DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2019 Tennis Thread

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Yay, I was wrong!
Not wrong enough.
Old 06-09-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not going to go as far as saying Nadal needs an asterisk next to this particular Roland Garros title - but come on. Thiem played 4 days in a row and looked absolutely gassed the last two sets. How the hell is this fair? Totally bullshit and more evidence why this slam is the worst one by far.
Old 06-09-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well congrats to Rafa, he's truly the King of clay and this RG record will never be broken. And kudos to Thiem, I don't think he could have done more under the circumstances.
Old 06-09-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker View Post
I'm not going to go as far as saying Nadal needs an asterisk next to this particular Roland Garros title - but come on. Thiem played 4 days in a row and looked absolutely gassed the last two sets. How the hell is this fair? Totally bullshit and more evidence why this slam is the worst one by far.
Outside of a peak Djokovic at his very very best, there really isn't anyone alive that can challenge a healthy Nadal at Roland Garros.

I think Nadal was annoyed that Thiem had the temerity to win a set and then decided to destroy him over the last two sets. Even a rested Thiem isn't at Nadal's level on clay. I'll concede that Thiem is probably the second-best clay courter at the moment.

It's looking more and more likely that Nadal surpasses Fed's 20 Slams. Who would bet against Nadal winning two of the next three French Opens? I wouldn't.

Old 06-09-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I think Nadal was annoyed that Thiem had the temerity to win a set and then decided to destroy him over the last two sets. .
I'm surprised he didn't just decide to destroy him from the start for having the temerity to even show up to face him in an RG final. How dare he!

Rafa raised his level, but Rafa also had a cupcake draw and Thiem was gased. It matters.

Plus, I've heard that exact same prediction (about catching Fed) every year since Rafa had like 10-12 slams. Actually, these days, it seems to vary according to who wins the last slam. After the AO it was Djokovic catching Fed and now it's back to Rafa. Now watch Fed win Wimbledon.

Anyway, yeah, Rafa can sure win again at RG, but I don't think it's a given. And with him there's also his sometimes questionable health.
Old 06-09-19, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't think it's a given that Fed is done upping his own total.
Old 06-10-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

These resumes are just insane

Fed - 20 Slams, 1 Davis Cup, Olympic Singles Silver, Olympic Doubles Gold, 310 weeks at #1, 6 Tour Finals Titles, 101 career titles, 8 Wimbledon's, 28 Masters 1000 Titles

Rafa - 18 Slams, 4 Davis Cups, Olympic Singles Gold, Olympic Doubles Gold, 12 French Open's, 59 titles on clay, 196 weeks at #1, 34 Masters 1000 Titles

Djoker - 15 Slams, 1 Davis Cup, Olympic Singles Bronze, #1 all-time in earnings, 5 Tour Finals Titles, 7 Aussie Open's, 250+ weeks at #1, 33 Masters 1000 Titles

We are just so blessed with these three.

And I've long said the best thing that could ever happen to the GOAT arguments is Roger and Rafa to end tied in Slams.
Old 06-10-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe it's very possible that both Nadal and Djokovic finish with more Slams than Federer. Djokovic also has a real shot at passing Fed's most weeks at #1 record.

It's going to take a hugely rigged draw and some surprise injuries for Federer to win another Slam. I'm sure Wimbledon will accommodate Federer as much as possible by placing both Djokovic and Nadal on the other side of the bracket.
Old 06-10-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fed just made the semis at 37, at his worst slam, where he hadn't played since 2015. But thanks for yet another completely non-biased, fair, and objective take.

Last edited by eXcentris; 06-10-19 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think there will be any "accommodations" but Wimbledon does have a strange means of seeding. They take like the top 25 players and shuffle them using their own formulas, including data based on how well the players did on grass over the last couple years.
Old 06-10-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Fed just made the semis at 37, at his worst slam, where he hadn't played since 2015. But thanks for yet another completely non-biased, fair, and objective take.
thank you for posting what I was thinking. That was a Stephen A Smith level hot take, given how this past 2 weeks have gone.
Old 06-10-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All the Slams rig the draw for their own ends. Nadal had a cakewalk to the Semi-finals, where he met a nearly 38-year-old Federer that hadn't seriously played on clay in a couple years.
Old 06-10-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
All the Slams rig the draw for their own ends. Nadal had a cakewalk to the Semi-finals, where he met a nearly 38-year-old Federer that hadn't seriously played on clay in a couple years.
The French uses the players rank as their seed for the draw (bumping players up if someone ranked isn't participating). Literally no way it can be rigged.

