Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NBA Off-Season Thread

Old 04-14-19, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 2019 NBA Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
It's hard to believe Phil Jackson used to be balls deep into her, the lucky dog.
Old 04-15-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Kings hire Luke Walton
Boom, roasted.

Playoff bound next season! Go Kings!
Old 04-15-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has Lebron given any statement since Magic Johnson quit? Maybe I'm wrong and he has commented on the situation, but he seems awfully quiet since this went down last week?
Old 04-15-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just read that the Lakers plan to interview Juwan Howard.

I know they’re going to interview many more candidates, but they need an experienced coach. Not a first timer.
Old 04-15-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No qualified coach is going to take the Lakers gig while Lebron is there. He's going to have final say on everything... they might as well bring in his bagman - Tyron Lue - and call it a day.
Old 04-15-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Just read that the Lakers plan to interview Juwan Howard.

I know they’re going to interview many more candidates, but they need an experienced coach. Not a first timer.
Sedano was talking about Juwan a few weeks ago because it was heavily rumored then. I completely forgot Pelinka was riding the bench on that Fab Five Michigan team.
Old 04-15-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
No qualified coach is going to take the Lakers gig while Lebron is there. He's going to have final say on everything... they might as well bring in his bagman - Tyron Lue - and call it a day.
Agreed. The last thing a good coach wants is an over-the-hill LeBron who still acts like he owns the team.
Old 04-16-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Boogie out the rest of the playoffs, in a non contact injury during that horrifying loss yesterday. Man, the guy just can't catch a break, I'm curious to see what he's going to get now as far as contracts go. Watch the Lakers max him.
Old 04-16-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Boogie out the rest of the playoffs, in a non contact injury during that horrifying loss yesterday. Man, the guy just can't catch a break, I'm curious to see what he's going to get now as far as contracts go. Watch the Lakers max him.
I feel really bad for the guy. After 4 all-star appearances he finally gets to participate in the playoffs and is out 4 minutes into his 2nd game. I like watching the guy, so hope he makes a full recovery. Not sure if a quad tear would make teams gunshy about paying him or not.
Old 04-16-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

DeMarcus Cousins is a really talented guy, but man a quad tear shortly after a ruptured achilles. He's not getting a long-term max deal this offseason. If he's lucky he'll get another 1-year prove it deal.
Old 04-16-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And by the time he recovers, if he does recover, he'll be almost 30.
Old 04-22-19, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...422-story.html

Former sportscaster Kelli Tennant has sued Luke Walton for sexual assault, which allegedly occurred when he worked with the Warriors. He briefly worked at Spectrum Sportsnet with Tennant.

For those who aren't local in Los Angeles, she was a volleyball player at USC and worked in TV with Spectrum Sportsnet with the Lakers and Dodgers. She quit her job abruptly about a year or so ago.

This probably explains why she disappeared from social media for over a year and a half. Wow, if true this sucks. I always looked at him as a pretty stand up guy.

I worked with Kelli a few times when she called volleyball games. I don't know her personally, but she seemed nice and professional.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-22-19 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...422-story.html

Former sportscaster Kelli Tennant has sued Luke Walton for sexual assault, which allegedly occurred when he worked with the Warriors. He briefly worked at Spectrum Sportsnet with Tennant.

For those who aren't local in Los Angeles, she was a volleyball player at USC and worked in TV with Spectrum Sportsnet with the Lakers and Dodgers. She quit her job abruptly about a year or so ago.

This probably explains why she disappeared from social media for over a year and a half. Wow, if true this sucks. I always looked at him as a pretty stand up guy.

I worked with Kelli a few times when she called volleyball games. I don't know her personally, but she seemed nice and professional.
I was wondering why she wasn't on Sportsnet anymore.

Also I wonder if this is the smoking gun with Luke, or if this came out of the blue for the Lakers. I kind of doubt they had no idea this was coming, though.
Old 04-22-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a stunner.

There was a lot of rumbling about the time that Magic quit that a devastating story was coming from ESPN.com about the Lakers' Front Office and that was the real reason Magic quit. But this is something else, I guess ( and that article never came - at least not yet).
Old 04-22-19, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know Kelli personally other than working a few volleyball games which she was the color analyst. But, I don't think she has any reason to lie. She basically threw away her up and coming sports broadcasting career over a year ago and disappeared from social media. She was very well respected in the LA market. Her fans wondered what the hell happened. After she re-appeared, she attributed it to some kind of mental breakdown and health reasons. But, when you put the pieces together, it does seem like this alleged incident is connected. Plus the fact in the story it says that when Luke was hired as the Lakers coach it appeared to become a really uncomfortable experience for her from the alleged reports.

Now she does motivational speaking and occasionally calls beach volleyball. It's a he said, she thing at this point, but I can see how things that happened with her in the last year or so might lead people to think this incident could be connected.
Old 04-23-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Suns fire Kokoskov after one season. What a dumpster fire they are.
​​​​​​
Deftones, any local Intel/scuttlebutt?
Old 04-23-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know Kelli personally other than working a few volleyball games which she was the color analyst. But, I don't think she has any reason to lie. She basically threw away her up and coming sports broadcasting career over a year ago and disappeared from social media. She was very well respected in the LA market. Her fans wondered what the hell happened. After she re-appeared, she attributed it to some kind of mental breakdown and health reasons. But, when you put the pieces together, it does seem like this alleged incident is connected. Plus the fact in the story it says that when Luke was hired as the Lakers coach it appeared to become a really uncomfortable experience for her from the alleged reports.

