Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2019 Tennis Thread

Old 01-22-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 Tennis Thread

The Nadal-Tiafoe match ended predictably and Danielle Collins' magic carriage has not yet turned back into a pumpkin. Even if this Open ends up with a Serena win and a Djokovic/Nadal men's final, there have been some great stories.

So Serena will have to go through a Pliskova in top form (who did beat her at the '16 U.S. Open), Osaka (presumably, who beat her last year) and Kvitova (presumably) in top form. Kvitova is also 2-0 in their last two meetings, including on a hard court last summer. Kvitova has also not dropped a set and has only even been stretched to 6-4 twice. All that said, I would still make a nice wager on Serena.
Old 01-22-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Even if this Open ends up with a Serena win and a Djokovic/Nadal men's final, there have been some great stories.
Among hard core tennis fans like yourselves, I suppose this result wouldn't be interesting. But for a casual tennis fan like myself, who pays close attention to the majors but not the rest, this result would be a great story in itself. At this point, Serena winning is a fantastic story. And when some of the greatest ever continue their greatness, I have not problem with that.
Old 01-22-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wish there was a middle ground between 8 different winners in the past 8 slams (women), and always the same 3 dudes winning all the majors.
Old 01-22-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I wish there was a middle ground between 8 different winners in the past 8 slams (women), and always the same 3 dudes winning all the majors.
Yup, I tend to agree. The 8 different winners in 8 slams wouldn't bother me as much if it were genuinely 8-12 top players who were all similar in skill battling it out. That would be amazing, in fact. Alas, we have some winners like Ostapenko who has only advanced past the third round once in her last six majors (including a first round loss here) and Muguruza, who hasn't fared much better herself. OTOH, it was nice to see Woz pick up what will almost certainly be her one and only and Halep finally win one as well. It doesn't help that Kerber has the charisma of a postage box.

That said, I will gladly take too much parity over, like we see on the men's side, not nearly enough. It's not just that it has been the same guys over and over again, it has been the same small group of people for 14 straight years. Only two majors of the last 55 going to someone other than one of the formerly "big five" (I include Wawrinka because he should be included) is pathetic.
Old 01-22-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Among hard core tennis fans like yourselves, I suppose this result wouldn't be interesting. But for a casual tennis fan like myself, who pays close attention to the majors but not the rest, this result would be a great story in itself. At this point, Serena winning is a fantastic story.
Oh, Serena winning would be both interesting and noteworthy, considering she hasn't won in two years and has taken time off for motherhood in the interim. The gap between her the field has also clearly narrowed quite a bit as well, making a win here, should it happen, all the more impressive. Plus, there is the whole overall record, which is probably a big chunk of the reason why she is still playing. She wants to tie and then pass Margaret Court, even though she already has the real record (i.e., open era) right now.

That said, I hope she loses.
Old 01-22-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Loving the emergence of Danielle Collins,she is the villian the WTA needs. She is like a young NJ/Miami Housewife who will run you over with her minivan,but instead became a tennis player in our alternate reality
Old 01-22-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Loving the emergence of Danielle Collins,she is the villian the WTA needs. She is like a young NJ/Miami Housewife who will run you over with her minivan,but instead became a tennis player in our alternate reality
She's already widely hated on most of the tennis boards I peruse.

I don't think she's a major new star, but a solid player on a hot streak. Since she's relatively new to the upper ranks of the WTA, opponents haven't broken down her weaknesses yet and been able to neutralize her strengths. Her best asset is that she competes on every point and doesn't fall apart after a bad point.

She is great at consistently hitting near the baseline with her groundstrokes. That was giving Kerber a ton of problems.
Old 01-22-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like her too. She has "spunk" and she doesn't seem to care about what others think. Solid game too.
Old 01-23-19, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Only watched the first set before I went to bed, but Serena drops the first set so often I didn't really think Karolina would pull it off. Also, Osaka must be playing her way into top form. That was more one-sided than I would have guessed.

First major semi for Pouille after two straight years of not getting to the second week.
Old 01-23-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Serena up 5-1, gets foot fault called on match point, doesn't complain, 2nd serve, during rally rolls her left ankle. Doesn't scream in pain, fall on the ground, or look especially distraught. Merely bends down, grabs her foot for a couple seconds and resumes playing. And it all went downhill from there... Serena play like crap, Pliskova wins the next 6 games and the match. Serena then claims this has nothing to do with her ankle, "it seemed to be fine" and that Pliskova "played her best tennis ever".

It's called a choke job. Typical Serena manufactured drama bs.

----------------------------

Should have listen to jfoobar... The Milos giveth and then taketh away...
Old 01-23-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Serena up 5-1, gets foot fault called on match point, doesn't complain, 2nd serve, during rally rolls her left ankle. Doesn't scream in pain, fall on the ground, or look especially distraught. Merely bends down, grabs her foot for a couple seconds and resumes playing. And it all went downhill from there... Serena play like crap, Pliskova wins the next 6 games and the match. Serena then claims this has nothing to do with her ankle, "it seemed to be fine" and that Pliskova "played her best tennis ever".

