Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Old 01-29-19, 04:56 PM
  #201  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,934
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

WWE has come out and posted online that Dean Ambrose is leaving the company. I guess they had no other choice since the secret is out.

https://www.wwe.com/article/dean-amb...pj2V9fCJ8z-2oE
Red Hood is offline  
Old 01-29-19, 05:16 PM
  #202  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,112
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Wow, I thought they would still negotiate with him or at least keep it under wraps for another month or so, regardless of if the info is out on the internet.
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-29-19, 06:47 PM
  #203  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,934
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wow, I thought they would still negotiate with him or at least keep it under wraps for another month or so, regardless of if the info is out on the internet.
I imagine this is a situation similar as to when Scott Hall left the company the first time around and Vince will probably send Ambrose home until his contract expires.
Red Hood is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 08:48 AM
  #204  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,824
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Daniel Bryan has a new hemp and wood belt? That shit is gold right there. I wasn't a big fan of his heel work but it's picking up.
Timber is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 08:55 AM
  #205  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,624
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Hideo Itami is leaving as well. Last night on 205 live was his final match.

Word is he is going back to Japan
raven56706 is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 09:23 AM
  #206  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,641
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Hideo Itami is leaving as well. Last night on 205 live was his final match.

Word is he is going back to Japan
It makes sense he asked for his release. He was always hampered since day 1 because Daniel Bryan and CM Punk had taken a lot of his moveset, so he brought nothing new to the ring and the language barrier held him back. He'll be much better in Japan.
Ringmaster is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 10:52 AM
  #207  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,863
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
It makes sense he asked for his release. He was always hampered since day 1 because Daniel Bryan and CM Punk had taken a lot of his moveset, so he brought nothing new to the ring and the language barrier held him back. He'll be much better in Japan.
In addition to that, every time it looked like his WWE career was getting any traction it was derailed by injuries. Even going back to his debut, he was immediately put together with Finn Balor ... and just seemed less interesting in every way compared to Finn right off the bat.
brainee is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 01:31 PM
  #208  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,824
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by brainee View Post


In addition to that, every time it looked like his WWE career was getting any traction it was derailed by injuries. Even going back to his debut, he was immediately put together with Finn Balor ... and just seemed less interesting in every way compared to Finn right off the bat.
In fact Itami was the one that introduced Balor. I believe when he was getting beat up by the Ascension.
Timber is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 02:06 PM
  #209  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,112
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Although they are very different, it probably doesn't help that Nakamura is on the main roster (and is not exactly lighting the world on fire). I'm still wondering what they're going to do with Kairi and Io when they already have Asuka.
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 02:42 PM
  #210  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,852
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Although they are very different, it probably doesn't help that Nakamura is on the main roster (and is not exactly lighting the world on fire). I'm still wondering what they're going to do with Kairi and Io when they already have Asuka.
Knowing Vince, he will have the 3 of them open a sushi restaurant.
Deadman31 is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 03:14 PM
  #211  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,412
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Although they are very different, it probably doesn't help that Nakamura is on the main roster (and is not exactly lighting the world on fire). I'm still wondering what they're going to do with Kairi and Io when they already have Asuka.
Tag team. With the new women's division they will need all the teams they can muster up.
Kelkee is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 04:53 PM
  #212  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
AaronHernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bayside
Posts: 1,962
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

WWE doesn't have a single female wrestler who fit's the mold of pure babyface underdog in peril the fans can get behind. Bayley never caught on fully in that role in the main roster,and Becky Lynch who was super over in that role isn't that babyface underdog any more and super over as "The Man". Kairi much like Asuka is that damn good where she can get over with fans with charecter work and in ring work with limited mic time.
AaronHernandez is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 07:07 PM
  #213  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,112
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Yeah, it was less about their talent and more what Kelkee was suggesting, how is Vince going to use them.
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 08:17 PM
  #214  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 5,081
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

I having been reading the whole Dean Ambrose is leaving is a storyline. It makes sense. Why would WWE put out a release saying a superstar is leaving after his contract is up after WrestleMania? Or it could be true. Remember he said something to say after his match with Rollins but was interrupted by Jax and het tag team partner. (Forgot her name) At this point, who knows for sure?
Sonny Corinthos is offline  
Old 01-31-19, 08:06 AM
  #215  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,412
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

If its a work its genius.
If its for real then it is odd for WWE to make it so public and sad that he is moving on.

It just puts too much focus on things WWE normally doesn't traditionally make light of, especially with AEW coming soon.

