DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   2019-2020 NCAA Men's Basketball Regular Season Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/649030-2019-2020-ncaa-mens-basketball-regular-season-thread.html)

kefrank 03-13-20 08:53 AM

Re: 2019-2020 NCAA Men's Basketball Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13703058)
That's a fair point about the shortage of tests - although all the NBA players got tested.

But you've got to understand that for schools like San Diego State and Dayton this opportunity may NEVER come again. SDSU is a VERY good basketball school, but they will likely never have a better team than this one, nor will they have as wide open a field as they had this year. They had a legitimate shot to win it all.

Dude, I'm from Dayton. I grew up in a northern suburb. I completely understand it.

Decker 03-13-20 09:06 AM

And you never addressed my biggest point : How would it look to shut down the NBA and NHL to protect the safety of their multimillion dollar players but send these unpaid kids from all over the country to play a Tournament in empty arenas for our viewing pleasure? And what if there was some COVID-19 exposure between those 68 teams and their staffs?
Once the NBA suspended the season, actually once Gobert tested positive, it was over for sports.

Deftones 03-13-20 10:06 AM

I am with Bobby Hurley. I know this would fuck some teams (auto-bids and such), but they should still just do the selection show Sunday, just so teams have some sense of accomplishment for the season.

B5Erik 03-13-20 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13703238)
And you never addressed my biggest point : How would it look to shut down the NBA and NHL to protect the safety of their multimillion dollar players but send these unpaid kids from all over the country to play a Tournament in empty arenas for our viewing pleasure? And what if there was some COVID-19 exposure between those 68 teams and their staffs?
Once the NBA suspended the season, actually once Gobert tested positive, it was over for sports.

I just find it odd that no one gives a shit about ordinary people who work in large office buildings (and are at great risk of infection by the hundreds if just one person comes to work infected and doesn't know it), but these athletes are shown much more concern (even though they are more isolated and far safer, even before any precautions).

There's a lot of hypocrisy there.

Sonny Corinthos 03-13-20 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13703278)
I just find it odd that no one gives a shit about ordinary people who work in large office buildings (and are at great risk of infection by the hundreds if just one person comes to work infected and doesn't know it), but these athletes are shown much more concern (even though they are more isolated and far safer, even before any precautions).

So you want the games to go ahead and be played? If fans, players, coaches, arena workers get sick, tough shit right? And if the virus spreads and kills thousands just because a few selfish fans want the games to be played, damn the consequences? I hate to tell you this, but if SDS couldn't win their own conference tournament, they had little to no chance of winning the NCAA Tournament.

Decker 03-13-20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13703278)

Those are two completely separate issues. The NCAA has a responsibility to protect their student athletes as best as they can. They don't have say over where you work.

B5Erik 03-13-20 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13702867)
Not saying you're wrong. But the optics of having unpaid college player go across the country to play games when the pros are staying at home for safety precautions are terrible.
Plus the logistics of rescheduling events at 13 different venues would be a nightmare.

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13703330)
So you want the games to go ahead and be played? If fans, players, coaches, arena workers get sick, tough shit right? And if the virus spreads and kills thousands just because a few selfish fans want the games to be played, damn the consequences? I hate to tell you this, but if SDS couldn't win their own conference tournament, they had little to no chance of winning the NCAA Tournament.

They beat Utah State twice, and barely lost the Tournament game at the last second. SDSU had the fewest losses in Div. 1.

But if they the NCAA did it right the risk would be significantly less than what you or I face just going to work.

It's a moot point now.

Look, I'm just really disappointed and frustrated, and if anyone can't understand that then that says a lot about you and your lack of empathy and compassion as a human being.

Decker 03-13-20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13703470)

Look, I'm just really disappointed and frustrated, and if anyone can't understand that then that says a lot about you and your lack of empathy and compassion as a human being.

