Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NHL Off-Season Thread

Old 06-21-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season Thread

Here are the rest of the rules that will go into effect next season:
  • There is no longer a limit to coach’s challenges. However, there will be “escalated consequences” for losing them. Teams will be assessed a minor penalty for delay of game on a first unsuccessful challenge, and a double-minor for each additional failed challenge.
  • Referees will also be able to review high-sticking penalties and determine if their call on the ice was correct, and if the penalty was caused injury. The official’s reviews on high-stick/double-minor calls will be independently reviewed without the consent of the NHL Situation Room. It’s also not mandatory for the referee to review such a call.
  • If a player loses his helmet during live action, he must leave the ice immediately or “retrieve and replace” the helmet. That player will be allowed to make a play on the puck in a “reasonable amount of time” before exiting. Teams can be assessed a minor penalty if the player doesn’t comply. Minor penalties will also be assessed for roughing should a player remove another’s helmet during play.
  • Teams in the defensive zone will not be allowed a line change should a goalie freeze the puck from center ice, nor will that team get a line change should they unintentionally knock the net off its rings. The offensive team can also choose which dot to take the faceoff from.
  • Speaking of choosing which dot to take the faceoff from, teams can also choose that after icing and at the beginning of a power play.
  • If a goal post is displaced during a breakaway, the non-offending team will be given the goal.
  • If a puck goes out of play in the attacking zone, by way of the attacking team in all instances, the ensuing faceoff will take place at either dot in the zone.
Old 06-21-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, crazy number of players being drafted from the US development program.
Old 06-22-19, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't begin to claim to know anything about anyone drafted after Hughes, but apparently the Golden Knights hit it out of the park by drafting some kid center named Krebs. The Athletic's guy had him ranked #6 and the Knights got him at #17. I guess he has a partial Achilles tear which will set him back for a while (and doesn't sound at all good to me) but everyone I read says that it's just a minor setback and not a huge deal. Hope they're right because after trading away Suzuki and Branstrom (for Pacioretty and Stone -- I can live with those transactions), we were pretty thin with top-level prospects in the farm system.
Old 06-22-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-22-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man the Predators really wanted to dump that contract, didn't they. I'm not sad to see Subban leave the division though.
Old 06-22-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leafs managed to create some cap room by trading Marleau to Carolina. Had to give up a conditional 1st round pick in 2020 though. Rumor is the Hurricanes are going to buy Marleau out so he can sign elsewhere for much less, like say San Jose. Only way that can happen is he signs for the league minimum, given how many players the Sharks still have to sign. Would be sweet to have him for one more year though.
Old 06-22-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
Leafs managed to create some cap room by trading Marleau to Carolina. Had to give up a conditional 1st round pick in 2020 though. Rumor is the Hurricanes are going to buy Marleau out so he can sign elsewhere for much less, like say San Jose. Only way that can happen is he signs for the league minimum, given how many players the Sharks still have to sign. Would be sweet to have him for one more year though.
Really loved in his short time here.

Hope he finishes as a Shark.

edit:

From Kasperi Kapanen:

"I never thought I would have the honor to play with someone like Patty. The advice and guidance he gave me while I played with him is something that I will never forget. I am wishing all the best to you and your family. Thank you, you’re a legend."

Last edited by astrochimp; 06-22-19 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Here are the rest of the rules that will go into effect next season:
  • If a goal post is displaced during a breakaway, the non-offending team will be given the goal.
Is that how the NHL is wording that, because it's confusingly ambiguous. Is this if the goal is dislodged accidentally, purposefully, or both? Is this an "awarded goal", meaning the game is stopped, the non-offending team is credited with a goal, and we go back to center ice for a faceoff? If an attacker loses his balance while driving on the goal, falls, and dislodges the net does the DEFENDING team get credited with a goal?!? Is this ONLY if the non-offending team scores on the play, or in all cases? Or do they mean that the non-offending team gets to take the goal home with them and the offending team's goalie just stands there without a goal behind him to protect (lol)?
Old 06-24-19, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The 2019-2020 Cap is $81.5M -- $1.5 M less than predicted. Man the cap rules in the NHL are tough. Wondering how the Knights will get below the cap level. Don't know who is even in a position to take on salary at this point. Would be a sucky time to be a mid-tier Free Agent.
Old 06-25-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

William Karlsson signed an 8-year deal at $5.9 AAV. Knights are probably lucky he didn't follow up his 40+ goal season with another one or they would have had to pay out more. They're at $89 million at the moment. As I understand it, teams can be 10% over the cap during the off-season. Several players are going to have to be moved as Vegas also needs a backup goalie.

