Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Old 01-17-19, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-h1pIAFYSM

[color=left=#333333]NWA President Billy Corgan and NWA Worlds Champion Nick Aldis appeared on Good Day Charlotte to talk about the upcoming Crockett Cup event coming to Concord, NC on April 27th, 2019 in partnership with Ring of Honor Wrestling. [/color]

[color=left=#333333]In this appearance, Billy Corgan answers questions on his love for professional wrestling, why he bought the NWA (National Wrestling Alliance). Nick Aldis talks about the importance of wrestling in the landmark cities of the NWA including Atlanta, GA. [/color]

[color=left=#333333]The NWA and Ring of Honor Wrestling are partnering to return the classic Crockett Cup event to Cabaruss Arena in Concord, NC. [/color]

Well now I'm interested.
Old 01-17-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is no indication that AEW is a realistic alternative. It is an alternative for indie wrestlers but no comparison between WWE and AEW pay. Could believe Dustin just because he is family but AEW isn't stealing top talent anytime soon or ever.
Old 01-17-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I'm not up to speed on this thing with NJPW. What's going on there?
Pretty much the entire locker room, sans Tanahashi, is upset with the management of the company, the fact that they are foreign and the direction they want to head in.
Old 01-17-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Timber View Post

Well now I'm interested.
Sounds interesting.

I am surprised the WWE never had a Crockett Cup Tournament.

I think VKM respected JCP and I would expect the Crockett Family too be inducted in to the WWE HoF(if they aren't in already).
Old 01-17-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
There is no indication that AEW is a realistic alternative. It is an alternative for indie wrestlers but no comparison between WWE and AEW pay. Could believe Dustin just because he is family but AEW isn't stealing top talent anytime soon or ever.
Jericho mentioned he signed for the most money he's ever signed for. Not everyone is going to get that level of contract, but none of those guys listed are even being used at the moment (I don't know for sure because I haven't been watching, but Bennett especially just disappeared).
Old 01-17-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Even if only a few guy's get big contract's it opens up roster spots in NJW,WWE etc for guys.The more companies signing people is always better for wrestlers
Old 01-17-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me it seems like another ROH. I don't really understand why ROH hasn't really caught on with a broader audience when you look at the talent that has gone through and is currently there.
Old 01-17-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To me it seems like another ROH. I don't really understand why ROH hasn't really caught on with a broader audience when you look at the talent that has gone through and is currently there.
The ROH roster from 2-4 years ago was absolutely insane. It put to shame any roster on the planet at the time.
Old 01-17-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
The ROH roster from 2-4 years ago was absolutely insane. It put to shame any roster on the planet at the time.
ROH lack of getting over with the mainstream audience has to do more with their lack of marketing, production and overall exposure of a secured, reasonable timeslot on TV. For example, their TV show in my area is sometimes on Saturday at noon and on Sundays at midnight on the local Fox station, which is part of the Sinclair group. There's no way to keep up with those weird hours. Also, they need to increase their production values. Mainstream audience are used to the bar set by WWE with their magnificent entrance and theme music for all wrestlers with pyro, etc. ROH doesn't have any of that and they have an amateurish, indy look.

TNA was close to becoming that until Vince Russo, Dixie Carter, Bischoff, Hogan and bad decisions by Jeff Jarrett got in the way. Their booking became too "Memphis" and when they were hitting their strides, Dixie came in and fucked everything up.

My hope is that Cody has learned from other people's mistakes and move forward with a product that has the good wrestling they have done with good storylines and production values. They also need that whatever secret TV deal they have becomes a reality on a TV network that really wants them with a time slot that is reasonable for people of all ages. And another thing, Joey Ryan may be popular on the internet, but his gimmick doesn't translate well to the mainstream audience. I hope they don't bring him along.
Old 01-17-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

. And another thing, Joey Ryan may be popular on the internet, but his gimmick doesn't translate well to the mainstream audience. I hope they don't bring him along.
The thing I liked most about All In, especially in contrast to WWE, was that the show featured such a wide variety of wrestling styles. Every match was a different flavor. To that end I liked that they tried something new by including someone like Joey Ryan. The shame of it is that comedy wrestling for the most part sucks and makes talent instantly stale if they get over with a comedy spot like Ryan did. The first time I saw the dick spot, it was good for a chuckle. The second time he did it, I was already completely over it. When I saw he was booked at the local indy promotion I frequent 6 months on, I contemplated not going. I agree that on a large weekly platform its just a plain bad idea. Having an in ring comedy gimmick at best just buries whoever the talent is, at worst it contaminates the entire product.
Old 01-19-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chris Jericho speaking for an hour straight giving detail on how he left WWE, how NJPW came about, his involvement in All In, changing role for Greatest Royal Rumble, and why he joined AEW. Along the way, he talks about his conversations with Vince McMahon through the process before every move and how their relationship stands now.

Old 01-19-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't know that Lakers owner Jeannie Buss is bankrolling Women of Wrestling on AXS

https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-owne...205404772.html
Old 01-19-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Chris Jericho speaking for an hour straight giving detail on how he left WWE, how NJPW came about, his involvement in All In, changing role for Greatest Royal Rumble, and why he joined AEW. Along the way, he talks about his conversations with Vince McMahon through the process before every move and how their relationship stands now.

