Kobe Bryant dead at 41

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Kobe Bryant dead at 41

Old 02-01-20, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Kobe Bryant dead at 41

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
And I was thinking : Someone must have already proposed this but I haven't heard anything yet. The best way for the NBA to immortalize Kobe is to name the Regular Season MVP Award after him. Yes, he only won one of them, but there is no player in any sport more synonymous with the chant of "M.V.P.!" than Kobe, so why not make them forever linked?

And in case anyone missed it, For the All-Star Game, Team LeBron will be all #2 for Gianna and Team Giannis will all be #24 for Kobe (though phonetically it would have made more sense the other way around).
After such an amazing twenty year career that included winning five NBA Championships, 2X Olympic Gold medal winner, 18 time NBA All Star, 2X NBA Finals MVP, 4X NBA All Star MVP, and a host of other awards, it's crazy to think he only one the MVP Award only once. Like someone already said, Kobe was like the middle child of a family. He had big brother MJ, then Kobe and little brother LeBron. I think being the bridge between MJ and LBJ, he kind of got the short end of the stick when it came to being named MVP of the league.
Old 02-01-20, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I think being the bridge between MJ and LBJ, he kind of got the short end of the stick when it came to being named MVP of the league.
That wasnít it, at least at the front end of carrier (the ď8Ē years). He was never going to win an MVP while Shaq was on the team as he was always considered a ď1AĒ player next to him by the mainstream sports writers (much like Westbrook alongside Durant). Unfortunately some of peak years were on teams that werenít very good and while he was probably the best player in the league 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 the voters turned on this narrative that the award should be for team success and inexplicably gave the Award to Steve Nash twice. Thatís when the MVP chant really caught on - he was the best player in the league and his fans wanted him recognized. Once the Lakers got Pau, they were winning again and he finally won one. After that yeah LeBron became a force and started winning it then.
Old 02-01-20, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,044 Likes on 811 Posts

I was thinking they would name the All Star MVP after him, not only because he won it 4x (tied the record) but because the timing is pretty much going to be right next to the anniversary of his passing.

Plus one of the most memorable All Star moments of the past few years is him taking it up a notch against Lebron in the 4th.
Old 02-01-20, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
The only thing is, in this situation, it was VIP status (imo) that allowed them to fly in those conditions and/or being able to have your own private pilot who knows how to bend the rules in order to get from place to another more quickly.

Normal people...like you and myself...could not override a no-fly advisory unless we had a damn good reason (other than being DVD Talk members).

From just reading a few articles so far, and looking at images of the weather at that time...there's no way in hell I'd be flying on a chopper...let alone with my daughter and other kids. Maybe they've done it several times, I don't know. But fog is not complementing to flying aircraft. It will fuck the minds of the most experienced pilots--if you're a truly experienced pilot...you'll be sitting in the hanger sipping coffee until the weather gets better.

Kobe's helicopter was traveling at around 300MPH. That is hella-fast for a chopper to be moving in those conditions.
Staying out of the Kobe love/anger ... But that is what has struck me as the oddest, most screwed up thing. I assumed it was one of those “I’m a VIP, I’m going to fly anyway” things ... but the speed at which the pilot was traveling in those conditions was absolutely absurd.

Some other (possibly unrelated) add ons ...

The helicopter was apparently purchased from the State of Illinois government. It was sold in a surplus sale. (Don’t take that as any comment on the condition of the helicopter. Just an odd fact that is being talked about around here.)

The next day, three local people died in a plane crash not too far from my house. It was a former and city alderman/interim-mayor, his wife (our county coroner), and a family friend. (And their dog.) Again, weather conditions are being cited in addition to potential mechanical issues. Speculation is he actually put it down in a field behind a residential area fine, but they hit a garage after getting on the ground. To me, the “suck” part was they flew all the way from Alabama and were just miles from the local airport. Story is they had circled a time or two waiting/attempting (?) to land.
Old 02-01-20, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,223 Posts

So apparently people are selling the Kobe T-Shirts that were given away at last night's game. Some are selling it as high as $2,400.

But, some listings have been pulled because EBay does not sanction profiting off someone's death. The reaction about this is mixed. Some say it's scummy and others said, if you paid hundreds, if not maybe a $1,000 for your ticket and the shirt is yours, you should be able to do what you want with it since tickets to go that game are already so freaking expensive.
Old 02-01-20, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

^ Yea, that's stupid. It's their shirt - they should be able to sell it regardless of what it represented.
Old 02-01-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

I have no feelings specific to Kobe since I never saw a single second of his career (I don't think I've ever heard his voice) and I'd say sell 'em if you got 'em. It's not like they are selling his ashes. If people are dumb enough to pay $2400 for a souvenir t-shirt that will be worth $24 in a year that's on them.
Old 02-01-20, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 824 Likes on 565 Posts

If ebay is going to do that then they have to pull all listings with Kobe's image from the site then. They have to take every shoe, trading card, magazine, jersey, etc, from the site. Cherry picking what can be sold about Kobe is bullshit.
Old 02-01-20, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 300 Likes on 210 Posts

Sure looks like there are a lot for sale on eBay to me.

