Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

2018 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LIII - February 3rd, 2019

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who will win Super Bowl LIII?
Predicting the Patriots and rooting for the Patriots
15.38%
Predicting the Patriots but rooting for the Rams
35.90%
Predicting the Patriots but don't care who wins
7.69%
Predicting the Rams and rooting for the Rams
17.95%
Predicting the Rams but rooting for the Patriots
0%
Predicting the Rams but don't care who wins
2.56%
I'll be watching but I don't care for either team
7.69%
I won't be watching
12.82%
I'll watch for the commercials
0%
I'll watch for the Halftime Show
0%
I'll watch for the Commercials and Halftime Show
0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

2018 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LIII - February 3rd, 2019

Old 01-22-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 2018 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LIII - February 3rd, 2019

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I like how angry people get when Tom Brady is successful, so go Pats.
Its the system that makes him so great. Granted he is a really good QB but not the GOAT.

Old 01-22-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
go Rams... just to see more of Mcvays wife or girlfriend or whatever
Veronika Khomyn

Old 01-22-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
So bad it would become the most watched SB ever!
I hope the earth gets hit with a huge asteroid and it is the end of civilization as we know it if that happens.

Old 01-24-19, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rooting for Rams, but as always, the Patriots are in familiar territory

Asked my coworker today if she ever met Goff, since she went to Cal during the same time as him. She said she met him once in the dining commons, when her friend accidentally stabbed him with a fork (on his arm) when they both grabbed the utensils. But she said he was nice about it.

Could have messed up his career
Old 01-24-19, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I never knew this until I saw this feature at work. This guy Ted Rath is the Rams "Get Back" coach. It's his job to grab McVay's hips/waist and keep him from bumping into players and the refs during the game.

This feature is pretty funny. Only 1 minute.
Old 01-24-19, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2nd straight year I will not watch the Super Bowl. I can no longer tolerate the smugness of the Patriots.
Its no longer FUN watching football because of NE.

If the RAMS win then I will watch the replay on the NFL Network.

Last edited by will travel; 01-24-19 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-24-19, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting. Romo about his own commentating:

Well, here is what he (Romo) had to say when asked about how into it he was in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s game:

“I’m excited just like everybody at home. This is such a big deal. I want to talk about people who do great things. I love when people are able to do something special, and I want to communicate to people and let them know. I don’t know, you study the game, you love it so much, and you just kind of get into it as it’s going. You know, when you’re talking and the game is going the way it is at the end, you don’t really think about, I don’t want to say the viewers, the fans. I think more than anything, you’re almost like just talking to your friends right next to you, like, ‘Oh, look at what he’s got. I don’t believe he just did that.’ It’s just kind of comes out of you a little bit I guess.”

Just like with the rest of us. Just his has more depth.

And why his wife Candice told us a few years back on Talkin’ Cowboys how Tony would have family and friends over after home games to re-watch the game as he basically broke down each play for them.
If you watch 'A Football Life: Tony Romo', it also shows how obsessed with every little detail Romo was.

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-24-19 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-24-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 01-24-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
So bad it would become the most watched SB ever!
I never thought it mattered who played in the Superbowl simply because most people have parties (it is a National Holiday at this point) and most casual fans could care less who's playing. I attend a party of the same friends/family every year (with their wives and some parents) and there is maybe 3-4 of us who really care about the game, and the rest of the people care more about the commercials and just have conversations during the game except in the 4th quarter if it's close.
Old 01-24-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TONY ROMO is a fraud!
around the 28th minute
Mason and Ireland (Hr 1) - ESPN Los Angeles
Old 01-24-19, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

^^ I'm not installing flash to play that, what's it say?
Old 01-25-19, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The big question will the Pats mascot be ready for the game?

He is in the hospital with injuries

Old 01-25-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I never thought it mattered who played in the Superbowl simply because most people have parties (it is a National Holiday at this point)...
My curiosity was piqued by this assertion and would have guessed that you were quite wrong here about the "most" part. It turns out that you are indeed wrong, but only barely:

https://geomarketing.com/handicappin...re-visits-rise

Looking at the NRF’s overview in advance of this Sunday’s game, of the 76 percent of those surveyed who plan to watch the Super Bowl, 82 percent say they will purchase food and beverages — up slightly from 80 percent last year — and the highest in the survey’s history.

According to the NRF survey, 18 percent (45 million) will host a Super Bowl party, with 28 percent (69 million) planning to attend one. Bars and restaurants will entice 5 percent (11 million) planning to watch at their favorite local spot.
So 46% of viewers will either host or attend a party with another 5% in a bar or restaurant. I would have guessed that the 46% was more like 25%, so I was way off. Part of my reasoning for guessing that the number would be much lower is the fact that the game is on a Sunday night. Honestly, that is the main reason why I have not attended an SB party in years other than when I have been stuck on business travel during the game (twice in the past five years). Almost the moment the trophy is handed to the winning team, I shut the TV off and go to bed for work the next day. A second reason is that I want to watch and hear the game, not be stuffed four to the couch in someone else's house while 5-6 people carry on conversations around me, so any large party I would be likely to avoid anyway.
Old 01-25-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I may turn on the Pro Bowl this weekend, but I don't think I'll make a point to watch the Super Bowl this year. I've read online stories saying that the NFL wanted a Patriots vs. Rams Super Bowl for the ratings. Does anyone believe the Chiefs and Saints would have lower ratings because KC and New Orleans are smaller markets? It was the matchup everyone wanted instead.
Old 01-25-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk God

The ratings angle is pretty over-blown. The NFL is the one league that doesn't need to worry about the matchup. All the other leagues pray for the marquee/big market teams in the title game and even then, it's no guarantee for a good rating (see Sox-Dodgers this past year).

