The 2020 Pro Wrestling Thread!

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2020 Pro Wrestling Thread!

Old 02-13-20, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The 2020 Pro Wrestling Thread!

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
According to the rumor mill, the next inductees to the WWE Hall of Fame will be.... Jushin Thunder Liger and.... the Bella Twins. Liger is a shoe in, but the Bella Twins? Now? There are so many other female wrestlers more deserving than the Bella Twins, like Molly Holly, Victoria, Elizabeth, Stacy Keibler, Francine, Mickey James, Rockin Robin, Bull Nakano, Layla, Eve Torres. Yes, both Bellas are deserving, but not now. The crowd could easily ruin the night for everyone. Just look at the Twitter reaction to get a glimpse of what might happen that night.
Layla and Eve Torres, lol. You must have just run out of names.
Old 02-13-20, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Did Liger ever actually work for WWF/E or is this one of those inductions where theyíre recognizing an important person to the industry? I feel like he didnít ever work in WWF/E. I know he worked with WCW a bit when they had the relationship with NJPW.
Old 02-13-20, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember seeing him in a televised WWE house show a few years ago.
Old 02-13-20, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He worked NXT.
Old 02-13-20, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

So AEW has their first transgender champion. Honestly not sure how I feel about it, though it's not a real sporting competition so I guess it doesn't matter all that much.
Old 02-13-20, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iíd prefer someone who actually looks competitive be the champion versus a featherweight like fucking Riho. Glad the belt is off her.
Old 02-13-20, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Layla and Eve Torres, lol. You must have just run out of names.
Eve Torres was a 3 times Womens/Divas champion, won the Diva Search, was in a top program with John Cena, Kane and Zach Ryder and has been a WWE ambassador since she left in-ring competition behind to start a family. She's also a purple belt in jiu-jitsu from the Gracie academy and has a women's self defense program. She's more qualified to be a HOF than Torrie Wilson was. Layla had a 10 year career where she won the Diva Search, was 2 times Womens/Divas champ, was in the top women's program with Michelle McCool. Both of them have the pedigree to be inducted in the HOF.

Old 02-13-20, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I very rarely agree with you but I will say Torrie Wilson was awful. No way she should have gotten in. Maybe Eve Torres will get in and maybe Layla will too but sorry this shouldnít be. They canít just induct everyone.
Old 02-13-20, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Torrie felt like she was there to tick the box of a woman being inducted last year. I donít mean that as a knock against her and donít mind the fact that sheís in the Hall of Fame, but definitely not one of the great women wrestlers or anything.
Old 02-14-20, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There are so many other female wrestlers more deserving than the Bella Twins, like Molly Holly, Victoria, Elizabeth, Stacy Keibler, Francine, Mickey James, Rockin Robin, Bull Nakano, Layla, Eve Torres. Yes, both Bellas are deserving, but not now. The crowd could easily ruin the night for everyone. Just look at the Twitter reaction to get a glimpse of what might happen that night.
Lia Maivia, Baby Doll, Missy Hyatt, Velvet McIntyre. the list goes on.

Also, even though she didn't care about the business and had no talent as a wrestler, Sable deserves to be in there, just on popularity alone.

Last edited by Hazel Motes; 02-14-20 at 05:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (02-14-20)
Old 02-14-20, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's plenty of talent in that HoF who were awful wrestlers but made an impact on the product. So yeah, Torrie deserves to be in there. Same with Sable.
Old 02-14-20, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
So AEW has their first transgender champion. Honestly not sure how I feel about it, though it's not a real sporting competition so I guess it doesn't matter all that much.
Well that belt had to come off Riho. She's great but she's got way too many commitments overseas and literally couldn't cut a promo. But yeah, I feel bad for their women's locker room. At the end of the day Nyla might identify as a female but she has the bone structure and muscle build of a male. She'll hurt someone eventually.
Old 02-14-20, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post

Also, even though she didn't care about the business and had no talent as a wrestler, Sable deserves to be in there, just on popularity alone.
I think if Lia gets in it will be in legacy wing although WWE loves to show off any sort of inclusiveness plus she is is Rocks grandmother or whatnot so she may have a chance. The others no way. Baby Doll is pretty much forgotten at this point and I really think she didnít accomplish much. WWE fears Missy Hyatt and her mouth so no shot.
Old 02-14-20, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Well that belt had to come off Riho. She's great but she's got way too many commitments overseas and literally couldn't cut a promo. But yeah, I feel bad for their women's locker room. At the end of the day Nyla might identify as a female but she has the bone structure and muscle build of a male. She'll hurt someone eventually.
I agree that the belt had to come off Rio. I'm sure they were planning on an Awesome Kong run before her illness/injury and the whole Nightmare Collective thing falling apart surely derailed any other plans for Statlander. Shida wasn't going to take the title from a babyface, and despite her recent turn I don't really see Baker running with it yet.
Old 02-14-20, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Torrie felt like she was there to tick the box of a woman being inducted last year. I donít mean that as a knock against her and donít mind the fact that sheís in the Hall of Fame, but definitely not one of the great women wrestlers or anything.
Torrie was still more over in A WWE ring then a ton of guys already in the Hall (and more famous) despite not being much of a worker
Old 02-15-20, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think if Lia gets in it will be in legacy wing although WWE loves to show off any sort of inclusiveness plus she is is Rocks grandmother or whatnot so she may have a chance. The others no way. Baby Doll is pretty much forgotten at this point and I really think she didnít accomplish much. WWE fears Missy Hyatt and her mouth so no shot.

