DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Fantasy Football Talk 2019 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/648266-fantasy-football-talk-2019-a.html)

davidh777 07-30-19 07:18 PM

Fantasy Football Talk 2019

i expect to be in three leagues this season, including two here.

lwhy? 07-30-19 08:37 PM

Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2019

I'm going to be in seven leagues this year. 4 Yahoo leagues and 3 ESPN leagues. I have won 3 Championships in Yahoo leagues, but I have yet to win an ESPN League.

LorenzoL 07-30-19 09:25 PM

Just the one money league again. 12 team PPR league.

brainee 07-30-19 11:16 PM

No plans besides the "friends and family" keeper that I've been doing for the last 5 years or so. Last year I joined a couple of other leagues last minute with people I didn't know that turned out to be complete busts (with most players bailing long before the end).

The end of last season in the keeper still stings. Had the best record and points scored ever for the regular season in the history of the league. And lost in the finals ... by 0.1 :mad2:

A lot can happen before the draft, but I'm already thinking about who to keep. I can keep 2 players at the cost of my 1st 2 draft picks. Draft order is in inverse order of final standings from the previous year and first 3 rounds aren't snake picks (so to keep 2 players I give up the #9 and #19 overall picks and don't get my first draft pick until #29). Looking at ESPN's current non-PPR overall rankings I have 6 players in their top 20 so keeping two (instead of using draft picks in the 1st 2 rounds) is the clear play. The guys I have (in order of their pre-season ranking) are:

Zeke Elliot
David Johnson
Le'veon Bell
Travis Kelce
Tyreek Hill
James Conner

That's not counting Mahomes who experts don't rank that high but I suspect will be taken in the first couple of rounds in many drafts.

Of course Zeke is an obvious keeper if he ends his holdout. If his situation is still up in the air by draft day that'll be a tough call. As of now I'm leaning towards the next 2 RBs on the list, but both have issues. DJ was a disappointment last year (and I passed over keeping Kamara for him, which hurt). But he still ended a borderline top 10 RB. The volume looks to still be there and the offense sounds improved (but that hinges on performance of a rookie QB). And Bell's situation this year feels a lot like Johnson's last ... that he'll get volume but overall numbers will suffer because of awful offense.

davidh777 07-31-19 12:24 AM

And just like that, we’re back to the days of agonizing over-analysis, coin-flip decisions, and somehow, some way, always making the wrong choice. :lol:

Red Dog 07-31-19 08:26 AM

Two as usual (maybe I'll do a few random best ball leagues on Fanball):
1. Auction league I commish - dynasty + Superflex//PPR. 16th year.
2. Limited keeper league - Standard. Been in this one at least 20 years.

mphtrilogy 07-31-19 09:46 AM

i am doing a lot of bestball leagues during the pre-season, but only one regular season league which is in its 29th year...

lwhy? 07-31-19 09:53 AM

If anyone is looking for a league, amplified’s Auction League is short one owner.

Osiris3657 08-01-19 12:10 PM

I'm starting a dynasty league with a group of friends this season, should be interesting. Certainly have to approach the draft differently than you would in a standard league

JeffTheAlpaca 08-05-19 07:04 PM

What is the ADP of Andrew Luck?

brainee 08-06-19 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13589420)
What is the ADP of Andrew Luck?

Looking at ADPs so far (from fantasypros.com), this is how QB tiers seem to be playing out:

TIER 1 (18): Mahommes
TIER 2 (45-52): Luck, Watson, Rodgers
TIER 3 (63-71): Mayfield, Ryan
TIER 4 (80-89): Brees, Wilson, Wentz, Newton, Goff
TIER 5 (102-122): Murray, Roethlisberger, Brady, Winston, Rivers, Prescott, Jackson

I'm liking the value of guys in that 4th tier this season.

lwhy? 08-06-19 03:22 PM

Luck is a bit worrisome due to his calf injury. I don't think they're even going to try to have him play until the 1st game of the regular season at the earliest. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ady-for-week-1

nickdawgy 08-07-19 03:58 PM

When I started fantasy football like 6-7 years ago, I did a ton of research and finished second in both leagues. I probably would have won both had we not played the championship game week 17. Half my team sat out that week. I did a ton of research and mock drafts that season. Since then, I’ve hardly studied at all outside of a few articles. And haven’t come close to the title. Perhaps I should change that.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-07-19 05:59 PM

It is probably more luck than skill and you can't predict injuries

JeffTheAlpaca 08-07-19 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 13589872)
Looking at ADPs so far (from fantasypros.com), this is how QB tiers seem to be playing out:

TIER 1 (18): Mahommes
TIER 2 (45-52): Luck, Watson, Rodgers
TIER 3 (63-71): Mayfield, Ryan
TIER 4 (80-89): Brees, Wilson, Wentz, Newton, Goff
TIER 5 (102-122): Murray, Roethlisberger, Brady, Winston, Rivers, Prescott, Jackson

I'm liking the value of guys in that 4th tier this season.

Yeah though Wilson does not throw a lot of passes and Brees struggled for most of December and the playoffs and he could be near the end.

I think the Rams have two new O Lineman and Goff might struggle and have a Super Bowl hangover.

Newton is the wild card and you don't know what you will get.

printerati 08-09-19 02:44 PM

I'll be in three leagues this season, two Yahoo leagues here and an ESPN local "beer" league (where first place gets $25 in rare/non-local craft beer from each team owner). It's my first year in the latter, and it might even be the first year for the league, so I have no idea what to expect.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-10-19 06:19 PM

Maybe Cousins will be a value pick if the Vikings O line is better this year.

I would take him as a backup over Rivers.

