Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Old 01-29-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

WWE has come out and posted online that Dean Ambrose is leaving the company. I guess they had no other choice since the secret is out.

https://www.wwe.com/article/dean-amb...pj2V9fCJ8z-2oE
Old 01-29-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, I thought they would still negotiate with him or at least keep it under wraps for another month or so, regardless of if the info is out on the internet.
Old 01-29-19, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wow, I thought they would still negotiate with him or at least keep it under wraps for another month or so, regardless of if the info is out on the internet.
I imagine this is a situation similar as to when Scott Hall left the company the first time around and Vince will probably send Ambrose home until his contract expires.
Old 01-30-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Daniel Bryan has a new hemp and wood belt? That shit is gold right there. I wasn't a big fan of his heel work but it's picking up.
Old 01-30-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hideo Itami is leaving as well. Last night on 205 live was his final match.

Word is he is going back to Japan
Old 01-30-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Hideo Itami is leaving as well. Last night on 205 live was his final match.

Word is he is going back to Japan
It makes sense he asked for his release. He was always hampered since day 1 because Daniel Bryan and CM Punk had taken a lot of his moveset, so he brought nothing new to the ring and the language barrier held him back. He'll be much better in Japan.
Old 01-30-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
It makes sense he asked for his release. He was always hampered since day 1 because Daniel Bryan and CM Punk had taken a lot of his moveset, so he brought nothing new to the ring and the language barrier held him back. He'll be much better in Japan.
In addition to that, every time it looked like his WWE career was getting any traction it was derailed by injuries. Even going back to his debut, he was immediately put together with Finn Balor ... and just seemed less interesting in every way compared to Finn right off the bat.
Old 01-30-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post

In addition to that, every time it looked like his WWE career was getting any traction it was derailed by injuries. Even going back to his debut, he was immediately put together with Finn Balor ... and just seemed less interesting in every way compared to Finn right off the bat.
In fact Itami was the one that introduced Balor. I believe when he was getting beat up by the Ascension.
Old 01-30-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Although they are very different, it probably doesn't help that Nakamura is on the main roster (and is not exactly lighting the world on fire). I'm still wondering what they're going to do with Kairi and Io when they already have Asuka.
Old 01-30-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although they are very different, it probably doesn't help that Nakamura is on the main roster (and is not exactly lighting the world on fire). I'm still wondering what they're going to do with Kairi and Io when they already have Asuka.
Knowing Vince, he will have the 3 of them open a sushi restaurant.
Old 01-30-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tag team. With the new women's division they will need all the teams they can muster up.
Old 01-30-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WWE doesn't have a single female wrestler who fit's the mold of pure babyface underdog in peril the fans can get behind. Bayley never caught on fully in that role in the main roster,and Becky Lynch who was super over in that role isn't that babyface underdog any more and super over as "The Man". Kairi much like Asuka is that damn good where she can get over with fans with charecter work and in ring work with limited mic time.
Old 01-30-19, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it was less about their talent and more what Kelkee was suggesting, how is Vince going to use them.
Old 01-30-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I having been reading the whole Dean Ambrose is leaving is a storyline. It makes sense. Why would WWE put out a release saying a superstar is leaving after his contract is up after WrestleMania? Or it could be true. Remember he said something to say after his match with Rollins but was interrupted by Jax and het tag team partner. (Forgot her name) At this point, who knows for sure?
Old 01-31-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If its a work its genius.
If its for real then it is odd for WWE to make it so public and sad that he is moving on.

It just puts too much focus on things WWE normally doesn't traditionally make light of, especially with AEW coming soon.

Last edited by Kelkee; 01-31-19 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-19, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kairi is great and Io is a great partner for her. The match last night on NXT was hopefully a foreshadowing of what is to come.

Kairi makes such a good face. Plus I think she is much more relatable as a character (the Pirate Princess) than Auska. What exactly is an Empress of Tomorrow? Auska is great in the ring but her character leaves me scratching my head and her mic skills don't help convey anything about her personality.

Kairi's whole character comes thru without mic skills.
Old 01-31-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kelkee View Post
Kairi is great and Io is a great partner for her. The match last night on NXT was hopefully a foreshadowing of what is to come.

Kairi makes such a good face. Plus I think she is much more relatable as a character (the Pirate Princess) than Auska. What exactly is an Empress of Tomorrow? Auska is great in the ring but her character leaves me scratching my head and her mic skills don't help convey anything about her personality.

Kairi's whole character comes thru without mic skills.
Asuka worked better when they started to turn her heel in her last days of NXT. Then the "nobody is ready for Asuka" line actually works.
Old 01-31-19, 10:49 AM

I still say that Vince needs to bring more managers. Lashley value has gone up since Lio Rush became his manager. Several talent in the company like Ronda Rousey will be better served if they had a manager. Also, WWE needs to bring back stables.
Old 01-31-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I still say that Vince needs to bring more managers. Lashley value has gone up since Lio Rush became his manager. Several talent in the company like Ronda Rousey will be better served if they had a manager. Also, WWE needs to bring back stables.
Agree on all counts. Just think about all of the great managers in pro wrestling history? Booby Heenan, Classy Freddie Blassie, JJ Dillion, Paul Ellering and Jim Cornette just to name a few.

Old 01-31-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They've been against managers and factions (which in my mind kind of go hand in hand) for a while now. I remember back when Heyman took on Cesaro, I thought cool, a faction is forming, and they just did absolutely nothing with it. But Swagger and Cesaro got over with the help of Mantell, so I don't know. And Balor Club lasted like less than a month, right?

The only reason Heyman is even around is because Brock can't be there all the time.

I'm hoping with the new tag team women's titles, they'll put a bit more emphasis on tag teams because that's certainly one way to pair a decent talker with a developing one.
Old 01-31-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

VKM doesn't like managers in modern wrestling because he can't control what they say.
Old 01-31-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I having been reading the whole Dean Ambrose is leaving is a storyline. It makes sense. Why would WWE put out a release saying a superstar is leaving after his contract is up after WrestleMania? Or it could be true. Remember he said something to say after his match with Rollins but was interrupted by Jax and het tag team partner. (Forgot her name) At this point, who knows for sure?
There are parts of this that make it seem like a work. WWE announcing it was a big one. On Raw, it also seemed like they were ready to start a Dean/HHH feud too. If that's the case, then a "I'm leaving the company" bit makes sense to set up a Mania match between them.

If we see Dean on TV at any point between now and April, you'll know it's a work. It doesn't make sense to have someone leaving the company - and likely going to a competitor - be on TV at all. Even to bury him.
Old 02-03-19, 06:44 AM

I hope they don't mess up Lynch vs Rousey by adding Charlotte to the mix.

My prediction is that by the end of Wrestlemania, Becky will have the Raw title, Charlotte will have the Smackdown title, and Bailey & Sasha will have the Tag Titles. And the show will close with the Four Horsewomen on the stage (or in the ring) holding their belts.

That would be an awesome visual that could become an iconic image for this era.
Old 02-04-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I hope they don't mess up Lynch vs Rousey by adding Charlotte to the mix.

My prediction is that by the end of Wrestlemania, Becky will have the Raw title, Charlotte will have the Smackdown title, and Bailey & Sasha will have the Tag Titles. And the show will close with the Four Horsewomen on the stage (or in the ring) holding their belts.

That would be an awesome visual that could become an iconic image for this era.
One of the many problems with this era is how predictable it is. Almost everyone has predicted this and I think you are spot on with what will happen.
Old 02-04-19, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
One of the many problems with this era is how predictable it is. Almost everyone has predicted this and I think you are spot on with what will happen.
It's predictable, but it should happen.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.