Forgot to do the new thread last night
Old 07-01-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2019 MLB July thread RIP Tyler Skaggs

Very sad news
Old 07-01-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At the new Las Vegas Ballpark for the first time. Man this park is pretty, and not even very hot tonight.

Old 07-01-19, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fresh off their first losing month in two years, Cubs get pounded by the Pirates.
Old 07-01-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Fresh off their first losing month in two years, Cubs get pounded by the Pirates.
The entire NL Central is a tepid pool of mediocrity right now.
Old 07-01-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
The entire NL Central is a tepid pool of mediocrity right now.
Yeah, the narrative used to be that all the teams were close and beating each other up, but now it’s more like everyone has significant holes. For the Cubs, it’s their injured rotation and continuing lack of situational hitting.
Old 07-02-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the narrative used to be that all the teams were close and beating each other up, but now it’s more like everyone has significant holes. For the Cubs, it’s their injured rotation and continuing lack of situational hitting.
It's probably those significant holes that are encouraging the Pirates to pound them. If the Cubs dressed a little less provocatively they might be able to discourage that behavior.
Old 07-02-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
At the new Las Vegas Ballpark for the first time. Man this park is pretty, and not even very hot tonight.
That's very nice. It the new park for a minor league team?
Old 07-02-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
It's probably those significant holes that are encouraging the Pirates to pound them. If the Cubs dressed a little less provocatively they might be able to discourage that behavior.
Ah, I see you’re familiar with the controversy of the Cubs wearing their blue tops at home.
Old 07-02-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does Las Vegas(PCL) still use a batdog for their home games?
Old 07-02-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
That's very nice. It the new park for a minor league team?
Yes.

Las Vegas Ballpark Snares Triple-A Best of the Ballparks Crown

by Ballpark Digest Editors on July 1, 2019 in Awards, Minor-League Baseball

We have a new champion in the 2019 MiLB Triple-A Best of the Ballparks fan vote, with Las Vegas Ballpark, new home of the Las Vegas Aviators, defeating Southwest University Park, home of the El Paso Chihuahuas, in the finals.

Over 85,000 fans voted in all five rounds of the Triple-A Best of the Ballparks fan vote, with almost 500,000 fans voting to date in the overall competition. After several close votes in previous rounds, the final margin in the finals: 55.6-44.4% Vegas. Huntington Park, home of the International League’s Columbus Clippers, won the 2017 and 2018 Best of the Ballparks fan voting.

The Aviators lead Triple-A baseball in total home attendance of 398,771 with sixteen games totaling more than 10,000-plus attendees this season.

“We are thrilled that Las Vegas Ballpark won this award in the fan voting conducted by Ballpark Digest,” said Don Logan, President and COO, Las Vegas Aviators. “Las Vegas Ballpark has become a great showcase for professional baseball and the fan support in our inaugural season has been tremendous. Everyone worked extremely hard in the planning and preparation of the Ballpark and we could not be more proud.”

“Las Vegas Ballpark is a tremendous accomplishment, truly standing out in a market already known for noteworthy entertainment and top-notch venues,” said Kevin Reichard, Publisher, Ballpark Digest. “In a year where many notable new ballparks have opened in pro and college baseball, Las Vegas Ballpark made an impression that fans took note of.”

It’s a big year for both ballparks. Las Vegas Ballpark opened this season as the new home of the rebranded Las Vegas Aviators to wide acclaim, as evidenced by our visit earlier this season. Southwest University Park opened in 2014 and was named Ballpark of the Year in the annual Ballpark Digest awards. Next week El Paso is hosting the Triple-A All-Star Game, pitting the top stars from the Pacific Coast League and the International League.

Other winners in this year’s Best of the Ballparks fan vote:

MLB: PNC Park (Pittsburgh Pirates)
Double-A: Hodgetown (Amarillo Sod Poodles)
High-A: LECOM Park (Bradenton Marauders)
Low-A: Parkview Field (Fort Wayne TinCaps)
Cactus League: Salt River Fields at Talking Stick (Arizona Diamondbacks / Colorado Rockies)
Grapefruit League: Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium (Detroit Tigers)
Old 07-02-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Does Las Vegas(PCL) still use a batdog for their home games?
Yes. I was unaware of that until the game, but yeah they used a bat dog.

