Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Old 01-12-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 2019 Pro Wrestling Thread

Jim Ross is a big name, but that’s about it at this point. He was underwhelming and at times downright embarrassing on NJPW. I think he has lost it.

Lars Sullivan was supposed to debut Monday night but was pulled because he had a panic attack. He was then supposed to wrestle a dark match but again he suffered another panic attack.

Last edited by Deadman31; 01-12-19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-13-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AEW sounds like it could be really good, but I'm still an NWA guy. I love what they're doing, and they have a great history that they're trying to live up to (and they're doing a good job of it so far).
Old 01-14-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 01-14-19, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Once again, Vince makes Braun look like a bitch. Seriously, what the fuck is the whole start/stop shit they have with Braun?
Old 01-14-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just assumed today's storyline was the result of his injury not healing in time for the Rumble.
Old 01-14-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To me, the Braun ship has sailed. Plus, now it seems they are going back to ruining everyone else for Cenas sake.

what was that locker room scene with Bliss?

what the hell happened to Ambrose?

and now the Bushwhackers are out to ruin another segment.
Old 01-15-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if Cena grew his hair out because he thinks it covers the fact that he's balding.
Old 01-15-19, 12:57 PM

I always hated when Hogan and Cena "passed" the torch, but still needed to be involved and verbalized that they were giving their stamp of approval to whoever they were endorsing. To me, that's stealing the other wrestler's thunder. Hogan did it with Savage and Warrior and Cena has done it with Daniel Bryan, Reigns and Finn Balor.

Also, Michael Cole and Vince are really trying to cement Cena's legacy by saying he's the greatest ever. No, he's not. On most people's Mount Rushmore, Cena isn't included. Before him there's Hogan, Flair, Stone Cold, the Rock, Andre, Taker, HBK and even Bruno. All these guys drew money and brought wrestling to the mainstream. Cena has been the top wrestler over the past 15 years during a period where business has been down overall, mostly due to him. There's a reason why there's the Cena Sucks chant.
Old 01-15-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I always hated when Hogan and Cena "passed" the torch, but still needed to be involved and verbalized that they were giving their stamp of approval to whoever they were endorsing. To me, that's stealing the other wrestler's thunder. Hogan did it with Savage and Warrior and Cena has done it with Daniel Bryan, Reigns and Finn Balor.

Also, Michael Cole and Vince are really trying to cement Cena's legacy by saying he's the greatest ever. No, he's not. On most people's Mount Rushmore, Cena isn't included. Before him there's Hogan, Flair, Stone Cold, the Rock, Andre, Taker, HBK and even Bruno. All these guys drew money and brought wrestling to the mainstream. Cena has been the top wrestler over the past 15 years during a period where business has been down overall, mostly due to him. There's a reason why there's the Cena Sucks chant.

i dont know about all that. Cena is a major draw. Kids buy stuff and drive the business. Cena does all of that. Kids love the guy. Its the adults and attitude era peeps that hate him. Lets just be for real. He isnt the best ever but they have to say this to drive people to want to see him.
Old 01-15-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it's absurd to think that John Cena isn't one of the best ever. Cena carried the post-Attitude WWE and his reign at the top dwarfs that of the Rock and SCSA.

As an in-ring talent, agreed, he's far behind the likes of Flair and HBK. But he's one of very few that have managed to become popular in the mainstream.
Old 01-15-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Yeah it's absurd to think that John Cena isn't one of the best ever. Cena carried the post-Attitude WWE and his reign at the top dwarfs that of the Rock and SCSA.

As an in-ring talent, agreed, he's far behind the likes of Flair and HBK. But he's one of very few that have managed to become popular in the mainstream.

yep and i thought he wasnt going to be able to. Plus the shit he does for the make a wish foundation is fucking amazing. I give him any pass
Old 01-15-19, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
i dont know about all that. Cena is a major draw. Kids buy stuff and drive the business. Cena does all of that. Kids love the guy. Its the adults and attitude era peeps that hate him. Lets just be for real. He isnt the best ever but they have to say this to drive people to want to see him.

