, Rory, Spieth, etc. were mere flash in the pans.
Old 07-02-20, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 91 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Live sports is the last content on television standing that resists the streaming/DVR model. People still want to watch sports live, unlike virtually everything else.
Live sports are great for the networks because viewers have to watch the advertisements. Televised golf viewership is small, but it has a demographic that skews wealthy. The rights to broadcasting golf are valuable because live golf forces rich people to watch the advertisements.
Old 07-02-20, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
NBC now has the rights to the U.S. Open

Golf on FOX
Praise be. Nothing worse than turning on to watch a Golf Major only to hear Joe Fucking Buck announce it.
Old 07-02-20, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a 1%'er sport. Not just the cost of it but I'm always shocked to find just how many people can decide to take off entire afternoons to play regularly. Who outside of management can do that?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.