Reload this Page >

The 2020 Pro Wrestling Thread!

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-01-20, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a new year, a new decade, and Pro Wrestling has entered a new golden age!

Beyond WWE we've got (thankfully) AEW, NWA, Impact, ROH, and New Japan, among others. This is a great time to be a Pro Wrestling fan!
Old 01-01-20, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The 2020 Pro Wrestling Thread!

And first up is the latest episode of NWA Powerrr! (January 1st, 1 PM EST on YouTube - special time and date! And, of course, on demand in perpetuity after that...)

To get you warmed up for that, here's a taste of the Eli Drake/Ken Anderson feud...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SbNV3i02pbo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"He's going full Donkey Kong on him!"
Old 01-01-20, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aside from a mediocre match between Marti Belle and Tasha Steelz this is another excellent episode. Trevor Murdoch is quickly becoming a fan favorite, and with good reason...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qj5Be-tjNgs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-01-20, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Next up, AEW...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by B5Erik; 01-01-20 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-01-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will likely be the first year I donít watch Wrestlemania live or within a day or so since #13 or 14. Doubt Iíll even get the rumble. Went live last year to the rumble as a bucket list item and had a pretty good time and a nice swan song to something Iíve enjoyed most of my life.

Is there a affordable, legal way to watch dynamite yet? Have no interest in a package of Hulu live channels.
Old 01-02-20, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like Aldis as a full blown heel, but don't like that he can change the TV Title tourney and have Isaacs wrestle in his place and it still be a qualifier match. Unless they're never going to put him and Storm in a match ever again, they could have had the rest of Strictly Business interfere and Storm win by DQ.

Still not sure what Anderson is.. a heel or a face. Hopefully, it comes full circle with the heat between Colt and Drake and Anderson down the line.
Old 01-03-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post

Still not sure what Anderson is.. a heel or a face. Hopefully, it comes full circle with the heat between Colt and Drake and Anderson down the line.
Still confuses me as well. I could've sworn Drake turned on Anderson several weeks ago but I was watching the latest episode and it still seems like Drake is a face. Maybe I missed something in the past month?
Old 01-03-20, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Still confuses me as well. I could've sworn Drake turned on Anderson several weeks ago but I was watching the latest episode and it still seems like Drake is a face. Maybe I missed something in the past month?
They seemed to be toying with the idea of Eli turning heel, as he clocked Mr. Anderson in the back of the head with a turnbuckle and did a semi-heel promo, but then had Anderson attack him in return and do a semi-heel turn himself (he was portrayed as having snapped and flown into a rage as the result of the attack from behind).

Instead of Eli turning heel, they had Nick Aldis turn heel and create a heel faction, and that worked brilliantly.

I think Eli is a lot like Sting in that he's so over and the fans love him so much that a heel turn wouldn't work for him.
Old 01-03-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
They seemed to be toying with the idea of Eli turning heel, as he clocked Mr. Anderson in the back of the head with a turnbuckle and did a semi-heel promo, but then had Anderson attack him in return and do a semi-heel turn himself (he was portrayed as having snapped and flown into a rage as the result of the attack from behind).

Instead of Eli turning heel, they had Nick Aldis turn heel and create a heel faction, and that worked brilliantly.

I think Eli is a lot like Sting in that he's so over and the fans love him so much that a heel turn wouldn't work for him.
I think the thing is that no matter what, Anderson still acts like a heel. I'd prefer Drake to remain a face and that the whole thing with Cabana is they end up eventually teaming up and dumping Anderson for the heel he really is. Plus, they don't really have any face tag teams other than over the hill Rock n Roll Express.
Old 01-03-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I think the thing is that no matter what, Anderson still acts like a heel. I'd prefer Drake to remain a face and that the whole thing with Cabana is they end up eventually teaming up and dumping Anderson for the heel he really is. Plus, they don't really have any face tag teams other than over the hill Rock n Roll Express.
I think Eli continues his thing (face with an attitude), and I hope they give him the Ten Pounds of Gold.

Ken Anderson makes a good face with attitude, too, and I'd love to see him and Cabana get a run with the tag team belts.
Old 01-03-20, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

He's back!
Old 01-04-20, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 01-04-20, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember this like it was yesterday.
Old 01-05-20, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, here's a general question about something that's been growing in the business, and that's intergender matches.