Old 02-02-20, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Man, considering the times we're living in with the #metoo climate being what it is, I'm pretty shocked across the board how much of a pass Kobe is getting. Especially from famous people.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (02-02-20)
Old 02-02-20, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He died with his daughter and seven other people. Do you want people to piss on his grave?
Goonies85 (02-02-20)
Old 02-02-20, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Man, considering the times we're living in with the #metoo climate being what it is, I'm pretty shocked across the board how much of a pass Kobe is getting. Especially from famous people.
I would imagine itís because he never raped anyone.
Goonies85 (02-02-20)
Old 02-02-20, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I don’t want to be rude or tear your head off, so I’ll be as polite as possible.

First and foremost, a father of 4 killed with 1 of his kids along with 7 others is a fucking tragedy no matter what anyone thinks.

Kobe Bryant was a huge professional sports star in Los Angeles. He helped the Lakers win 5 championships. And him dying about 4 years after retirement is also a tragedy. Most professional athletes who retire just disappear and become irrelevant. But Kobe was writing books and making movies and had many things planned ahead that will now go unrealized.

Professional sports, especially the Lakers, is a huge part of the culture of Southern California and Los Angeles. If you don’t follow sports and don’t live here in LA, it’s just something you’ll probably won’t understand. He was loved by many in this city. Also, the NBA has become such a global sport, that his name is big around the world. And another important thing to note is that he played 20 years in the NBA and all with the Lakers. Loyalty to one team your entire career is a rarity in sports nowadays and also playing that long is also a rarity.

That’s really all I can add as of right now.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
sinned (02-03-20), Sonny Corinthos (02-02-20)
Old 02-02-20, 08:27 AM
Suspended

Received 262 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
When they scream "No!" it really means "Yes!".
Old 02-02-20, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Guys please, this thread is not the time or place to rehash the mistakes people have made during their lifetime. The link below would be the place to do it.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...iscussion.html

Old 02-03-20, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
When they scream "No!" it really means "Yes!".
Oh because you were there. Right. Iím sorry.
Goonies85 (02-03-20)
Old 02-03-20, 06:36 AM
Suspended

Received 262 Likes on 162 Posts

Oh because you were there. Right. Iím sorry.
Are you calling Kobe a liar? We shouldn't speak ill of the dead in the thread.
Old 02-03-20, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts

I wish that were true. By his own words, he admitted that she did not consent.
Old 02-03-20, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 403 Likes on 293 Posts

Not to be insensitive but how much longer before I can watch an NBA game without it being a Kobe love fest? After the all-star break?
Old 02-03-20, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,044 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Not to be insensitive but how much longer before I can watch an NBA game without it being a Kobe love fest? After the all-star break?
If you're watching Lakers games, I honestly don't think you can avoid it until the season is done. I'm sure the season is basically dedicated to him at this point.
Old 02-03-20, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
If you're watching Lakers games, I honestly don't think you can avoid it until the season is done. I'm sure the season is basically dedicated to him at this point.
I'm not; only Celtics games. I can avoid it if I only watch our local channel coverage but if I want to watch The Jump or any other pregame show, that's all I see. Same goes for national games.
Old 02-03-20, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I'm not; only Celtics games. I can avoid it if I only watch our local channel coverage but if I want to watch The Jump or any other pregame show, that's all I see. Same goes for national games.
He was a polarizing figure for the NBA and basketball. His jersey was the second most sold behind MJ. He had international appeal and his work ethic crossed over to many sports as far as a winning attitude and mentality. His (and Gi Gi's) legacy is gonna be a hard one to die down until after the public memorial.
Old 02-03-20, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
He was a polarizing figure for the NBA and basketball. His jersey was the second most sold behind MJ. He had international appeal and his work ethic crossed over to many sports as far as a winning attitude and mentality. His (and Gi Gi's) legacy is gonna be a hard one to die down until after the public memorial.
I'm fine with fans and LA specific programming sticking with it. I just think it's time for the national broadcasts to get back to the season at hand and move on. I'll most likely skip the All Star events this year because I expect every single one to be a tribute in some way.
LurkerDan (02-03-20)
Old 02-03-20, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 248 Posts

It comes out this week

Old 02-24-20, 11:41 AM

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Per TMZ
Vanessa Bryant has just sued the company that owned the doomed helicopter that crashed, killing Kobe, Gigi and 7 others ... claiming the aircraft should never have been placed in the peril it was in before the accident.

The lawsuit alleges Island Express was only allowed to fly under visual flight rules, and the conditions the day of the crash were not conducive for such flying. As we reported, the fog was extremely low and the pilot was in blinding conditions before the mishap.

The lawsuit also says the pilot was going 180 miles per hour in the heavy fog in a steep decline.

The lawsuit claims the pilot failed to properly monitor and assess the weather prior to takeoff, failed to obtain proper weather data prior to the flight, failed to abort the flight when he knew of the cloudy condition, failed to maintain control of the helicopter and failed to avoid "natural obstacles" in the flight path.

The suit says Island Express engaged in unnecessary and needlessly risky means of transportation under the circumstances.

The suit also asks for damages for "pre-impact" terror -- damages for the emotional trauma Kobe and Gigi suffered as the pilot struggled to get out of the clouds before the crash.

The lawsuit also says the pilot, Ara George Zobayan, was disciplined in 2015 for violating the visual flight rule minimums by flying into an airspace of reduced visibility.

The lawsuit also claims the helicopter was not safe, although it doesn't say what was unsafe. It could be the basis for the claim is that the helicopter was not certified to fly in bad weather.

The lawsuit does not list an amount of damages sought, but Vanessa is asking for punitive damages, claiming the pilot and Island Express were reckless, and the damages could be untold millions.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.