Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 Tennis Thread

Old 01-25-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 Tennis Thread

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I'll probably watch, hoping for a repeat of the epic 2012, 6 hour final. I was leaning Rafa's way but Novak was flawless against Pouille (24 winners and... 5 UE's). When both seem in top form, I have to pick Novak.
Agreed. They both look spectacular so far this tournament from what I have seen. Hopefully an injury doesn't decide the match. I do genuinely look forward to watching the highlights.
Old 01-25-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't wait for this final. Lots of enticing subplots to discuss. Hoping for a Djoker win only to see The Big Three rightfully be the big three when it comes to slam count.
Old 01-25-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pulling for Rafa. Would be cool to be the first Open Era men's player (and only 3rd all-time) to be a multiple time champ of each Slam.
Old 01-25-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Nadal is going to beat Djokovic on a hard court Slam final, now is the time. Nadal is serving big by his own standards and looks to have favorably altered his tactics for the hard courts. It's always so hard gauging Djokovic's level of play, early in Slams. He admitted to Serbian media he only plays like 60% capacity before the final rounds of a Slam. He demoralized Pouille after only one or two games in the first set so badly that the Frenchman mentally checked out.

I expect nothing less than a very close fifth set to decide the AO with a small edge to Djokovic. It will come down to how Djokovic is serving.
Old 01-26-19, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Osaka taking control. 3 games away from the Championship.
Old 01-26-19, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kvitova rallies from the brink of elimination to take a 6-5 lead in set 2. Very interesting match so far.
Old 01-26-19, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Osaka unraveling as she double faults to lose Set 2. Petra trying to do to Osaka what she did to Serena.
Old 01-26-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And the new No. 1 ranked Women's tennis player in the world is...Naomi Osaka!

Great match. Osaka looked very flustered at the end of Set 2 after blowing several opportunities to close out the gritty Kvitoa.

Then she loses the 1st game of Set 3, but manages to regain her composure and contain her emotions and take control after that.
Old 01-26-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who's STOKED for this match?! Gotta watch it live - frickin' in the wee hours of the night.
Old 01-27-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Have just looked at the score so far. Man, that was not the result I was expecting.
Old 01-27-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Recorded it and just watched it. Wow - total domination by Joker.
Old 01-27-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Congrats to Novak. Thought it would be closer, but after the Pouille match, I'm not that surprised. When Novak plays at that level, not much Rafa can do. Bad matchup.

Also congrats to Osaka, at least she won't be a one slam wonder. Great at handling pressure for a young player. Match had plenty of drama but the quality was average. Too many "it's my turn to play poorly" periods.
Old 01-27-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most would agree that The Big Three are the three greatest male tennis players of all-time.

In what other sport have the three GOATS played together in the same era simultaneously? It's like if Jordan, James, and Chamberlain all played at the same time. It's madness.
Old 01-27-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night's match was not even the most commanding demolition of Nadal. I remember watching the 2008 AO Semifinal between Nadal and Tsonga, and thinking, Who's going to be able to beat this Tsonga fellow? The most exquisite drop-shots I have ever seen. Unfotunately, Tsonga never lived up to what he demonstrated in that match.

Old 01-28-19, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker View Post
Most would agree that The Big Three are the three greatest male tennis players of all-time.

In what other sport have the three GOATS played together in the same era simultaneously? It's like if Jordan, James, and Chamberlain all played at the same time. It's madness.
My wife and I were debating this point yesterday afternoon, specifically what adjectives like "greatest" and "best" mean. This is kind of a worthless semantic debate, but I agree with her that "greatest" does and should include longevity and Majors won. In this case, yes, these three guys are arguably the greatest with the only asterisk being, of course, Rod Laver himself.

However, when it comes to "best", in my mind this is the player who was at any moment in time the best tennis player to ever set foot on a court in men's professional tennis. In my mind, the best player ever (so far) has been Stanislas Wawrinka. His high has been higher than any other player's high that I have seen, most especially on a hard court (although Djokovic this past week certainly rivals it). Alas, he has only on occasion managed to achieve this high which is why he is not and will probably never be one of the "greats". I will honestly be surprised if he ever wins another major.
Old 01-28-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I make a difference between "greatest and "most gifted". I think Fed is both, i.e. results/accomplishments ("greatest") and raw tennis talent ("most gifted").

For example, I can't possibly put Barry Sanders in the "greatest" category. But "most gifted" absolutely.

But Stan Wawrinka??? That's not only bold, it also makes the mind boggle.

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-28-19 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wawrinka seemed to have a style that got under Djokovic's skin at his absolute peak. He's one of the few players that could out-hit Djokovic from both wings when everything was clicking.

About the AO final, Djokovic dismantled Nadal. Nadal looked lost from the start, and it would have been tough for him against any opponent that day, much less Djokovic on his favorite surface. Djokovic hit as clean in the Semi-final and Final as I've ever seen him play. He's hitting winners with so much margin that he looks unstoppable.

I did notice that both Nadal and Djokovic look a half-step slower than their 20s. Nadal actually looked slow on some points in switching directions. I think his days of winning hardcourt Slams are all but over with Djokovic on the prowl.
Old 01-28-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would have bet on a Djokovic win (although not THAT easy) after 10 min. That's how long it took for Novak to own the baseline (and push Rafa away from it), quickly eliminating the aggressive style Rafa had used in previous matches. He had to go back to grinding and that clearly would never work against Novak playing at that level.