Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Old 10-09-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Here it is - the full show!

The best Pro Wrestling show in 2019...

This is fantastic. Everything about it is spot on. It's self-aware of everything.
Old 10-09-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I might watch the NWA show just for the fact that Cornette is on commentary.
Old 10-09-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, NWA POWERRR has the best theme song in wrestling...

(In my not so humble opinion, the only one that counts. )
Surprised that Dokken licensed it. It reminded me a lot of the old NWA WCW Saturday shows.
Old 10-09-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's so weird to me that the top of the card in AEW, WWE, and NWA are filled with guys TNA had and they were never really able to get over the hump. So much pretty much home-grown talent.
Old 10-09-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
It's so weird to me that the top of the card in AEW, WWE, and NWA are filled with guys TNA had and they were never really able to get over the hump. So much pretty much home-grown talent.
In WWE, it's just Styles, isn't it (Joe is close, but never quite there)? He's a one of a kind talent. And TNA, it was easily destroyed because of mismanagement.
Old 10-09-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In better hands TNA could have been more if you ask me. Dixie Carter really did a lot to screw things up if you ask me. Such as hiring pretty much any ex-talent (a lot of whom were rejects for a reason), hiring Vince Russo, bringing Hogan and Bischoff in when both were there for a paycheck more than anything, trying to go head to head with Raw in prime time in Mondayís.

Hiring Russo especially was a critical error if you ask me as thatís what ultimately cost them their deal with Spike. I donít think they ever fully recovered from that as thatís the point where Impact was tossed from network to network like a hot potato.

I really think TNA had a streak from like 2005 to 2007 where they seemed like a good alternative to WWE. Theyíve managed to find a bit of a niche as Impact Wrestling, but I still donít think theyíre quite what they were.
Old 10-09-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The numbers for NWA Powerrr are exceeding expectations. And the reaction has been universally and overwhelmingly positive.

The growth of the NWA continues. Lagana and Corgan are doing a great job and have a great long term plan.

All the industry naysayers who mocked Corgan for buying the NWA look pretty stupid today...
Old 10-09-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How will the NWA bring in the dollars to keep it afloat?

Please,please,please don't do PPVs.

Anything but that.
Old 10-09-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
How will the NWA bring in the dollars to keep it afloat?

Please,please,please don't do PPVs.

Anything but that.
PPV's.

Other than that I have no idea. But Corgan and Lagana do. Everything has run according to plan so far...
Old 10-09-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just caught the NWA Powerrr show and loved it. Maybe it's just nostalgia. Brought back memories of WTBS at 6:05pm on Saturdays. I'm sure Bob Caudle and Gordon Solie are somewhere smiling. I thought all the wrestlers did a good job with their mic time and ring time.
Old 10-09-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jon Moxley needs a new look. The one he has right now is too plain. He's not buff, so the whole black short trunks and kneepads looks odd.
Old 10-09-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Random thoughts:

Haven't gotten into this NWA thing but watched Powerrr and loved it. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's Cornette but I missed studio wrestling. Or maybe it's just Kamille. Holy shit where has she been all my life.

Jericho looks like shit.

I've never seen Sammy Guevera until last week but there is something about him. He might not be a star because of his size but the kid has got it.

The look between the 2 shows is so striking but I hope WWE panic and start taking NXT on the road.

What is with Omega's facial expressions?
Old 10-10-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel that the problem with Jerichoís look is that he bulked up instead of slimming down as he aged. Also, the pectoral fractures that he had have been affecting how his upper body looks. I feel it would benefit him to more in a Shawn Michaels exercise type so Jericho can slim down but still look strong
Old 10-10-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
In better hands TNA could have been more if you ask me. Dixie Carter really did a lot to screw things up if you ask me. Such as hiring pretty much any ex-talent (a lot of whom were rejects for a reason), hiring Vince Russo, bringing Hogan and Bischoff in when both were there for a paycheck more than anything, trying to go head to head with Raw in prime time in Mondayís.

Hiring Russo especially was a critical error if you ask me as thatís what ultimately cost them their deal with Spike. I donít think they ever fully recovered from that as thatís the point where Impact was tossed from network to network like a hot potato.

I really think TNA had a streak from like 2005 to 2007 where they seemed like a good alternative to WWE. Theyíve managed to find a bit of a niche as Impact Wrestling, but I still donít think theyíre quite what they were.
There are a lot of dirt sheet misnomers out there about TNA. Russo lead their creative between 2006-2010. He was also the main writer between their inception and mid 2004. Sports Entertainment Extreme, the push of AJ Styles, the push of Ron Killings, America's Most Wanted...all Russo. Things like Team Canada, Three Live Kru...all Scott D'Amore. TNA was really fine until Spike brought in Hogan / Bischoff. There was no coming back from the fat Dudley brother leading a past it's prime biker club. Bringing in the Nasty Boys, Orlando Jordan, the push of Bubba Dudley, the attempted push of Chris Sabin to main event status, etc....all the Bischoff / Hogan regime. Russo had nothing to do with them losing the Spike deal.
Old 10-10-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"We the people sucks and it's dead and buried. It was a stupid idea from bad creative and all that's gone".

