Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 Tennis Thread

Old 03-27-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2019 Tennis Thread

To be fair to Young, the hype when he was coming up was warranted. He's still the youngest ever #1 ranked junior in the world (16 years old).

I think Young's downfall was the inability to develop enough power (which Felix seemingly has plenty of). It's extremely difficult to reach the top of today's game as a finesse/feel type player.
Old 03-27-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah you're right. Success in juniors doesn't guarantee success in the pros. Canada's Filip Peliwo was a top junior and won Wimbledon's Juniors (1st slam title by a Canadian male at any level) in 2012, the day after Bouchard won the girl's juniors. At 25, he's still playing Challengers. His biggest problem? He's barely 5'10". He never projected to do well in the pros.
Old 03-27-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And Denis beat Tsitsipas 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(3) in a thriller. So we have two young Canadians in the quarters!
Old 03-27-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is interesting. There have been 19 ATP tournaments so far this year with 19 different winners. Sounds like the WTA.

And I think Fed will lose to Medvedev. He's won more matches than any other player this year and is red hot.
Old 03-27-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And... I predict wrong. Fed 6-4, 6-2
Old 03-27-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
To be fair to Young, the hype when he was coming up was warranted. He's still the youngest ever #1 ranked junior in the world (16 years old).

I think Young's downfall was the inability to develop enough power (which Felix seemingly has plenty of). It's extremely difficult to reach the top of today's game as a finesse/feel type player.
I think the USTA blames Young's family around him as holding back his game and development. Me personally, I think he more or less achieved what his talents were. Young just wasn't that athletic compared to the top 30 on tour - he's slow and lumbering for his height.

One thing I think where the USTA has utterly failed is on the physical training side - European players are more fit as a cohort than the average American player (ranked and juniors) at just about every age range. You can't be out of tennis shape to win on the clay courts the Euros grow up playing. Too many of the younger Americans (pretty much anyone under 30) can't physically compete in grueling matches, even on hardcourts. Jack Sock would have been a perennial top-ten player if he wasn't out of shape all the time. Whatever training advice they are handing out to the juniors, it's not working at all.
Old 03-27-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And down goes #11 Coric to Felix, 7-6, 6-2. He's now in the semis against Isner. He's played 5 top 20 players so far this year and he's 5-0. I know he's good but this is unreal for an 18 y/o.

Denis plays Tiafoe so we could have 2 Canadians in the semis of a Masters 1000.
Old 03-28-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
And down goes #11 Coric to Felix, 7-6, 6-2. He's now in the semis against Isner. He's played 5 top 20 players so far this year and he's 5-0. I know he's good but this is unreal for an 18 y/o.

Denis plays Tiafoe so we could have 2 Canadians in the semis of a Masters 1000.
Looking like our best year ever in tennis.
Old 03-28-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Looking like our best year ever in tennis.
Well the future certainly looks bright for Canadian tennis.

Felix working on his brand already, I'm ready for a hat/cap:

Old 03-28-19, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Denis over Tiafoe in 3! Two Canucks in the semis, that must be a first!

And I should have known not to judge Fed's form just on the Albot match. After dispatching red hot Medvedev rather easily, he just put a beatdown on Anderson 6-0, 6-4.

Edited: MilosRaonic beat VasekPospisil in the Citi Open final in Washington, D.C. 5 years ago. but that ain't no Masters.
Old 03-29-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Isner beats Felix 7-6, 7-6. But Felix served for the set each time and got broken. Actually he broke himself at 5-4 in the 1st set with 3 double faults. Nerves and growing pains.

Last edited by eXcentris; 03-29-19 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-29-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Miami is just about the best surface for Isner's serve. I'll say this, Isner has improved in all phases of the game. He's far more reliable these days from the ground and has somehow become more fit in his 30s. His ranking in the top ten isn't a fluke. He's playing at his ceiling this moment.

He would have been a top #3-5 player back in the 1990s when courts were faster.
Old 03-29-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not just the surface that helps Isner. Miami and Indian Wells are the only non Slams that go 2 weeks,cause of his size he get's fatigued at best of 5 in Slams,and in other Master's events no off days works against him.
Old 03-30-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Big John, but despite improving off the ground, it's still pretty much tie breaks or die, even against an 18 y/o (granted, an uber talented one). His chances against Fed are slim to none, i.e. pray for tie breaks because he sure as heck ain't gonna break him.
Old 03-31-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

#101 for Fed.

