Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Old 01-28-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
that was quite possibly the best PPV in a long time.

all the finishes made sense. All of them. Becky will headline and main event WM against Ronda. Seth is now the king slayer. They made Finn look hella strong in that loss and also made a brock match entertaining. Asuka had to win to setup the comeback for Becky. Aj Styles needed to lose.
I agree with this somewhat. It seems to set up the story lines rather nicely but ultimately will depend what the payoffs are at Wrestlemania.
Old 01-28-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Because they are wrestling marks. And that's ok. But the thing is, that is the only audience the WWE has left at this point. The 2.5-3 million people that suffer through a 3 hour Raw every week are the line in the sand.
Sadly this is true. I'm an old school NWA/JCP mark that hasn't let go of the love and excitement I got out of renting Starrcade 86. I enjoy what used to be professional wrestling and yet realize that I'm never going to get that back. NXT gives me some of that feeling back and I watch the main roster out of some sort of obligation.
Old 01-28-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So Elias is heel again?
Old 01-28-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Please get Rousey out of the ring. She’s awful.
Old 01-28-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good Lord did Ronda choke on the mic tonight. Sending Bayley out there was a mercy killing.

She tried to get hard on Becky, but it came off as a try hard .
Old 01-29-19, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Becky Lynch always looks to me like she is currently enjoying the smell of her own fart.
Old 01-29-19, 07:25 AM

According to multiple sites, Dean Ambrose has given his notice to WWE. His contract expires right around Wrestlemania. I imagine thatís why heís put over 3 people in 2 days, by getting eliminated by Alisteir Black, pinned clean by Rollins and pushed around by Tamina and Nia
Old 01-29-19, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Becky Lynch always looks to me like she is currently enjoying the smell of her own fart.
I know I would
Old 01-29-19, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
According to multiple sites, Dean Ambrose has given his notice to WWE. His contract expires right around Wrestlemania. I imagine thatís why heís put over 3 people in 2 days, by getting eliminated by Alisteir Black, pinned clean by Rollins and pushed around by Tamina and Nia
Dean isn't enjoying this nonsensical character that he's playing? Interesting that Rollins is one of his best friends and he's married to a Raw announcer and he wants to walk. Would Renee be far behind? Perhaps teaming with JR on AEW?
Old 01-29-19, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TOP WWE STAR GIVES NOTICE

By [email protected] on 2019-01-29 07:40:00Former WWE Champion Dean Ambrose officially informed World Wrestling Entertainment yesterday that he would be leaving the company when his current deal expires this Spring, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

The news that Ambrose had given notice was first broken overnight by the Pro Wrestling Torch.

PWInsider.com sources have independently confirmed that Ambrose was offered a new, five year contract worth a little over seven figures per year, but turned the deal down. The news that Ambrose had given notice had been kept very quiet during last night's Raw taping but began to spread among wrestlers after the show was over. One source categorized the move as Ambrose being able to "do what he wants" as he doesn't live an expensive lifestyle and has made great money over his WWE run.

Ambrose signed with a WWE developmental deal in 2011 and was brought up to the main roster as one-third of The Shield in 2012. He's been a featured performer his entire WWE run, but was out of action for an extended period following a triceps tear that required multiple surgeries in 2017 and 2018. Ambrose returned to WWE storylines in August 2018 and had been embroiled in a feud with Seth Rollins in recent months. We are told that last night's Raw match was designed to close the story of that feud.

While Ambrose was a popular talent who worked main events on house shows and was extremely popular, he was never a pushed star as the centerpiece of the company in the same vein as a Roman Reigns or John Cena, but held the WWE title, the WWE Intercontinental Championship, the United States title, The Raw Tag Team Championship and was involved in a number of major angles and storylines.

PWInsider.com is told that Ambrose is currently expected to close out his WWE run in April or May, but was cautioned that the company could always attempt to come back with another offer to lock him in for more money or a shorter-term deal. Ambrose was eliminated from the Royal Rumble by Aleister Black to give a rub to the NXT star. WWE appeared to begin a story with Nia Jax and Ambrose last night, although whether they pull the trigger on an actual intergender match between the two, remains to be seen. If they do, Nia is surely going to be the victor.

With Ambrose expected to leave, at 33 years old, he would certainly be the most in-demand wrestler on the open market. With New Japan and AEW as possibilities, plus independent and signing dates, it's even possible Ambrose could make more than he was being offered by WWE to remain. As of today, he is heading towards the WWE exit door.
hopefully he takes his wife with him
Old 01-29-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually thought Ronda completely owned Becky at the end of their promo and that's probably the best she's ever been on the mic. She's right, Ronda could break Becky's face faster than Nia haha. I've always thought that promos rooted in reality work the best. What I don't understand, is who on the glam squad turned Becky into an oompa loopma? Maybe it was just my TV but she came across as orange as a bag of Cuties.