Recap?
Old 01-22-19, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really liked the ending to Raw last night and feel that the women's division is actually being booked almost perfectly. Ronda's interview promo was actually really good too. I feel the reason the women's division for both brands is working so well is because they are focused on the brand titles instead of petty shit. Almost everyone in each women's roster shows that they want to be the champion and that makes things more interesting. I wonder why the men's division is not booked like this.
Old 01-22-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked the ending to Raw last night and feel that the women's division is actually being booked almost perfectly. Ronda's interview promo was actually really good too. I feel the reason the women's division for both brands is working so well is because they are focused on the brand titles instead of petty shit. Almost everyone in each women's roster shows that they want to be the champion and that makes things more interesting. I wonder why the men's division is not booked like this.
i have been saying this since. The womens division is the best thing going so far. Ronda, Becky, and others are stepping up their game. Loving it. Who knew right?
Old 01-24-19, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CHANGES TO IMPACT CREATIVE FOLLOWING TWO EXITS FROM COMPANY

By [email protected] on 2019-01-23 18:22:00Impact Wrestling Hall of Famer Abyss and Sonjay Dutt have both exited Impact Wrestling, PWInsider has confirmed.

The belief among multiple sources is that they are each WWE bound and will be working for WWE shortly. Impact Wrestling informed their roster of the departures in an email that wished each of them well.

Impact sources have described the departures amicable, categorizing the company as not wanting to hold back either of them from "great opportunities" that they were each offered.

Abyss had been working behind the scenes as a producer for the company. He was the longest tenured performer in company history, having started there in 2002. He had been with the promotion the entire time, with the exception of a short period where he exited as he was not under contract, before signing a new one and returning.

Dutt had been very involved in the creative side of impact, working with Don Callis, Scott D'Amore and Jimmy Jacobs. He worked for the company as a wrestler from 2003 through 2009, exiting and later returning during the time period where Jeff Jarrett came on board and brought his Global Force Wrestling braintrust with him. When Jarrett departed, Dutt remained and rose in power, eventually becoming one of the top writers and producers for the company.

PWInsider has confirmed that Konnan and Tommy Dreamer have been added to the Impact creative team as a result of Dutt's departure.
Old 01-24-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Itís funny that almost every Impact HOF ends up going to WWE shortly thereafter. I hope Abyss gets a good short run as a wrestler in WWE. He would be a good opponent for many there including the Undertaker and Brock Lesnar
Old 01-24-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't the rumor that a few years ago, Abyss was sought after by the WWE and he chose to stay with Impact? Dude has been super loyal, I'm glad he's getting a shot, even if it seems like they're more after his backstage presence at this point in his career.

Edited to add:
Abyss basically said on the Ross Report that he had an offer to do a program with the Undertaker in 2006 but chose to stay with TNA.

Old 01-24-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, WWE offered Abyss a contract to come in for a program with the Undertaker. Looking at the track record then with TNA wrestlers, Taker would have kept the streak going and Abyss would have been relegated to a jobber comedy act. Especially in 2006, when WWE was more PG than ever, Abyss would have stuck out in the company a sore thumb.
Old 01-24-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The stuff with Daniel Bryan is pretty good right now, guess the heel turn was the right decision.
Old 01-24-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The big rumor today is that Ronda Rousey will leave WWE after Wrestlemania. The reason is that she and her husband want to start a family. The ironic thing is that according to Bruce Prichard on his podcast, Vince and his team refused to book Goldberg as a monster face on his first run in the company because Bill was only on a 1 year deal. The reason Goldberg left after his contract was because of how badly booked he was. Now, Rousey has been booked like a monster face, knocking everyone down and winning the title almost immediately and the rumor is that she's leaving the company.
Old 01-24-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The big rumor today is that Ronda Rousey will leave WWE after Wrestlemania. The reason is that she and her husband want to start a family. The ironic thing is that according to Bruce Prichard on his podcast, Vince and his team refused to book Goldberg as a monster face on his first run in the company because Bill was only on a 1 year deal. The reason Goldberg left after his contract was because of how badly booked he was. Now, Rousey has been booked like a monster face, knocking everyone down and winning the title almost immediately and the rumor is that she's leaving the company.
That was a different situation, though, part of the Goldberg run had to have been lingering enmity towards WCW and Goldberg's run there, plus locker room politics (allegedly with HHH and Jericho).
Old 01-25-19, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by red hood View Post
the big rumor today is that ronda rousey will leave wwe after wrestlemania. The reason is that she and her husband want to start a family. The ironic thing is that according to bruce prichard on his podcast, vince and his team refused to book goldberg as a monster face on his first run in the company because bill was only on a 1 year deal. The reason goldberg left after his contract was because of how badly booked he was. Now, rousey has been booked like a monster face, knocking everyone down and winning the title almost immediately and the rumor is that she's leaving the company.

ronda rousey wwe contract update

by [email protected] on 2019-01-24 15:02:00tmz sports has a story on ronda rousey status with wwe following wrestlemania 35 after a report by dave meltzer caused doubt regarding her contractual status. According to his original report he stated that ronda "very good chance she is finishing up" around this year's wrestlemania but she is still signed to a multiyear agreement. Meltzer also stated that she would remain affiliated with the company in some fashion going forward.

Ronda rousey has publicly stated she has wanted to start a family soon.

The site reached out to a wwe spokesperson who said the following, "ronda rousey is under contract with wwe until april 10, 2021. Whether she wants to start a family is a private matter."
​​​​​​​
Old 01-26-19, 10:20 PM

Another great NXT PPV that puts all WWE PPVs to shame.

Although, I'm looking forward to the Rumble tomorrow. I'll probably be disappointed. But it seems like the Wrestlemania card is open to many possibilities. So it'll be interesting to see how things play out.
Old 01-26-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jack Swagger (Jake Hager) won his pro MMA debut tonight at the Bellator event after being brought to the ring by a rapping R-Truth.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.