Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

What are your thoughts about your favorite team tanking a season to rebuild & get high draft picks?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about your favorite team tanking a season?
Hate it - Pisses me off to see my team suck & give up on a season
26.92%
If they don't have the talent to compete, then it has to be done
34.62%
My favorite team has sucked so many years that I don't care about them anymore
26.92%
Other opinion
11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

What are your thoughts about your favorite team tanking a season to rebuild & get high draft picks?

Old 09-26-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Miami Dolphins are probably the worst team in the NFL this season. They've gotten blown out in every game.

So what are your thoughts about teams tanking a season, trading all their star players away, to get a possible #1 overall pick and other high draft picks?

The 76ers went through 4 years of tanking and now with all the young players and assets they gained are one of the elite teams in the NBA.

The Chicago Bulls went through 6 years of tanking/bad teams post Michael Jordan before they were a playoff team again.

The 49ers have been mostly bad post Super Bowl and post-Kaepernick, but they have rebuilt with some good young players.

and it was obvious the Raiders tanked last season in Gruden's 1st year to get draft picks and dump everything from the previous regime.

If you were a season ticket holder, would you be pissed paying good money for a shitty product? Or having to watch a shitty product on TV in your hometown?

Last edited by DJariya; 09-26-19 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-26-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What are your thoughts about your favorite team tanking a season to rebuild & get high draft picks?

I thought it was a great idea in 2012.

Was 100% behind the idea. They were going to be awful anyways with Curtis Painter behind center. So if they were going to lose 10 games in a "best-case" scenario, why not go ahead and lose 14 and end up with (what we assumed to be) a generational talent as the cornerstone of the franchise for years to come. No down side in my mind at the time, no regrets to this day.

But that was a special case. My Chiefs were awful the very next year and only got a serviceable offensive lineman, Eric Fisher, out of the #1 pick. 2012 was special and worth tanking for. Most years aren't (and the Chiefs didn't "tank", they just sucked). But in the NFL where there is no lottery and where one special franchise QB can make a team competitive for a decade, it's absolutely worth tanking for a year. I just don't think that guy is necessarily there this year.
Old 09-26-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What are your thoughts about your favorite team tanking a season to rebuild & get high draft picks?

If you have a better future and you are not going anywhere right now why not?

What is the point of winning a couple of games if you blow your chance to draft a once in a generation talent with the 1st pick?

Maybe the Raiders should go 0-16 for the next 5 years so they can rebuild that team the right way.
Old 09-26-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Raiders had a generational talent and traded away him in his prime at age 27 to the Bears for two firsts, one third and a sixth round pick. That first First rounder was #24. The chances of landing anything close to a generational talent in return was minuscule (though turning the pick into Josh Jacobs was admittedly a pretty decent result). The Raiders wouldn't know how to rebuild if given a fucking road map.
Old 09-26-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To me, intentionally losing or putting together a losing team so that you can accumulate draft picks kind of violates the integrity of the sport, especially over the span of years. But it works. Where would the Spurs have been had they not tanked for Duncan, or the Cavs for Lebron, and then tanked again to get enough number ones to lure Lebron back?

Football is a lot harder. You can guarantee the pick and get a QB, sure, but you need so many players, and when you have a culture of losing it can get contagious.
Old 09-26-19, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

The 76ers went through 4 years of tanking and now with all the young players and assets they gained are one of the elite teams in the NBA.
They are a very good team but no way I would consider them elite at this point. Everything is still based on potential with them.
Old 09-27-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It feels that before the Sixers made a mockery of the concept - the idea of putting together poor talent and trading away good talent for assets was called "rebuilding".

In my opinion, it really only makes sense in the NBA where you can't get better if you're consistently drafting in the low lottery. If you want to win in the NBA, you need to either acquire talent via free agency or be bad enough to get at least one top 3-5 pick. It's not impossible but it is rare that you're able to find that generational talent after that. Tanking makes sense, it sucks that it does - but it makes sense.