Shamus McAnally 08-13-19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by printerati (Post 13591666)
I'll be in three leagues this season, two Yahoo leagues here and an ESPN local "beer" league (where first place gets $25 in rare/non-local craft beer from each team owner). It's my first year in the latter, and it might even be the first year for the league, so I have no idea what to expect.

I did that with a college league a few years ago. And it wasn't the whole league. It was the four of us that were local/drank craft. (So it was the one of the four of us that finished highest.) I won the first year and just got beers bought for me at the bar. Next 2 years, it was something like 44 oz. of craft. (No rule on rarity/point of origin.)

Last 2 years, I've been in a hockey league. Everyone in the league ships a box, no matter where they finish. There are prizes for top 2 in season finishes and top 3 in playoffs. People all around the country, for the most part. We had 14 two seasons ago. Only 12 last season. Hoping it doesn't drop even more next season. Here's the breakdown last year:
Prizes will be:

1st-Playoffs: 5
2nd-Playoffs: 3
3rd-Playoffs: 1
1st-Season: 2
2nd-Season: 1

(Here are the recommendations: The package will be $35 worth of beer with at least one can/bottle rated 4.3 on beer advocate. The rest of the package will be filled with local beers that are locally/state distributed and are rated 4.0+ on BA. Porch bombs encouraged! ) After 2 years, I've received 2 boxes and sent 2 boxes. So, I suppose I've broken even so far, although I actually enjoy putting together a box. It's just that it comes at the busies time of year for me. Also, there's usually an open thread for people that pick up beers/are looking for particular beers and interested in trading/spreading the news. It definitely adds to the allure of playing/keeps you paying close attention.

lwhy? 08-18-19 09:56 PM

I joined a keeper league this year. This is my first keeper league. I inherited a team from last year and here are the players. I can keep two. I have to forfeit the draft pick from the round they were chosen in last year. If I chose a player that was undrafted or picked up on waivers I surrender a 7th round pick. It's a 10 team standard scoring except you get 6 pts per passing TD. I'm thinking about keeping Hopkins in return for my 3rd round pick and Edelman for my 9th round pick. I have the number 3 overall pick and I don't know if I should give that up in return for David Johnson.... Anyone think differently?

Drew Brees (NO - QB) Round 4
DeAndre Hopkins (Hou - WR) Round 3
Julian Edelman (NE - WR) O Round 9
David Johnson (Ari - RB) Round 1
Tarik Cohen (Chi - RB) Round 8
David Njoku (Cle - TE) Q Round 5
James White (NE - RB) -
Corey Davis (Ten - WR) Round 9
Gus Edwards (Bal - RB) -
Sterling Shepard (NYG - WR) Round 13
Josh Allen (Buf - QB) -
Antonio Callaway (Cle - WR) -
Kalen Ballage (Mia - RB) -
Matt Bryant (Atl - K) NA Round 14
Buffalo (Buf - DEF) -

brainee 08-18-19 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13594965)
I joined a keeper league this year. This is my first keeper league. I inherited a team from last year and here are the players. I can keep two. I have to forfeit the draft pick from the round they were chosen in last year. If I chose a player that was undrafted or picked up on waivers I surrender a 7th round pick. It's a 10 team standard scoring except you get 6 pts per passing TD. I'm thinking about keeping Hopkins in return for my 3rd round pick and Edelman for my 9th round pick. I have the number 3 overall pick and I don't know if I should give that up in return for David Johnson.... Anyone think differently?

Hopkins and Edelman are the logical choices to keep for me. The only other player whose keeper round is lower than this year's ADP is Tarik Cohen but in non-PPR I'm fine with passing on him (plus I'd much rather have Hopkins and Edelman).

Without seeing the other rosters, I don't know how the guys available in the 1st round will pan out. Is it likely David Johnson would be there anyway for you to draft anyway? I'd have to think Barkley, Kamara, and McCaffrey would all be kept (with at least the first costing his team their 1st round pick).

lwhy? 08-19-19 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 13594981)
Hopkins and Edelman are the logical choices to keep for me. The only other player whose keeper round is lower than this year's ADP is Tarik Cohen but in non-PPR I'm fine with passing on him (plus I'd much rather have Hopkins and Edelman).

Without seeing the other rosters, I don't know how the guys available in the 1st round will pan out. Is it likely David Johnson would be there anyway for you to draft anyway? I'd have to think Barkley, Kamara, and McCaffrey would all be kept (with at least the first costing his team their 1st round pick).

Believe it or not, but Barkley wasn't kept. That owner already declared his keepers. He had Barkley and McCaffrey and he kept McCaffrey and Baker Mayfield.... You can only keep a player twice in this league. Johnson might still be there at 3. I have until the 26th to declare my keepers.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-19-19 02:06 AM

Is Kareem Hunt being drafted in most leagues and being stashed and then will be eventually cut once the bye weeks start?

8 games is a long time to wait.

brainee 08-19-19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13595000)
Is Kareem Hunt being drafted in most leagues and being stashed and then will be eventually cut once the bye weeks start?

Agreed. It's bad enough when there's a suspension but after it's likely the guy will step into the starter's role. But Chubb surely earned the starter's job. Hunt will be a passing down RB and Chubb's handcuff when he comes back. Not worth a valuable roster spot to start the season. Even at his ADP (which is at the end of the draft, if taken at all so far).

clappj 08-19-19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13595000)

My feeling is that Hunt would only be worth drafting if you can get him in the last couple rounds of your draft.
If Nick Chubb is still healthy and running strong for the Browns mid way through the season, and highly unlikely Hunt will suddenly take the fantasy world by storm on Week 9 or after.
If Chubb gets injured or otherwise falls apart performance-wise, then Hunt might have some value. Nothing is a sure bet obviously.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-21-19 06:45 PM

I wonder how much damage Ezekiel, Andrew Luck and Melvin Gordon will do in peoples drafts since you don't know when they will come back.