Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NBA Off-Season Thread

Old 04-23-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 NBA Off-Season Thread

Lakers are claiming that they had no knowledge of this while he was employed by them, so that's good, I guess.
Old 04-23-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kelli just had a press conference about 40 minutes ago.

She's getting absolutely hammered online. Probably 9 out of 10 of the comments are really nasty towards her. Most are calling her a lying gold digging slut and such. The live feed comments on Facebook are especially nasty.

Apparently the court documents leaked and that's why TMZ got them and leaked the story yesterday.
Old 04-23-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I wasn't trying to imply that it was that neat and tidy and everything is indeed connected. Like I said, I don't know her, so the Walton incident (if true), could have been 1 of many factors in her quitting her TV job abruptly and then disappearing for over a year.

I don't claim to understand women and the shit they go through, especially working in TV. But, I'm sure she probably concealed this due to fear of embarrassment and being labeled a number of nasty things by her colleagues and the media. Women in our industry deal with a lot of shit and many times they keep it to themselves. And being an attractive woman it's a hard enough task trying to gain any kind of credibility in sports TV. We don't know the exact timeline of when this incident happened, but I'm sure having to deal with Walton on a fairly regular basis after he was hired by the Lakers was a difficult and uncomfortable experience if her account was true, which could have been a factor for her quitting her TV job.

Again, I'm just speculating, but she's risking a lot coming forward with this kind of claim. Walton's attorney has already labeled her a lying opportunist.
Agree with all that you said, and don't know what to think, was just pointing out the timeline issues.
Old 04-24-19, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just took a look at OKC's team salary for next year and it looks like they'll have to field pretty much the same team that they have this year as they are way over the salary cap for 2019-2020.
Old 04-24-19, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kelli just had a press conference about 40 minutes ago.

She's getting absolutely hammered online. Probably 9 out of 10 of the comments are really nasty towards her. Most are calling her a lying gold digging slut and such. The live feed comments on Facebook are especially nasty.

Apparently the court documents leaked and that's why TMZ got them and leaked the story yesterday.
Gee, I wonder why she didnít speak up at the time.
Old 04-24-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What is the "gold digging" play here? And yeah had she brought this up in year one or two of his coaching career, when he was still well liked, (some) Lakers fans would've been even more defensive of Luke.

Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Just took a look at OKC's team salary for next year and it looks like they'll have to field pretty much the same team that they have this year as they are way over the salary cap for 2019-2020.
It's pretty startling that Paul George played like an MVP this year and this is still as high as they got as far as seeding and into the playoffs. They still have enough talent (assuming GS breaks up eventually), but Westbrook is going to have to change his game a lot, which I don't see happening. And they have to get more shooting, which it seems like they've always needed to add.

Old 04-24-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
What is the "gold digging" play here? And yeah had she brought this up in year one or two of his coaching career, when he was still well liked, (some) Lakers fans would've been even more defensive of Luke.
From the mostly nasty comments I saw yesterday, most were saying there's no proof and questioned why she didn't file a police report at the time.

Suing for monetary damages automatically makes people assume she's greedy and just seeking financial gain.

I already cited a few reasons yesterday why she probably kept this to herself. She's already taken a big hit her reputation coming forward with this kind of claim. Mostly negative. So really, seeking financial is the last thing on her mind when your reputation could potentially be ruined. She was very well liked and an up and coming sportscaster.
Old 04-25-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Way too young to have seen him play.

8 time champion and Finals M.V.P.:

Old 04-25-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was a wee Celtics fan during his last years. Too young to remember a lot, but do remember him on the court. One of the greats.

RIP Hondo.
Old 04-26-19, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a shame that today's pro sports network's don't show more of the older games so people could see the all-time greats play.

Today's pro sports networks only care about today's product because they can't make money on teams and players from the past.
Old 04-27-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Yeah all their worst contracts are like unmoveable and the highest paid,their good role players are actually on team friendly contracts. Hard to figure what they can do unless they can get 2-3 decent spot up 3 shooters on the cheap. Their problem isn't just Westbrook btwn the ears it is that they need guys who can get/hit open 3's and open up the floor for Westbrook and George
Old 04-27-19, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
It's a shame that today's pro sports network's don't show more of the older games so people could see the all-time greats play.

Today's pro sports networks only care about today's product because they can't make money on teams and players from the past.
It's less because of that and more that all the classic NBA stuff is pre-HD so looks like trash on modern tvs and networks don't want low quality video airing on their channels.
Old 05-03-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Monty Williams is Suns new coach.

Easy joke: I wonder who will be the coach next year after Williams is fired.
Old 05-03-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh, I guess it's Ty Lue to the Lakers then.
Old 05-03-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post

NBA Network shows a classic game every Thursday Night (when there is a TNT national game), since they are a parent company. They show old Dunk Contests, old All-Star Games, and classic games from the Jordan & Magic/Bird era. I don't know how far they can go back because they probably don't have as much footage from the 60's (I know that Wilt's 100 point game was not on Today as they only have the radio broadcast).
Old 05-03-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Ugh, I guess it's Ty Lue to the Lakers then.
He was sort of responsible for 4 straight NBA finals teams with LeBron, although only 1 win.
And he is a former Laker. He isn't the worst pick.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-03-19 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope. Jason Kidd would be the worst pick. I'm just not thrilled with Lue as a coach. But if LBJ likes and respects him, I guess it will be a better situation than this past season.
Old 05-03-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Lue is a decent coach, not a great one. But better than Kidd.
Old 05-03-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the people who don’t like Lue are those who think he just lets LeBron does what he wants and doesn’t actually do any coaching.
Old 05-06-19, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Letting Lebron do what he wants when he's the best player in the league,surrounded by very good players and focused on championships is great... not being an elite coach for a team that expects greatness and has an aging star who is now focused on producing everything in Hollywood (in addition to polarizing half the team with trade rumors) is apathetic and lazy.
Maybe they do sign a top FA this summer... I doubt it tough. I think NY is going to win the Davis sweepstakes in addition to landing Kyrie.
Old 05-08-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Lue is out. He declined the Lakers offer

Old 05-08-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 05-08-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most dysfunctional franchise in the league?
Old 05-08-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wouldn’t surprise me if the job goes to a newbie like Juwan Howard. He will probably gladly take the 3 year deal.
Old 05-08-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Woj reported a couple of days ago that the Lakers were ready to hire Monty and were surprised/shocked that he took the Suns offer, they never really considered that he would take it over them. And now Woj is saying that other than the salary issue (because the Cavs are paying him to stay home, if he doesn't make enough he might make even less actually working a job), there was bickering over the assistant coaches because the Lakers wanted Kidd as an assistant. Oh, and Rambis is apparently a huge voice.

Take all that with a grain of salt because Woj is basically a mouthpiece for agents at this point, but man, that doesn't paint a pretty picture. If you're going to overpay someone, overpay a coach, at least it won't count against the cap.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.