Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

FIFA Women's World Cup 2019 (France).

Old 06-07-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FIFA Women's World Cup 2019 (France).

Probably not much interest but what the heck, I like women's soccer and the competition has been steadily improving. So here we go:

No sign of home jitters for Les Bleus who opened up in style by crushing Korea 4-0.
Old 06-07-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: FIFA Women's World Cup 2019 (France).

Go Canada and England!
Old 06-07-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-07-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

US is still the favorite, but France, Germany, England, Canada are all strong. But interestingly, the Netherlands are the current European champions (and they are in Canada's group). However, they belong in the second tier (or third of you have the US alone at the top) along with Australia, Japan, Sweden and Brazil.
Old 06-08-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

France looks very tough on home soil. They beat the US comfortably in January over there and took South Korea apart yesterday. That said, I think when the games really count and they put their best team on the field the USA is still the team to beat.
Old 06-08-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The US team is very deep but many believe France has the best starting 11. But on paper doesn't mean much, games still have to be played.

I expect Canada to do well, but they'll have the same issue scoring goals if Sinclair doesn't score. However, they might be the best defensive team in the tournament. They've only allowed 1 goal so far in 2019.
Old 06-09-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-10-19, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only surprise is Italy beating Australia (2-1).

Cristiane becomes the oldest player (34) to score a hat trick in a World Cup (3-0 against Jamaica). Previously, it was Ronaldo (33).
Old 06-10-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Japan 0 - Argentina 0, that's another surprise, and it helps England.
Old 06-10-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great run by Buchanan to get her head on that corner kick.

Dominate half for us, but still struggling to score.
Old 06-10-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like how this is the Women's World Cup and the thread title has an unnecessary period in it. Lol.
Old 06-10-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Great run by Buchanan to get her head on that corner kick.

Dominate half for us, but still struggling to score.
Sinclair aside, they always struggle to score. I wish they'd play Jordyn Huitema.
Old 06-10-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I like how this is the Women's World Cup and the thread title has an unnecessary period in it. Lol.
Blessed be the fruit.
Old 06-10-19, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Sinclair aside, they always struggle to score. I wish they'd play Jordyn Huitema.
I thought maybe she'd be on in the 2nd half. Hopefully.she'll get a chance to play.
Old 06-11-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post

If that looks like a lot of teams, just wait. FIFA is expanding the men's tourney to 48 in 2026. That's TWICE the teams as shown above. Sixteen Groups, three teams per, with 32 advancing to the knock-out stage.

Talk about watering-down the product.
Old 06-11-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Thailand can get the ball past the halfway line I'll be amazed.
Old 06-11-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just throw the towel in Thailand!
Old 06-11-19, 03:57 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now that was an ass whipping - yikes

US missed a lot of easy ones too could have been 18-0. While I am not proud of laying a team out like that this is the WC you don't back off or slow down period. You do everything you can to win every game and win big.

On a side note I do feel bad for Thailand it sucks getting beat that bad. I loved when Rob Stone bitched about running it up and EVERYONE on the panel (3 ladies and Alexi) basically said hell no and pretty told him to stuff it. Alexi was actually pissed at him for saying it.
Old 06-11-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rob Stone started virtue signalling into a ceiling fan and was flummoxed when the athletes on the panel didn't join in. Maybe he needs to take his ass back home and host youth league studio shows.
Old 06-11-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alas, since GD is the first tiebreaker in the Group Stage, and since the other two teams who have yet to play Thailand might also run-up the score, there's little you can do but also keep playing and scoring. Sweden blanked Chile earlier today 2-0, so if Sweden can manage a draw against the Americans they will be planning to eviscerate Thailand in their final Group match to come out on top. Like it or not, putting up only 13 on the Thais might work against Team USA just because they ended up setting the mark that the Swedes (ranked 9th in the world) can shoot for.
Old 06-12-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Rob Stone started virtue signalling into a ceiling fan and was flummoxed when the athletes on the panel didn't join in. Maybe he needs to take his ass back home and host youth league studio shows.
As long as he keeps calling the PBA Tour, I'm happy.

Glad he brought it up though. At the very least, the celebrations after those later goals were pretty ridiculous.

As for the GD tiebreaker, there doesn't seem to be a good incentive to win this group. You'd have to play FRA in the quarters.
Old 06-12-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I watched the US game and yeah there's a lot of people criticizing them for celebrating all the goals but you it's the world cup. You celebrate every goal. Never know if it's the last one you're going to score. It's a big deal.

Haters just like to hate.
Old 06-12-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I watched the US game and yeah there's a lot of people criticizing them for celebrating all the goals but you it's the world cup. You celebrate every goal. Never know if it's the last one you're going to score. It's a big deal.

Haters just like to hate.
They were criticised heavily here on TV.

I thought they did a good job of keeping their celebrations over towards their team.
Old 06-12-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I stopped watching after the first half. Pointless.
Old 06-12-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football...64/story.shtml

The Warm-up: Stop crying about USA 13-0 Thailand
Eurosport.co.uk - 10 hours ago

Dear Snowflakes of Twitter,

It’s come to our attention that there’s a LOT of disapproval floating around in the wake of USA 13-0 Thailand, so it only seems right to rebuke the following moans.

'USA should have stopped trying to score'

Behave, it’s the bloody World Cup! Imagine working your entire life to get through one-on-one (against an admittedly tiny goalkeeper) to go ‘nah, actually I think I’ll miss’. It’s ridiculous.

Any Americans out there who would prefer that approach? No worries, just support the men’s team instead.

USA Men are garbage

'Celebrating the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th goals was terrible sportsmanship'

So what if a young Thailand supporter was crying in the crowd? It’ll prepare them for the brutality of actual life. It could have been worse.

The Warm-Up once played in a Sunday League match, aged 11, where the opposition were told by their parents they wouldn’t be allowed their Easter Eggs unless they won by 10 goals. Imagine being so bad that: a) the opposition parents are openly slagging you off, and b) the referee (incidentally, their manager) refuses to blow the full-time whistle until they make it 12-2. Still hurts.

At least the USA had the decency to waste time by celebrating, as opposed to running the ball back to the centre circle. Every second spent wheeling away, high-fiving and needlessly bundling were precious seconds that they could have used to score more. They were helping Thailand if anything.

'Why add on injury time when the score is 13-0?'

Because we want 14, obvs. And there’s a tiny, tiny chance that goal difference will play a factor at the end of the group stage.

'It’s not a good advert for the women’s game'

It’s the BEST advert for the women’s game. Who hasn’t pencilled in the United States’ next game on their calendar* (v Chile on Sunday, 5pm UK time).

And what do you want the USA to do? Play worse to pretend the tournament doesn’t have gaping standards? It’s hardly a reflection on the entire tournament, which has been mostly competitive in the opening 12 games. Just accept that Thailand are garbage. It’s the one case where ‘our pub team would beat them’ is probably correct. But you would get similar treatment from Alex Morgan's crew, should your paths ever cross.

It’s worth remembering that when Tahiti qualified for the men’s Confederations Cup in 2013, they were battered 10-0, 8-0 and 6-1 in their three group games. No one was complaining about it being a bad advert for the men’s game – particularly because Fernando Torres still contrived to miss a penalty against the Oceanic minnows. Glorious times.

(*just kidding, it’s all about Thailand’s next annihilation – v Sweden on Sunday, 2pm)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.