Last edited by Kelkee; 01-31-19 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Kelkee is offline  
Old 01-31-19, 08:19 AM
  #216  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,412
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Kairi is great and Io is a great partner for her. The match last night on NXT was hopefully a foreshadowing of what is to come.

Kairi makes such a good face. Plus I think she is much more relatable as a character (the Pirate Princess) than Auska. What exactly is an Empress of Tomorrow? Auska is great in the ring but her character leaves me scratching my head and her mic skills don't help convey anything about her personality.

Kairi's whole character comes thru without mic skills.
Kelkee is offline  
Old 01-31-19, 08:53 AM
  #217  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,824
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by Kelkee View Post
Kairi is great and Io is a great partner for her. The match last night on NXT was hopefully a foreshadowing of what is to come.

Kairi makes such a good face. Plus I think she is much more relatable as a character (the Pirate Princess) than Auska. What exactly is an Empress of Tomorrow? Auska is great in the ring but her character leaves me scratching my head and her mic skills don't help convey anything about her personality.

Kairi's whole character comes thru without mic skills.
Asuka worked better when they started to turn her heel in her last days of NXT. Then the "nobody is ready for Asuka" line actually works.
Timber is offline  
Old 01-31-19, 10:49 AM
  #218  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,934
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

I still say that Vince needs to bring more managers. Lashley value has gone up since Lio Rush became his manager. Several talent in the company like Ronda Rousey will be better served if they had a manager. Also, WWE needs to bring back stables.
Red Hood is offline  
Old 01-31-19, 12:02 PM
  #219  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 5,081
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I still say that Vince needs to bring more managers. Lashley value has gone up since Lio Rush became his manager. Several talent in the company like Ronda Rousey will be better served if they had a manager. Also, WWE needs to bring back stables.
Agree on all counts. Just think about all of the great managers in pro wrestling history? Booby Heenan, Classy Freddie Blassie, JJ Dillion, Paul Ellering and Jim Cornette just to name a few.

Sonny Corinthos is offline  
Old 01-31-19, 12:14 PM
  #220  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,112
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

They've been against managers and factions (which in my mind kind of go hand in hand) for a while now. I remember back when Heyman took on Cesaro, I thought cool, a faction is forming, and they just did absolutely nothing with it. But Swagger and Cesaro got over with the help of Mantell, so I don't know. And Balor Club lasted like less than a month, right?

The only reason Heyman is even around is because Brock can't be there all the time.

I'm hoping with the new tag team women's titles, they'll put a bit more emphasis on tag teams because that's certainly one way to pair a decent talker with a developing one.
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-31-19, 12:19 PM
  #221  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,560
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

VKM doesn't like managers in modern wrestling because he can't control what they say.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 01-31-19, 12:20 PM
  #222  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,774
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I having been reading the whole Dean Ambrose is leaving is a storyline. It makes sense. Why would WWE put out a release saying a superstar is leaving after his contract is up after WrestleMania? Or it could be true. Remember he said something to say after his match with Rollins but was interrupted by Jax and het tag team partner. (Forgot her name) At this point, who knows for sure?
There are parts of this that make it seem like a work. WWE announcing it was a big one. On Raw, it also seemed like they were ready to start a Dean/HHH feud too. If that's the case, then a "I'm leaving the company" bit makes sense to set up a Mania match between them.

If we see Dean on TV at any point between now and April, you'll know it's a work. It doesn't make sense to have someone leaving the company - and likely going to a competitor - be on TV at all. Even to bury him.
Goat3001 is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 06:44 AM
  #223  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,334
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

I hope they don't mess up Lynch vs Rousey by adding Charlotte to the mix.

My prediction is that by the end of Wrestlemania, Becky will have the Raw title, Charlotte will have the Smackdown title, and Bailey & Sasha will have the Tag Titles. And the show will close with the Four Horsewomen on the stage (or in the ring) holding their belts.

That would be an awesome visual that could become an iconic image for this era.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 08:48 AM
  #224  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 9,628
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I hope they don't mess up Lynch vs Rousey by adding Charlotte to the mix.

My prediction is that by the end of Wrestlemania, Becky will have the Raw title, Charlotte will have the Smackdown title, and Bailey & Sasha will have the Tag Titles. And the show will close with the Four Horsewomen on the stage (or in the ring) holding their belts.

That would be an awesome visual that could become an iconic image for this era.
One of the many problems with this era is how predictable it is. Almost everyone has predicted this and I think you are spot on with what will happen.
starseed1981 is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 03:02 PM
  #225  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,934
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
One of the many problems with this era is how predictable it is. Almost everyone has predicted this and I think you are spot on with what will happen.
It's predictable, but it should happen.
Red Hood is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.