2019 MLB July thread RIP Tyler Skaggs

Old 07-31-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: 2019 MLB July thread RIP Tyler Skaggs

Damn, Greinke to Astros.
Old 07-31-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Big stones by the Astros to pull off that deal.
Old 07-31-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder what the Blue Jays got...
Old 07-31-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Astros are all in for the ring this year.

Old 07-31-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Astros rotation is fucking sick.
Old 07-31-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

The haul the Dbacks got was ridiculous. 3 of the Astros top 10 prospects. Sure, money is going back to Houston, but this is the way to rebuild.
Old 07-31-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m looking forward to seeing the Astros crumble.
Old 07-31-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
The haul the Dbacks got was ridiculous. 3 of the Astros top 10 prospects. Sure, money is going back to Houston, but this is the way to rebuild.
I know Greinke is on another level compared to Sanchez and Biagini but I believe the Blue Jays got a jersey along with a bucket of baseballs for them.

Don't get me started with the return for Stroman...

Now who the hell are the Blue Jays going to send out pitching wise for the remaining two months of the season nobody knows but at least it's nice to see Vlad Jr., Biggio and Bichette strutting their stuff.
Old 07-31-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Astros are now 2-1 favorites to win the World Series. I think most people now expect a Dodgers-Astros rematch in the World Series. Greinke has been having a good season. This move absolutely separates them from every other team.

This signals the Astros have no intention of re-signing Cole as a free agent.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 07-31-19 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the Dodgers did..... Nothing
Old 07-31-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
And the Dodgers did..... Nothing
Jedd Gyorko! Why would they need to? Running away with division. They seem to matchup well against remaining NL teams. Seems dumb to add anything just because everyone else is.
Old 07-31-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jedd Gyorko! Why would they need to? Running away with division. They seem to matchup well against remaining NL teams. Seems dumb to add anything just because everyone else is.
If MLB games lasted 6 innings, I would agree with you. But they don't and the Dodgers' bullpen stinks. Even Kenley Jansen is a shell of his former self.
Old 07-31-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When youíve lost two consecutive WS, you donít care about the division or the NL. I figured theyíd do something big, but shows you what I know.
Old 07-31-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Angels addressed their pitching problems today by acquiring a third string catcher from the Astros. And all it cost was two minor leaguers. I hear the guy frames pitches well. Should definitely help them win a good 15-20 games minimum. Then they went out and gave a confidence boost to the Tigers by allowing nine runs to finish a 2-5 showing vs the two worst teams in baseball.

But I mean they have Trout, so why do they need playoffs?
Old 07-31-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I gotta admit, I am super-impressed with their farm system. I have no idea how they end up with so many talented home-grown or imported players. Their rookies this season have been great and new catcher Will Smith had another game winning HR today.
Old 07-31-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I’m looking forward to seeing the Astros crumble.
Keep dreaming. We kept our 3 blue chip prospects (Whitley, Tucker, and Alvarez), have the best development staff and best front office in the majors. Nearly every player we acquire gets better.

Meanwhile, the Angels continue to flounder around .500 with the best player in baseball. I'm honestly shocked Trout signed that extension, he's known nothing but mediocrity since he's been on the team. Nothing's going to change until you hire better front office personnel and coaches.
Old 07-31-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't get too excited man. I'm not saying it's a bad deal, but...
Seth Beer-good hitter, but he's going to hurt you in the field and on the basepaths. Also struggles vs lefties
JB Bukauskas-bad control, walks a ton of guys. Great stuff, but likely a volatile reliever
Corbin Martin-just had Tommy John. Don't even bother thinking about him until 2021
Josh Rojas-a nice bench piece
Old 07-31-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck the Blue Jays front office! We give Sanchez, Biagini and a prospect for this guy!!!

Old 07-31-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Seth Beer-good hitter, but he's going to hurt you in the field and on the basepaths. Also struggles vs lefties
JB Bukauskas-bad control, walks a ton of guys. Great stuff, but likely a volatile reliever
Corbin Martin-just had Tommy John. Don't even bother thinking about him until 2021
Yeah, prospects 3-4-5 sounds great because Houston has had such a good system, but only one (Beer) is top 100 overall because of graduations and such. Still, they could all turn out to be useful pieces.
Old 08-01-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Dbacks are going complete rebuild. They want young controllable talent. Unloading the Greinke contract was a huge win. Every single guy who has evaluated the trade loves it for both sides.
Old 08-01-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm just saying they all have notable flaws, let's not act like Arizona got a bunch of blue chippers. I do agree that it's fair for both sides.
Old 08-01-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm just saying they all have notable flaws, let's not act like Arizona got a bunch of blue chippers. I do agree that it's fair for both sides.
Prospects are exactly what the name implies. Prospects. Nobody can guarantee with certainty about the success of any player outside of a very few select instances. This trade is a win for the Dbacks for the 2 very reasons I stated: salary relief and getting top tier prospects from the Astros organization in return.
Old 08-01-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Arizona wanted out of the Greinke contract by hook or crook. The Astros were one of the few teams with enough prospect depth willing to pay his salary. I think it was a fair trade given Arizona's constraints.

The Dodgers not trading for a top closer will come back to bite them. Kenley is a shell of his former self and isn't a shutdown closer anymore. Dodgers should have signed Kimbrel.
Old 08-01-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I think Arizona wanted out of the Greinke contract by hook or crook. The Astros were one of the few teams with enough prospect depth willing to pay his salary. I think it was a fair trade given Arizona's constraints.

The Dodgers not trading for a top closer will come back to bite them. Kenley is a shell of his former self and isn't a shutdown closer anymore. Dodgers should have signed Kimbrel.
Dbacks picked up 53 of the remaining 77M on the contract, so itís still a big hit for them. But thatís how you get better/more prospects in return.

Or the Dodgers couldíve traded one of the three catchers in their top 10 prospects for an arm.

Kimbrel hasnít been perfect, but itís sure nice having him instead of patching something together, especially with Stropís problems this year.
Old 08-01-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Keep dreaming. We kept our 3 blue chip prospects (Whitley, Tucker, and Alvarez), have the best development staff and best front office in the majors. Nearly every player we acquire gets better.

Meanwhile, the Angels continue to flounder around .500 with the best player in baseball. I'm honestly shocked Trout signed that extension, he's known nothing but mediocrity since he's been on the team. Nothing's going to change until you hire better front office personnel and coaches.
Astros had Morton and Keuchel last year. What happened? I do agree with your comment about their coaches and front office. That needs to change. Again. However wasnít their pitching coach one of the Astros coaches? Doug White is terrible. As for Trout, he signed here because he likes the owner and the players and fans. Also his wife had a big say as well. He said something like if he played in Philly or NY, heíd be recognized non stop. Here he can somewhat blend in. He said he likes going back to NJ in the offseason for Eagles games, fishing, family stuff, etc.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.