That extra 1.5 million sure would've been helpful. I think that could be the difference between the Sharks signing Marleau. I don't think there's enough room with the other more important players they need to sign.
Old 06-25-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it looks like everyone in the Golden Knights organization is happy to get him in under $6M/yr. The recently-done deals for other top-6 forwards were for more than that. Plus he's HUGELY popular out here, second only to Fleury.

So they have a semi-hard cap with a 10% window for wiggle room? That is a little better. Football has a hard cap but no guaranteed contracts, Basketball has guaranteed contracts but a soft cap. Baseball has guaranteed contracts and no cap. I was wondering how you could enforce a hard cap with guaranteed contracts. Seems like kind of a nightmare, especially with the number lower than expected.
I guess this cap is a big reason why recently dominant teams like the Blackhawks and Kings found themselves at the top of the Draft order this year.
Old 06-25-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The cap is the reason the Golden Knights started with a decent team unlike any other expansion clubs; the players the other teams left unprotected were all good talent but future cap hits. In expansions past, it was the real dregs of the league for the new clubs to pick through.
Old 06-26-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the biggest non-surprise of the off-season, the Blues and interim head coach Craig Berube ink a 3-year deal. Terms of the contract were not disclosed, but many insiders believe it involved money.
Old 06-26-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Blues also extended qualifying offers to nine of their eleven restricted free agents. Players that received qualifying offers are forwards Ivan Barbashev, Sammy Blais, Robby Fabbri, Zach Sanford and Oskar Sundqvist, defensemen Joel Edmundson and Mitch Reinke, and goaltenders Jordan Binnington and Ville Husso.

Blues UFAs include forwards Patrick Maroon and Chris Thorburn, defensemen Michael Del Zotto and Carl Gunnarson, and goaltender Jared Coreau.
Old 06-26-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
The cap is the reason the Golden Knights started with a decent team unlike any other expansion clubs; the players the other teams left unprotected were all good talent but future cap hits. In expansions past, it was the real dregs of the league for the new clubs to pick through.
Actually, the Knights benefited most from the revised protection rules that left better players exposed and fewer protected. I think the cap helped the Golden Knights' expansion draft in a different way : They were at $0 so they were able to take on bad contracts that were incentivized with better players.

The Columbus Blue Jackets traded their first-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft and David Clarkson in exchange for Vegas selecting William Karlsson. That's hilarious now of course but the absorption of Clarkson's salary part was what allowed that to happen.

The Anaheim Ducks traded Shea Theodore in exchange for Vegas selecting Clayton Stoner. Theodore was a prized prospect and was protected from the draft by their rules, but the Ducks didn't want the Knights to take one of their top defensemen so they struck this deal instead. Stoner never played, but Theodore will be a starter for years going forward.

The Florida Panthers traded Reilly Smith in exchange for Vegas selecting Jonathan Marchessault and a fourth-round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. This one was the best. Florida had buyer's regret after locking up Reilly Smith long-term at $5M/yr. They just threw him in there because they didn't want to pay Marchessault after he had a 30 goal season. Now those two along with Karlsson are the Knights' de-facto top line. And that's how you build a Cup contender from nothing.

Seattle won't have it so easy. Teams have learned from their mistakes and will probably just let Seattle pick a player instead of trying to get clever with side-deals.
Old 06-27-19, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Knights trade former second-line center Erik Haula who scored 29 goal in 17-18 and got badly injured this past season to the Hurricanes for 22 year old forward prospect Roy. They get pennies on the dollar but begin to excavate their way out of cap Hell. Sucks but better than trading away Karlsson.
Old 06-27-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-30-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Phil Kessel was traded to the Coyotes yesterday for Galchenyuk. A couple of minor leaguers were also swapped. Gives the Penguins a little more cap room. It's weird to see Arizona spending so much. Will they finally be competitive? Hopefully they get really good right when they're shipped to the Central
Old 06-30-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-01-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, that is the value of the entire salary cap this year.
Old 07-01-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It'll be weird seeing Pavelski and Perry playing for the Stars.
Old 07-01-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, the Captain is on the move

Old 07-01-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My NP's neighbor is on the move. Heart. Broken.

Old 07-01-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh captain, my captain.
Old 07-01-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.