Tessa Blanchard and Jordynne Grace have been doing it and embracing it, as have some others, but is it a good thing?

While I find the matches entertaining to a point, I do feel uncomfortable with the idea of a 230-240 pound man hitting, piledriving, and suplexing a 140-150 pound woman in the ring. Secondarily, 98% of the men in this business would totally dominate matches with women if they were shoots, so not only is it disturbing (potentially desensitizing some men to physical violence against women), but it's not particularly realistic.

Is this a trend that's good for the business, or is it a bad thing? I really am not sure, but I do feel a little uncomfortable with the idea.
Old 01-05-20, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Not a fan unless itís a mixed tag match or something where it might be a small portion of a match. To me it kills some credibility on both ends.
Old 01-05-20, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
. Secondarily, 98% of the men in this business would totally dominate matches with women if they were shoots, so not only is it disturbing (potentially desensitizing some men to physical violence against women), but it's not particularly realistic.

Is this a trend that's good for the business, or is it a bad thing? I really am not sure, but I do feel a little uncomfortable with the idea.
I am of 2 minds. I don't believe their should be intergender matches because it would be troublesome for younger viewers to see men punching women. On the flipside I am not sure why Tessa going 50/50 with a man who would destroy her in a shoot fight is any different and less unrealistic then say 230-240 pounds guy's having competitive matches with Braun,Brock,Big Show etc when someone like Seth or The Miz should lose in a 15 second squash to Brock if that was a shoot.
Old 01-06-20, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rather they limit the inter-gender stuff mainly because I don't like the idea of showing young boys that it's acceptable to hit women. But as far as suspending my disbelief of a woman beating a man, that's not really a concern for me. It's pro wrestling, after all.
Old 01-06-20, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know Big Show is 47 now and is close to retirement but why did he come back out of shape after being out for so long? I mean, he was in great shape 2 years ago and barely wrestled and now he shows looking like Paul Wight circa 2008, but much slower.
Old 01-07-20, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't see the same things you saw. He may be higher than the 385 he cut down to, but not by much. The gut is still gone. He's nowhere near the 500+ lbs he was at his heaviest. Even if he was at the exact same weight as he was when he debuted in WCW, he would still look bigger. Thats just having the body of a 47 year old man. A 7 foot tall one at that. If I were to guess I'd say he's still 400 lbs or under.
Old 01-07-20, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I though the Big Show was done in the ring. I had no idea we was coming back.
Old 01-07-20, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He is probably just an attractions that shows up every once in a while. They always seem to get a giant or two for the Royal Rumble so might as well get the Big Show. I didn't think he looked too bad, he is nearly 50 and a giant, has been wrestling for 25 years at this point.
Old 01-07-20, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Not a fan unless itís a mixed tag match or something where it might be a small portion of a match. To me it kills some credibility on both ends.
I hate those mixed tag matches because it makes no sense to have to tag your partner if the other team tags theirs. Just ruins the flow of the match, and like half the draw of tag matches to me are the double teams and strategy.

That said, I'm not a big fan of inter gender matches... it's really only useful for building up the woman short term (like Chyna). If the guy wins, he doesn't gain anything, if he loses, he's buried. And for the woman, they're not going to go through the entire male roster so it's a dead end.

Of course, I'm not a fan of a lot of wrestling staples: I don't like extreme rules matches with staples and tacks and that kind of stuff either, for instance.
Old 01-07-20, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 01-07-20, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

7 years to late for Good Humor to join the bandwagon. Seriously, how stupid where they to not do this when CM Punk put them back on the map?
Old 01-07-20, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it seems that they are keeping Anderson in this heel-ish mode of his. I thought it was weird to have two kind of face tag teams in Cabana/Anderson v Storm/Drake face off. I'm unsure what the Dawson's are and NWA still lack any true good guy tag teams. I was not a fan of putting two singles wrestlers together just to form a team.

And now they bring in the 'roid freak? Hmm.. I did like the match between Aldis v Starks, but saw the draw coming. The Girl Powerrr doesn't hold my interest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.