I'm not saying he's not one of the greatest ever, but did he outdrew Hogan, Rock or Stone Cold? My understanding is that even after the long run he's had, he didn't draw more money that any of those 3. And again, Cena was a big part of the WWE for the majority of low draw and ratings era (2004-2010) And I'm 100% sure that he's not the best ever drawing wise, wrestling wise or ratings wise.
Old 01-15-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not saying he's not one of the greatest ever, but did he outdrew Hogan, Rock or Stone Cold? My understanding is that even after the long run he's had, he didn't draw more money that any of those 3. And again, Cena was a big part of the WWE for the majority of low draw and ratings era (2004-2010) And I'm 100% sure that he's not the best ever drawing wise, wrestling wise or ratings wise.

if im not mistaken, he brought in the biggest amount of money for the company. I read that somewhere. Remember, WWE is all about money now to satisfy the shareholders
Old 01-15-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On most people's Mount Rushmore, Cena isn't included. Before him there's Hogan, Flair, Stone Cold, the Rock, Andre, Taker, HBK and even Bruno. All these guys drew money and brought wrestling to the mainstream. Cena has been the top wrestler over the past 15 years during a period where business has been down overall, mostly due to him. There's a reason why there's the Cena Sucks chant.
I'm not sure if that is mean't to come across like Bruno barely makes it in with the rest of that company. But Bruno Sammartino is on Mount Rushmore ahead of all of those guys with only Hogan and Andre coming close.
Old 01-15-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If depends what your parameters are for best ever. Best ever WWE. Best ever WWE/WWF , Best ever WWE/WWF/WWWF. Or best ever in the history of wrestling.

Best ever WWE, he's top 5. Best ever WWE/WWF he's latter end of top 25. Best ever WWE/WWF/WWWF he's latter end of top 50. Best ever, period. He'd be lucky to crack Top 100.
Old 01-16-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[color=left=#222222]if im not mistaken, he brought in the biggest amount of money for the company. I read that somewhere. Remember, WWE is all about money now to satisfy the shareholders[/color]
Depends on who is telling it. Bruce Prichard and others still say that Stone Cold made WWE the most money out of any superstar(which I believe because wrestling was never hotter and never will be hotter than the Austin/NWO period). Some people still claim it was Hogan. It just depends on what narrative you want to tell. We will never truly know because WWE will not disclose that information.

On another note, I'm finding it hilarious how the internet is buzzing about AEW and how WWE is scared of them, and they will be competition to them. Couple errors with that logic:
1. To most North Americans, WWE is wrestling. Just like UFC is MMA. No one will be able to change that perception because WWE has been at the forefront for too long.

2. No wrestling company that has tried to go national and compete has ever made a profit. Impact has always been a money pit. WCW was profitable for 3 years out of decade plus it was operating.

3. Unlike Ted Turner which needed WCW for programming and thus kept WCW around, the Khan's don't have a network that needs programming and if they can never make a profit, they can very easily leave just like the Carter's left TNA.

So I get why fans are excited, but they might want to temper their expectations a little bit.
Old 01-16-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Depends on who is telling it. Bruce Prichard and others still say that Stone Cold made WWE the most money out of any superstar(which I believe because wrestling was never hotter and never will be hotter than the Austin/NWO period). Some people still claim it was Hogan. It just depends on what narrative you want to tell. We will never truly know because WWE will not disclose that information.

On another note, I'm finding it hilarious how the internet is buzzing about AEW and how WWE is scared of them, and they will be competition to them. Couple errors with that logic:
1. To most North Americans, WWE is wrestling. Just like UFC is MMA. No one will be able to change that perception because WWE has been at the forefront for too long.

2. No wrestling company that has tried to go national and compete has ever made a profit. Impact has always been a money pit. WCW was profitable for 3 years out of decade plus it was operating.

3. Unlike Ted Turner which needed WCW for programming and thus kept WCW around, the Khan's don't have a network that needs programming and if they can never make a profit, they can very easily leave just like the Carter's left TNA.

So I get why fans are excited, but they might want to temper their expectations a little bit.
It's typical internet hyperbole. They aren't the saviors of the industry and the ecosystem into those guys, while loud on social media and willing to open up their wallets, is very small. What is interesting is that it tells you there is a thirst for a good version of pro-wrestling product. NJPW isn't it because they actually believe they are real athletics and are facing a mutiny. RoH isn't it because their distribution model sucks. Impact isn't it because Anthem is waiting on pins & needles to sell it. PwG is awesome but small, regional and based on performance. Etc.

I do hope AEW does well though. I was at All-In and can totally understand why they believe in themselves.
Old 01-16-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
It's typical internet hyperbole. They aren't the saviors of the industry and the ecosystem into those guys, while loud on social media and willing to open up their wallets, is very small. What is interesting is that it tells you there is a thirst for a good version of pro-wrestling product. NJPW isn't it because they actually believe they are real athletics and are facing a mutiny. RoH isn't it because their distribution model sucks. Impact isn't it because Anthem is waiting on pins & needles to sell it. PwG is awesome but small, regional and based on performance. Etc.

