Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NBA Off-Season Thread

Old 04-10-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 NBA Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
They have a GM already, do they really need to replace Magic?
Yes. They need someone there with a little basketball management experience. Rob was an agent, and one that almost every GM hated (and most players as well). He was an awful hire from the Get-go. I hope they can convince David Griffin to go one more round with LeBron. They seemed to get along pretty well, and he's well liked-- and more importantly, well-respected in the NBA community.
Old 04-10-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yes. They need someone there with a little basketball management experience. Rob was an agent, and one that almost every GM hated (and most players as well). He was an awful hire from the Get-go. I hope they can convince David Griffin to go one more round with LeBron. They seemed to get along pretty well, and he's well liked-- and more importantly, well-respected in the NBA community.
ok, so the take is they need to can Rob Lowe and hire someone else. But they don't really need two hires, necessarily.
Old 04-10-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah they need an experienced NBA Executive who will fully dedicate himself to the job.

If they get that person, would not surprise me if Jeanie and Pelinka decide to part ways. It would be redundant to have those 2 position. Magic was not experienced, but he was a name and most players like and respect him. Pelinka was brought in mainly to work the numbers and handle the books and contracts, which is out of Magic's league.
Old 04-10-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Their biggest mistake was hiring a GM who also had no Front Office experience. Magic might have succeeded if he had an experienced GM who worked as an assistant under another successful GM before taking the Lakers job. Yes the Warriors hired an agent as their GM, but their team was already pretty well built, and was constructed under the watchful eye of the greatest NBA executive ever in Jerry West. You can't build a team from nothing with an office full of neophytes.
I wouldn't be surprised if Pelinka left after somebody like Griffin gets hired in a higher position, but for the sake of the appearance of stability, I doubt that would happen this off-season.
Old 04-10-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The really weird, destabilizing thing is, do they keep Luke at this point and hire a new President and GM? I doubt they can clean house of all three positions in an off season as important as this, where they desperately need to either do a deal or sign a significant free agent.

There is apparently an ESPN article coming out soon about Magic's dealing with his employees and rampant speculation is that that article might have played a part in this as well.

Just to further tick off all non Lakers fans: so if you could poach anyone for the President/GM positions, who would you poach (or hire, but the Lakers always seem to think they can get anyone they want)? I say get Riley. Or go down the hall and hire back Jerry West as whatever consultant job he wants, because the Clips are better than them even after trading their best players away and building for the future.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-10-19 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-10-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Their biggest mistake was hiring a GM who also had no Front Office experience. Magic might have succeeded if he had an experienced GM who worked as an assistant under another successful GM before taking the Lakers job.
I think the take of "Magic didn't succeed" or "he might have succeeded had he done something else" is wrong. The only real grade you can give him is "incomplete", not an F. And the reasons Magic is leaving are not related to having an inexperienced 2nd in command. I truly take him at his word, he didn't like the job, and wanted to go back to the guy everyone likes. It's not that he failed. Which is not to say that they didn't make some very odd moves, but they're still positioned quite well.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The really weird, destabilizing thing is, do they keep Luke at this point and hire a new President and GM? I doubt they can clean house of all three positions in an off season as important as this, where they desperately need to either do a deal or sign a significant free agent.

There is apparently an ESPN article coming out soon about Magic's dealing with his employees and rampant speculation is that that article might have played a part in this as well.
I think they totally can clean house so long as they make good hires of well respected people (coach and GM).

