ESPN: Tim Donaghy fixed NBA games

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-21-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 220 Likes on 175 Posts

How former ref Tim Donaghy conspired to fix NBA games

Donaghy had admitted to betting on games before and while most people thought he fixed them as well (especially Sacramento fans), this is the first I can remember of there being some kind of proof. The article is long but really deserves a read. There were hundreds of millions of dollars made on this by organized crime. David Stern adamantly denied that a ref could fix games like this, and a federal investigation turned up nothing, but this looks pretty damning.

Donaghy calling two fouls 50 seconds apart against the 76ers' leading scorer, Andre Iguodala, in the third quarter against Boston, with the score's margin right on the spread. Iguodala heading to the bench; Boston covering the spread ... Donaghy in Seattle, the Sonics hosting the Mavericks, calling 11 straight fouls against Seattle as well as the last foul of the night, with 23 seconds to go. Dallas making both free throws, increasing its lead to eight. The closing line: Dallas by 8 ... Donaghy on New Year's Day in Charlotte calling 14 fouls against the Bobcats, five against the Timberwolves; the Wolves covering ...
Old 02-21-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Re: ESPN: Tim Donaghy fixed NBA games

From the article, it sounds like he didn't start fixing games until 2003... so after that Lakers/Kings series

But yeah, it's an interesting read and not all too crazy that he could easily swing a few points by calling fouls one way or another to cover spreads.
Old 02-21-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't think he was even working that series, but considering the NBA found out he was betting on games and they still adamantly refused that he was able to fix them... this basically opens the door to making every game or series affected by reffing suspect.

Dude got pennies on the dollar to do this too.
Old 02-21-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a bridge in New York to sell you, if you believe Donaghy is the only NBA ref that was ever fixing games. People just don't remember how bad of a place the NBA was in before Magic/Bird/Jordan came along. There were games I watched in the 1990s that had to have been fixed.

It really does make you wonder why Michael Jordan mysteriously left basketball at the height of his career to play baseball. The innuendo may be right.
Old 02-21-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Seeing facts is cool and all but I don't think anyone doubted for a second that he was fixing games.
Old 02-21-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
It really does make you wonder why Michael Jordan mysteriously left basketball at the height of his career to play baseball. The innuendo may be right.
No, it really doesn't. At least not for me. His dad got murdered and it broke him. He lost the desire to play at the highest level. That doesn't seem more plausible to you than a mysterious betting scandal that hasn't been uncovered in a quarter-century since which forced Jordan out of basketball but allowed him to return two years later and even allowed him to become a team owner after retirement?
Old 02-21-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, doesn't change anything for me regards to Jordan. I know there's always rumors that he was gone for 2 years because of gambling, but there's never been anything substantial to that other then talk as far as I know.

Of course, PhantomStranger also seemed to believe the NBA modified the size of the hoop and ball in another thread which also seems ridiculous to me, so maybe he just likes the conspiracy theories
Old 02-21-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The NBA is the only sport I know where a team would finish winning 22 games and still have a winning home record.
Old 02-21-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
The NBA is the only sport I know where a team would finish winning 22 games and still have a winning home record.
what team was that?

and more importantly, what's your point?
Old 02-21-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Given that NHL seasons are also 82 games long (41 home / 41 away) , it is also mathematically possible there.

Old 02-21-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts

It's also possible in the NFL if you have a prefect season and a perfect preseason.
Old 02-22-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That Kings/Lakers playoff was so fixed that I stopped watching basketball afterwards for about 15 years
Old 02-22-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Of course, PhantomStranger also seemed to believe the NBA modified the size of the hoop and ball in another thread which also seems ridiculous to me, so maybe he just likes the conspiracy theories
Mere fractions of an inch on the hoop's diameter would fundamentally change outside shooting percentages and fans would never know. Changing the ball is less likely, but any outside shooter that has played at the higher levels will tell you it's infinitely easier shooting with the women's smaller basketball.

Old 02-22-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mere fractions of an inch on the hoop's diameter would fundamentally change outside shooting percentages and fans would never know. Changing the ball is less likely, but any outside shooter that has played at the higher levels will tell you it's infinitely easier shooting with the women's smaller basketball.
except the players would know. Remember, basketball hoops don't exist for NBA players solely on NBA courts. You don't think they would notice the difference between the hoops in the arenas vs the hoops in every other gym they play in? If it happened, and even if the NBA could somehow keep everyone involved silent, eventually the players would figure it out. They're gym rats. They'd notice for the same reason they notice the slightly smaller ball.
Old 02-22-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Of course he fixed games. We don't need an article or investigation to tell us this.
Old 02-23-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
except the players would know. Remember, basketball hoops don't exist for NBA players solely on NBA courts. You don't think they would notice the difference between the hoops in the arenas vs the hoops in every other gym they play in? If it happened, and even if the NBA could somehow keep everyone involved silent, eventually the players would figure it out. They're gym rats. They'd notice for the same reason they notice the slightly smaller ball.
Yeah, not to mention arena workers, equipment managers, etc. that are all around the equipment.

Seemed like a pretty wild accusation to pull out of your ass.
Old 02-23-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Weird that ESPN worked so hard on this. I guess maybe with legalized sports gambling in more states, it figured for a good story.

I think almost all of this was covered in Sean Patrick Griffins' book "Gaming the Game."
Old 02-23-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah-ESPN is such an NBA ass kisser.

Can't remember the last time something about the NBA wasn't featured on the front page of their website.

How is a ref fixing NBA games no different than teams putting out sub par teams and tanking on purpose?
Old 02-23-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How is a ref fixing NBA games no different than teams putting out sub par teams and tanking on purpose?
seriously?
Old 02-23-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
seriously?
He doesn't understand the difference between fixing and tanking. Or is willfully blind. But he's negative about everything in sports. Yet wants more football leagues.

Tanking is when everyone knows it and is obvious - and there is a clear purpose to all for it. As in, I'm all for the Orioles and Redskins tanking in 2019. When they have no hope in the present season.

Fixing is when a very select few have the power (w/o knowledge to the public) to influence a single game result. .

Last edited by Red Dog; 02-23-19 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-23-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah-ESPN is such an NBA ass kisser.

Can't remember the last time something about the NBA wasn't featured on the front page of their website.

Old 02-23-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
It's funny. If anything, this isn't ass-kissing the NBA. NBA doesn't want this, particularly when they seem to welcome betting action now. Ted Leonsis is basically all about it and trying to promote it.
Old 02-23-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
It's funny. If anything, this isn't ass-kissing the NBA. NBA doesn't want this, particularly when they seem to welcome betting action now. Ted Leonsis is basically all about it and trying to promote it.
Yeah Its shocking that ESPN would write something negative about the NBA.
Old 02-24-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
He doesn't understand the difference between fixing and tanking. Or is willfully blind. But he's negative about everything in sports. Yet wants more football leagues.

Tanking is when everyone knows it and is obvious - and there is a clear purpose to all for it. As in, I'm all for the Orioles and Redskins tanking in 2019. When they have no hope in the present season.

Fixing is when a very select few have the power (w/o knowledge to the public) to influence a single game result. .
Not only that, but tanking is making your team weak (like you say, everyone knows) but the players on the court still try to win.
Old 02-26-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a grievance or something issued by a player or team... granted for a player that would probably mean getting blackballed by the NBA, since they refuse to acknowledge even the possibility of their refs fixing games, and guys like Vlade and Webber work for the league or teams, but man if I were a player and I got screwed out of a championship because of this, I'd be upset. If they had, Webber would've been in the Hall easily already.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.