Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 Tennis Thread

Old 06-05-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 Tennis Thread

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

As for the French Open and this clay court season in general, it's a travesty they don't allow Hawkeye to determine boundary calls. Tennis Channel's commentators this entire season have been pointing out all the missed calls by not using Hawkeye on clay.

Old 06-05-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just read this and it sounds really strange but it's true. The last time Rafa beat Fed, Djokovic "only" had 6 slams. Of course none of those wins by Fed were on clay. But still, I went WHATTTTTTTTTTTT???
Old 06-06-19, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I just read this and it sounds really strange but it's true. The last time Rafa beat Fed, Djokovic "only" had 6 slams. Of course none of those wins by Fed were on clay. But still, I went WHATTTTTTTTTTTT???
Yeah, had to look that one up since it is so surprising. I will add another "*" to that stat. They have not even effectively played one another since 2017 Shanghai. They didn't play at all in 2018 and the one "win" by Federer this year was a walkover. Fed is 0-5 against Nadal in Paris and has never once even gotten into a fifth set. OTOH, their last meeting at the French was eight years ago.
Old 06-06-19, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dammit, missed both women's QF matches live as they adjusted the schedule last night. They were supposed to start at 8:00 AM EDT and they shifted them to 5:00 AM. The schedule change is understandable, obviously, but they could have done it a little sooner.

Both results were surprising, most especially the Halep match.

Ash Barty is having a great year. She had never made it past the 4th round of a major until this year and only even made it to the 16s once. Now she has her first QF appearance in Melbourne and now her first semi. As for Anisimova, the magnitude of this for her needs no explanation.

Old 06-06-19, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Weren't all the matches from yesterday rained out?
Old 06-06-19, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Weren't all the matches from yesterday rained out?
Yup. Yesterday's matches were scheduled to start at 2:00 PM local (8:00 AM EDT). The original schedule they posted for today was to just shift yesterday's matches to today, starting at the same time.

It looks like the reason for the shift was so that they could squeeze the men's doubles semis onto the show courts after the men's singles QFs are played.
Old 06-06-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Yup, which is why they shifted the schedule I imagine. Yesterday's matches were scheduled to start at 2:00 PM local (8:00 AM EDT). The original schedule they posted for today was to just shift yesterday's matches to today, starting at the same time.
Ah, gotcha. Did they do anything regarding the men's semis set for Friday? Or are those still set to play at regular time?
Old 06-06-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Ah, gotcha. Did they do anything regarding the men's semis set for Friday? Or are those still set to play at regular time?
The men's semis are scheduled back to back on center court beginning at 6:50 AM EDT. The women's semis are scheduled at 5:00 AM, oddly enough, on court 1 and court 2.

That said, if the forecast holds, tomorrow is going to be a mess. Rain chances are very high throughout most of the day and the winds will be 15mph+ as well. This is probably why they shifted one of the womens semis to court 2 so they have three courts to work with instead of 2. That makes it easy for them to find weather windows to get both women's semis in at some point, but it does make it seem unlikely that they can complete both men's semis if one or both run long. They may ultimately shift one of them (Djoko/Zverev vs. Thiem/Khachanov) to court 1 on short notice as soon as the Barty/Anisimova semi is done.
Old 06-06-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Men's semis: 1, 2, 3 ,4
Women's semis: 8, 26, unseeded, unseeded

Sounds about right.
Old 06-06-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw someone make this observation today. Since Anisimova is only 17 and playing quite well, the women may get their first Grand Slam champion who was born in the 2000s before the men even get one who was born in the 1990s.
Old 06-06-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anisimova is going to be the face of women's tennis over the next decade, you better get used to hearing her name.
The queen has arrived. Anisimova dismantled Halep on Halep's best surface.