I wasn't commenting on the possibility or likelihood of them happening, just listing people who I think are more deserving than the Bellas. Also,If it mean't the Rock inducting her or even accepting with his Mom on his Grandmothers behalf, I think WWE would do it in a heartbeat. They'd do anything to have the Rock appear on their product.
Old 02-15-20, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Did Liger ever actually work for WWF/E or is this one of those inductions where theyíre recognizing an important person to the industry? I feel like he didnít ever work in WWF/E. I know he worked with WCW a bit when they had the relationship with NJPW.

The man is a legend. I was very happy to see him in person wrestle at the NJPW Super J Cup show in Long Beach, CA last summer before his retirement.

He inovated the shooting star press. Put him in the HOF just for that.
Old 02-15-20, 07:51 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I wonder if they'll play clips from this at the HOF ceremony:

Check out all the talent in this nonsense. Liger, Ciampa, Riddle, Cedric, Aleister, Kendrick, Dunne.
Old 02-15-20, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
https://youtu.be/hC4wzpVlfe8

The man is a legend. I was very happy to see him in person wrestle at the NJPW Super J Cup show in Long Beach, CA last summer before his retirement.

It's funny, but every time I saw him wrestle in WCW it was clear that he was phenomenal. I could never understand why WCW wouldn't give him a huge push and put a belt on him. I know he wanted to continue to wrestle in Japan, but there had to be a way to give him a strong run in WCW. He could have split his time between Japan and the U.S. so it could have worked.

And the fans loved him.
Old 02-15-20, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
https://youtu.be/hC4wzpVlfe8

No doubt. I just didnít know he ever was in WWE.
Old 02-15-20, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think he had one WWF match back in like 1990.
Old 02-15-20, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think he had one WWF match back in like 1990.
Liger never wrestled for WWE in the 90's unless your trying to count that AJPW/NJPW/WWF Supershow in 1990.

Liger should be in the WWF Hall of Fame just based on his amazing serious of matches with Brian Pillman for the WCW Light Heavyweight title in the 90's that revolutionized high flying wrestling in the US.
Old 02-16-20, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I very rarely agree with you but I will say Torrie Wilson was awful. No way she should have gotten in. Maybe Eve Torres will get in and maybe Layla will too but sorry this shouldnít be. They canít just induct everyone.
This is the WWE (Vince) Hall of Fame. As long as the person is in good terms with the company and Vince wants it, they'll go in. I don't mind Torrie being in the HOF, and I don't mind the Bellas being inducted down the road, but my point is that there are other more deserving ones that should go in first. To me, it was a disgrace that Luna went in as part of the Legacy wing, when she should have been inducted years ago with the other regulars. I imagine that Vince didn't want her near a mic due to her mental health deterioration as the years went by before her death.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post

Sable should be in. I still believe she was right all along, as well as Chyna in asking for more money from the company. Sable couldn't wrestle for shit but she definitely put asses in the seat and sold merchandise. She was a victim of sexism in the company. I imagine she will go in sooner or later, maybe when Brock is inducted.

As for Liger, he's similar to others like Abdullah the Butcher and Carlos Colon, who had phenomenal careers outside of WWE and they deserve to be inducted in the most popular HOF in the industry. Liger wrestled a lot on WCW too, so basically WWE should induct him based on that alone. I imagine Great Muta will get a similar induction in the future.
Old 02-16-20, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been watching clips here and there of the special Ruthless Aggression documentary that WWE is going to release and man it looks and sounds like Vince re-writing history once again. I mean, yes, the company created multiple stars during this era, like Cena, Orton, Batista, Brock, Kurt Angle and Edge (the latter too part of the Attitude Era) but the Ruthless Aggression era is known more for WWE going completely stale creatively and for the multiple botched angles that could have brought tons of money (Invasion angle, ECW return). Add to the fact that a big part of the era was the rise of Eddie and Benoit, and you have a documentary that is going to ignore all the bad that happen during that decade and embelish the story and Vince sees fit.
Old 02-17-20, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sable should be in. I still believe she was right all along, as well as Chyna in asking for more money from the company. Sable couldn't wrestle for shit but she definitely put asses in the seat and sold merchandise. She was a victim of sexism in the company. I imagine she will go in sooner or later, maybe when Brock is inducted.
Considering Brock Lesnar will finish his career making more money then any other wrestler in the companies history,would imagine the only reason Sable has never been inducted to the HOF is because she is happy away from the industry. Like if Brock Lesnar wasinstead married to someone far less notable then Sable and that person wanted to be inducted to the HOF,they would be.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.