Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Old 09-05-19, 03:44 PM
  #1676  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 6,149
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Not to defend WWE and Vince as they are one step above pond scum, but let’s not forget the legends contracts they give out plus for not having medical insurance a lot of the old timers have been helped out. Flair is just a bitter old man. He has certainly shown his true colors over last number of years.
Deadman31 is online now  
Old 09-05-19, 03:48 PM
  #1677  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,013
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Vince also gave out huge personal loans to Ric. Pretty disappointing stuff.
Hazel Motes is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 08:24 AM
  #1678  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,905
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

I have to be reading the King of the Ring tournament brackets wrong? From y untrained eye it looks like either Baron Corbin or Chad Gable will be the KotR? They wouldn't really do that would they?
Timber is online now  
Old 09-10-19, 08:50 AM
  #1679  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 6,149
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

I read that Flair just signed a sneaker deal with Adidas and I know he promotes Cumberland Farms around here. So he must
pull in some decent money from these deals
Deadman31 is online now  
Old 09-10-19, 11:35 PM
  #1680  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,013
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

I'm going to a Bret Hart wrestling story/q&a show on Thursday. I'm doing the meet and greet as well. When I was 16 I met and had my photo taken with Owen Hart. This was early 1999. I had the photo blown up and was planning on showing it to Bret and having him sign it. I thought it would be a pretty cool moment for me and one that Bret might appreciate. I'm just going back and forth as to whether or not Bret would be responsive to it or if it would be a bad idea. He always talks about Owen and how much he loved him. So I hope it isn't a bad idea or in poor taste.
Hazel Motes is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 09:25 AM
  #1681  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Just around the corner to the light of day.
Posts: 12,478
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I'm going to a Bret Hart wrestling story/q&a show on Thursday. I'm doing the meet and greet as well. When I was 16 I met and had my photo taken with Owen Hart. This was early 1999. I had the photo blown up and was planning on showing it to Bret and having him sign it. I thought it would be a pretty cool moment for me and one that Bret might appreciate. I'm just going back and forth as to whether or not Bret would be responsive to it or if it would be a bad idea. He always talks about Owen and how much he loved him. So I hope it isn't a bad idea or in poor taste.
I got to interview Bret for an article a few years ago and not just one of those 15min things. We chatted for a solid hour and the guy answered everything asked. We talked a bit about Owen and he seemed very appreciative to that. I'd say he'd be ok with it. One of nicest people I've interviewed, a fountain of wrestling knowledge.

ViewAskewbian is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 03:55 PM
  #1682  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,003
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

So Kevin Owens is going back to NXT?

Red Hood is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 08:45 AM
  #1683  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,709
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
So Kevin Owens is going back to NXT?

https://twitter.com/fightowensfight/...168594433?s=21

dont get what this means.. is that what that means?
raven56706 is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 09:21 AM
  #1684  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 8,947
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

This is great news!

B5Erik is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 09:59 AM
  #1685  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 5,496
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
So Kevin Owens is going back to NXT?

https://twitter.com/fightowensfight/...168594433?s=21
Does this meant NXT is officially the 3rd brand now? If NXT is supposed to be a developmental brand, I don't see how this works being on the USA Network every week.
Sonny Corinthos is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 11:29 AM
  #1686  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,142
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
dont get what this means.. is that what that means?
14-24-20

14th letter
24th letter
20th letter

NXT
GuessWho is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 11:30 AM
  #1687  
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,664
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

NXT has been a 3rd brand for a while and their product has been for quite some time far and away better than main roster garbage. Some people want to call it minor leagues and that is BS. Watch NXT Takeover NY from this year and I dare anyone to call it minor league.
GCS is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 11:33 AM
  #1688  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,188
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

