Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Official 2019 College Basketball Off-Season and Coaching Carousel Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Official 2019 College Basketball Off-Season and Coaching Carousel Thread

Old 04-08-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Official 2019 College Basketball Off-Season and Coaching Carousel Thread

Don't you think if a truly top-tier job opened up (like Duke or UNC in a few years) and they gave him a significant raise, he would take it? I mean he's in a good place for himself right now, but I think there's a ceiling with the Zags that just isn't there with a Blue Blood program and to be considered an all-time coach, he'll have to win it all. Not that the Zags can't, but I'm sure that a lot of top-level talent won't go there because they'll never be on National TV but for a few times in the Fall tournaments and then in March. Imagine if he could recruit the Zions and Anthony Davises of the world.
Old 04-08-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Barnes takes the UCLA job at $5M/yr. Of course he does.
Old 04-09-19, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Barnes takes the UCLA job at $5M/yr. Of course he does.
And no he doesn't. Stays at Rocky Top. Man UCLA is looking bad during this process . Wow that is a lot of $$$ to turn down from an allegedly Blue Blood program
Old 04-09-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And no he doesn't. Stays at Rocky Top. Man UCLA is looking bad during this process . Wow that is a lot of $$$ to turn down from an allegedly Blue Blood program
Southern California is poisonous!
Old 04-09-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mick Cronin takes the UCLA money to leave UC.
Old 04-09-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Mick Cronin takes the UCLA money to leave UC.
6 years, $24M. So same money as Izzo, Williams, Self, Wright, Huggins.
Old 04-09-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't you think if a truly top-tier job opened up (like Duke or UNC in a few years) and they gave him a significant raise, he would take it?
Maybe. But there are really only a handful of those "truly top-tier" jobs that it would make sense for Few to consider and I just don't see him being a prime candidate for them at this point. There are way too many Coach K disciples (Hurley, Dawkins, Amaker, to name a few) who would be at the front of the line for the Duke job (not to mention the AD's son). At UNC, someone younger with ties to the school, such as Wes Miller or Hubert Davis, seem like they would be the likely front-runners. Calipari looks like he'll be at Kentucky for several more decades at this point. I'm not sure there are any other jobs Few should even give a second thought to. Maybe Kansas, but personally I think they're on the next tier down.

Add in the fact that Few has lived in the Pacific Northwest his entire life and seems to be very much entrenched in that region of the country, so all of those East Coast schools are a hard sell in that regard.

Old 04-09-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Maybe Kansas, but personally I think they're on the next tier down.
Them's fightin' words.
Old 04-09-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe. But there are really only a handful of those "truly top-tier" jobs that it would make sense for Few to consider and I just don't see him being a prime candidate for them at this point. There are way too many Coach K disciples (Hurley, Dawkins, Amaker, to name a few) who would be at the front of the line for the Duke job (not to mention the AD's son). At UNC, someone younger with ties to the school, such as Wes Miller or Hubert Davis, seem like they would be the likely front-runners. Calipari looks like he'll be at Kentucky for several more decades at this point. I'm not sure there are any other jobs Few should even give a second thought to. Maybe Kansas, but personally I think they're on the next tier down.

Add in the fact that Few has lived in the Pacific Northwest his entire life and seems to be very much entrenched in that region of the country, so all of those East Coast schools are a hard sell in that regard.
I believe that Hubert Davis will be given every opportunity to win the job when Roy steps down. UNC for better or worse stays in the family for coaching hires.
Old 04-10-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Them's fightin' words.
Sorry. My irrational dislike of Kansas probably colors that opinion a little too much. Objectively, Kansas is one of the top 5 coaching gigs in college basketball. I just see it as a slight step down from those big three I mentioned before.
Old 05-13-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk God

John Beilein is leaving Michigan to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers. That's a head-scratcher. Big blow to Michigan.
Old 05-13-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

$1.78M is more money than he needs to be comfortable in Spokane. A higher salary would be good for the ego but thatís about it.
Old 05-14-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/...ostseason-ban/

Apparently UCLA could be ruled ineligible for the NCAA tournament due to having the worst Academic scores in the conference.
Old 05-21-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Juwan Howard will be named Michigan head coach

Old 05-21-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's cool actually. Good for them.
Old 05-22-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm underwhelmed by the Howard hire. We're losing one of the best college coaches in the game and our greatest coach of all time at Michigan, and are replacing him with a former player who has never been a head coach at any level, never coached in college, and never recruited anyone. Maybe it will work out, but I feel like we should be able to do better than that for a program that has been to 2 national title games in recent years and has brand new facilities. Now I'm not one of those idiots who say you could get Jay Wright from Villanova or something like that, but you could definitely get someone with a great record who is ready to move up from a mid-major or something like that.

They didn't even interview anyone who doesn't already have connections to the program or the athletic director.
Old 05-24-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kansas' and their forward Silvio De Sousa have won his appeal against the NCAA who levied a two-year ban against him for a $2500 payment that a "booster" had made to his guardian -- something he wasn't aware of.
I'm very happy for him. He was getting railroaded.

Jayhawks' De Sousa wins appeal, eligible to play
Old 05-28-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No. 5 top 2019 prospect RJ Hampton has decided to play pro ball in New Zealand this Fall and become the first top US HS prospect to choose to go play foreign basketball instead of playing for a NCAA one-and-done year. Figures, as KU was one of his three finalist schools.
Old 06-22-19, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Since basketball, men's and women's, is paramount at UConn, this is as good a place as any to post this.

UConn expected to rejoin Big East:
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ejoin-big-east

Looks like starting in the fall of 2020. So sick of the realignment nonsense, but good for UConn. That's where they belong, football be damned.
Old 06-22-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So their football team will have no conference? That is super-weird. I wanted U Conn and Cincy to join the Big XII and actually get to 12 schools. That could have worked. Without U Conn the AAC will be completely irrelevant as a conference.