In the NFL, it makes no sense to waste a season like the Dolphins are doing. It's a lot easier to get your potential franchise QB via trade - the Rams and Eagles have been very successful doing that - or at any point in the first round. Patrick Mahomes was drafted 10th. Aaron Rodgers was 24th. Tanking for a QB will only get you so far. So much of football is good scouting, coaching and bottom of the roster team building. Getting that hot shot top 3 QB is fine but chances are that if you're drafting that high, the rest of the team is so bad that whoever you put behind center is going to have a rough go of it. Take the Chiefs, they were a 12 win team when they drafted Mahomes and won 10 games in his red shirt year. They put Mahomes in a great situation and gave him a real shot to succeed. Conversely, how often do we see a top 3 drafted QB struggle their first 2-3 years because they don't have much talent or good coaching around them?

And with the MLB - the draft is such a crapshoot that jostling for the highest possible pick also makes little sense. The way to build a team in the MLB is trade off assets when you know you're not competing and acquire prospects through a mix of the draft, trades and international signing.
Old 09-27-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably most for it in the NBA as if you don't have a superstar or two you don't have much of a chance. It isn't always for draft pick though, sometimes trading higher priced players with many years for maybe an expiring contract, a worthless player that won't help you win but could set your team up to sign a bigger free agent

In MLB it is more trading off your assets for prospects and cheap cost controlled players, some that might not hit the big leagues for a couple of years. A good team can be developed with good drafting but it takes many years to see the results in MLB. If you don't do this at some point and are not a team like the Yankees with unlimited funds then you end up having a team like the Tigers who has a bad MLB team and a bad farm and high priced veterans nobody wants anymore.
Old 09-27-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Iím torn on it, but none the choices really reflect my feelings (voted ďit has to be done if they suckĒ though).

Agree that it only seems to make sense in NBA where there are only 5 guys playing at a time, and one star can make all the difference. I donít support any team financially (like buying tickets and/or merch), but I donít blame any fan for bailing on a team that isnít trying.
Old 09-27-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm OK with a team tanking if the team is OK with no one showing up to the games and having them never televised nationally. If a team is clearly trying to tank (dolphins) they should be flexed out of any national games on their schedule.
Old 09-27-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
The Raiders had a generational talent and traded away him in his prime at age 27 to the Bears for two firsts, one third and a sixth round pick. That first First rounder was #24. The chances of landing anything close to a generational talent in return was minuscule (though turning the pick into Josh Jacobs was admittedly a pretty decent result). The Raiders wouldn't know how to rebuild if given a fucking road map.
Yep, I agree 100% The Raiders have a horrible history with their first round picks. If you look at the last say ten years, their 1st round picks are a joke.
Old 09-27-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it depends on the sport. Its how small market teams can be successful in baseball with tanking, rebuilding and hope to have a successfull team for a number of years. Its how the sport works when there is no salary cap. The rules in the NFL shouldn't allow a tank the way its being done in Miami right now.
Old 09-27-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Yep, I agree 100% The Raiders have a horrible history with their first round picks. If you look at the last say ten years, their 1st round picks are a joke.
They drafted Mack and Cooper. Granted, they traded them away for more draft picks, but that's not bad. and Jamarcus Russell is right outside of your 10 year window.
Old 09-27-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is no point in tanking if you don’t have the right people running things. Does anyone believe that the Dolphins will pick the right player(s)?
Old 09-27-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a Dolphins fan and I love it. They were going nowhere doing what they were doing, so why not give it a shot ?
Old 09-27-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
I'm a Dolphins fan and I love it. They were going nowhere doing what they were doing, so why not give it a shot ?
Are you a season ticket holder? I'd be beyond mad if I paid the amount season tickets cost only to learn my team was intentionally shitting the bed.
Old 09-27-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Didn't the Miami/Florida Marlins do this kind of tanking/rebuilding strategy multiple times? But, I seem to recall it was mainly because their management decided to cut salaries and reduce payroll.
Old 09-27-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Are you a season ticket holder? I'd be beyond mad if I paid the amount season tickets cost only to learn my team was intentionally shitting the bed.
There was little to no hope for this season even before the trades started piling up.
Old 09-27-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
There was little to no hope for this season even before the trades started piling up.
Granted but there's a difference between trying your best and losing and intentionally not caring. If I were a ticket holder in FL, I'd want my money back for the full season.