The Aviators are the Triple-A affiliate for the A's.
Old 07-02-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When Las Vegas was the Mets top farm team they did a really Mickey Mouse job on their MiLBTV home telecasts. Just one camera and it was between home plate and first base. That was when they were at the previous stadium not the new one.

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 07-02-19 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MLB is seriously considering placing a team in Vegas. I think it's a strong candidate when they add two more teams. I think you'll see an MLB team there by 2025.
Old 07-03-19, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I never thought baseball would work in Vegas as it gets so damn hot and the old POS park was empty. But this new one is NICE. Still we are a small city and I don't know if we could support 81 MLB games a year in addition to 41 NHL and 8 NFL games.

In other news, the Dodgers won in true "Walk-Off" fashion tonight when the Diamondbacks gave up five straight walks with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.
Old 07-03-19, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
MLB is seriously considering placing a team in Vegas. I think it's a strong candidate when they add two more teams. I think you'll see an MLB team there by 2025.
If Vegas gets a NEW team that isn't the Marlins or Rays, I'll be surprised.
Old 07-03-19, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yankees radio broadcaster John Sterling will miss 4 games beginning on Thursday ending his consecutive game streak at 5,058 games.

I don't know what the Yankees will do with tv play by play man Michael Kay because he keeps losing his voice. He also hosts the weekday Michael Kay Show on YES Network and ESPN NY radio. I don't think anyone's voice was meant for talking 7 hours a day especially in the sports/entertainment business. I really don't understand the talk show because you are basically forbidden the rip the NY Yankees but the NY Mets are fair game for everyone.
Old 07-03-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
If Vegas gets a NEW team that isn't the Marlins or Rays, I'll be surprised.
I would put Montreal,San Antonio,Charlotte and Portland,OR ahead of Las Vegas for expansion teams.

Marlins and Rays should merge and either move to New Jersey(Jersey City ???) or become a regional Florida team(play mostly in Miami and play in other cities as well).

I read an article a few weeks ago and it mentioned that putting a team in New Jersey would be a good idea(I have been saying this for years).
Old 07-03-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is really no way to put a team in Vegas unless some billionaire wants to build his own stadium. We just pony upped $750M in public funds to build an NFL stadium and, of course, just built a state-of-the-art Minor League ballpark that opened 2 months ago.

In other news, the Angels lost All-Star Tommy La Stella for 8-10 weeks with a broken leg. Another rough year for the Halos.
Old 07-03-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
There is really no way to put a team in Vegas unless some billionaire wants to build his own stadium. We just pony upped $750M in public funds to build an NFL stadium and, of course, just built a state-of-the-art Minor League ballpark that opened 2 months ago.

In other news, the Angels lost All-Star Tommy La Stella for 8-10 weeks with a broken leg. Another rough year for the Halos.
That’s tough luck, but LaStella has 16 HR this year in 283 AB after hitting 10 in his previous 800, so I doubt anyone expected him to be an All-Star. Not sure he’d have been able to maintain it.
Old 07-03-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I could see the NBA putting a team in Las Vegas but not before Seattle and another Canadian city(Montreal???). They don't want too many teams in the west.
Old 07-03-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I could see the NBA putting a team in Las Vegas but not before Seattle and another Canadian city(Montreal???). They don't want too many teams in the west.

Old 07-04-19, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dodgers win their MLB record - tying fifth consecutive home Walk-Off victory. Cody Bellinger hit tonight's game winning HR.
Old 07-04-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shouldn't every team be playing on July 4th?

When was the last time the Orioles didn't have a game scheduled for the 4th of July?
Old 07-04-19, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Shouldn't every team be playing on July 4th?
Yes they should.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.