What you're seeing is just the outcome of having a big three who are so far beyond the rest of the field. Murray isn't around anymore to give them trouble; Stan put up a good fight but Fed powered through.
Old 06-10-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
thank you for posting what I was thinking. That was a Stephen A Smith level hot take, given how this past 2 weeks have gone.
You've never been to Tennis Warehouse forums and read what hardcore Nadal fans post. You'll think you're on Infowars...
Old 06-11-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if anyone saw this from last week:

Old 06-11-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, nice moment. More emotional since Mahut is French, he's 37, and that was probably his last singles match at Roland Garros in front of friends and family. The kid did the same thing last year on a more joyous occasion at RG, when Mahut/Herbert won the doubles title.
Old 06-11-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And Thiem is a good dude:

Austrian world number four Dominic Thiem has offered to play doubles with Serena Williams at Wimbledon to put their French Open dispute behind them.

Thiem had accused Williams of showing "bad personality"after he was asked to relocate a media conference to make way for the 23-time Grand Slam champion.

"Probably it was not Serena's mistake. I find her achievements unbelievable, sensational." he said on Tuesday.

"I would like to make amends with her in Wimbledon or US Open mixed doubles."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/48602042
Old 06-12-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He knows Serena isn't going to play with him. She barely finds time to play singles these days.

Surprised Thiem doesn't play more with his girlfriend in mixed doubles. TV audio caught her practically mocking Nadal at times during the Final about how long he takes between points.
Old 06-20-19, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you Felix at Queens. After beating Dimitrov, he beats Kyrgios 6-7, 7-6,7-5, in a match which included the usual antics by the Australian who got booed off the court. Why he hasn't been banned from tennis yet is beyond me. Felix plays Tsitsipas next, should be a good match.

He lost in the Stuttgart final to Berrettini, another young guy to watch. Big dude with a huge serve. He's in the quarters against Kachanov in Halle.
Old 06-20-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and poor Del Po is one unlucky dude:

LONDON (Reuters) - Juan Martin's del Potro's injury curse has struck again with the Argentine requiring more surgery after re-fracturing his kneecap during this week's Queen's Club Championships.

The Argentine former U.S. Open champion slipped during his victory over Denis Shapovalov on Wednesday and later pulled out of the grass court tournament.

His hopes of playing at Wimbledon were dashed on Thursday after scans revealed he had fractured his right patella -- the same injury that forced him to miss the last four weeks of 2018 and restricted him to five tournaments this year.

The ATP's website said the 30-year-old world number 12 had consulted with his doctor Angel Cotorro and that surgery was required within the next couple of days.

Since winning the 2009 U.S. Open, Del Potro has been robbed of large chunks of his career, undergoing three left wrist surgeries and another to his right wrist.

He had shown signs of returning to his best form and had risen to fourth in the rankings in January.
Old 06-20-19, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is sad news about Del Potro. He was playing so well at points last year and this doesn't sound good at all considering his age.

I love grasscourt season. A shame it's not longer.
Old 06-21-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And Felix beat Tsitsipas again (7-5, 6-2). He's now in the semis (against Lopez). Youngest to reach Queens Club SF in 20 years.

Read what Tsitsipas said about him:'I Might Never Beat Him'

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/tsit...eens-club-2019
Old 06-21-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does he have a preferred surface, ala Nadal with clay and Fed with grass? Seems like a truly special talent
Old 06-21-19, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Does he have a preferred surface, ala Nadal with clay and Fed with grass? Seems like a truly special talent
He's good everywhere. He made 3 finals this year, 2 on clay (Rio, Lyon) and 1 on grass (Stuttgart) and he's just as good on hard. He didn't win any of these finals but it's just a matter of time. These were smaller tournaments, but he's now in the semis at Queens, a 500 event.
Old 06-22-19, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Felix is not physically ready to compete deep into Slams.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.