By the way, thanks to whoever reminded me in this thread that NXT is on Hulu. I haven't had WWE Network in a long time so catching up on this stuff is awesome, and they have Takeover too.
fujishig is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 12:01 PM
  #1689  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,142
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by GCS View Post
NXT has been a 3rd brand for a while and their product has been for quite some time far and away better than main roster garbage. Some people want to call it minor leagues and that is BS. Watch NXT Takeover NY from this year and I dare anyone to call it minor league.
As long as terms like "call up" and "main roster" are used, WWE will continue that perception.
GuessWho is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 12:49 PM
  #1690  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 9,782
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by GCS View Post
NXT has been a 3rd brand for a while and their product has been for quite some time far and away better than main roster garbage. Some people want to call it minor leagues and that is BS. Watch NXT Takeover NY from this year and I dare anyone to call it minor league.
Their "wrestling product" may be better than the main roster but NXT is minor league It's a developmental group for individuals learning at their training center. There's plenty of guys who have been superstars there and flamed out immediately once on the main roster.
starseed1981 is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 02:35 PM
  #1691  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,375
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

If they are getting a prime time show then they can't really be in the minor anymore. Getting elite talent like Kevin Owens to go there is one way to start changing the image.Their look will still be different than other WWE programs but they won't just be developmental anymore. Just like AEW they will be an alternative to what is already out there.
BrewCrew is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 10:09 PM
  #1692  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,003
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Triple H told Newsweek that 205 Live will cancelled and that the wrestlers and championship from that brand will be integrated to NXT. That means that other than PPVs and so far Takeovers, will be the only live wrestling that the network will have on a monthly basis. It will be really hard for WWE now to change things into tiers in the network to justify a plan increase.

The other big news this week is that Anthem, owner of Impact Wrestling, has acquired AXS TV and will move Impact to that channel. Anthem also fired everyone who worked on the wrestling side of AXSTV in Dallas, so now the status of New Japan and Women of Wrestling shows is up in the air.
Red Hood is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 10:16 PM
  #1693  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,188
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Oh, interesting, Cuban sold AXS?
fujishig is offline  
Old 09-13-19, 02:32 AM
  #1694  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,013
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Went to the Bret Hart show tonight. 500+ people sold out. It was an amazing night. He told some great stories. When I got up on stage for the meet and greet, as I was taking the photo of me and Owen out I said that it always broke my heart that I never got it signed and asked if he would. Bret looked sort of stunned for a moment and was quiet, he didn't say anything, he was just looking at the blown up photo. So I said that I hoped it wasn't an innapropriate request. Bret said "not at all" and that he was "always happy to see a picture of Owen smiling". Then I quickly told him the story of the picture and how nice Owen was to all the fans. Bret said that he was happy I got to have my moment with him. I told him that that moment and this moment were ones that I'd remember my whole life. We shook hands and posed for a picture. I nearly cried . I wanted to ask if we could recreate the standing shoulder to shoulder look of the Owen picture, but I was nervous and my brain was frazzeled , so I forgot to ask. But I'm so glad I met him.

The Singh Brothers were also there and I got a picture with them. During intermission there was a spot to go write down your question for Bret and then someone with a mic would come around and you'd get to ask it. Right there beside it there was some sort of prize draw. As an after thought I put my name in, and ended up winning the damn thing. A brand new autographed tag team set of the Singh Brothers. Not too shabby.

I didn't get to ask my question though which was going to be:

With the Hart Foundation finally getting their long overdue induction into the HOF, the logical next step would be for the British Bulldogs to get inducted, but it seems like over the past 25 years the WWE has gone out of their way to distance themselves from Tom Billington, do you think theres a chance that Davey and Dynamite might go in together or do you think Davey Boy might go in solo?

Oh well, hes doing another show here next month because this one sold out so fast and the show only covered from his childhood to 1992 when wrestled Davey Boy at Wembley. So maybe ill still get my shot.

Also, there were video promos sent in from Dolph Ziggler and Raven who are both coming to do a show at the same venue in the future.

Anyhow, all in all it was an amazing night.

PS there was a guy in the crowd who yelled out SHAWN MICHAELS IS A F*GGOT. During intermission someone from the venue came out on stage to say that he was kicked out and that he was not welcome back, and that we don't tolerate that language. Which got one of the biggest pops of the night. It was a great moment.