Dude, you REALLY need to chill out. Not only did I understand and empathize with you, I said it (to you) before you even did :

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13702765)
We are up against the end of the school year. And all the students are being sent home. This seems like an over-reaction, I agree, but I don't know if they had any choice.

Heartbreaking for me, and for you too, I am sure.

So don't make it seem like nobody cares about you and your favorite team. And lots of other schools and fans are bummed out right now, including me and my favorite team. It's not fair at all. Doesn't make it the wrong call. There's only one right side to be on now and that's Kubler Ross Stage Five of Grief : Acceptance.

kefrank 03-13-20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13703470)

Perhaps that empathy and compassion as a human being could also be extended to those who know the thousands of people across the world who have already died from this rapidly-spreading virus. :shrug:

B5Erik 03-13-20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 13703521)
Perhaps that empathy and compassion as a human being could also be extended to those who know the thousands of people across the world who have already died from this rapidly-spreading virus. :shrug:

That has nothing to do with college basketball.

No basketball players have died, and it's likely that none will die. You and I are at greater risk.

kefrank 03-13-20 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13703559)

No basketball players have died, and it's likely that none will die. You and I are at greater risk.

It has everything to do with dramatic steps taken to limit the spread of the virus, including the cancellation of the NCAA tournament and other sporting events. Now is not the time to be obtuse.

Jeremy517 03-13-20 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13703559)

They can still spread it even if they're unlikely to die from it.

B5Erik 03-13-20 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13703495)
Dude, you REALLY need to chill out. Not only did I understand and empathize with you, I said it (to you) before you even did :

So don't make it seem like nobody cares about you and your favorite team. And lots of other schools and fans are bummed out right now, including me and my favorite team. It's not fair at all. Doesn't make it the wrong call. There's only one right side to be on now and that's Kubler Ross Stage Five of Grief : Acceptance.

You're probably right, but when people get obnoxious and say the Aztecs had no chance, anyway (which simply isn't true) that's pretty dismissive and insulting.

And there's just something about cancelling empty arena games and the attitude of some people that strikes me as caring more about athletes than ordinary people.

kefrank 03-13-20 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13703663)
You're probably right, but when people get obnoxious and say the Aztecs had no chance, anyway (which simply isn't true) that's pretty dismissive and insulting.

Agreed, that wasn't called for. The Aztecs had an excellent shot to at least make the final four and anyone who would say otherwise didn't watch them play this year.

And there's just something about cancelling empty arena games and the attitude of some people that strikes me as caring more about athletes than ordinary people.
I think it's important for all of us to understand that putting on the games, even without fans, requires a lot of "ordinary people" who are on the various team staffs, media teams (even if media is limited), production crews, etc that would be asked to travel all over the country and expose themselves to risk, not to mention family members and other people who would be in contact with all of those essential personnel. Cancelling these sporting events is about protecting the "ordinary people" as much as it is about protecting the athletes.

Decker 03-13-20 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 13703757)
Agreed, that wasn't called for. The Aztecs had an excellent shot to at least make the final four and anyone who would say otherwise didn't watch them play this year.

SDSU - Gonzaga in the Western Regional Final could have been the Game of the Tournament.

kefrank 03-13-20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13703766)
SDSU - Gonzaga in the Western Regional Final could have been the Game of the Tournament.

You have to feel bad for Gonzaga too. Given the team they had and the relative level of quality of the rest of the field, this is probably the best shot they've ever had at a championship.

Decker 03-13-20 06:39 PM

Okay, if we're going to have a pity party, let's have a moment of silence for my alma mater as well.