It's called a choke job. Typical Serena manufactured drama bs.
I'm confused. Isn't what you describe the exact opposite of manufactured drama? She didn't complain, she didn't feign injury or blame the loss on injury, and instead praised her opponent. How is that manufactured drama? Or will you just criticize her for anything?
Old 01-23-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm confused. Isn't what you describe the exact opposite of manufactured drama? She didn't complain, she didn't feign injury or blame the loss on injury, and instead praised her opponent. How is that manufactured drama? Or will you just criticize her for anything?
Because that sequence of events is not logically possible, and nobody is buying it. Which means that Serena is bullshitting everyone.
Old 01-23-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good lord! If she had blamed the loss on her ankle, you'd cry bullshit. If she had said "I choked" and not "she played phenomenal" you'd give her crap for being a poor sport. I mean, seriously, she acts graciously and creates as little drama as possible, and you accuse her of manufacturing drama because she couldn't possibly be telling the truth? WTF?
Old 01-23-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good lord! If she had blamed the loss on her ankle, you'd cry bullshit. If she had said "I choked" and not "she played phenomenal" you'd give her crap for being a poor sport. I mean, seriously, she acts graciously and creates as little drama as possible, and you accuse her of manufacturing drama because she couldn't possibly be telling the truth? WTF?
Do you not realize that, in this case, by trying (badly) not to create drama, she only manages to create more? Because what she says makes no sense. I keep giving her a hard time because there's always some sort of drama surrounding her, and whatever she says, it never manages to sound real/genuine. I've always liked Venus, But I think Serena is a gigantic fake.
Old 01-23-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone's creating drama here but it isn't her.
Old 01-23-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have not watched the replay of the second and third sets yet, but I certainly agree with this in general:

But I think Serena is a gigantic fake.
She has certainly become much more outwardly gracious in recent years, but I remember how she was for much of the first part of her career and I don't really buy it. I do give her credit for at least saying the right things now, but she is her father's daughter.
Old 01-23-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I have not watched the replay of the second and third sets yet, but I certainly agree with this in general:

She has certainly become much more outwardly gracious in recent years, but I remember how she was for much of the first part of her career and I don't really buy it. I do give her credit for at least saying the right things now, but she is her father's daughter.
I don't disagree. In her heart, she may feel like the foot fault call robbed her, or that she would have put the match away if not for the ankle, or that she played poorly and it wasn't that her opponent played well. Still, if "we" are going to criticize her when she verbalizes those things -- and lord knows we do -- we can't also criticize her for not saying those things.
Old 01-23-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't care about "nice and gracious" when the story makes little sense and doesn't match what most people saw live on tv. Nice and gracious bs is still bs. How about genuine and honest? Nope, fake fake fake.
Old 01-23-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the entire set and it looked to me like Serena knew she was injured, but thought she could power her way through it with one good service game for the win. When it became apparent her mobility was lacking, Serena stubbornly refused to call a trainer and get it taped up. It cost her the match.

I know she's desperate to break the all-time Slam record but she should take off the French and get in better shape if she really wants to win another major. Some women's bodies don't ever really bounce back from having a baby, especially having her first kid at that age.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 01-24-19 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-23-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I watched the entire set and it looked to me like Serena knew she was injured, but thought she could power her way through it with one good service game for the win. When it became apparent her mobility was lacking, Serena's stubbornly refused to call a trainer and get it taped up. It cost her the match.
That's the only explanation that makes sense. But even on changeovers she paid absolutely no attention to that foot/ankle. And she wasn't wincing/grimacing at all. Anyway...
Old 01-23-19, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rafa has been very aggressive so far and it's paid off. But he hasn't played someone with power and and attacking game who can push him back. So I wonder if he keeps being aggressive, or chooses to start with the "anti-Fed tactic" of pummeling Tsitsipas one-handed BH with high topspin forehands. Let's see how close to the baseline he chooses to stand on baseline rallies.
Old 01-23-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't have it both ways, eXcentris. For years, so many people, myself included, have hated Serena for her arrogance and poor sportsmanship. If she gave full credit to her opponent, I applaud her.
I watched most of the Collins-Pavluchenkova match, and Collins seems like a petulant bitch.
Old 01-24-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Someone's creating drama here but it isn't her.
I don't disagree. In her heart, she may feel like the foot fault call robbed her, or that she would have put the match away if not for the ankle, or that she played poorly and it wasn't that her opponent played well. Still, if "we" are going to criticize her when she verbalizes those things -- and lord knows we do -- we can't also criticize her for not saying those things.
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Can't have it both ways, eXcentris. For years, so many people, myself included, have hated Serena for her arrogance and poor sportsmanship. If she gave full credit to her opponent, I applaud her.
I watched most of the Collins-Pavluchenkova match, and Collins seems like a petulant bitch.
Agreed.
Old 01-25-19, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So predictable. I'm honestly probably not even going to watch the men's final. I think skimming the highlights after the fact should be sufficient.
Old 01-25-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll probably watch, hoping for a repeat of the epic 2012, 6 hour final. I was leaning Rafa's way but Novak was flawless against Pouille (24 winners and... 5 UE's). When both seem in top form, I have to pick Novak.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.