Although he says it's not on his mind, Connor's 109 seems attainable.
Old 04-20-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After Djokovic losing to Medvedev, Rafa just got thumped by Fognini in their semi 6-4, 6-2. He was up 3-1 in the 1st, but then lost 11 of the last 14 games. And the bizarro final will be... Fognini vs Dusan Lajovic!
Old 04-20-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Djoker looks like he has lost his fire again like he did post-career grand slam, and half of last year. Curiously, the man speculated to have been partly the cause of Djoker's decline, Pepe Imaz, was in Djoker's box in his recent match.
Meanwhile, temperamental Italian Fognini completely dominates the King of Clay and now has to face a Serb in the Final - though not the one we expected. If history repeats itself, the person who defeats one of the Big Four will go on to lose their next match (as has been the case countless times in the past, as well as today with Medvedev falling after beating Djoker).
The clay swing is indeed off to an interesting start.
Old 04-21-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Many think that Djokovic no longer cares about non-Slam events, even Master 1000s. He's got a family now with kids. I'm sure the laser focus on winning every tournament is more or less over from him.

His legacy will be defined with how many Slams he wins. He's gunning for Federer's total from reports.
Old 04-21-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, if he's gunning for Fed's total with this alleged "I only care about slams" mentality, he's gonna fail miserably. Winning boosts confidence which produces more winning. You can't just turn it on when you feel like it's worth it. Regardless, his chances are slim to none. I believe this will be a transition year in tennis and the big 3 era is drawing to a close.
Old 04-22-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Well, if he's gunning for Fed's total with this alleged "I only care about slams" mentality, he's gonna fail miserably. Winning boosts confidence which produces more winning. You can't just turn it on when you feel like it's worth it. Regardless, his chances are slim to none. I believe this will be a transition year in tennis and the big 3 era is drawing to a close.
LOL @ "his chances are slim to none."

Never say never with the 3 GOATs. People never thought Federer would keep winning slams after his decline a few years ago. Same with Nadal. Djoker is the youngest of the bunch but plays a more strenuous style that could lead to injury. Despite that, it truly is laughable to suggest his chances are slim to none. It's not the like the "next next gen" is suddenly going to take over. The original next gen fizzled out before they were worth a damn and this current generation - although promising - isn't suddenly going to start winning all the slams. Even at one slam a year for the next three puts Djoker within striking range - assuming Federer is done winning, which he probably isn't either.
Old 04-22-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Never say ever with the 3 GOATS", is the problem with your argument. Everybody declines, including GOATS. It's historically extremely hard to win slams after 30. Actually, it's extremely hard to win slams period. But because these 3 guys have won so many slams, and fans are so used to seeing them win, they seem to believe this will continue indefinitely. It won't. Things can change very quickly in sports.

I stand by what I said. Djokovic might catch Rafa, but his chances of catching Fed are slim to none. I'll happily eat crow in the extremely unlikely event that I'm wrong.
Old 04-22-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Djokovic will be a major Slam threat on any hard court for the next five years. His days of winning the French and Wimbledon may be over.

I don't think Nadal is unbeatable anymore on clay as the injuries mount.
Old 04-26-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Djokovic is 32 (in May), 5 years gets him into Federer territory and I'm not sure we can just apply the "Fed standard" to anyone else considering how, historically, players have struggled after 30. Fed is the exception. However, players are fitter and physically stronger than in the past, so success past 30 could become the norm. So for Djokovic, it's hard to predict. Could be 5, could be 2-3. Questions to me are:

- Is Djokovic's style of play conducive to longevity? Advantage Fed.
- Does Djokovic share the same passion for the sport? I don't know, but if he does it's not as obvious.
- How about his family? Fed has no issues with travelling with a wife and 4 kids, but said wife is a former tennis player acting like a field General who takes care of everything.

In a word, the perfect storm has aligned to support Fed's longevity. It's questionable whether it can/will for Djokovic.
Old 04-28-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thiem wins Barcelona. His semi against Rafa was a high quality affair (6-4, 6-4). Rafa lost but he's starting to play much better. As a "confidence player", if he wins Madrid (less likely) or Rome (more likely), he should be good to go for RG. But Thiem is legit, and there's Djokovic. Interesting times.
Old 05-08-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gracias Ferru!

Such an easy guy to root for, I hope they translate his speech, he had everybody crying including me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.