Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

FIFA Women's World Cup 2019 (France).

Old 06-20-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: FIFA Women's World Cup 2019 (France).

Is it racist to say that about half of the players on Sweden's team look like the same person?

It's like an early FIFA game where they keep recycling the same player model and put them in a different number jersey.
Old 06-20-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Is it racist to say that about half of the players on Sweden's team look like the same person?

It's like an early FIFA game where they keep recycling the same player model and put them in a different number jersey.
All white people look alike to me
Old 06-22-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Very entertaining match between NOR and AUS. PK time.
Old 06-22-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boy, Lisa Marie Utland is quite the fast beauty. Australia did good holding off any goals in extra time despite having only 10 on the field. Let’s see how the pk shootout goes.
Old 06-22-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Letís see how the pk shootout goes.
Not well for Australia.
Old 06-22-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I felt bad for them, especially that first woman who kicked that pk from Australia. Missed the entire damn goal.
Old 06-22-19, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I felt bad for them, especially that first woman who kicked that pk from Australia. Missed the entire damn goal.
She is not just the any woman, but the best player in the world. Very disappointing match for her. Norway deserved to move on.
Old 06-23-19, 02:32 PM

VAR takes away a goal from France. Looked to me as it should have stood.
Old 06-23-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not surprising. VAR got it wrong as many times as it got it right. So when they announced VAR review on this goal, I went "watch, they'll screw this up", and sure enough...
Old 06-23-19, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Not surprising. VAR got it wrong as many times as it got it right. So when they announced VAR review on this goal, I went "watch, they'll screw this up", and sure enough...
Looked like they got the second call right though for Brasil's goal. I had it on my secondary set, so I didn't hear commentators.

Moving into second extra time period. PKs looming.
Old 06-23-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hard fought game between France and Brasil.
Old 06-23-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great stretch by Henry for the winner.

both teams had several opportunities down the stretch.
Old 06-23-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good job Les Bleus, well deserved.

I'll be in France next week and wanted to go to a game, but I'll be nowhere near where the remaining games are played. Oh well. I guess if France plays the US, I'll head to a bar/pub to watch it.
Old 06-24-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Alyssa Naeher is having a first half she would like to forget.
Old 06-24-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

2 PK's including a questionable one. Unimpressive.
Old 06-24-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep.

And Spain's goal was a gift from Naeher.

Ugly, chippy game.

Ellis should have gone to her bench much sooner.
Old 06-24-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The way this first half has played between Canada and Sweden, id suggest skipping the 2nd half and extra time and go straight to pens.
Old 06-24-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked up here in the 2nd half.

Sweden with a goal on the counter.

Pen for Canada on a Sweden handball.

and....Beckie's shot is saved. Why not Sinclair?
Old 06-24-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post

and....Beckie's shot is saved. Why not Sinclair?
This. Scoring goals is an issue, you basically have one experienced player who can score and you pick someone else for the PK...
Old 06-24-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This. Scoring goals is an issue, you basically have one experienced player who can score and you pick someone else for the PK...
Sinclair herself deferred from taking the penalty.

Old 06-24-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would agree, the 2nd one was soft. However spain's physical/aggressive play and numerous fouls had used up all benefit of the doubt, I think the ref had to call it at that point in the game.
Old 06-24-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Sinclair herself deferred from taking the penalty.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1143267608625582080
I heard that and even if it's true (I woudn't expect Sinclair to throw a teammate under the bus), Sinclair is not the coach. I also heard another ridiculous argument, they let Beckie take it because "she's the future, why not give her a shot". That's just dumb. You're in the world cup NOW, the future doesn't matter.
Old 06-24-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Totally missed the US game. I know it's played in France, but still it was played at 9 AM PT on a Monday morning. Nobody West of the Rockies who has a M-F regular-hour job could be watching that game.
Old 06-25-19, 08:47 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Naeher and Sauerbraun were horrific and amateurish in that mistake that gave Spain the goal.

That being said I thought Spain played very well and deserved more but as has been their issue all along - they cannot finish. They also radically changed their style of play. They were way more physical than normal. They actually played the game more like Canada and Sweden do against the US. They also completely shut down Rapinoe specifically but Heath a bit as well. Their 1v1 defending on the wings was excellent. While Rapinoe kept going at them the defender on that side kicked her a$$ and won the ball more times than Rapinoe got by her.

First PK - just call and correct.

Second PK - there was contact in the box. While light it was still contact. Should it have been a PK - maybe not but I have seen these called just as many times as I have seen them not called.

The number of fouls by Spain in this game were ridiculous and for them to only get 1 card even more. There was a full on studs up challenge on O'Hara in the second half that wasn't carded heck it wasn't even called a foul just a ball out on O'Hara instead. I do feel the ref let far too much go. While I like to let players play at some point you have to cut down on the rash challenges. And this is where Alex should have been protected. While she didn't play great today she got her a$$ beat for sure. I think it was a big mistake not playing her in game 2 against Chile at least for one half. She has lost any and all momentum from that first easy game.

I love Julie Ertz and feel like she is vital to the defensive side of MF and she is that X Factor that Abby was on any set piece but she Mewis and Lavelle do not work well together. Game 3 against Sweden Horan, Lavelle, and Mewis looked great and I would have stuck with that for Spain. Julie should have come in the second half for a defensive lock down.. I also really wanted to see Julie level someone, she is the US enforcer and she should have brought the hammer on somebody to send a message (17 - 5 in the foul department).

Carli - man not sure what to say or do about her. She needs to continue to be the off the bench super sub but she did nothing yesterday. As much as she thinks she is a full 90 min starter she isn't. Is she a central striker no but she doesn't have the juice to be a CAM either. She can get you goals but was wasteful against Sweden and absent yesterday.

Dunn - she will get exposed on Fri unfortunately and so will the MF unless they can get some sort of continuity going which they did not have yesterday. I love Crystal and how hard she works but she is not a LB. She has made the transition well but this is the World Cup. Last WC defense won it for us - defense is not going to win it for us this time. We will legit have to hope our offense can step it up and win it. I have very little confidence in our defense from GK on up.

I hope that France is still in a slump come Friday as they have looked just as bad if not worse than the US did yesterday. Something tells me one team is going to show up Friday and be leaps and bounds better. Hoping its the US but something tells me its France.

And Rob Stone you are the worst - first you whine like a little B about the goals against Thailand and then yesterday you claim that the crowd will be on the US side on Friday. What the hell are you smoking - does Fox Sports not do drug testing. Seriously US vs France in Paris in the World Cup and you think the crowd will be pro US - GTFO.

Last edited by GCS; 06-25-19 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-25-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Totally missed the US game. I know it's played in France, but still it was played at 9 AM PT on a Monday morning. Nobody West of the Rockies who has a M-F regular-hour job could be watching that game.
I was annoyed it wasn't on the national FOX network.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.