Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 Tennis Thread

Old 01-10-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2019 Tennis Thread

Big news today...Andy Murray is going to retire this year, citing chronic pain. He hopes to make it to Wimbledon, which would be his final tournament.
Old 01-10-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 Tennis Thread

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Big news today...Andy Murray is going to retire this year, citing chronic pain. He hopes to make it to Wimbledon, which would be his final tournament.
Yup, its pretty clearly time. Sir Andy is loaded, will easily be able to make a nice income after tennis, and has a growing family. Three majors, two Wimbledon titles (ton include ending the drought) and two gold medals, yeah, you're good.
Old 01-11-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AO might be his last tournament. Hip injuries/surgeries are murder for tennis players, see Guga Kuerten and Magnus Norman (and players like Nalbandian and Hewitt were never the same after their hip injuries/issues).Haas made a decent comeback after his hip surgery in 2010 but he's the exception.

Sad to see Andy like this, I feel for him:

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-11-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a sad day and hard to believe that Andy Murray is the first of the Big Four to hit retirement. He was an extreme grinder when it came to training and always carried as much muscle as anyone on tour. I think that finally caught up to him when he made that final push to become #1 in the world. I wish him the best in retirement.

This is a blow to tennis because Andy is a good guy and was easy to root for. I was happy when he finally won a major and snagged Wimbledon.

Tennis at the highest levels of the ATP tour is more demanding on the body than just about any sport, outside of the NFL. Outside of Federer, it's hard to think of a top player that didn't break down at some point. Djokovic, Nadal and Murray have all had major injuries. I think we've been lucky that Nadal and Djokovic were able to come back from their injuries.
Old 01-12-19, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

Tennis at the highest levels of the ATP tour is more demanding on the body than just about any sport, outside of the NFL.
MMA at the very least belongs with those two sports, if not higher.