Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 Tennis Thread

Old 06-03-19, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 Tennis Thread

So Kenin's magic coach turned back into a pumpkin against Ash Barty, who seemed to come out with a very good gameplan for beating her. No doubt she and her coach had been studying that Serena match carefully.

Kind of a surprising statistic: no matter who wins the remaining two women's round of 16 matches, the only quarterfinalist in common between the Australian Open and the French Open will be Ash Barty. In all fairness, the men will have, at most, three, but two of those will be the very predictable Nadal and Djokovic, along with the fairly unsurprising Nishikori.
Old 06-03-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
As much as it is easy to assume the worst based on her history of selfish behavior, I doubt Serena did anything wrong here. The FO has already come out and taken the blame on this, and I think they are mostly being truthful. Serena's upset was by far the biggest FO news story of the day, after all. Also, keep in mind that the players are required to do these post-match press briefings. I suspect that very few of them actually enjoy doing them. Here is my guess:

1. They told Serena they wanted to put her in press room 1 but that she would have to wait since Thiem was in there.
2. Serena said that she didn't want to wait and that they should just use the smaller press room 2.
3. The FO officials, knowing that room 2 was probably too small for the number of reporters, kicked Thiem out of 1 and put Serena in there.
4. Someone tells Thiem that "Serena didn't want to wait", which was true but highly misleading, leading to his comments about her after the fact.

It seems highly implausible that Serena would want to answer questions from as many reporters as possible about her unexpected loss.
At this stage, it's a bit like Trump, I don't really care what the real story is. Right or wrong, she found herself in the middle of yet another controversial story. I mean you can blame the media, twitter, etc... but there's this benefit of the doubt thing, and as far as I'm concerned it no longer applies to her. Perhaps that's not fair, but she brought it upon herself.
Old 06-03-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This story is much ado about nothing,they have moved less famous players pressers to smaller rooms to accomodate Fedal and Djoker before.
Old 06-03-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, but watching this will definitely make you dumber.

Old 06-04-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You would have figured that Tennis Channel would have shown more than two points (one each from each set), and both on tape delay, from the Sloane Stephens match. I know she was playing at the same time as Federer but she is, you know, an American and a Grand Slam champion at that. She was also playing on Philippe Chatrier, the largest court. There is no way in hell TC would have shown almost none of the match had it had been Serena playing.
Old 06-04-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That Wawrinka/Tsitsipas match was amazing. Gonna have to avoid parts of the internet to not spoil today's lineup.
Old 06-04-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You would have figured that Tennis Channel would have shown more than two points (one each from each set), and both on tape delay, from the Sloane Stephens match. I know she was playing at the same time as Federer but she is, you know, an American and a Grand Slam champion at that. She was also playing on Philippe Chatrier, the largest court. There is no way in hell TC would have shown almost none of the match had it had been Serena playing.
They showed it here on TSN but I was watching Fed. I checked during commercials but it looked like a beatdown.
Old 06-04-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
They showed it here on TSN but I was watching Fed. I checked during commercials but it looked like a beatdown.
I could have streamed it on Tennis Channel Plus if I paid $100/year for a subscription. I even checked a bootleg stream site that I know about and it was down this morning. Yeah, the result was surprising. Here in the U.S. I don't think they have shown any Konta coverage at all so far. The main reason I wanted to watch this match was because I had been hearing how well Jo was playing. I guess the silver lining is that I will now get another chance. I'm sure both semis will be aired more or less in their entirety. I imagine the U.S. TV draw for Konta vs. Martic/Vondrousova is going to be very poor.

When NBC does their coverage, they will probably break away to re-air footage of old Serena matches or show video of her eating a bowl of cereal or something. It's too bad for NBC that Bud Collins died. They could have shown him in an ugly suit touring Parisian bakeries and talking about Serena's favorite flavors of macarons from Ladurée.
Old 06-04-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For crying out loud...

Rafa incredible overhead shot vs Nishikori

Old 06-04-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I could have streamed it on Tennis Channel Plus if I paid $100/year for a subscription. I even checked a bootleg stream site that I know about and it was down this morning. Yeah, the result was surprising. Here in the U.S. I don't think they have shown any Konta coverage at all so far. The main reason I wanted to watch this match was because I had been hearing how well Jo was playing. I guess the silver lining is that I will now get another chance. I'm sure both semis will be aired more or less in their entirety. I imagine the U.S. TV draw for Konta vs. Martic/Vondrousova is going to be very poor.

When NBC does their coverage, they will probably break away to re-air footage of old Serena matches or show video of her eating a bowl of cereal or something. It's too bad for NBC that Bud Collins died. They could have shown him in an ugly suit touring Parisian bakeries and talking about Serena's favorite flavors of macarons from Ladurée.
You don't have to sell me on crappy US coverage.

