Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

Old 05-22-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Spoiler:
Did NBC just realize this? This was accomplished back in 2001 when the Patriots/Rams completed the last piece of the puzzle.
Old 05-22-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just when you think this might be their year for the Sharks there is somebody that is always better than them.

The bucket list of seeing all the Bay Area Pro teams win a championship will be delayed again.
Old 05-23-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every Knights fan I talk to says the same thing...

Go Blues!

and itís not just because they knocked out the Sharks, but also because Knights alum Dave Perron is with the Blues now.
Old 05-23-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Did NBC just realize this? This was accomplished back in 2001 when the Patriots/Rams completed the last piece of the puzzle.
I wonder if NBC realizes the Blues were last in the league in early January. I'm not sure if they've mentioned that yet.
Old 05-24-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I wonder if NBC realizes the Blues were last in the league in early January. I'm not sure if they've mentioned that yet.
That's amazing that they dug themselves out of that hole and are in the Finals now. I live on the East Coast so I didn't get to see many Blues games during the regular season. Was the goalie change the difference that changed their season?
Old 05-26-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/kelly...al/c-307546018

john Kelly will be doing the play-by-play on kmox during the second period throughout the finals.
Old 05-27-19, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh. The Blues owned the first period and then played like garbage the rest of the way. They'll need to be much better than that in Game 2 or the Bruins are really going to smell blood.
Old 05-28-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Damfino View Post
Every Knights fan I talk to says the same thing...

Go Blues!

and itís not just because they knocked out the Sharks, but also because Knights alum Dave Perron is with the Blues now.
That's a funny phrase.... "Knights alum" Lol.

But welcome aboard anyway. Feels like it's everybody vs Boston, the wagon is getting a little crowded.
Old 05-28-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if NBC realizes that the Blues were 0-12 in Cup Final games in their history?

Never mind that their first three appearances were during their first three years of existence, back when the NHL expanded from 6 to 12 and stuck all of the crappy new teams in the same conference so that one of them would be sacrificed annually to an established, entrenched, Original Six team. But a loss is a loss, so let's keep reminding everyone. 0-13 now.

Frankly, I consider them to be 0-1 in the Cup Finals. This is their first appearance with a level playing field - no easy entry pass, and no huge disparity in talent waiting to make a mockery of the Finals. If they get swept this year, it's because the Bruins are better, not because the NHL jimmied the system to put a JV squad in the finals.
Old 05-28-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how the ratings will be in Canada for this Finals? With the success of the Raptors taking viewers away and the fact that there's no Canadian team, Rogers will be taking a loss again in their broadcast.
Old 05-28-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do the games ever go up against each other
Old 05-28-19, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Do the games ever go up against each other
I'm pretty sure the NHL and NBA set it up so the Finals don't compete night to night. Bettman used to work for the NBA (before taking over as NHL Commissioner) so he was good friends with David Stern. I can't remember when this started (I think when NBC got the hockey rights and ABC got the NBA rights), but they always set it up so each sport has their own night and don't compete for the next 2 weeks.
Old 05-28-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Blues played really well...

... for 21 minutes.
Old 05-28-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-28-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I wonder if NBC realizes that the Blues were 0-12 in Cup Final games in their history?

Never mind that their first three appearances were during their first three years of existence, back when the NHL expanded from 6 to 12 and stuck all of the crappy new teams in the same conference so that one of them would be sacrificed annually to an established, entrenched, Original Six team. But a loss is a loss, so let's keep reminding everyone. 0-13 now.

Frankly, I consider them to be 0-1 in the Cup Finals. This is their first appearance with a level playing field - no easy entry pass, and no huge disparity in talent waiting to make a mockery of the Finals. If they get swept this year, it's because the Bruins are better, not because the NHL jimmied the system to put a JV squad in the finals.
Old 05-28-19, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Kudos to anyone who is a Boston 4 for 4 fan, but I can't stomach this series cause the Bruins are probably going to win. You can call me jealous/envious, but no sports town deserves 13 championships in 19 years.
Old 05-28-19, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, the Bruins got this. The best the Blues are going to do is take it to 6 games, but I'm leaning towards the Bruins taking it in 5.

And with that Bruins win, the 4 game sweep leapfrog in this playoff branch spanning 3 series has ended.
Old 05-29-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-29-19, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Yea, the Bruins got this. The best the Blues are going to do is take it to 6 games, but I'm leaning towards the Bruins taking it in 5.
Okay!

Guess who just got tickets to Game 6?!?
Old 05-30-19, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right on Buzzy! Amazing game tonight. Completely beerworthy.

Gonna take some hockey playoff overtime max effort to beat the B's. I say let's play 7!
Old 05-30-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hell, I'll sing along with Laura today. The last thing we need is for already-smug Boston sports fans to celebrate a third championship in a year. The Celtics complied already, just need the Bruins to follow suit.
Old 05-30-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A hearing for the hit by Sundqvist? Come on!
Old 05-30-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I'm okay with the hearing. Not that Sundqvist did anything suspension-worthy, but any time a player ends up being hospitalized I would like the NHL to review it formally.

I admit my bias, but even with that I tend to agree with the broadcast personnel, the radio personnel, the folks on NHL Network, the folks on RSN, the folks on SportsNet... hell, even Don Cherry and everybody else - the injury Grzelcyk suffered was due in a large part to the position he put himself into. If he hadn't gone into the corner with his back turned it'd been a routine check. If he had been standing it'd been a routine check. But he turned his back and he slipped after Sundqvist had committed. That's it.

But yeah, I'm okay with there being a hearing, if only to confirm that the hit wasn't dirty.
Old 05-30-19, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
ridiculous.

I am still geeked about last nightís victory. So much awesome.
Old 05-30-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, I'll sing along with Laura today. The last thing we need is for already-smug Boston sports fans to celebrate a third championship in a year. The Celtics complied already, just need the Bruins to follow suit.
You have no idea what the struggle is like to wait weeks and weeks, and sometimes even months, for a championship parade!

The Blues are a tough team, and nobody gets to the finals by being lucky, but as a Bruins fan I would consider this a pretty crushing defeat if the B's lose this series, as I think they're the more talented team by almost any measure. And they got really lucky by having the best teams knocked out early in the playoffs. But, the games aren't played on paper, you have to show up.

I'm on the fence about the hit by Sundqvist. Maybe it wasn't an intent to injure, but Charlie McAvoy got a game suspension against Carolina for his hit to the head, and I would argue they were pretty comparable.

If the Blues can keep the Bruins top line down as they have so far, they'll have a good chance to win it all. But that's a big "if."

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.