As for Ambrose....whatever. NXT is literally a wrestler factory. Everyone is instantly replaceable. I do hope Renee leaves with him and they give her mic spot to Maria Kanellis.
Old 01-29-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last night was the first time I have seen Rousey rattled. You could tell she didn't enjoy getting booed one bit. She might as well get used to it because the crowds are on fire for Becky. As for Ambrose, he's stupid if he think there is something out there better for him. I read where WWE offered him a massive contract to stay. If he walks away from that kind of money, he's dumber than I thought. I don't see Renee[COLOR=left=#222222] leaving her prime spot on the Raw announce team.[/COLOR]

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 01-29-19 at 09:10 AM. Reason: This new board layout is nuts. You can't even edit your own posts!
Old 01-29-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ambrose is apparently pretty frugal and has made his money, I wouldn't call him stupid for leaving. I'm sure if he wanted to he could get a pretty penny from AEW, maybe not as much as WWE but if the schedule is lighter that might be better for him. Or maybe he wants to go to Japan or something.

Now if he shows up next week on TNA (on the home shopping network or wherever they're airing now), then I'll agree with your assessment.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-29-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the independent scene is hotter than it's ever been. Known talents can very easily charge up to $2500 per appearance and that's before photo ops / meet & greets. If he just wants to work weekends in metropolitan areas then he will be more than fine.
Old 01-29-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So now it's official that it will be Rollins vs Lesnar on the Raw side, who do you think Daniel Bryan will face at WrestleMania?
Old 01-29-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of his colleagues on the roster, when asked tonight about Dean’s demeanor lately and if there were any signs of discontent, said “he’s pretty much impossible to read.” He added, though, that Dean “hates hokey sh–” and, since so much of his character has been portrayed as hokey in the last few years, he’s not surprised that would have built up frustration leading to a breaking point.
Joey Ryan
If Dean Ambrose hates hokey shit, he’s gonna love the first indie to book him vs. me.
Old 01-29-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
So now it's official that it will be Rollins vs Lesnar on the Raw side, who do you think Daniel Bryan will face at WrestleMania?
It really would have been great for it to be face Miz vs heel Bryan. The entire feud would take a drastic turn from last time and a culmination for the WWE title at Mania makes a lot of sense.

But that doesn't seem to be happening - and my guess is that the #1 contender will be decided at Elimination Chamber and it's likely it'll be a face. Rusev or Kofi Kingston (with New Day) would be great fodder for 'new' Daniel Bryan. A returning Kevin Owens or Sami Zayn would be great, assuming they're pushed as a face upon return. And after the Rumble, they seem pretty high on Andrade - who I believe was the last remaining SD guy. Mustafa Ali is another good choice but he seems to be in line for a feud with Samoa Joe.

Lots of options - and while I like AJ Styles as much as the next guy, I hope it's not him. That feud needs to be done and buried.
Old 01-29-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember back last summer hearing rumblings that the Bryan/Miz feud would be dragged out until Wrestlemania but didn't know how they would do it but could work now. With that said it sure looks like a McMahon/Miz match is on the horizon.
Old 01-29-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd love to see Andrade Cien Almas(!) get elevated cause the guy is pretty awesome. I don't want to see him switch face though so I'll wait.
Old 01-29-19, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
My understanding is that Randy Orton of all people, is going to face Daniel Bryan for the title. Other than the RKO's, what does Randy bring to the table at this point? I certainly would prefer that Daniel Bryan face AJ Styles again, but let them do their own thing instead of pushing the WWE style.
Old 01-29-19, 02:21 PM

By the way, Jeff Jarret's appearances last night are part of his new contract with the company. JJ will now work backstage and make appearances in front of the camera here and there.
Old 01-29-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
By the way, Jeff Jarret's appearances last night are part of his new contract with the company. JJ will now work backstage and make appearances in front of the camera here and there.
Nice, can't wait to see him book himself as champion.
Old 01-29-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Nice, can't wait to see him book himself as champion.
Over AJ Styles too.
Old 01-29-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Over AJ Styles too.
And Monty Brown. And Chris Harris. And Abyss. Etc.
Old 01-29-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Charlotte will be Asuka's opponent at WrestleMania or that's what i'm hoping. Please don't wedge her in to Ronda and Becky's match.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.