I do hope AEW does well though. I was at All-In and can totally understand why they believe in themselves.

i think its too little too late to compete with the WWE. WWE is the big daddy. AEW is the alternative.

Impact once tried to compete with the WWE on the same night and was demolished in the ratings. They just need to be different. As for the WWE, once HHH takes over, hopefully the NXT magic is transferred to RAW and Smackdown
Old 01-16-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a bit confused, I thought the McMahon's were going to give us more of the good shit and less of the bad shit? Well I guess we all want to see this Shane McMahon/Miz shit? They closed the show with it? I really don't think they have any idea what they're doing right now.
Old 01-16-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Monday we see Bliss nearly topless and Tuesday we see Mandy getting undressed ..more hints of Attitude Era stuff making it's way back?
Product still sucks though. Both shows I was pretty bored. Maybe with the exception of Rey and Andrade. That was pretty damn good.
As far as Strowman goes. If he is still injured and cant compete against Brock, why the hell is he turning over a damn limo
Old 01-16-19, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post

I'm not up to speed on this thing with NJPW. What's going on there?
Old 01-16-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the NJPW thing has something to do with the way they structure their contracts.
Old 01-16-19, 10:12 PM

There are several big rumors going around in WWE right now. The first one is that the brand split is going to end soon, just before Smackdown debuts on Fox. As shown on Monday, the women tag titles will be dual branded, so the barriers for this second brand extension keep dropping more and more.

The second rumor is that many wrestlers have asked for their released from WWE. The rumored list so far has been:

1. Mike Bennett and Maria Kanelis
2. The Revival
3. Dustin Rhodes
4. Zack Ryder

Third rumor is that Vince purposely played a bait and switch with the fans to sell tickets for the Royal Rumble. Apparently, the plan was all along to have Finn vs Lesnar but Vince used Braun vs Lesnar to sell tickets and then write Braun off the match.

As for the first rumor, I'm not surprised about this since probably both USA and FOX are asking to have the same top stars on their networks, in particular, Rousey. Having a brand split will prevent this from happening. Still, even from the get go, this second brand split was doomed to fail in big part due to the lax way in which certain wrestlers like Cena and the Bellas were part of both shows "as free agents" Same thing now with the NXT wrestlers. The big issue I see now is that tons of wrestlers are going to be pissed of not getting camera time. As I mentioned last week, WWE has too many wrestlers on their main roster with even more coming through the ranks of NXT. And I'm not even counting the ones now on 205 and NXT UK. Either WWE will fire tons of wrestlers or they will have to do a third show on the network or something to have these guys and girls on TV.

As for the second rumor, I'm not surprised about this due to the fact that AEW is becoming a realistic alternative. And with the rumor of the brand split ending, I imagine many wrestlers are going to strike on their own sooner rather than later when the AEW roster is then too full for them.

As for the third rumor, Vince once again has fucked up a good thing. Like I mentioned, Braun may be a one dimensional, Ultimate Warrior type of character, but he was over (as the Warrior was) and Vince has killed that heat with all the starts and stops and the foolish heel turn. People have wanted to see Braun win the title for a while, but now, he's lost that luster after losing twice to Lesnar, multiple times to Roman and being emasculated by Vince on Monday. Do you think that a face Rock or Austin would have let this happened to their characters? That's the reason why no one other than Cena can truly get over in the company.
Old 01-17-19, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I reeeeeally wanna see Dustin Rhodes end his career AS DUSTIN RHODES in a program working with Cody.
Old 01-17-19, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[COLOR=left=#333333]NWA President Billy Corgan and NWA Worlds Champion Nick Aldis appeared on Good Day Charlotte to talk about the upcoming Crockett Cup event coming to Concord, NC on April 27th, 2019 in partnership with Ring of Honor Wrestling. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=left=#333333]In this appearance, Billy Corgan answers questions on his love for professional wrestling, why he bought the NWA (National Wrestling Alliance). Nick Aldis talks about the importance of wrestling in the landmark cities of the NWA including Atlanta, GA. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=left=#333333]The NWA and Ring of Honor Wrestling are partnering to return the classic Crockett Cup event to Cabaruss Arena in Concord, NC. [/COLOR]

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 01-17-19 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Trying to get rid of all the extras on the post but it's not working.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.