Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Old 05-11-19, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

The world doesn't revolve around Conrad Thompson. The tapes were found recently and the WWE has this huge network so of course they should air it. Far more people will be able to see the footage now and whoever is going to that other event can still hear Hart/Magee talking about it.
Old 05-11-19, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
WWE NETWORK ANNOUNCES IT WILL NO LONGER SUPPORT SERVICE ON NUMEROUS OLDER DEVICES
This is absurd. Windows 10, Amazon Fire Tablets, PS3, Xbox 360, ATV3, and 2016 Smart TVs. We're not talking about ancient tech. This is extreme cost-cutting measures that'll screw over a huge percentage of their audience.
Old 05-11-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They are probably worried about these formats and their outdated security measures since they aren’t updated anymore and it could lead to increased piracy,
Old 05-11-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Iíve been following this Bret Hart/Magee story and I donít ever recall Thompson being involved.
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
The world doesn't revolve around Conrad Thompson. The tapes were found recently and the WWE has this huge network so of course they should air it. Far more people will be able to see the footage now and whoever is going to that other event can still hear Hart/Magee talking about it.
Conrad was the one who set up the whole panel as a big attraction for Starcast AFTER WWE canceled Taker and Angle for his event. Even though he didn't have nothing to do with finding the tapes, Conrad knew that this thing had enough of a cult audience that it would be a good attraction for his Starcast event. WWE could have aired this doc anytime they wanted, but of course they rushed it and promoted to this Monday to fuck Conrad 2 weeks before he event. Of course, WWE has the right to do that since it is their footage, but it's pretty clear that with the whole thing of cancelling Angle and Taker, not providing a replacement for them and now this, WWE is being petty to Conrad. I'm feeling that WWE is being petty to the wrestlers that want release like Sasha Banks, Luke Harper and the Revival as they would be ready to jump shit to AEW once they debut on TNT.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
This is absurd. Windows 10, Amazon Fire Tablets, PS3, Xbox 360, ATV3, and 2016 Smart TVs. We're not talking about ancient tech. This is extreme cost-cutting measures that'll screw over a huge percentage of their audience.
They are probably worried about these formats and their outdated security measures since they arenít updated anymore and it could lead to increased piracy,
I imagine it has to do with security updates. I know Sony and Microsoft basically has cut off updates on their PS3 and Xbox 360 systesm, but everything else, including Apple Tv 3rd gen, and tech from 2016 still being updated by the companies so I agree with BigDave on this.
Old 05-11-19, 10:40 AM

The rumor is that sponsors have gotten a hold of Lars comments after fan complaints. Lars has been held back from appearing at any of the shows this weekend in Europe.
Old 05-11-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really am not following your logic. Yes, the WWE pulled UT and Angle but really has nothing to do with the tape or others asking for release or Thompson in general.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/wwe-agr...-starrcast-ii/
Old 05-11-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I imagine it has to do with security updates. I know Sony and Microsoft basically has cut off updates on their PS3 and Xbox 360 systesm, but everything else, including Apple Tv 3rd gen, and tech from 2016 still being updated by the companies so I agree with BigDave on this.
I still don't get it. Are Netflix, Hulu, etc. pulling support for these devices as well?
Old 05-11-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems Vince and WWE are being extremely vengeful and petty to Conrad Thomson for his alleged relation with AEW and for having booked Undertaker to Starcast, which WWE forced Taker to later cancel (along with Kurt Angle). Short story, Conrad had acquired a copy of the infamous Bret Hart vs Tom Magee dark match from 1986, which for some reason WWE had lost its master tapes. A lady in Florida had found the match when Bret sent her VHS tapes to be converted to DVD. Well, one of the big things at Starcast is/was supposed to be the unveiling of the tape, watching the match and then having a panel discussion with both Bret and Tom live at the event. It seems Vince got a wind of this and then this happened

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/12...twork.html?p=1
If the tape belonged to Brett, shouldn't the woman who (gave or sold the tape, not sure which) be in trouble with law enforcement?
Old 05-12-19, 07:53 AM

Sad day in wrestling yesterday as former WCW wrestler and Mexican star Silver King died during his match with Juventud Guerrera in Europe. I saw the match and King looked sluggish at the end and after he hit a clothesline on Juvi and went for the pin, King simply passed out.
Old 05-12-19, 01:10 PM

I really am not following your logic. Yes, the WWE pulled UT and Angle but really has nothing to do with the tape or others asking for release or Thompson in general.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/wwe-agr...-starrcast-ii/
The logic or line of thinking that everyone, including Conrad, have is that WWE gave him access and licensing to use the tape at Starcast II as this was going to become the main attraction in exchange for Taker and Angle being off the show and now WWE is stealing Starcast's thunder by airing the match on the WWE network, along with a documentary, 2 weeks before the event. It's pretty clear that no one at WWE had interest in doing anything about this match or Tom Magee UNTIL Conrad had it as one of the main features at Starcast. WWE could have easily done the network special after Starcast, but no, they decided to do it before the event. It has been the rumor for a while that Vince isn't happy with Starcast being closely associated with AEW and that's why they stopped Taker and Angle from doing that event. Both of them were given new contracts after they were announced for the show, especifically banning them from these type of shows. Taker had to also cancel an appearance in the UK.