Last edited by Hazel Motes; 09-13-19 at 02:47 AM.
Hazel Motes is offline  
Old 09-13-19, 09:42 AM
  #1695  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,003
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Went to the Bret Hart show tonight. 500+ people sold out. It was an amazing night. He told some great stories. When I got up on stage for the meet and greet, as I was taking the photo of me and Owen out I said that it always broke my heart that I never got it signed and asked if he would. Bret looked sort of stunned for a moment and was quiet, he didn't say anything, he was just looking at the blown up photo. So I said that I hoped it wasn't an innapropriate request. Bret said "not at all" and that he was "always happy to see a picture of Owen smiling". Then I quickly told him the story of the picture and how nice Owen was to all the fans. Bret said that he was happy I got to have my moment with him. I told him that that moment and this moment were ones that I'd remember my whole life. We shook hands and posed for a picture. I nearly cried . I wanted to ask if we could recreate the standing shoulder to shoulder look of the Owen picture, but I was nervous and my brain was frazzeled , so I forgot to ask. But I'm so glad I met him.

The Singh Brothers were also there and I got a picture with them. During intermission there was a spot to go write down your question for Bret and then someone with a mic would come around and you'd get to ask it. Right there beside it there was some sort of prize draw. As an after thought I put my name in, and ended up winning the damn thing. A brand new autographed tag team set of the Singh Brothers. Not too shabby.

I didn't get to ask my question though which was going to be:

With the Hart Foundation finally getting their long overdue induction into the HOF, the logical next step would be for the British Bulldogs to get inducted, but it seems like over the past 25 years the WWE has gone out of their way to distance themselves from Tom Billington, do you think theres a chance that Davey and Dynamite might go in together or do you think Davey Boy might go in solo?

Oh well, hes doing another show here next month because this one sold out so fast and the show only covered from his childhood to 1992 when wrestled Davey Boy at Wembley. So maybe ill still get my shot.

Also, there were video promos sent in from Dolph Ziggler and Raven who are both coming to do a show at the same venue in the future.

Anyhow, all in all it was an amazing night.

PS there was a guy in the crowd who yelled out SHAWN MICHAELS IS A F*GGOT. During intermission someone from the venue came out on stage to say that he was kicked out and that he was not welcome back, and that we don't tolerate that language. Which got one of the biggest pops of the night. It was a great moment.




Man, thatís so awesome. Bret has always been a class act and a guy who truly cares about the fans. Itís really awesome you experienced this.
Red Hood is offline  
Old 09-13-19, 09:46 AM
  #1696  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,003
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Oh, interesting, Cuban sold AXS?
Yes, to Steve Harvey and Anthem. I really love that channel as it reminds me a lot of VH1 during their heyday and would really hate that it gets changed by the new owners. AXS music documentaries and live performances are pretty great and itís kinda the last place to find this kind of stuff on TV other than PBS
Red Hood is offline  
Old 09-13-19, 01:52 PM
  #1697  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,375
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Very cool story Hazel and thanks for sharing the pictures. Unfortunate you couldn't get the Owen picture signed but nice you were able to meet both Owen and Bret.
BrewCrew is offline  
Old 09-13-19, 04:07 PM
  #1698  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,142
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Anthem & Steve Harvey have the controlling share, but Cuban still has a smaller piece of AXS
GuessWho is offline  
Old 09-15-19, 12:57 AM
  #1699  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
DaveWadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,887
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Went to a taping of Championship Wrestling from Arizona that finished with an NWA Title match between Peter Avalon and Nick Aldis. Was very good.

Future 10 Pounds of Gold spoilers:

Spoiler:
Aldis wins and Tim Storm comes out and challenges him to his "one and only rematch."
DaveWadding is offline  
Old 09-15-19, 02:54 AM
  #1700  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 8,947
Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
Future 10 Pounds of Gold spoilers:

Spoiler:
Aldis wins and Tim Storm comes out and challenges him to his "one and only rematch."
Ohhhhh, yeah! I hope that ends up happening on the 30th or the 1st and is shown on the new NWA show!
B5Erik is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.