Now who is going to suffer for the matchup - the secondary ticket market between the been-there-done-that Pats and a Rams team with questionable fandom (and a x-country trip to boot).
Old 01-25-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
So 46% of viewers will either host or attend a party with another 5% in a bar or restaurant. I would have guessed that the 46% was more like 25%, so I was way off. Part of my reasoning for guessing that the number would be much lower is the fact that the game is on a Sunday night. Honestly, that is the main reason why I have not attended an SB party in years other than when I have been stuck on business travel during the game (twice in the past five years). Almost the moment the trophy is handed to the winning team, I shut the TV off and go to bed for work the next day. A second reason is that I want to watch and hear the game, not be stuffed four to the couch in someone else's house while 5-6 people carry on conversations around me, so any large party I would be likely to avoid anyway.
I've said it so many times - the SB would be so awesome on a Saturday night.

The party/bar factor is why the rating for the SB is so bogus. They have no way of accuratly measuring viewership. If I was a Nielsen home, it would show I haven't watched the Super Bowl in years.
Old 01-25-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, I don't think ratings are too big a concern for the NFL with regards to the Super Bowl. The ratings are generally going to be within the same range regardless of who's playing - maybe with the possible exception of Jacksonville.

At this point the NFL probably would've preferred the Patriots didn't play just to keep things more interesting. However, I'm sure they love the Rams playing in it because of the size of the LA market and to re-establish football in LA altogether - since the Chargers will need some help.
Old 01-25-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
However, I'm sure they love the Rams playing in it because of the size of the LA market and to re-establish football in LA altogether - since the Chargers will need some help.
That's a good point.
Old 01-25-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 01-25-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There you go, New Orleans. It's been taken care of. See you next season.
Old 01-25-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I've said it so many times - the SB would be so awesome on a Saturday night.

The party/bar factor is why the rating for the SB is so bogus. They have no way of accuratly measuring viewership. If I was a Nielsen home, it would show I haven't watched the Super Bowl in years.
Saturday night Superbowl is a fantastic idea. I hate having work the next day.
Old 01-25-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fined 26k but is going to make 250k just for showing up to the SB.
Old 01-25-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do people remember the Super Bowls before the Patriots' dynasty? We kept getting Super Bowl blow-out after Super Bowl blow-out, which made the event far less exciting most of the time. The games were over by half and became routs. Many of those games in the 80s and 90s were complete duds.

All the Patriots' Super Bowl appearances under Brady have been close and exciting games. I imagine the NFL is keen on them for that very reason.
Old 01-25-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It helps there is a parity and no dominant teams anymore so you get close games.

A Sat Super Bowl is not one of my concerns but they eliminated 10am Sun games and maybe put those on Sat after 1pm Pacific I would be ok with that.

I don't care if there is a conflict with college football.
Old 01-25-19, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
The city of LA didn't win that Super Bowl... the Rams were in St. Louis. Look closely - I said "city", not "franchise".
But I was wrong anyway, since I forgot the Raiders were in LA the last time they won the SB - not in Oakland.
Ah! I get it. A teams can win titles even if they're in different cities... like Raiders did in LA for Super Bowl XVIII but in Oakland for XI and XV, and like the Rams did in Cleveland in 1945, in LA in 1951, and in St Louis in Super Bowl XXXIV.

Or teams can even move and change names but win a championship for their franchise, like the Washington Senators did when they won the World Series in 1924, then again in 1987 and 1991 but in Minnesota as the Twins. And even if another team called the Senators comes along to play in Washington after the first team has left, that new Senators team is a distinct entity, so when they eventually move to Dallas and become the Texas Rangers, the AL Pennants they win (2010 and 2011) aren't mixed in with the AL Pennants won by the first Senators or the Twins.... because even though they have the same name in the same city, they're two completely different teams with different players, ownership, management, etc... the only thing they shared were the words "Washington" and "Senators", and possibly uniforms and logos, right?

And then there are teams that win stuff, change cities, win more stuff, change their name, wins even more stuff.... like division championships won by the Baltimore Bullets (1971, 1972, 1973), Capital Bullets (1974), Washington Bullets (1975, 1979), and Washington Wizards (2017) ... those all belong to the same team, regardless of their name or city at the time, right?

The "cities" win championships when a team that's there win one, but the "team" wins a championship and keeps it with them regardless of their moves or name changes, even if another team comes along behind them and uses the same name in the same city, right?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.