DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/646287-2019-pro-wrestling-thread.html)

Sonny Corinthos 01-01-19 06:44 AM

The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Here's to another year inside of the squared circle.

The Elite Officially Reveal All Elite Wrestling Logo & All In 2: Double or Nothing Event.

The Elite have officially unveiled the logo for their upcoming All Elite Wrestling promotion, and they have also announced a follow-up to their All In pay-per-view, which will be called Double or Nothing.

Here is the video they posted on their official YouTube channel:

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/...restling-Logo/

Ringmaster 01-01-19 09:53 AM

Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

After Wrestlemania, I'm finally canceling the WWE Network. I dont watch Raw and SmackDown. The booking doesn't make sense for a lot of the wrestlers and there's too much stilted talking. I may consider getting New Japan World, but the app has be available on my PS4 by then.

brainee 01-01-19 12:17 PM

Speaking of New Japan, Wrestle Kingdom 13 is this Friday! :dance: Even without subscribing to New Japan World, looks like AXS TV is showing the top two matches (Omega vs Tanahashi and Jericho vs Naito) the same day (and I'm sure the other matches will follow on their weekly show over the next month).

This will be the first Wrestle Kingdom I'll watch having followed the promotion for the entire preceding year. While my WWE viewing has fallen drastically (it's essentially just background noise while I work on the computer, or watching snippets during breaks in football), fortunately NJPW and LU have been able to give me the regular doses of pro wrestling I can enjoy.

Timber 01-01-19 01:26 PM

Ummmm...Heavy Machinery? They're trying to sell us on Heavy Machinery? They get little reaction in NXT but they're coming to improve things on the main roster?

I do love Lacey Evans and think she was underutilized in NXT so hopefully they have something for her.

dvd-4-life 01-01-19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster (Post 13471927)
After Wrestlemania, I'm finally canceling the WWE Network. I dont watch Raw and SmackDown. The booking doesn't make sense for a lot of the wrestlers and there's too much stilted talking. I may consider getting New Japan World, but the app has be available on my PS4 by then.

The main reason I have the WWE Network is because today's product suck's.

Plenty of stuff too watch that is far and beyond better than today's wrestling.

Deadman31 01-01-19 01:44 PM

Unless they are gonna have these new guys do something different it’s all gonna end up same. They really need to dig deeper and come up with creative ways to use them.

starseed1981 01-01-19 02:19 PM

Yeah. New roster talent won’t help Raw or Smackdown. There is simply way too much wrestling and not enough entertainment. When your product is in ring focused you severely limit your potential audience (not to mention the nonstop physical toll on your performers) and it becomes easier for them to critique and point out flaws in your product. When tweens can tell you that Seth Rollins is wearing one of the gas masks in Dean Ambrose crew, then you have a huge problem.

There has to be storylines, consequences, actually listening to and caring about your audience, admitting when something isn’t working, etc.

A full creative overhaul needs to occur ASAP. They need a vision, not this booking committee gibberish.

Timber 01-02-19 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 13472086)
Yeah. New roster talent won’t help Raw or Smackdown. There is simply way too much wrestling and not enough entertainment.

So you're saying they need a Vince Russo/Brian Gerwitz back in the building? I know Paul Heyman just doesn't have the mental makeup to be in wrestling full time but I'd love to see what he could do with Smackdown.

Another Styles/Brian match for the title. This feud is going on longer than Styles/Joe.

fujishig 01-02-19 09:11 AM

I didn't realize All Elite wrestling was backed by Tony Khan, the co-owner of the Jaguars and Fuulham F.C. At the very least, they've got some money, though they need a tv deal on a channel people have actually heard of. Plus I'll be interested in seeing their relationship with other promotions, mainly ROH and New Japan, both of which were a big part of All In.

starseed1981 01-02-19 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 13472372)
So you're saying they need a Vince Russo/Brian Gerwitz back in the building?

Those individuals, no. But a lot of entertainment elements need to be integrated back into the programs.

We are going on week 11 of Ambrose and Rollins going at each other. What are the stakes? What are the consequences of failure? A title already switched hands so why is this still going on? With all the entertainment options available today a casual viewer isn't gonna care.

Everyone knows, and I'm not even talking about Smarks, that the product is bad. They are so focused on athleticism that in-ring psychology has gone right out the window. So where is the story telling happening? Why should we watch? It's just predictable and stale. If you add new talent that doesn't change this formula.

Red Hood 01-02-19 10:02 AM

Mene Gene Okerlund has passed away

https://www.wwe.com/article/mean-gen...?sf205241648=1

Timber 01-02-19 10:14 AM

Must resist bad kidney pun.

Sad news.

dvd-4-life 01-02-19 10:30 AM

Mean Gene possibly the best wrestling interviewer of all-time.

I remember him one time in the AWA after a Bobby Heenan interview and he ripped Gene Okerlund for wearing the same jacket interview after interview.

Mike86 01-02-19 10:47 AM

Damn Mean Gene was one of my favorite wrestling personalities bar none. Definitely my favorite interviewer in wrestling. RIP.

starseed1981 01-02-19 11:06 AM

RIP Mean Gene

raven56706 01-02-19 11:23 AM

gene and bobby heenan are gonna have a fun time in heaven!

stingermck 01-02-19 11:26 AM

RIP Mean Gene. Talking with a friend, we cant think of any other interviewer past or present who comes close to him.

Ric Flair, The Nature Boy
1 min ·

One Of My Closest Friends Since 1972 Until This Very Sad Day In 2019. Not Only The Greatest Voice And Personality In The History Of Announcing, But A Man Who Touched Everyone’s Life Who Were Fortunate Enough To Know Him. Rest In Peace Knowing No One Will Ever Replace You. You Will Forever Be MEAN BY GOD GENE!

Bill Needle 01-02-19 11:42 AM

Sad news about Gene. Got a chance to know him a little in my college days through mutual friends of his son Todd, and in later years through a relative who is in the business. From everything I saw not only was he the best at what he did professionally but he was truly a great guy.

VHS? 01-02-19 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 13472477)
Mean Gene possibly the best wrestling interviewer of all-time.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...3249406747.png

Seriously though. Dude is legend. The "Cream of the Crop" His craft can never be duplicated.

dvd-4-life 01-02-19 02:55 PM

I would expect too see many Mean Gene Okerlund interviews on WWE Network.

Yet another reason too subscribe to the WWE Network.

dvd-4-life 01-02-19 02:57 PM

Vince McMahon,way way back when, was also a great interviewer. This was before he went overboard on his broadcasting skills(see the first ever RAW episode).

Timber 01-02-19 02:58 PM

It's one of the things that are missing in today's wrestling. Gene was a "worker", a seller. Whether it be the hotline or trying to to sell Hogan/Bundy. There are no more workers on the announce team/backstage crew. Half the ladies they bring in just stand there and hold the mic and offer nothing.

dvd-4-life 01-02-19 02:59 PM

Mean Gene Interviewers replay value-10 out of 10
Todays RAW or Smackdown replay value-0 out of 10

wishbone 01-02-19 03:08 PM

https://i.imgur.com/95VbmfS.jpg

Despite his moniker he did seem like a nice guy.

Manco 01-02-19 03:23 PM

R.I.P 'Mean' Gene Okerlund.
A few of my favorite Gene Okerlund interviews: