Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 MLB July thread RIP Tyler Skaggs

Old 08-01-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: 2019 MLB July thread RIP Tyler Skaggs

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

Dbacks picked up 53 of the remaining 77M on the contract, so itís still a big hit for them. But thatís how you get better/more prospects in return.

Or the Dodgers couldíve traded one of the three catchers in their top 10 prospects for an arm.

Kimbrel hasnít been perfect, but itís sure nice having him instead of patching something together, especially with Stropís problems this year.
​​​​​​Dbacks are only paying $24 million of his contract, not $53 million.

Old 08-01-19, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
​​​​​​Dbacks are only paying $24 million of his contract, not $53 million.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...66307888238592
Ah, I read that backward.
Old 08-01-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Astros had Morton and Keuchel last year. What happened? I do agree with your comment about their coaches and front office. That needs to change. Again. However wasn’t their pitching coach one of the Astros coaches? Doug White is terrible. As for Trout, he signed here because he likes the owner and the players and fans. Also his wife had a big say as well. He said something like if he played in Philly or NY, he’d be recognized non stop. Here he can somewhat blend in. He said he likes going back to NJ in the offseason for Eagles games, fishing, family stuff, etc.
Ha, trying to take a shot at a team that won 103 games last year and went to the ALCS. We lost to the 104 win Sox, what an embarrassment Morton was pitching injured the 2nd half of last season, and Keuchel hasn't been reliable for a couple years now, glad he's gone. He's stinking it up in Atlanta.
Doug Brocail, and he hasn't been the Astros pitching coach since 2013. Brent Strom is the current pitching coach, and he's the guru that turns our pitchers into studs.
Good luck battling the Rangers for 3rd place! Should come down to the wire.

There is some hope for the future though. I've got a strong feeling that Cole is going to go back home and sign with the Angels. I could see Moreno throwing the $200MM Cole is looking for at him.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 08-01-19 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

Or the Dodgers couldíve traded one of the three catchers in their top 10 prospects for an arm.
I don't think you can call Will Smith a prospect any more. He has 6 HR and 19 RBI in his first 14 games after a 2 out 6th inning go-ahead Grand Slam tonight. And he's catching well. Sorry Austin Barnes, but the Fresh Prince is here to stay.
Old 08-02-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Ha, trying to take a shot at a team that won 103 games last year and went to the ALCS. We lost to the 104 win Sox, what an embarrassment Morton was pitching injured the 2nd half of last season, and Keuchel hasn't been reliable for a couple years now, glad he's gone. He's stinking it up in Atlanta.
Doug Brocail, and he hasn't been the Astros pitching coach since 2013. Brent Strom is the current pitching coach, and he's the guru that turns our pitchers into studs.
Good luck battling the Rangers for 3rd place! Should come down to the wire.

There is some hope for the future though. I've got a strong feeling that Cole is going to go back home and sign with the Angels. I could see Moreno throwing the $200MM Cole is looking for at him.
You really think the Angels can take third place? Thatís asking a lot. I heard the Cole rumors but I doubt it. He wants to win. And yeah, after years of being the Lastros, your team is one of the best. But last year they finished in the same position as the Angels. Looking up at the Red Sox. Thatís all that matters. You have a great team. But you think that your GM wouldnít trade Bregman, Altuve, Springer, and Verlander for Trout if he was offered it? My team has the best player in the game for the next 12 years. You really think theyíll continue to lose year after year? The Astros figured it out. So will they.
Old 08-02-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Cole is going wherever they pay him the most. He came off as greedy coming out of both high school and college, doing everything possible to maximize his contract demands each step of the way.

I think the Angels are a possibility but they haven't had the greatest luck overpaying for free agents.
Old 08-02-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah if he comes here, he goes 6-13 before finding out he needs TJ.
Old 08-03-19, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
But you think that your GM wouldnít trade Bregman, Altuve, Springer, and Verlander for Trout if he was offered it? My team has the best player in the game for the next 12 years. You really think theyíll continue to lose year after year?
Easy now, as good as Trout is, that trade is absurd. No, I don't think he'd trade 4 established All-Stars that include a Cy Young and MVP Winner for 1 MVP winner.

And yes, I do think they'll continue to lose. He's been on the team for 8 years already and they've done NOTHING. Like I said, until the Angels get at drafting, developing, and smarter with free agent signings, they will continue to flounder around .500.

Old 08-03-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Next year, they may get some good free agents. Adel should be called up. Ohtani will be able to pitch again. I’m not saying WS contenders but to think that they’ll continue to lose when they had great teams for much of the 2000’s is pretty silly. Again, the Astros lost what like 111 games not too long ago? Anybody can turn it around.

There’s probably not any team in the league that wouldn’t trade their two best players for Trout if offered. Can the Astros say that? Bregman is a stud but he’s not even on the same planet as Trout.
Old 08-03-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Angels will be good again when Pujols retires. He's a blackhole in the budget and has been a net negative on the field for awhile now.
Old 08-04-19, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He’s certainly overpaid but Upton is, too. It seems like while pitchers go to Houston to thrive, hitters come to Anaheim to die. Home grown talent like Salmon, Anderson, Glaus, and Trout seem to be fine. But bring a free agent here and he forgets how to hit.

Some things I’ve noticed about them yearly:

1. Black hole at third. Tried Freese. Tried Wood. Tried MacPherson. Nothing. Ever since Glaus, there has been a huge hole. Fletcher has been decent this year and Thaiss is improving. We’ll see.
2. Pitching is a joke. This year it’s the whole squad. Sometimes it’s just the starters. Sometimes just the pen.
3. There will be at least 2-3 major injuries. Plus one pitcher will need TJ or hurt himself bad enough to miss a big chunk
if time.
4. At least one former Angel will go off on them. This year it was Clevinger. So far.
5. The front office and coaches continue to suck.