Now she does motivational speaking and occasionally calls beach volleyball. It's a he said, she thing at this point, but I can see how things that happened with her in the last year or so might lead people to think this incident could be connected.
I obviously have no idea what if anything happened, but your post kind of implies that she left after the assault (possibly). Except the assault happened over 3 years ago. Drawing a connection to her disappearing from social media a year ago seems tenuous. Even if her departure is connected to Walton's hiring by the Lakers, that happened 3 years ago, not 1 year ago.

Edit: I'm not saying they can't be connected or saying I don't believe her, just pointing out that the timelines don't fit as neatly as your post implies.
Old 04-23-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
​​​​​​
Yeah, this was unbelievable to me. He must have had some friction with the front office or something because I can't imagine anyone thought the Suns were going to win games this season.
Old 04-23-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

​​​​​​
He wasn't in control of the team. Rumblings are that one of the assistant coaches had more authority than he did. Ownership disappointed in way Ayton was being developed. Long stretches where he wouldn't get the ball. He was not a good coach to develop young talent. Initially they had some good veteran leadership which they planned on leaning on, but they all got cut or traded, so the Suns became one of the youngest teams in the league.

But, this is all on Sarver. 15 yrs he has owned the team and we have had 9 coaches. It all starts at the top. He is a garbage owner.

Monty Williams is the name being thrown around as top candidate, but I would imagine he would have pick of most jobs.

Last edited by Deftones; 04-23-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I obviously have no idea what if anything happened, but your post kind of implies that she left after the assault (possibly). Except the assault happened over 3 years ago. Drawing a connection to her disappearing from social media a year ago seems tenuous. Even if her departure is connected to Walton's hiring by the Lakers, that happened 3 years ago, not 1 year ago.

Edit: I'm not saying they can't be connected or saying I don't believe her, just pointing out that the timelines don't fit as neatly as your post implies.
This has been big news here in Sacto. It doesnt seem like there will be proof one way or the other. I guess its will depend on if other women start popping up with the same story about Luke. The King's Coach Curse strikes again!
Old 04-23-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
He wasn't in control of the team. Rumblings are that one of the assistant coaches had more authority than he did. Ownership disappointed in way Ayton was being developed. Long stretches where he wouldn't get the ball. He was not a good coach to develop young talent. Initially they had some good veteran leadership which they planned on leaning on, but they all got cut or traded, so the Suns became one of the youngest teams in the league.

But, this is all on Sarver. 15 yrs he has owned the team and we have had 9 coaches. It all starts at the top. He is a garbage owner.

Monty Williams is the name being thrown around as top candidate, but I would imagine he would have pick of most jobs.
Thanks, that helps. Yeah, Sarver is terrible. Booker has had 5 coaches now in his career, I think.
Old 04-23-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, NBA teams are thirsty as hell for a dude with a .439 winning percentage. At least Ty Lue won a 'chip.
Old 04-23-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sources - Kidd interviewed for Lakers' vacancy

Jason Kidd has interviewed for the Lakers head coaching job.
Old 04-23-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wasn't trying to imply that it was that neat and tidy and everything is indeed connected. Like I said, I don't know her, so the Walton incident (if true), could have been 1 of many factors in her quitting her TV job abruptly and then disappearing for over a year.

I don't claim to understand women and the shit they go through, especially working in TV. But, I'm sure she probably concealed this due to fear of embarrassment and being labeled a number of nasty things by her colleagues and the media. Women in our industry deal with a lot of shit and many times they keep it to themselves. And being an attractive woman it's a hard enough task trying to gain any kind of credibility in sports TV. We don't know the exact timeline of when this incident happened, but I'm sure having to deal with Walton on a fairly regular basis after he was hired by the Lakers was a difficult and uncomfortable experience if her account was true, which could have been a factor for her quitting her TV job.

Again, I'm just speculating, but she's risking a lot coming forward with this kind of claim. Walton's attorney has already labeled her a lying opportunist.
Old 04-23-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

and my timeline was a little off from what I originally said. She actually quit her TV job and killed her social media accounts in late 2017. That was roughly a year after Walton joined the Lakers.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/04/2...kelli-tennant/

Tennant spent five years with the Time Warner and then Spectrum SportsNet networks, where she worked on baseball, basketball and soccer telecasts and studio shows. She left Spectrum SportsNet LA in the fall of 2017 and reportedly shut down her social media accounts for months. She eventually resurfaced with a job for Amazon Prime covering the Association of Volleyball Professionals tour and currently hosts a podcast called Ceremony Wellness in which she says she hopes to help people “heal physically and emotionally.”

She's already getting hammered on her social media accounts due to her accusations. It would not surprise me if she shuts them down again.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.