Kansas had two likely First Team All Americans in Devon Dobson and Udoke Azubuike AND also had likely National Defensive Player of the Year in Marcus Garrett. They were the unanimous choice for #1 in both the final AP and Coaches' Polls. They had three losses all season - to Top 20 teams only. They won the #2 Basketball conference per RPI, by two games. They were #1 for defensive efficiency for much of the season. They had the #1 player in FG percentage -- by 7 percentage points! Had the most difficult schedule in the country. This was the best team they've had since the Jaques Vaughn, Scott Pollard, Raef LaFrenz, Paul Pierce team that went 30-1 into the Tournament.
They were set to win it all this year.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...53a6d2c626.gif

beavis69 03-13-20 07:09 PM

This is the best thing to happen to SDSU, they can always lament the season that never was and never have to suffer the massive beating they would have inevitably taken haha.

kenbuzz 03-13-20 08:16 PM

Linky: https://www.sportsline.com/cbb/news/...the-winner-is/

SPORTSLINE SIMULATES FINAL 2020 BRACKETOLOGY FROM JERRY PALM: AND THE WINNER IS....
The SportsLine Projection Model simulated a hypothetical 2020 NCAA Tournament bracket, and the national champion may surprise people.
Mar 13, 10:47AM EDT

The NCAA Tournament began in 1939 and it had been played without fail ever year since, even through World War II. However, the coronavirus outbreak forced the cancelation of the 2020 Big Dance, along with the suspension of essentially every other major American sports league and even next month's Masters. So, while the NCAA will not crown an official champion in men's basketball for the 2019-20 campaign, the SportsLine Projection Model can.

The Model used a bracket from CBS Sports bracketology expert Jerry Palm to simulate every game in the NCAA Tournament. The top seeds were Kansas in the Midwest – the Jayhawks were expected to be the No. 1 overall seed and were betting favorites to cut down the nets April 6 in Atlanta before everything was shut down – and fellow Big 12 school Baylor in the South, Atlantic 10 regular-season champion Dayton in the East, and West Coast Conference champion Gonzaga in the West. In the Final Four, it's East vs. Midwest and South vs. West.

Here's a breakdown of each round via the Model.
Oh hell, you can read the article... I'll save you the suspense if you're impatient:

Spoiler:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8f0b248007.jpg

Spoiler:
Dayton 79, Gonzaga 78

:banana: :banana:

The Cow 03-13-20 08:19 PM

:up:

kenbuzz 03-13-20 08:20 PM

Full bracket from the previous post:

B5Erik 03-13-20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13703799)
This is the best thing to happen to SDSU, they can always lament the season that never was and never have to suffer the massive beating they would have inevitably taken haha.

Beavis, are you sure you're not Butthead?

They beat the shit out of Top 25 teams. Crushed Creighton 83-52. Beat Iowa 83-73. Both on neutral courts Beat BYU 76-71 AT Provo. Their two losses were by a total of 6 points, last second losses. Games they could have, and should have, won.

San Diego, as a city, has NEVER had a major league championship or a major sport collegiate championship. One of the largest cities in America. Never one championship. This was our last, best shot. It won't happen again.

And they didn't HAVE to cancel the tournament. They could have postponed it, and if things didn't look manageable in 3 weeks they could have cancelled THEN. That's what really bugs me.

kenbuzz 03-13-20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13703880)
San Diego, as a city, has NEVER had a major league championship or a major sport collegiate championship. One of the largest cities in America. Never one championship. This was our last, best shot. It won't happen again.

You probably don't remember 1963. I understand what you're feeling (honest), but the facts can take on a life of their own if not known.

kenbuzz 03-13-20 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 13703229)
Dude, I'm from Dayton. I grew up in a northern suburb. I completely understand it.

<---- Huber Heights

You?

kenbuzz 03-13-20 09:24 PM

Well, while I'm picking unintended fights with Otters who are just as disappointed as I am....

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13703783)
Okay, if we're going to have a pity party, let's have a moment of silence for my alma mater as well.

Yeah, we Dayton fans, who will never see a team this good again in our lifetimes, nor ever again see a No. 1 seed, nor ever again have the National Player of the Year on our roster... we really feel for Kansas fans.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...2e23a4a10c.jpg

Not slamming you, D-man... just feeling a little depressed at having this once-in-a-lifetime shot taken away so abruptly.