To contrast, I wouldn't want my money back if I were a Lions fan/ticket holder because they at least are trying to win every week (I know they're doing fairly well so far this year).
Old 09-27-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm, I will be a Raiders season ticket holder next year (though I hate the Raiders). So I don't know how mad I would be if they were tanking. The team is still playing football, still trying to win games. They are still putting in effort and tackling. I think that the NFL is different than the NBA where the 82 game season can grind you down and your body language is so self -evident. I don't think I would want my money back for an NFL season ticket for a team that was tanking. Somehow seeing 6 or 7 games where a football team is struggling mightily to produce offense isn't nearly as bad as say, the Sixers, spending half a decade in the tank.
Old 09-27-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Hmmm, I will be a Raiders season ticket holder next year (though I hate the Raiders). So I don't know how mad I would be if they were tanking. The team is still playing football, still trying to win games. They are still putting in effort and tackling. I think that the NFL is different than the NBA where the 82 game season can grind you down and your body language is so self -evident. I don't think I would want my money back for an NFL season ticket for a team that was tanking. Somehow seeing 6 or 7 games where a football team is struggling mightily to produce offense isn't nearly as bad as say, the Sixers, spending half a decade in the tank.

I dunno. As a season ticket holder, you already have to pay full price for meaningless preseason games. Then you have to pay full price to watch the team you're supposed to root for start their third string QB (on purpose) and have players threaten to hold out? At least with basketball, the vast majority of teams can at least fool you into thinking they have some young talent that you can grow up with. I'm not even sure who the Dolphins are building with.
Old 09-27-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I said in the spring that I thought the Skins should go into total tank mode as they had no hope. Being in perpetual 6-8 win territory gets you nowhere. Better to go 2-14 than that..

And I said the O's should have sold off their assets in 2017 before the trade deadline, but they basically waited another season to do that.

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
There is no point in tanking if you don’t have the right people running things. Does anyone believe that the Dolphins will pick the right player(s)?
Though this is a valid point.
Old 09-27-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem now is that every team knows of this strategy - news flash, if ten teams tank at once, they aren't all destined to become championship contenders. And even when you tank, your window of greatness may be very limited.
Old 09-27-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The problem now is that every team knows of this strategy - news flash, if ten teams tank at once, they aren't all destined to become championship contenders. And even when you tank, your window of greatness may be very limited.
Good Call !!!

Look at the AL. Half the games are unwatchable(including the Tigers/White Sox DH I am viewing as I type this).
Old 09-27-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Season ticket holders should be pissed about their teams actively tanking. Although unless those tickets are used to wine and dine clients, the season tickets for sports teams are still more or less for people with decent income as well as ample entertainment dollars, and they could always give it up. ( I fully acknowledge that it's not as simple as that, but it is an option. )

But, tanking alone is NOT enough to turn things around for a sports franchise. Just look at the Cleveland Browns and all the high draft choices that went their way for the past 20+ years. Some competency in the front office and/or ownership direction would go a long way.

Obviously, basketball is the easiest to turn around with the selection of a special talent. But sometimes it works and a lot of times it does not. Plenty of NBA top 10 picks still turned out to be colossal busts.

Yes, the Marlins tanked multiple times in its history due to ownership caring more about the bottom line rather than staying competitive. However, as a franchise they did rather well since its inception. If we are to measure the success of a sports team by the number of championships won, then the Marlins (since joining the league in 1993) have done way better than teams like the Reds, Padres, Orioles, Mets, Brewers, Rays, Rockies, A's, Nationals, Twins, Tigers, Rangers, Mariners, Pirates and Dodgers because none of them has won jack shit during that time span since the Marlins' existence and they have two...

But, given how skewed the talent level between teams in MLB are right now, it would not surprise me if the Marlins' most recent tanking effort going nowhere and they stay non-competitive for the next decade or more.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.