But that;s interesting re the article.
Old 04-10-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to further tick off all non Lakers fans: so if you could poach anyone for the President/GM positions, who would you poach (or hire, but the Lakers always seem to think they can get anyone they want)? I say get Riley. Or go down the hall and hire back Jerry West as whatever consultant job he wants, because the Clips are better than them even after trading their best players away and building for the future.
Riley or West are the obvious choices because of their Laker ties. But maybe RC Buford?
Old 04-10-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't give someone an incomplete if they quit, especially the way he quit without even telling his boss. I love Magic, but that's a fail.
Old 04-10-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't give someone an incomplete if they quit, especially the way he quit without even telling his boss. I love Magic, but that's a fail.
fair enough, it's certainly a fail if you were considering him for the job of GM. But the Lakers' record improved each of the last 2 years, they have Lebron and some good young players and cap space. It's not like he jumped ship from a team that was on a downward spiral.
Old 04-10-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
fair enough, it's certainly a fail if you were considering him for the job of GM. But the Lakers' record improved each of the last 2 years, they have Lebron and some good young players and cap space. It's not like he jumped ship from a team that was on a downward spiral.
They added Lebron James and added two wins. I realize injuries and tanking and Alex Caruso: starting PG and whatever, but still, I don't think anyone looks at this season as anything more than disappointing. The other thing is, didn't he promise the Finals or something like that within two years? He would've had to resign then anyway...
Old 04-10-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just hearing the news. Pretty gutless of him to do it publicly before talking to Jeanie in person.

I am laughing thinking about how badly Lavar Ball's head is exploding right now.
Old 04-10-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post

I am laughing thinking about how badly Lavar Ball's head is exploding right now.
Nobody thinks about Lavar but Laker-haters. He's totally irrelevant to the sport of basketball.
Old 04-10-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nobody thinks about Lavar but Laker-haters. He's totally irrelevant to the sport of basketball.
Oh, I know. I'll be glad when the media ignores him so I don't have to hear about him on ESPN damn near every day.
Old 04-10-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don’t wish injury on Lonzo Ball but find it kind of appropriate that they’re asking questions about whether his ankle problems might be related to his Big Baller shoes. Sounds like he’s done with them anyway.
Old 04-11-19, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Woj was on Dan Patrick Show yesterday talking about the Magic situation. He said Magic never committed to it as a full-time job and that eventually led to him quitting. And the Anthony Davis situation just blew up in his face as now they can't do anything til he is a Free Agent til 2020, and he said he doesn't even know if Davis would want to play in LA with a 35 year old Lebron now. He actually said the Clippers set themselves up as a great situation for Free Agents this summer (You guys know their cap situation better then me) as right now they might be the #1 LA destination, and Magic may have known that.
Old 04-11-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Divac fired Joerger. I guess he needed to remind everyone that they're still the Sacramento Kings.
Old 04-11-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Divac fired Joerger. I guess he needed to remind everyone that they're still the Sacramento Kings.

Old 04-12-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
She posed in Playboy in the mid 1990s. That's where that photo is from. Big deal. From what I recall no one made any big deal of it. Jeanie was and is still a very beautiful woman.
Just FYI:

Old 04-12-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

rumor is that he's looking at Luke Walton as a replacement.

exciting days yesterday here in sacramento with this news, lol. I never really liked Joerger that much because the way his eyes are always made him look like he was about to start crying or pouting.
Old 04-12-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
rumor is that he's looking at Luke Walton as a replacement.
Somebody in the Lakers' Front Office has to be brave enough to fire him first.

Edit : Hey he's gone!

Old 04-12-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the Pelicans are about to hire Griffin as their GM. That's like a double whammy to the Lakers, losing out on Griffin and the Pelicans getting a decent GM.
Old 04-12-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, not surprising the end result with Luke Walton leaving. Mutually agreeing to part ways as opposed to Jeanie or Rob canning him is a nicer way to leave the organization.

Sad that it didn't work out, but the end result is that if you don't win now, you're not going to be here for the long-term. They have him 3 years and the team slightly improved each year, but this year was a disaster with the injuries and chemistry issues. If they made the playoffs this season, he would still be in the plans for 2019-20.
Old 04-12-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post

Thanks for the correction. So Jeanie was in her late 30s when that SI photo was taken.
Old 04-13-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

D Rose's reaction in 2016 when he was traded from the Bulls:

I get it, the guy makes millions of dollars playing basketball, but man that was heartbreaking.
Old 04-13-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Kings hire Luke Walton

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.