Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NBA Off-Season Thread

Old 08-03-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 NBA Off-Season Thread

Good for the Warriors. That's less than a Max deal for him, right?
That luxury tax bill will be enormous once that extension kicks in
Old 08-04-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Answering my own question above. The Draymond deal IS a Max deal, but with a caveat : It's the max that could offered right now. Had he waited until July 1, he could have signed a 4/$149 M deal with any team, a 5/$201M from the Warriors - - or if he won DPOY honors or Third Team All NBA a 5/$235M deal with the Warriors.
It's a little surprising for Draymond to take it. Part of the reason why is that basically all the contenders are capped out for 2020 so if he didn't go back to the Warriors he would have to be on a crappy team. I guess it gives him security after a couple of down years but still I just don't think he wouldn't have gotten a better deal in the off-season Good for the Warriors they keep a cornerstone of their franchise for under market value and if Draymond is happy, good for him as well
Old 08-04-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is not that many big names on the market for 2020 and it's possible even less will available by next summer, a few teams would have gladly overpayed Draymond. That said it's a win-win imo. Whatever money he lost by staying,he will make up for it in higher post career passive income by staying in that giant media market. Draymond a Warrior 4 life =more beloved in Silicon Valley then if he left after the season =More Post career high pay speaking engagements/free money in the area
Old 08-04-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Win win indeed. They get security and a lower deal then they might have been forced to pay, he gets security and the ability to stay on a top team. And the fact that it is a "max" deal means he can feel respected, he got the max deal that he felt he earned.
Old 08-05-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
There is not that many big names on the market for 2020 and it's possible even less will available by next summer, a few teams would have gladly overpayed Draymond. That said it's a win-win imo. Whatever money he lost by staying,he will make up for it in higher post career passive income by staying in that giant media market. Draymond a Warrior 4 life =more beloved in Silicon Valley then if he left after the season =More Post career high pay speaking engagements/free money in the area
It also should keep his playing legacy intact. Not that he considered this, but Draymond on the Warriors is a max player. I'm not sure he'd be as appreciated if he went to, say, the Suns or the Kings, and people would start to look at it as an extreme overpay. It's just fans loving stats and especially scoring as an indicator of a player's value, and underestimating the other stuff that players like Draymond give you.
Old 08-05-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like Vince Carter is re-signing with the Hawks for his 22nd season.

I would have never guessed he wanted to play this long, but great for him. He loves the game. Some people on the net have been clamoring for him to return to the Raptors for a farewell season. But, I think the Raptors have other things to worry about than bringing back a guy who hasn't played for them in 15 years.
Old 08-05-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Last year would have been a great year to have him back, from just a historical perspective.

He's been on the Jump a fair amount (though his cousin's been on it a lot more) and I always enjoy him on it so I think he has a career in broadcasting after. We'll see.
Old 08-05-19, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Last year would have been a great year to have him back, from just a historical perspective.

He's been on the Jump a fair amount (though his cousin's been on it a lot more) and I always enjoy him on it so I think he has a career in broadcasting after. We'll see.
I saw him on TV during this recent playoffs but I think another former Raptors Chris Bosh has a brighter future in broadcasting. Bosh was hired by the Canadian broadcaster TSN during the championship run and he was actually pretty good IMHO.
Old 08-05-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I saw him on TV during this recent playoffs but I think another former Raptors Chris Bosh has a brighter future in broadcasting. Bosh was hired by the Canadian broadcaster TSN during the championship run and he was actually pretty good IMHO.
Oh, Bosh is great too.

But anyone is better than Kendrick Perkins. I just can't get used to the way he talks.
Old 08-06-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm seeing that Washington signed IT while Wall is still out.
Old 08-14-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://clutchpoints.com/clippers-ne...top-assistant/

Clippers to hire Tyronn Lue as Doc Rivers' top assistant.
Old 08-14-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://clutchpoints.com/clippers-ne...top-assistant/

Clippers to hire Tyronn Lue as Doc Rivers' top assistant.
That's just a middle finger to the Lakers now.

Old 08-14-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love it. Now they just need to hire Walton for some random position.
Old 08-14-19, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How is someone else hiring Lue a middle finger to the Lakers? Aren't they the ones who wanted to foist Jason Kidd or whatever other bobos into the team's coaching staff? It was just that Lue did not want to go along with that but Vogal did so he got the job instead?
Old 08-14-19, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ View Post
How is someone else hiring Lue a middle finger to the Lakers? Aren't they the ones who wanted to foist Jason Kidd or whatever other bobos into the team's coaching staff? It was just that Lue did not want to go along with that but Vogal did so he got the job instead?
Okay, two things need to be said up front : 1) It is entirely the fault of the Lakers' incompetent front office management that Lue is not currently the team's head coach, and 2) having another team hire Lue as their new head coach isn't necessarily a middle finger to the Lakers at all.

In this case however, you are talking about a team that
  • Occupies the same building as the Lakers
  • Just rebuilt their team around two superstars who very recently demanded a trade TO the Lakers and then a year later spurned the Lakers when they hit Free Agency
  • Already have a Head Coach who was the last to beat the Lakers in a Finals series and has never wanted or needed such a high-profile assistant before.
  • Employ in their front office one of the greatest Lakers players ever and the architect of the last two great Lakers dynasties.

And they're hiring the guy who wouldn't agree to be the head coach of the Lakers with LeBron and AD (after celebrating his birthday with a Lakers-themed birthday cake no less) to be one of their Assistant Coaches? That is 100% an FU.
Old 08-15-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wojo just reported that Boogie has suffered a possible knew injury and will go for further testing in LA. That's terrible for him if it's long tern. The guy can't seem to shake the injury bug.
Old 08-15-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh!
Old 08-15-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Torn ACL is being reported now. Tough break.
Old 08-15-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just read about Boogie. That really sucks. The guy can’t seem to get a break.

on the other hand, he was a low risk investment by the Lakers.
Old 08-15-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a disaster. Poor guy. He's lost $100M or more easily and will never see a good contract again. Toughest health breaks for a superstar since Chris Bosh.
Old 08-15-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

2 major injuries and a torn quad in the last 3 seasons and he turns 30 soon. I feel bad for him. And his injury history is going to scare off many now.

I guess Javale McGee is now the guy in the middle again. Is there anyone decent out there who can play the 5 and back up Javale? If not, I guess they can do various smaller lineups and have AD play the 5 occasionally.
Old 08-15-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Along that line, does this injury open up a roster spot for the team? I don't know how that works if one of your roster players goes down for the year.
Old 08-15-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This tweet is from A month ago but apparently Marreese Speights, who ironically is also a former Warrior and a FA, worked out for the Lakers and other teams.

Maybe he could be an option to give them some depth with Boogie gone.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-15-19 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-15-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by djariya View Post
2 major injuries and a torn quad in the last 3 seasons and he turns 30 soon. I feel bad for him. And his injury history is going to scare off many now.

I guess javale mcgee is now the guy in the middle again. Is there anyone decent out there who can play the 5 and back up javale? If not, i guess they can do various smaller lineups and have ad play the 5 occasionally.
we want melo! We want melo!
Old 08-15-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ugh, fuck. Now confirmed.

Boogie’s career might be over too. If he even gets a job next year, it would probably be for a veterans minimum.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.