This man really is the g.o.a.t.
Old 10-10-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know why they are making such a big deal about the draft when wrestlers show up on both shows at any time.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/...OX-Executives/
Old 10-10-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
There are a lot of dirt sheet misnomers out there about TNA. Russo lead their creative between 2006-2010. He was also the main writer between their inception and mid 2004. Sports Entertainment Extreme, the push of AJ Styles, the push of Ron Killings, America's Most Wanted...all Russo. Things like Team Canada, Three Live Kru...all Scott D'Amore. TNA was really fine until Spike brought in Hogan / Bischoff. There was no coming back from the fat Dudley brother leading a past it's prime biker club. Bringing in the Nasty Boys, Orlando Jordan, the push of Bubba Dudley, the attempted push of Chris Sabin to main event status, etc....all the Bischoff / Hogan regime. Russo had nothing to do with them losing the Spike deal.
What Iíve always heard is that at a certain point Spike told TNA management not to re-hire Russo and they went against that (trying to hide it from Spike) and thatís what ultimately led to Spike canning them.
Old 10-10-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I don't know why they are making such a big deal about the draft when wrestlers show up on both shows at any time.

It was funny when Aleister Black was doing a squash and the announcers were like "can you imagine if Aleister Black was drafted to RAW???" And it was a match on Raw.
Old 10-10-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the word going around that there will be no more cross branded wrestlers. it will be smackdown and raw exclusive. they will only intermingle on PPVS
Old 10-10-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
The Bubba storyline actually gets praised and helped Bubba get his career going again. And I like Sabin. Thought he could have broken out too. Def didn't need Hogan's friends, though.

Because with this Fox/USA thing now, there won't be jumping like that anymore.
Old 10-10-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, the Ace's and Eight's story line increased ratings. It went on too long and got nonsensical but it got people to buy into Bubba/Bully.
Old 10-10-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NWA POWERRR has topped 251,000 views on YouTube, and over 70,000 on Facebook.

That is pretty impressive. Far beyond their previous high views. (About 5 times higher...)
Old 10-10-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All the industry naysayers who mocked Corgan for buying the NWA look pretty stupid today...
I mean really you canít blame them that much. The NWA as an organization was largely dead for quite a long time before Corgan came along. Good on him that heís made it a success, but for a long time it was basically a namesake that had little relevance.
Old 10-10-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

I mean really you canít blame them that much. The NWA as an organization was largely dead for quite a long time before Corgan came along. Good on him that heís made it a success, but for a long time it was basically a namesake that had little relevance.
He's also gotta be bleeding money at this point. If I'm wrong, then I'll be amazed. They've done a great job limiting their costs and building slowly but the next steps will be key.
Old 10-10-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WWE ANNOUNCES DRAFT DETAILS, CELEBRITY INVOLVEMENT

By [email protected] on 2019-10-10 14:16:00WWE announced the following:

Star-studded celebrity lineup, including Alex Rodriguez, Michael Che and Colin Jost, to take part in WWE Draft

The stars will be out for the WWE Draft.

Fourteen-time MLB All-Star and FOX analyst Alex Rodriguez, "Saturday Night Live’s" Michael Che and Colin Jost of “Weekend Update” segments, "Mr. Robot's" Christian Slater, “NFL on FOX’s” Joe Buck and Pro Football Hall of Famer Troy Aikman, and “Mad Money” host Jim Cramer are among the celebrities set to take part.

The WWE Draft will determine the rosters of Raw and SmackDown. It begins tomorrow on Friday Night SmackDown at 8 ET/5 PT on FOX and continues Monday on Raw at 8/7 C on USA Network.

Additional personalities scheduled to appear include:
  • Kevin Burkhardt and Frank Thomas — FOX MLB analysts
  • Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, Jimmy Johnson and Tony Gonzalez — FOX NFL Sunday
  • Ronde Barber, Charles Davis, Chris Spielman and Daryl Johnston — FOX NFL analysts
  • Charissa Thompson, Michael Vick and Peter Schrager — FOX NFL Kickoff
  • Rob Stone, Brady Quinn, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart and Urban Meyer — Big Noon Kickoff
  • Joel Klatt — FOX College Football analyst
  • Dulť Hill of USA’s “Psych” and “Suits”
  • James Roday of “Psych”
  • Marcus Lemonis of “The Profit”
  • Margaret Josephs and Melissa Gorga of “Real Housewives of New Jersey”
  • Rodney Harrison and Chris Simms — Football Night in America
  • Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Mustoe and Kyle Martino — Premier League Live
Below is the full list of WWE Draft rules:
  • Over 70 Superstars, as well as tag teams, are eligible for selection in this year’s WWE Draft
  • SmackDown will draft 30 Superstars, and Raw will select another 41 Superstars
  • Since SmackDown is a two-hour show and Raw is a three-hour show, for every two picks SmackDown makes, Raw will receive three
  • Tag teams will count as one pick unless FOX or USA Network specifically wants to pick only one Superstar from the team
  • Any undrafted Superstars will immediately be declared free agents and able to sign with the brand of their choosing
thats the interesting line. hopefully they make that part interesting.

the celebrities only push the FOX deal part.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.