I just started watching Vondrusova/Martic at 7-6, 5-2 and what do you know it's now 5-5 in the 2nd.
Old 06-04-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's the old Jimmy Connors skyhook!
Old 06-04-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tennis Channel wants you to sign up for TC+. I've noticed them going more and more towards keeping entire matches off the main channel. Honestly, it's probably for the best. I've never liked channels switching between matches unless they were compelling reasons.
Old 06-04-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Tennis Channel wants you to sign up for TC+. I've noticed them going more and more towards keeping entire matches off the main channel. Honestly, it's probably for the best. I've never liked channels switching between matches unless they were compelling reasons.
Are you old enough to remember when HBO had weekday Wimbledon coverage? They used to do a masterful job of switching between matches, especially during the first week when so much was going on. I have never seen anyone do such a good job since. For a few years there, Wimbledon was one of the primary reasons why I used to continue to pay for HBO even when I really couldn't afford it.
Old 06-04-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
You don't have to sell me on crappy US coverage.

I just started watching Vondrusova/Martic at 7-6, 5-2 and what do you know it's now 5-5 in the 2nd.
Watched most of it. Kudos to Vondrousova, reaching a slam semi at 19. That said, she is going to get shellacked by Konta.
Old 06-04-19, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-04-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched most of it. Kudos to Vondrousova, reaching a slam semi at 19. That said, she is going to get shellacked by Konta.
Probably, but Konta had never won a French Open match before this year. It's a little odd that she's gone that far.
Old 06-05-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like a very cool (low/mid 60s), rain-soaked day in Paris. Based on the hourly forecast, I think they will get some tennis played today but the odds of them being able to complete both men's matches before dark are not looking good.
Old 06-05-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The French Open continues to show the world what an absolute garbage tournament it really is. Get a fucking roof already. Even without the roof the scheduling and organization is just pure trash.

Whoever comes out alive in the remaining QFs are already at a huge disadvantage v. Rafa (assuming he gets by Fed - which he will) because of these bone-headed people running this trash of a slam.
Old 06-05-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just noticed that play has been canceled for the day altogether. I had mute on my feed so I didn't hear that part.

Shouldn't be a huge disadvantage for the affected players. They'll have a quick turnaround between the quarters and the semi (especially for the women), but the rest between the semi and the final will be the same for everyone. Also, the forecast for tomorrow is cool and overcast with minimal chance of rain, so it should be a little less taxing for their bodies. However, the current forecast for Friday is rain and wind, so the schedule might be screwed up again.
Old 06-05-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker View Post
The French Open continues to show the world what an absolute garbage tournament it really is. Get a fucking roof already. Even without the roof the scheduling and organization is just pure trash.

Whoever comes out alive in the remaining QFs are already at a huge disadvantage v. Rafa (assuming he gets by Fed - which he will) because of these bone-headed people running this trash of a slam.
Woah, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!
Old 06-05-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just noticed that play has been canceled for the day altogether. I had mute on my feed so I didn't hear that part.

Shouldn't be a huge disadvantage for the affected players. They'll have a quick turnaround between the quarters and the semi (especially for the women), but the rest between the semi and the final will be the same for everyone. Also, the forecast for tomorrow is cool and overcast with minimal chance of rain, so it should be a little less taxing for their bodies. However, the current forecast for Friday is rain and wind, so the schedule might be screwed up again.
Well "shoudn't be" depends on how the matches go, especially for the men. If these quarters end up being 4-5 hour wars, then it becomes "will be" a huge disadvantage.
Old 06-05-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It would be hilarious if nearly 38 year old Fed managed to finally beat Nadal at the French Open. Wishful thinking, I know
Old 06-05-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ha. Evidence that Fed doesn't age. How old is Stan in this pic, 17 or 18?
Old 06-05-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you old enough to remember when HBO had weekday Wimbledon coverage? They used to do a masterful job of switching between matches, especially during the first week when so much was going on. I have never seen anyone do such a good job since. For a few years there, Wimbledon was one of the primary reasons why I used to continue to pay for HBO even when I really couldn't afford it.
Old enough, but we didn't have HBO at the time. As budgets have been cut in television, coverage quality has gone down the tubes. Was it DirecTV that once carried like eight channels of Slam coverage all at once? I vaguely remember that in the 2000s.

As for the French Open and this clay court season in general, it's a travesty they don't allow Hawkeye to determine boundary calls. Tennis Channel's commentators this entire season have been pointing out all the missed calls by not using Hawkeye on clay.
Old 06-05-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
It would be hilarious if nearly 38 year old Fed managed to finally beat Nadal at the French Open. Wishful thinking, I know
Maybe he'll get help from the Gods. Friday forecast is cool and damp, and "heaviness" is the enemy of topspin.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.