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
If the tape belonged to Brett, shouldn't the woman who (gave or sold the tape, not sure which) be in trouble with law enforcement?
The tape belongs to Bret but the footage belongs to WWE. The woman is not selling the tape, she was just doing the transfer form VHS to DVD. She's a friend of Bret and knowledgeable in wrestling and Bret career. . I imagine that WWE paid Bret to get a copy of their own footage.
Old 05-12-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The logic or line of thinking that everyone, including Conrad, have is that WWE gave him access and licensing to use the tape at Starcast II as this was going to become the main attraction in exchange for Taker and Angle being off the show and now WWE is stealing Starcast's thunder by airing the match on the WWE network, along with a documentary, 2 weeks before the event. It's pretty clear that no one at WWE had interest in doing anything about this match or Tom Magee UNTIL Conrad had it as one of the main features at Starcast. WWE could have easily done the network special after Starcast, but no, they decided to do it before the event. It has been the rumor for a while that Vince isn't happy with Starcast being closely associated with AEW and that's why they stopped Taker and Angle from doing that event. Both of them were given new contracts after they were announced for the show, especifically banning them from these type of shows. Taker had to also cancel an appearance in the UK.

The tape belongs to Bret but the footage belongs to WWE. The woman is not selling the tape, she was just doing the transfer form VHS to DVD. She's a friend of Bret and knowledgeable in wrestling and Bret career. . I imagine that WWE paid Bret to get a copy of their own footage.
That makes sense. I didn't even think of that. Thanks.
Old 05-13-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Undertaker and Goldberg are set to clash for the first time ever on June 7 at WWE Super ShowDown!
Old 05-13-19, 02:23 PM

I saw that they are doing a 50 man Battle Royal and Randy Orton vs Triple H. I guess the Saudi Prince is doing the booking for this show.
Old 05-13-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Taker/Goldberg could be an interesting match. Too bad itís happening now rather than like in 2003 or so when Goldberg had his original WWE run and Undertaker was able to go more.
Old 05-14-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-14-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wowie zowie!
Old 05-14-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Variety
The WWE’s profile is expected to soar to new heights this fall as “Smackdown” premieres on Fox. And the company has the potential to become a profit-minting machine in the coming years.

Together, the WWE’s new Fox and NBCUniversal pacts are valued at an average of $465 million a year over the five-year term. That amounts to 3.6 times the value of the WWE’s previous licensing deal with NBCUniversal, which was pegged at about $130 million a year. That level of guaranteed revenue growth has fueled a 300%-plus spike in WWE’s share price (it’s hovered around $85-$88 in recent weeks after reaching a $99 high last month) and made the company a Wall Street darling.

How did McMahon engineer such a turnaround? WWE’s fortunes seemed to be diminishing quickly just a few years ago, when the stock was stuck at $11.

For one, the WWE caught a lucky break in the fall 2019 timing that marked the end of its previous NBCUniversal deal. The new Fox broadcast network is looking to emphasize sports and live events following the sale of most of Rupert Murdoch’s Hollywood empire to Disney. The WWE’s signature production — a highly rated live wrestling showcase that airs 52 weeks a year with no reruns — was clearly a perfect fit with Fox’s new focus. Fox’s largesse forced NBCUniversal to step up in a bigger way for “Raw” in order to avoid losing USA’s top-rated programming franchise entirely.

“Fox was super aggressive, and we came to a deal pretty quickly,” says Barrios.

Fox has committed to promoting WWE and its personalities across its Fox Sports broadcast and cable programs. Plugs for WWE during NFL games can only help bring new viewers to wrestling. And expect to see a fair amount of WWE stars making appearances on other Fox network series.

“WWE talent will be appearing on [Fox] programming,” McMahon says. “It’s going to be a totally integrated approach. We’ve never had a platform like this in terms of promotion. Fox is going to go all-in, and they’re great promoters.” He adds, “NBCU is going to step up as well to the equivalent of what Fox is going to do.”
https://variety.com/2019/tv/features...aw-1203213046/
Old 05-14-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has Roman Reigns been on Raw now more that he's on the Smackdown roster than when he was on the Raw roster? They have an uncanny way of taking someone that due to circumstances beyond their control should be super over to making people hate them again.
Old 05-14-19, 07:30 PM

Such bullshit. Lars should be fired
WWE supports a culture of inclusion regardless of gender, race, religion or sexual orientation, and we are committed to embracing all individuals as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide.Dylan Miley (aka Lars Sullivan) will be fined $100,000 and required to complete sensitivity training for offensive commentary uncovered from his past. WWE will also facilitate meetings for Dylan with community organizations to foster further discussion around the power of social media and the impact of your words.
Old 05-14-19, 08:13 PM

This is pretty cool

Old 05-14-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Such bullshit. Lars should be fired
If he has a hundred thousand to his name, I'm the next American Idol and I can't sing a lick! I wonder how Fox feels about getting their feet into to so much crap?
Old 05-15-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Raw's team of The Uso's are going for the Smackdown tag titles on the PPV? WTF?

Just end the brand split as they're not even pretending to respect it anymore. You don't need 2 sets of champions when any of them can be challenged for by anyone on the roster. It's just head scratching how much WWE seems to be floundering right now.
Old 05-15-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The brand split only worked when the roster was strong enough to warrant splitting it so that more stars were able to be given time. Even then I was never a huge fan of it. The current roster is made up of some very talented people, but I don't think there are enough big name draws to split into two separate rosters. It especially seems dumb when both of the networks WWE is partnered with seemingly agree, and also this new wild card rule just being disregarded constantly makes it seem even more dumb.
Old 05-15-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-15-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is an alternative to the product out there and not really a war. Treat it like a war and they won't be a second thought like when TNA attempted to go head to head.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.