Old 06-06-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Talented, but I'm not going to get excited about a "Queen du jour" until I see an end to "8, 26, unseeded, unseeded" in the WTA.
Old 06-07-19, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The queen has arrived. Anisimova dismantled Halep on Halep's best surface.
Yeah, except her name is Ash Barty. I hadn't realized how good she was playing until I watched the re-air of her match against Keys last night. She would have trashed Halep also and she is indeed already off to a strong start against Anisimova this morning.

Honestly, I am always skeptical about any player that "breaks out" at the French, even for power players like Barty or Konta (or even Anisimova). The list of players, most especially women, who have won a French and never won another Slam is long and distinguished.
Old 06-07-19, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Plot twist! Down 5-0 and set points and she comes back to take the first set.
Old 06-07-19, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

LOL, Konta. Pathetic choke.
Old 06-07-19, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ends up being Barty after all. Amanda was cool, calm and collected when she was down in the first set but it was pretty obvious that the wind and weather was increasingly getting under her skin as the match went on. You could see the lack of faith she had in her shots on her face that last set and a half. She also started going to the dropshot well much, much too often.
Old 06-07-19, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't realize today was the 10 year anniversary of Fed's 1 French Open win. How appropriate it falls on the day he has probably the last opportunity to beat Nadal at the FO
Old 06-07-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Predictable.

The ridiculous winds aside, looks like the FO may luck out on the rain after all. They were very close to calling a rain delay in the third set of the Barty/Anismova match so it was surprising that they completed the Nafal/Fed match without one. Heck, the sun was even out of much of it. I feel sorry for those poor ballkids that have to spend much of the match crouched by the net. I'm sure they are swallowing a lot of terre battue dust.
Old 06-07-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Yep. I watched the first set and knew it was over then.

Nadal was bet up to 1-9 odds.
Old 06-07-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The first two sets were competitive, but while "heaviness" is the enemy of topspin, wind is the enemy of precision. Doesn't really matter though, Fed would have lost anyway. Which again is no big deal since everybody expected it. And for a guy who hadn't played clay since 2015, he must be pretty happy to make a semi. His decision to play on clay this year was the right one.

And Queen Anisimova lost to a cricket player.
Old 06-07-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Play called with Djoker and Thiem tied 1 set all, Thiem up a break in the 3rd.

Thiem was leading 6-2, 3-6, 3-1 when play was halted. About 45 minutes later, officials announced the match would resume Saturday. That means whoever wins would be competing for a fourth day in a row in the final against a well-rested Nadal.
Old 06-07-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was not only stupid to suspend the Djokovic-Thiem match, but apparently, according to Eurosports and others, Djokovic stormed off the premises BEFORE the decision to suspend the match was made.

Courier on Djokovic: "There is no way he would disrespect the tournament and leave before he knew, he probably just knew before we did."

Well I hope so because otherwise, he should be defaulted.

Old 06-07-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing I hate more than playing in the wind is watching high-level matches in wind. The Djokovic match wasn't tennis, but an uphill struggle to see which gust of wind would win the rally.

I've always thought matches should be suspended in severe wind. The play becomes a different sport.

I'm guessing Nadal is now a huge favorite to win it all.
Old 06-07-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Ends up being Barty after all. Amanda was cool, calm and collected when she was down in the first set but it was pretty obvious that the wind and weather was increasingly getting under her skin as the match went on. You could see the lack of faith she had in her shots on her face that last set and a half. She also started going to the dropshot well much, much too often.
Barty is currently one of the hottest players on the WTA, but I'm almost positive she's just another flash in the pan.

Amanda would have had a much better chance under normal weather conditions.

Old 06-07-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, if they had simply moved Djoko/Thiem over to Lenglen at the completion of the women's match there (or scheduled it that way to begin with), it would have started only shortly after the Nadal/Fed match and it would be done. It was immensely stupid of them (not to mention a wee bit sexist) to queue the men's semis instead of just playing them concurrently. Less than ideal, obviously, but the weather has been less than ideal and having one of your finalists have to play a large chunk of a match, perhaps 2+ sets, the day before the final while the other gets to rest is much, much less than ideal.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.